Do You Have a Survival Room? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my survival room. slipyoke Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 02-09-2015 07:21 PM
The Room ecocks Books, Movies & Stories 33 04-10-2014 08:29 AM
No room/Can't dig! JaniceK Urban Survival 17 11-13-2012 06:45 PM
I found the Zombie Zone in an Irish Chat room, no survival usmountains Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 03-15-2011 06:03 AM
Got Room? txhc Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 02-27-2011 07:10 PM
Now this is a Gun Room Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 01-20-2010 10:32 AM
How much room: hillsidedigger Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 02-20-2009 08:03 PM
Every Orc In The Room Kregener Military Weapons Forum 2 10-29-2008 09:43 PM

Old 12-09-2014, 02:38 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
Yes, it's affectionately called the "Obama Room" in my basement

Looking Real Good!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PreppingPros.com For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,060 Times in 5,278 Posts

Most normal people refer to those as "Man Caves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshSelf View Post
I am not talking about a bunker, rather i am talking about a room with your gear either ready to go or bug in.

Mine consists of a shelf full of survival books and manuals, blue prints, binders full of notes, and projects I have done such as my solar panel project. There is a desk to work at with a cork board behind it to pin papers to. I also can clean guns and work on projects at the desk. There is also a cork board on the wall with local maps and plans. Survival seeds are stored on a shelf. A large collection of knives is contained in my grandfathers chest from Vietnam. Next to the chest I have a window seat that was removed from a room which i call the bug out box. It has everything I need to throw in the car at a moments notice. This is only the minimal amount of gear though. I have an end table with a radio scanner and CB right next to my desk.

Under my basement stairs there is a closet where all of my camping gear is such as a stack of sleeping bags, tents, bows hung on the wall, flashlights, tarps and such.

Anyone else? OR any Ideas? This is not along the line of bunkers, but if you have a room set up like this or related please share.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's affectionately called the "Obama Room" in my basement

I love the name!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoshSelf For This Useful Post:

Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
Most normal people refer to those as "Man Caves"
Oh my man cave isn't like that. It has a work out system, two drum sets, guitars, and a marimba... and more instruments and books... That is the man cave.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:15 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,752 Times in 753 Posts

"Do You Have a Survival Room?"

Never.

I do not feel a need, to go around hiding in my own house/property.

I enjoy my Freedom too much, to be scared ****less of any unknown threat.

I want them to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt; just who is protecting me and mine.......
Old 12-09-2014, 10:04 PM

We have a "safe room" as we call it, mainly for tornados as we live in central Oklahoma.

We have a 900 sq/ft basement with small 15' x 15' room off of one corner. This room is concrete reinforced, with 6" concrete ceiling, and a steel door. I don't keep many of our "preps" in this room however.

The main threat/reason for use would be for inclement weather, but we live 6 miles outside of a town of 4,500, with only 3 houses within a mile in any direction. My wife and I have a 18 month old daughter, and another one on the way. So safety from the outside world is another reason. I have a two way radio, land line phone, and weapons in this room. Some food, chairs, things to be comfortable if we had to be in there for a few days. It is more for peace of mind for myself and the wife more than anything. But they are to go down there and lock themselves in the safe room if I'm not home and someone comes to the door.

A couple months back, 2 guys came by the house when they saw my wife pull into the drive. I was home, in the house with the little one, but did not see/hear them or know my wife had arrived home. They asked my wife if I was home, she said I was, but didn't ask to speak with me. They asked some strange questions and mentioned they could hear our bloodhound bark while the deer hunted a 1/2 mile away. My wife had an uneasy feeling about it, as did I. Since then, she has finally agreed that she needs to become more comfortable with my firearms and be able to safely and accurately use one if necessary. This delighted me!!

Long story, but I feel confident that if someone manages to break through the steel door and dead bolts, my wife will promptly fill them with slugs/00 shot from my 12 gauge. Hopefully she will feel much for comfortable with the .38 special in the coming months.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,508 Times in 8,132 Posts

Mine:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
Mine:
I gotta get out of Florida so I can have one of THOSE basements.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Mine:
Is that from the movie RED?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:39 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 89,389 Times in 23,650 Posts

Quote:
Mine:
Nice BJJ

Is that home or is that the office supplies?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Don't start no mess

Thanked 11,904 Times in 3,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
I have areas in the basement where I store preps. All are hidden, under workbenches, inside metal cabinets, inside closets, etc. It's the same general area as my shop.
I like the hidden concept. I mix it up though. I strive for a combination of ready accessibility and difficult to locate for burglars. Although I have greater than average preventative systems in place, since I am not in the house 24/7, there is always a chance that uninvited guests will drop by. They would have to spend hours searching out all of my supplies.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 AM

Here's my apartment as well as some thoughts on storage solutions for prepping in an apartment.

ZombieLand--- Prepping in an Apartment: http://youtu.be/-g8EAULBRa0
Old 12-10-2014, 11:01 AM

I don't have an Obama room. Instead I have a George W Bush room. I use it when I want to torture some foreign suspects. Or was the phrase 'enhanced interrogation'? I always get mixed up between the two ofnthem.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 PM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 89,389 Times in 23,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisdevie View Post
I don't have an Obama room. Instead I have a George W Bush room.
Well, you could make a Nanci Pelosi room. But you have to buy it first to find out "what's inside".

If you buy an "Barrack Obama Room" there is some type of guarantee that if you "like your room you can keep your room"

Old 12-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Prepared

I am putting the finishing touches on my room now. I have a four + car attached garage with nearly 10 foot ceiling that I took a full third of and walled off, it measure about 10x25. I was gifted a ton of hard foam insulation sheets and building materials that an uncle no longer needed so I put about half of that insulation into this project with 2x8 walls.

I super-insulated the walls of the room so that the heating cost with a tiny electric heater is minimal. The walls are about R35 and the ceiling close to that figure as well. The heater almost never turns on when the thermostat is set at 60 degrees and it is 10 degrees outside. It would have been very difficult to heat this room using our wood stove in the house without some fairly serious and expensive modifications to the house and changes to the propane back-up furnace.

In this room we have about half of our food storage. The other half is off-site so that we don't have all our eggs in one basket.

We also have our gun safes, gunsmithing, reloading setups, dry pack canner (metal can sealer), butchering and food preservation equipment all in this room. And all of our outdoor gear like sleeping bags, tents. And water storage too. Buckets and #10's of grain and many other things. And a bunch of regular canned food. Hunting clothes/outdoor cloths. Water filter setup.

I also picked up a ton of cabinets in good condition that I hung in this room. And a bunch of lower cabinets as well. I traded the use of my wood splitter for the counter-tops from my uncle who had a bunch sitting around. It is damn nice to have a place to work on projects or butcher an animal. Especially when you can work in relative comfort. I used to hate cutting up deer or other animals in a cold garage. Doable but a PITA when it gets real cold.

I have a few things to do yet with the room. I'm going to rearrange the safes and rebolt them in a different location within the room so I can open up one end of the room more. There is just enough room in there now to get around the work bench which is 4x8. I will also over time get rid of the rack shelving and build permanent shelving to take advantage of the high ceilings. But that is down the road.

Organization is important to success in my opinion when it comes to being a survivalist. If you need something you should not have to spend a long time looking for it.

I have also finished taking a last third of the garage and also walled it off for a small gym with treadmill and other workout stuff (super-insulated it as well). I think physical fitness is the most under-rated prep there is and something that a large percentage of survivalists ignore at their peril. I'm going to build fold-up bunk beds of some type for that room and have a small wood-burning stove ready to go for it if the time comes when a few others in my small circle of survival friends need to come here for whatever reason. The last third I'm keeping open with just two freezers in and the woodpile for the wood stove in the house. This spot is for working on vehicles or the tractor so it has only the freezers and my tools.

I bought this place because I thought I could over time turn it into what I thought was needed to ride out most storms. This room and the gift of the insulation and a few other materials helped me on the way to my goal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Nice BJJ

Is that home or is that the office supplies?
I am pretty sure it's a diorama.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Anti-Social

Thanked 1,348 Times in 274 Posts

NICE Ohioman, thanks for sharing the pics of the food storage!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Possum-Pie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2014, 01:33 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IYAPYSNF View Post
Is that from the movie RED?
Yes!

The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2014, 01:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,805 Times in 901 Posts

We just call ours the 'storage room'. Pretty innocuous if we need to mention it around anyone we don't know or want them to know. It stays between 50 and 65 degrees year round so is great for food storage. Most other preps are kept between there and the garage.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,428 Times in 3,474 Posts

We set up a room with a positive air flow capacity, using a HEPA filter and shop vac in putting air from a hole in the wall leading to garage. I haven't practiced that for years, but with the doors shut, air comes in via the vacuum, is filtered, and exits under the closed doorway. Flashlights, food and other gear in that room plus HAM and computer. On generator circuits.

All probably pretty useless in retrospect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaBar67 For This Useful Post: