Fallout 4 Finally Announced! - Page 11 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kearney FAllout Meter: DIY Foil Electroscope Fallout Meter KarlMarx DIY - Do It Yourself 5 05-27-2014 12:00 PM
Star Wars 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 announced blackkitty Books, Movies & Stories 22 10-31-2012 09:49 AM
Fed Decision Announced at 12:30 EST Bud Financial Forum 26 09-13-2012 01:01 PM
New Magpul PMAG announced Gladius Military Weapons Forum 17 01-18-2012 09:47 PM
Fallout 3/ Fallout: New Vegas Bryan Swift The Tech Zone 62 01-05-2012 06:39 PM
2011 Ig Award Winners Just Announced!! blackkitty General Discussion 1 09-30-2011 03:06 AM
Occupy Chicago Announced blackkitty General Discussion 12 09-24-2011 03:50 AM
Brand new Ruger announced today Il Duce Pistol and Revolver Forum 1 01-03-2011 01:14 PM
New Commission to study WMD's announced JRNC26 General Discussion 3 05-18-2008 02:26 PM

Old 02-05-2018, 11:02 PM

Advertise Here

Still playing the hell out of this game after all the time its been out. Dont think I saw it mentioned yet but a VR version of Fallout 4 should be dropping this year. This might be the game to get me to try out VR.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mudflap3-5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,031 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap3-5 View Post
Still playing the hell out of this game after all the time its been out. Dont think I saw it mentioned yet but a VR version of Fallout 4 should be dropping this year. This might be the game to get me to try out VR.
It's also like $699 for the whole VR set up. Otherwise I would be buying it.

As much as I love Fallout 4, I can't drop $700 on something I can't try out before buying (in-store trials). We don't have a game store up here.

Have you got any of the mods from Creation Club yet? They usually go on sale 50% or free every now and then. They're pretty good.

I have a Joe Spuckie's in Sanctuary now, lol.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:12 AM

Ive just been downloading the free stuff from there when they offer something. Ive enjoyed the DLC where you can build your own robots, cant remember the title offhand. The VR jit is pretty pricey. I think the local best buy had it for $400 last weekend. To much now considering the only other decent looking game that is compatible is gran tourismo. Recently sold a helmet that could have paid for this, only thing stopping me was knowing id probably end up divorced with all the time id be spending in the wasteland hahahaha. And id be super ****ed if i dropped the money and then they announced a PS5 next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mudflap3-5 For This Useful Post:

Old 02-08-2018, 03:40 PM
King of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap3-5 View Post
Ive just been downloading the free stuff from there when they offer something. Ive enjoyed the DLC where you can build your own robots, cant remember the title offhand. The VR jit is pretty pricey. I think the local best buy had it for $400 last weekend. To much now considering the only other decent looking game that is compatible is gran tourismo. Recently sold a helmet that could have paid for this, only thing stopping me was knowing id probably end up divorced with all the time id be spending in the wasteland hahahaha. And id be super ****ed if i dropped the money and then they announced a PS5 next year.
The DLC is Automatron or whatever. Good DLC. I have them all, currently in Far Harbor right now with my raider character.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,579 Posts
Default Fallout 4 Finally Announced!

BTW, Fallout 4 VR = awesome. Finally got a chance to try it. They let you use sort of a point-and-teleport-method of movement which does away with the funky feeling you get using controllers in VR where you kinda feel like you’re ice skating. The VR interface makes it a completely different experience... you have to play differently. For example, gun play is extremely natural. You can do some pretty good from the hip shooting... whip around and blast ghouls coming up behind you, etc. The VATS interface suffers horribly because there’s no zoom when you activate it. So if you relied heavily on VATS, you’re going to have a hard time if you continue to try to rely entirely on VATS. The good news though is that your ability to snap-shoot at shorter ranges more than makes up for it. I’ll often let the ferals run up on me and dump them with one or two well timed shots.

Long range shooting is pretty realistic in that if you bring a scoped rifle up to where you would look into the eyepiece, it changes to a scoped view. You can brace your arm and stuff to neutralize some of your natural wobble. Or, you can hip shoot, watch for the impact, correct a little and you’re usually right on. The pipe weapons were another weapon I never used in the normal version, but I’ve been using the heck out of in VR. Simply because the combination of ammo availability and the ability to spray and pray reasonably accurately with them in VR makes them viable weapons initially.

Grenades are a mixed bag. It’s hard to really throw them far, however it is incredibly satisfying if you are up on a roof, lean over and drop the grenade off the roof on unsuspecting baddies down below. I got pretty good at lobbing grenades medium distances, but couldn’t get the hang of throwing them long distances without accidentally throwing the controllers (thank God for the wrist straps on the Vive controllers). Even so, I never used grenades in the regular version, but in this version I can’t keep them in my inventory. As soon as I have an opportunity to use one, I do.

Looting and inventory management can sometimes be frustrating because sometimes you’ll hit the control pad movement that activates “take all” instead of “equip” on NPC interactions. Building settlements actually works pretty well in VR, sometimes it’s hard to string wires, but for the most part it isn’t bad.

All in all I was a little skeptical on how much fun re-playing Fallout 4 would be in VR since I had already finished the game... but like I said, it really is a new and different experience that kinda makes it new all over again.

Still, I would maybe consider waiting for the Vive Pro to come out. There’s still some noticeable “screen door” effect (able to see the spaces between pixels) on the Vive... which seems to be a touch worse than the Oculus Rift (even though the Vive is by far superior overall).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 12:43 AM
King of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImountainMan View Post
BTW, Fallout 4 VR = awesome. Finally got a chance to try it. They let you use sort of a point-and-teleport-method of movement which does away with the funky feeling you get using controllers in VR where you kinda feel like you’re ice skating. The VR interface makes it a completely different experience... you have to play differently. For example, gun play is extremely natural. You can do some pretty good from the hip shooting... whip around and blast ghouls coming up behind you, etc. The VATS interface suffers horribly because there’s no zoom when you activate it. So if you relied heavily on VATS, you’re going to have a hard time if you continue to try to rely entirely on VATS. The good news though is that your ability to snap-shoot at shorter ranges more than makes up for it. I’ll often let the ferals run up on me and dump them with one or two well timed shots.

Long range shooting is pretty realistic in that if you bring a scoped rifle up to where you would look into the eyepiece, it changes to a scoped view. You can brace your arm and stuff to neutralize some of your natural wobble. Or, you can hip shoot, watch for the impact, correct a little and you’re usually right on. The pipe weapons were another weapon I never used in the normal version, but I’ve been using the heck out of in VR. Simply because the combination of ammo availability and the ability to spray and pray reasonably accurately with them in VR makes them viable weapons initially.

Grenades are a mixed bag. It’s hard to really throw them far, however it is incredibly satisfying if you are up on a roof, lean over and drop the grenade off the roof on unsuspecting baddies down below. I got pretty good at lobbing grenades medium distances, but couldn’t get the hang of throwing them long distances without accidentally throwing the controllers (thank God for the wrist straps on the Vive controllers). Even so, I never used grenades in the regular version, but in this version I can’t keep them in my inventory. As soon as I have an opportunity to use one, I do.

Looting and inventory management can sometimes be frustrating because sometimes you’ll hit the control pad movement that activates “take all” instead of “equip” on NPC interactions. Building settlements actually works pretty well in VR, sometimes it’s hard to string wires, but for the most part it isn’t bad.

All in all I was a little skeptical on how much fun re-playing Fallout 4 would be in VR since I had already finished the game... but like I said, it really is a new and different experience that kinda makes it new all over again.

Still, I would maybe consider waiting for the Vive Pro to come out. There’s still some noticeable “screen door” effect (able to see the spaces between pixels) on the Vive... which seems to be a touch worse than the Oculus Rift (even though the Vive is by far superior overall).
Thanks for the decent write up, nearly makes me want to pay the $699 for it.

I've never played a virtual reality game before, if there was any game I wanted to break my VR cherry, it would be Fallout 4.

I'm a pro Fallout 4 player, lol.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
Thanks for the decent write up, nearly makes me want to pay the $699 for it.

I've never played a virtual reality game before, if there was any game I wanted to break my VR cherry, it would be Fallout 4.

I'm a pro Fallout 4 player, lol.

First Person Shooters can be tricky with VR because any movement your character makes that isn’t you physically moving (which is why room-scale VR is nice) can trigger... discomfort. Especially if it’s rapid direction changes. I’m more resistant to VR-induced motion sickness than most, but I tried to play Half-Life 2 in VR at one point using an Oculus Rift and just about threw up. If the movement was dampened down a bit, it might have been okay.

The VR experiences that really shine are one that use cockpits. Whether it’s a space ship, car, jet cockpit, or giant stomping robot... when you have that stationary cockpit as a reference, it really helps with the immersion. DCS World (flight simulator), Elite:Dangerous (space sim), Project Cars (driving sim), and Subnautica (underwater diving sim), and Fallout 4VR are probably my top 5. Alien:Isolation is pretty damn cool in VR, but requires modding to get it going.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post: