Why I don't think pm are worth investing into for shtf or teotwawki - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HUGE 4gb+ worth of Dedicated TEOTWAWKI manuals! andyhuk Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 09-07-2015 02:21 PM
Why I Don't Care What People Think About Investing In PMs For TEOTWAWKI DPris Financial Forum 30 01-07-2015 09:32 AM
When will you be too old for SHTF or TEOTWAWKI Dexx Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 79 09-09-2014 01:01 PM
question about investing in gold for when SHTF knotredy Financial Forum 20 04-03-2014 12:14 PM
Investing in the face of Economic SHTF Sparks69 Financial Forum 12 10-18-2013 08:18 PM
Best SHTF/TEOTWAWKI bag xmasamakerx2 Pistol and Revolver Forum 5 05-20-2013 02:02 AM
What will PM's realy be worth post SHTF or TEOTWAWKI TOOL&DIEMAN Financial Forum 18 07-30-2012 09:48 PM
Is Gold Worth Investing in for Post-SHTF? HeavyTakeMusic Controversial News and Alternative Politics 45 06-18-2012 02:25 AM
The logic behind investing in precious metals for SHTF. Tactical_N_Practical General Discussion 4 01-12-2012 05:08 AM
Shtf...teotwawki... [email protected] Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 07-16-2008 10:02 AM

Old 01-02-2015, 08:17 AM

Default Why I don't think pm are worth investing into for shtf or teotwawki

Advertise Here

Simply put for short term shtf there isn't enough time for them to come into play.

Even in a teotwawki senario not everyone has precious metals, so how would they trade? If they traded goods for pm to get in the system my question would be whats the logic? Trading supplies for something that might not be used widely isn't logical.

If it was widespread unless someone in your area can make silver currency, how can you keep up with any growth in your area?(If you're advanced enough to have currency you'll have growth of population in a given area coming in from lower areas)

The only reason I'd consider pm is for non emergency use for investment.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 09:10 AM

Everyone seems to have a few scenarios in mind when they are prepping. I think most of the precious metals folks are prepping for something along the lines of a Great Depression type event. So with climbing prices and limited cash flow, precious metals might still be a realistic monetary replacement.

If you are planning for a full blown, complete collapse then PM is probably not worth taking a priority in your prep investments. It will take quite a bit of societal rebuilding (i.e. a majority of people not starving) before non-life sustaining things have much value.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to noshoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,324 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_joe View Post
Simply put for short term shtf there isn't enough time for them to come into play.

Even in a teotwawki senario not everyone has precious metals, so how would they trade? If they traded goods for pm to get in the system my question would be whats the logic? Trading supplies for something that might not be used widely isn't logical.

If it was widespread unless someone in your area can make silver currency, how can you keep up with any growth in your area?(If you're advanced enough to have currency you'll have growth of population in a given area coming in from lower areas)

if you don't want to invest in PM's then don't. Simple. Others might, others wont...to each their own
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:

Old 01-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:

I agree with you line of thinking hear but what if the zombie apocalypse never comes? PM's are a great hedge against all sorts of financial disasters.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BHump For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHump View Post
I agree with you line of thinking hear but what if the zombie apocalypse never comes? PM's are a great hedge against all sorts of financial disasters.
I agree with you on this that they are great for depression era type disaster or for non apocalypse type scenario I'm just talking about end of the world type evens that some are so fond of.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Vampire Slayer

Thanked 12,066 Times in 3,981 Posts

PMs are a way to carry wealth through hard times. When things start to pick up again, I expect them to be more valuable than paper money. I don't plan to barter with PMs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buffy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 10:02 AM
I choose freewill....

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,378 Posts

Well since we've never had SHTF here, PM's are one more hedge. Are we really going to need 10,000 rounds of .223? Who knows. Small scale wars and gun bans may never come, but since folks around here are of a certain mindset then 10,000 rounds are simply a good start - as are 100oz of silver or a few ounces of gold.

I don't think I've ever seen/read one person stating that PM's are the only answer, in fact most say they're the last answer when prepping (for anything). If you stack product X and I stack (some) silver, come financial hardships (for whatever reason) then I'm betting my silver will be far more readily exchangeable than product X. But then, who knows - few living folks left from the depression and it was FAR different back then.

We don't when or if anything bad will come. With current technology we may never really see a fiat collapse for decades or scores. Of course, bread may run $20 a loaf but I have a feeling you'll be getting it with US dollars and not the latest fiat. Of course, just like anyone on this board or any other board or any financial/PM 'guru' this is all speculation as no one KNOWS what's coming.

Stack or don't stack, you's got's to do what's good's for you's. There is no measuring stick or grade with prepping.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 10:32 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

Quote:
I agree with you on this that they are great for depression era type disaster or for non apocalypse type scenario I'm just talking about end of the world type evens that some are so fond of.
So what's your point? That less likely events are more relevant?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Semper Gumby

Thanked 2,369 Times in 782 Posts

Either do or don't do. You've got to go with what you really think will work best for you.

I already take PMs 'in trade' for dental services.

Further, if there were just the right opportunity to obtain something I would place high value on, I'd dip (deeply) into my PM stack and get it now.

....such as land, business, rental property, extreme health emergency, etc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dochudson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 01:29 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,192 Times in 8,929 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Just like any other prepper activity or storage, looked at as insurance, I want PMs for those times where PMs are the only thing that will get me what I need. Will that ever come up? I do not know. I do know that it might come up, so I prepare for it. Assuming a set of general situations will never happen is just as bad as assuming only certain general situation will happen. I prepare for the widest set of possibilities as I can. That includes some possible need for PMs in the future.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 56,197 Times in 18,350 Posts

You have a chicken.

I have fish.

Neither of us wants chicken or fish.

How do we trade?

This is not hard people, people figured this out over 5,000 years ago!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 01:49 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomofSpeech View Post
Well since we've never had SHTF here,
What? Where do you live that you've never had TSHTF? Can't be central minn? I've lived there & N.D. most of my life. They get blizzards, tornado's floods, etc.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:50 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,106 Posts

I like how people have some mad max world pet scenario and figure that is the only thing that could ever happen and therefore despite THOUSANDS of years of history, they issue a royal decree deeming PM's worthless.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,247 Times in 392 Posts

gold might not be, but silver should be useful in SHTF scenarios if ppl knew it's ability to kill bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, molds, etc. you just have to convince ppl it's not snake oil.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 26,045 Times in 7,052 Posts

Quote:

You have obviously never done any reading by FerFal. PMs as part of a fully diversified prep scenario is an excellent way of balancing your ability to trade for those things you cannot stock like, perhaps dental work of a doctor visit.

Far too many folks look past the usefulness of PMs incorporated into their preparations, but you must do what you feel will work for you. Pms are just a great way to store a lot of value in a small space. Much like a firearm (or parachute), when you need it you need it now,,,, and if you do not have it you may never need it again.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sierra skier For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 03:23 PM
I choose freewill....

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
What? Where do you live that you've never had TSHTF? Can't be central minn? I've lived there & N.D. most of my life. They get blizzards, tornado's floods, etc.
Really? You've had storms and floods so bad that you've needed to trade in PM's or barter other products because dollars wouldn't be taken? That's what the OP was about (which, btw, he stated up front that a short term event wouldn't allow PM's to come into play) and what I was talking about, not an ice storm, some heavy snow or a bunch of towns that refuse to leave a known flood zone.

I've lived in the Mid-West most of my life, spent a few years in Kansas too, and no matter how bad the flood, storm, twister or whatever we still bought and sold with the US dollar.

Unless you can share a time in the last 50 - 60 years or so that a town/state didn't have access to US dollars (or FRN's - whatever you want to call them) for rebuilding? I'd love to hear about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 03:28 PM
I choose freewill....

To the OP. PM's aren't the absolute answer to everything that may or may not come with a SHTF situation. But gathering a roll of SAE's and some 1/10 or 1/4 oz Maples (just a few) and tossing them in a drawer won't be much $$$ at all right now and then you have at least one financial arrow in your prep's quiver that could be useful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 03:40 PM

Its been eye opening to read a number of first person accounts of those that actually experienced their country drooping into civil war and/or collapse....what worked, what happened, the sequence, time frames, and who lived and why.

Its been educational to read histories and how fast barter was established, what people would trade/steal/kill for and how long it took to establish and when was the most dangerous times.

Barter was starting within 12 hours in urban areas, often fully established after about 10 days. The small unit PMs surfaced almost immediately but began establishing themselves as a central unit of exchange after 3 weeks to a month.

Someone with significant quantities of PMs were often the ones that could buy a quantity or arrange for resupply and resale/trade/barter for a profit.....create a store so to speak.

Forming partnerships and self protection clans with the max amount of skill sets often determined who lived. You can't be on guard 24/7.

From day 3 to 21 were very dangerous....maybe the most deadly. Be prepared to hunker down and protect yourself and what you have.....don't go out unless with a well armed group. Lots of folk will die. Those still alive have a chance of starting the new economy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Fertilizer Producer

Thanked 7,887 Times in 2,267 Posts

Well yeah, the zombie apocalypse would render most PMs worthless. Unless you could only kill the zombies with silver bullets, in which case you'll do alright.

If, however, a SHTF scenario resembles FerFal's experiences (which is much more likely), then you'll be glad that you have some PMs, if only for the fact that they represent a means of transferring some (any) of your wealth out of the country if/when you decide to flee.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wayson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 16,936 Times in 5,083 Posts

Historically.... PM is the vehicle of choice of the wealthy to preserve and transfer wealth.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post: