Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traditional martial arts or mma Grass hopper Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 95 06-18-2017 09:23 AM
Martial Arts trail walker Health, Fitness and First Aid 89 04-05-2016 09:30 PM
Martial Arts/Self Defense jlee1 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 123 01-26-2014 03:41 PM
Martial Arts Thoughts... anmut Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 130 11-28-2013 08:31 PM
Kid's martial arts Stealthy1 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 6 12-04-2012 10:17 PM
Filipino martial arts mbkirkpatrick Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 7 08-24-2012 12:55 PM
Martial Arts SilverSpLou Health, Fitness and First Aid 35 01-09-2011 07:09 AM
Martial arts AffairAtLexington Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 80 10-10-2009 03:06 PM
Western martial arts AncientBrit Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 20 09-20-2009 02:53 PM

Old 04-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

I have training in Tae Kwon Do, Aikido and Krav Maga I started very young and I am still training in Krav Maga.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
really? Show evidence.

Have you ever seen the street fighter vs martial artist vids?

Muay Thai Fighter Vs Street Fighter. HEAD KICK KNOCK OUT - YouTube

Aggression is fine when you are winning. It disappears when you are getting smashed.

Sam Payne 2nd fight - Fred Brophy's boxing tent - Blackwater 06/05/2012 - YouTube

We have had some tent boxers in with us. They are OK but not usually top class. Yet the travel from town to town routinely cleaning peoples clock who are using pretty much just agression .
Trained fighters are trained fighters. No argument there.

I wrestled competitively from the time I was a little kid until I was 17 years old. Did a little boxing, and a little bit of martial arts, on the side. You don't lose it. It's always there, and has come in handy over the years.

But that makes up only a fraction of the people on this planet.

If you want to teach someone how to fight in a week, you need to teach them to be as aggressive as possible, and forget the fancy stuff. Straight punches, until somebody stops. In my opinion.

You can't teach muscle memory in 20 hours. You can't teach people not to panic, in 20 hours.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeshu View Post

You can't teach muscle memory in 20 hours. You can't teach people not to panic, in 20 hours.
Muscle memory is overrated...Police and Military hand to hand combat doesn't rely on muscle memory.
They teach you the basics and that's pretty much it.
I would say that 20 hours of hand to hand is about all you ever get in many police depts..maybe not even that.

Teaching people not to panic...that's not the issue...people have to learn to be able to control the panic...which is what police and military operators do.

Huge maniac dude is swinging a machete at you...you'll panic, I don't care how much training you've had...a good operator will control the panic and do what he or she has to do.

Panic is just another word for fear.
Only the dead have seen the end of fear...misquoting Plato.

You obviously can teach someone some basics of self-defence in 20 hours...and that would be a base that they can practice the techniques from and expand on if the desire took them.

Note that the majority of police officers around the world barely know even the basics of self-defence, and that's part of the business they're in.
Same for a lot of bouncers.
Workable self-defence is more about your confidence, strength and speed than anything else.

A lot of bouncers here in Sydney are Pacific Islanders...they don't know sh*t about self-defence...they're just big and/or thickset and much stronger than the average person...good luck trying some martial art moves on them, they'll tear your arm off and hand it back to you with a polite smile on their face.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Thanked 6,851 Times in 1,936 Posts

I did Judo for two years
Been doing BJJ now for three years

I want to take up some boxing or karate
Old 04-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Hiker

Another of these posts about h2h and the "better" ma.... ugh.
Yes, training in some form of h2h is a very good thing and is a piece of the shtf scenario puzzle. Being physically capable is the better aspect in any shtf scenario. But even the physically fit become old and the abilities diminish over time; that needs to figure into one's considerations. Or, if you are someone, such as myself, with nearly 40 years ma experience and then have surgery to remove a brain tumor; you find that you've lost a huge percentage of physical adroitness... you just try to maintain what's left and work to keep it a level to use if ever it becomes needed to do so.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:07 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis tobogen View Post
I did Judo for two years

Muay Thai, best of both worlds.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,481 Times in 8,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqhama View Post
Muay Thai, best of both worlds.
Boxing can be a bit better for grappling. The stance has a heavier front foot.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Huge maniac dude is swinging a machete at you...you'll panic, I don't care how much training you've had...a good operator will control the panic and do what he or she has to do.

Panic is just another word for fear.
Horse****. Fear is always with us. Panic is something else, something debilitating.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
My background is in: Judo, Muay Thai and Krav Maga/Combatives, add in some Berserker and a little Escrima, and life is good...
This is REALLY good combination.

Especially if you have someone to practice with that is similarly well rounded so you can mix up your styles.

To the OP in my opinion self defense is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT survival skill you can have.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis tobogen View Post
I did Judo for two years

From a pure survival skills standpoint Krav Maga would be better.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Horse****. Fear is always with us. Panic is something else, something debilitating.
Dictionary definition of panic:

panic1
ˈpanɪk/
noun
noun: panic

sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behaviour.
"she hit him in panic"
synonyms: alarm, anxiety, nervousness, fear, fright, trepidation, dread, terror, horror, agitation, hysteria, consternation, perturbation, dismay, disquiet, apprehension, apprehensiveness;
informalflap, fluster, state, cold sweat, funk, tizzy, tizz;
informalswivet
"she felt a wave of panic"

verb
verb: panic; 3rd person present: panics; past tense: panicked; past participle: panicked; gerund or present participle: panicking

feel or cause to feel panic.

"the crowd panicked and stampeded for the exit"
synonyms: be alarmed, be scared, be nervous, be afraid, overreact, become panic-stricken, take fright, be filled with fear, be terrified, be agitated, be hysterical, lose one's nerve, be perturbed, get overwrought, get worked up, go/fall to pieces, lose control, fall apart;
informalflap, get in a flap, lose one's cool, get the jitters, get into a tizzy/tizz, run around like a headless chicken, freak, freak out, get in a stew, get the willies, get the (screaming) heebie-jeebies;
informalget the wind up, go into a (flat) spin, have kittens, lose one's bottle, throw a wobbly, have an attack of the wobblies
"there's no need to panic"
frighten, alarm, scare, unnerve, fill with panic, agitate, horrify, terrify;
informalthrow into a tizzy/tizz, freak, freak out, spook;
informalput the wind up
"talk of love panicked her"

In short: Fear causes panic.

Carry on.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
[B]Dictionary definition of panic:

All that mess.

Carry on.
You can be afraid without being panicked. Panic, as stated there in that big thing I edited out, is first defined as "sudden, uncontrollable fear". Fear is fear, and it really can save your life if you can manage it and discern what it is your body is telling you. You can make your fear work for you, what with the heightened alertness and increased physical ability that adrenaline allows.

Panic is also fear, but fear is not panic.

All tuna are fish, not all fish are tuna.

Carry on.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:31 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 62,451 Times in 10,284 Posts

Fight training is important, there's no arguing this. So is aggression and managing fear.

But what seems to be missing from these debates, constantly, is correct application of undiluted violence and intelligent cowardice.

I don't ever want to be in a self defense situation similar to the various vids that are posted here. If that were to happen, either me, or my assailant are doing it wrong.
If we look at the numerous documented SHTF situations where people are seriously hurt or killed, they always involve the quickest, most direct use of maximum violence, and completely ignoble stacking the odds in one's favour.
The umpteen videos of innocents walking down the street and becoming victims to the knockout game; the girl shopping at wallmart and getting a bat across the head; drivers pulled from their vehicles in the LA riots and having their faces stoved in with cinderblocks. Knife attacks, riots, robberies, B&E's, NONE of them had anything to do with the majority of the arguments here.

Whatever you're training in, it had better include focus on dealing with what is really killing people out there in the real world. Keeping up good cardio and strength, and learning the value of finding ad-hoc weapons from your environment is a lot more valuable than standing in a wing chun pose and doing slappy hands with your 'sifu'. I'd rather have a board with a nail in it against a mob of gangbangers than a pretty kung fu sash any day of the week.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 03:11 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Machine View Post
You can be afraid without being panicked. Panic, as stated there in that big thing I edited out, is first defined as "sudden, uncontrollable fear". Fear is fear, and it really can save your life if you can manage it and discern what it is your body is telling you. You can make your fear work for you, what with the heightened alertness and increased physical ability that adrenaline allows.

Panic is also fear, but fear is not panic.

All tuna are fish, not all fish are tuna.

Carry on.
You misunderstood the post.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 26,510 Times in 6,328 Posts

Martial Arts should be part of anyone's preps. I have been studying since I was a teenager. Everyone can argue about what is the best discipline but any will help and serve you well against most attackers. Personally I have studied Kenpo, Tae Kwon Do and Jiu Jitsu.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:25 AM
Hunter

Talking

I spent over a decade studying Judo and most of a decade at most forms of Karate!
Time spent is not worth it! but not worthless either.
After winning a dozen or so bouts with the grim reaper I found I was much better at dealing with danger!
I now consider myself on borrowed time, I no longer fear death, when it happens it happens until then I will just face these encounters as they come with extreme controlled aggression!https://www.survivalistboards.com/ima...ons/icon10.gif
Old 08-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Proud deplorable ilk

Thanked 32,530 Times in 8,232 Posts

I've studied masdenka for 12 years, and will continue to.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
If I had only 20 hours, I would teach people to get mad as hell, spaz out, and throw straight punches until their opponent stopped moving.

And can you teach people to get mad and go nuts? Probably not.

So, it's straight punches, all the way.
Please don't do this.

Go and take 6 weeks of Krav Maga, two classes a week. Just 6 weeks and you'll be a better survival fighter than anyone trying something stupid like the above. In fact you'll be a better fighter on the street than most any one or even two people

You'll learn in a real big hurry why "punch the face" is not what you do on the street. (hold his head and throw elbows yes ... straight punches, no ... they'll get you massacred)
Old 08-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,991 Times in 1,236 Posts

Son trains in Shotokan, JKD and some Escrima. Me?, I carry a .45.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,481 Times in 8,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGoffrey View Post
Please don't do this.

Go and take 6 weeks of Krav Maga, two classes a week. Just 6 weeks and you'll be a better survival fighter than anyone trying something stupid like the above. In fact you'll be a better fighter on the street than most any one or even two people

You'll learn in a real big hurry why "punch the face" is not what you do on the street. (hold his head and throw elbows yes ... straight punches, no ... they'll get you massacred)
You can't grab someone's head and throw elbows if they are throwing straight punches at you. Because you have to eat a million punches before you can close the range.

Effectively you have decided to pick the most dangerous entry point. And have decided to walk through the middle of that. Then you are trying to grab the guy where he is most likely to be able to defend. Because his hands and his focus are are at his own head.

Straight punches done well are legitimately hard to counter.
MMA knockouts. How many are either a direct result of straight punching or set up through straight punching.

I watched that about half way through and did not see a single krav maga elbow. Why do you think that is?

This is my issue with things like krav is they don't account for the other guy fighting back.