Rats, Lots of Rats - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RATS oif1man Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 03-24-2016 10:26 PM
Poisoned Rats katch22 General Discussion 10 06-09-2014 06:23 PM
Anyone else see rats swimming? askjoe10 Financial Forum 1 04-30-2014 12:24 PM
Any Gym Rats Here ? Carne Frio Jokes, Humor & Music 3 07-03-2011 08:56 PM
Rats taking over stilllearning Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 04-01-2010 10:46 PM
Dirty Rats! TrysteofFate Jokes, Humor & Music 5 02-13-2010 12:57 PM
Somali Pee-Rats Halkon Controversial News and Alternative Politics 31 05-03-2009 06:28 PM
Living off of rats Jevaud Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 88 02-20-2009 08:30 PM
Hordes of RATS! kev General Discussion 1 04-26-2007 02:04 AM

Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,204 Times in 5,724 Posts

Advertise Here

take a rat and feed it to the chickens, a few times and I guarantee you they will go nuts with them.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,945 Times in 925 Posts
Exclamation

This farm was covered up with rodents when I bought it.

I put baitboxs around the house and barn that ended the problem. I fill them 3-4 times a year and make sure they are topped off right before Fall when everything is looking for winter quarters.

Cats do help, but I've not had luck with them wiping out the problem.

SD
Old 02-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Target Shooter

put small bowls of coke (or any soda). Rats don't belch easily, they get terrible tummy aches and eventually die. Unlike poisons this isn't toxic to anything that eats them.
The Following User Says Thank You to BoiseElkhorn For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,123 Times in 3,376 Posts

Meow?
Meow.
Pad pad pad pad pad pad.... pad pad pad.... pad.
Twitch.
Twitch twitch twitch.
Twitch.

THUMP!
eeek!

THUMP!
Eeek! thump eeek! thump eeek! thump.

Thump pad thump pad thump pad thump pad thump pad thump pad...

eeek!
THUMP!

Thump thump thump thump thump thump thump
Grrrrrrowl....

Thump ssssss thump sssss thump sssss

Meow?
Thump thump

Twitch

Thump

Bite thump bite bite chew slurp chew chew slurp chew slurp slurp

Pad pad pad

thump
Lick wipe lick wipe lick wipe

Prrrrrrrrrrrrr......

I vote for good mousing cats (AKA automatic, self cleaning rodent killing and disposal devices).

Those nasty rodents deserve to be pushed around with sharp claws and when kitty gets bored with playing, have their heads bitten off!

I survived a horrible infestation... never again without cat(s)... self-renewing preps! Probably really important (maybe critical) for health and sanitation if TEOTWAWKI SHTF.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,851 Times in 5,291 Posts

I absolutely LOVE animals, and so I have 2 cats and a terrier to go with my chickens. Once or twice a week a rodent will be lovingly laid at my doorstep or found in the yard, but I have never seen rodent damage. One of my cats is useless a hunter but the terrier and the other cat work very very hard at it!

That being said, I heard of a better mousetrap! For mice you will need a 5 gallon bucket, for rats I suspect something deeper so they cannot go out the top.

You will need a stick to go across the rim of the bucket. Drill a hole in the stick so you can run a rod through the hole, so that the weight of the rodent makes the end of the stick drop down into the bucket and then the weight of the stick brings the stick back out of the bucket. Fasten down the ends of the rod
I forget how)Set the contraption so that a mouse can easily reach the outside end of the stick and drop a handful of feed in the bucket.

The rodent smells the food, crawls out onto the stick, and falls into the bucket and cannot get out. The next mouse does the same thing, and the next. So in the morning you have a bucket of living mice to dispose of, as when the lever goes back up the trap is automatically reset. Some people will put water in the bottom to drown the rodents, I suppose they must use a bait that floats like floating fish food?

I always thought this sounded like it should work for a bad infestation, because the trap resets itself. Fortunately I have never had more than a couple of mice in the hen house, which I dealt with by propping open the door so my pets could get at them. At any rate if you have a chicken or a puppy I would not use this trap, as they could get stuck inside. Baby ANYTHING have no sense!

OH! An Amish gentleman protects his vegetable garden by dropping poison bait into a v shaped pvc pipe. and then he wires it to a wall. The mice can get in but the cat cannot. The downside is that a cat may eat the sick mouse and die, and a mousing cat is a very fine thing to have hunting in your garden! Also the owner would be your neighbor, and he would be angry if something happen to his pet.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,851 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasniper View Post
The old time way to get rid of rats. Rats are community animals so you catch one alive
roll up some news paper light it singe the hair off the rat let him go , he will run home the other rats can not stand the smell of fire and will leave and he will follow and they will just keep running from him. Also rats can not regurgitate mix some cement (dry) with
food for them, it sets up in their bowels, no more rat. JT
About the fire trick: rodents LOVE to nest in barns!

Cats are safer, and less likely to burn down the barn!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:34 PM

When I had my infestation, prior to getting the cat, I tried virtually everything on the market, and a few home made things. Nothing worked except a Rat Zapper. Rat zappers work well on mice and "smallish" rats (not the big river rats). Humane in that the rodent is electrocuted instantly. You never have to see or touch the rodent (dump rodent into trash when you see the blinking red light, then rebait and reset).

The mouse versions sold in big box stores do not work--the one mouse that was stupid enough to go inside one of those only got stunned, and then it escaped (probably told all its friends and family to beware the black boxes with the hole on the end)

However... Rat Zappers are expensive. For the price of a few (plus 4 AA batteries for each), you could adopt a cat from a shelter and pay for food and litter for a year.

Meow!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:23 AM
gard'ner

While my cats do a bang-up job catching rats, sometimes there are places that the cats can't get to...
A friend brought out a travel trailer, and the rats moved in....
I caught them with a havahart squirrel trap...
http://youtu.be/uuXCUC8AdBQ

Also works for mice...
http://www.stonethegardener.com/wp/2...n/caged-mouse/

Brought the caged rat out, showed it to the cats... opened the cage... rat took off... didn't get very far....

I recently helped someone clear out the attic... The rats had large stockpiles of poison bait... up there inside rolls of carpet...
Seems that they don't actually eat the bait.... they carry it off and stash it...

Brought the carpet to my house... some of the missed rat bait fell out of the carpet... the cats went for it... I tried to gather up the poison, don't know how much the cats ate before I could take it away from them...
Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,214 Times in 4,810 Posts

We get mice inside the house now and then. The cat makes short work of them. One morning I'm going to work, think the cat is playing with a toy mouse by the stairs. Wrong.. it was the real deal. My son came down next and took it away from her. It was dead. I understand they die from the fright.

Another time, me and my wife are on the main floor of the house and the cat bags one. My wife goes to take it from the cat and the cat drops it live.. into one of my shoes in the foyer. Thanks, that went right out the front door.

I had these big Norwegian rats in my yard maybe 15 years ago. They came from next door where the yard was being cleaned out. I had them under my gas grill, in the garage too. I set out about 6 of those big Victor snap-traps and some big glue traps nailed to short pieces of 2" x 6" lumber. I bagged about 8 of them in the course of 2 weeks.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,200 Times in 8,091 Posts

STon3, I'll be praying kitties aren't affected.

I have a pair of idiots - great hunters but they'd do something like that. When I rescued them they were being kicked in the head - sometimes they prove it left damage.

Imfart... kitty actually delivers a killing bite to the back of the neck, severing the spinal cord. I've seen quite a bit with my "kids".
Old 02-27-2015, 10:17 PM

When I've watched my cats hunt, it seems that the mice die when the cats get too rough while "playing." Claw(s) and or too-hard batting. After the mouse is dead, sometimes they drop the it in the water bowl before eating. Sometimes the first step in the "disposal stage" is to bite the head off. The tail is usually last.

It's fun watching two play "ping pong" or "hockey" with a mouse... especially on a slick floor...

Last edited by Old fart; 02-27-2015 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: ..........
Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,214 Times in 4,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
When I've watched my cats hunt, it seems that the mice die when the cats get too rough while "playing." Claw(s) and or too-hard batting. After the mouse is dead, sometimes they drop the it in the water bowl before eating. Sometimes the first step in the "disposal stage" is to bite the head off. The tail is usually last.

It's fun watching two play "ping pong" or "hockey" with a mouse... especially on a slick floor...
Quite possible she got too rough with the 1st one she got. Definitely a great mouser for an inside cat. I only saw outside cats dismember mice and moles.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:55 PM
But it's nothing personal

Cats! I had mice and rat problem bad. Big rats. I got 2 big male cats from an ad in town. Let me tell you they did not enjoy the ride and they went flying out my truck when I got home....but they both had rats when I found them not 5 minutes later. Who or what else works that good?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ih8ppl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by London808 View Post
So i have a Rat problem, I have chickens in my yard and rats started becoming a problem a few months ago, I would trap some and shoot some every so often but Now they have started eating my Garden (fruits) and they just got into my mealworm farm.

I have tried snap traps, electronic traps, bait/poison,

Any suggestions on what works for you guys ?

(i tried to search but got mostly random posts, not sure if im doing it wrong)
You need cats, lots of cats.
The Following User Says Thank You to iwillsurvive5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Survivor

I've had a series of rescue cats. One dies, another shows up.

The mature cats always teach the new ones how to "rat".
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I've had a series of rescue cats. One dies, another shows up.

The mature cats always teach the new ones how to "rat".
I had two cats teach a dog to mouse
Old 03-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Oh, awesome.

Was it a big dog?
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Learning

Thanked 6,564 Times in 3,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseElkhorn View Post
put small bowls of coke (or any soda). Rats don't belch easily, they get terrible tummy aches and eventually die. Unlike poisons this isn't toxic to anything that eats them.
This is what my dad did at one of the places he used to work. He said he drew the line when a rat climbed on the lunch table and stole his sandwich!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
Quite possible she got too rough with the 1st one she got. Definitely a great mouser for an inside cat. I only saw outside cats dismember mice and moles.
If you have rodents inside, cut way back on the food and provide plenty of fresh water for the indoor cat(s). This will encourage indoor cat(s) to hunt, kill, and dispose of the nasty, creepy, icky, dirty, horrible rodents.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Oh, awesome.

Was it a big dog?
Yes... Siberian Husky German Shepherd mix.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post: