Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martial Law MrPunem General Discussion 15 02-15-2013 08:54 PM
What martial art? mKosel Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 68 02-14-2013 08:01 PM
What is Martial Law? Margauruitte General Discussion 12 09-14-2012 09:31 AM
Martial law MR.B Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 10-09-2011 07:55 AM
Econmic Martial Law/SHTF Plan HeatherGummer Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 08-04-2011 11:54 AM
G-men & Martial Law Scout413 Urban Survival 7 08-02-2011 09:20 PM
Martial Law? PurseStrings Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 07-09-2011 08:35 PM
Martial law is impossible if shtf. albeit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 12-30-2010 05:51 AM
Martial Law mcgyver1467 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 14 04-04-2009 09:49 PM
Martial law: what for? DownInABunker General Discussion 31 02-22-2009 02:04 AM

Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Default Best SHTF martial art

Advertise Here

Anyone have experience with MMA or Krav Maga? Would you recommend practicing it for SHTF?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to adaptandsurvive For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 06:04 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 9,211 Times in 4,050 Posts

Maybe try scrolling through the existing threads already covering your question.

That said, welcome to the Boards.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 357revolverfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,078 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it. Take them both see what works best for you then know a few simple facts. In a fight there are no rules. The winner is the one that is alive at the end so walking away and not getting hurt your a winner right there. Sometimes waiting and submitting is the best option and when you get a chance to strike back or escape take it at that point. I was robbed at knife point I put my hands up they pulled them down they took some stuff I had nothing on me at all so they went lets stab him so he has something better on him next time at which point I fought back. A thumb to the eye is a very effective way to stop someone. Breaking the arm, dislocating the arm breaking the nose and jaw only slowed them down thumb to the eye they were out. Putting them through a window and smashing their heads into broken glass I went from don't hurt me here you go to a I'm in a fight to the death anything goes mode instantly. They started it I was in it till I was dead or they were it's mind set. They ended up running away and ended up in the hospital I ended up with out a single scratch on me because I used my palm to strike the face not a punch I used elbows and knees. I also used the envoriment as a weapon around me. take a ladys self defense class it teachs you really dirty moves that work well. I took it and I'm a guy I got to be the test dummy I beat the instructor in hand to hand combate because I had lots of training from military, to judo, to wreasling to self defense classes. The military training was from retired military trainers who train the people to do the training so they simply went skip all the bs crap this is what you do legal or not who cares cheat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I have practiced both and recommend both. Krav maga is a bare bones take them down, street fight, while MMA is more of a subdue.

Another good MA is aikido( which I have practiced as well).

The thing is, PSHTF ( or even now) you don't want to have that frame of mind of beating the crap or killing everyone who crosses you. You want that survival mindset of surviving with the least amount of force and damage as possible.

Whether it's a person or animal, you want to discourage them from messing with you, preferably without hurting them ( or you getting hurt).

The good thing about MMA( Ju Jitsu) is you can wrap them up until they calm down or choke them out and leave.

The thing with Aikido is you use their force against them. Watch youtube vids on it and see how they do it, it real and pretty easy to learn. When an opponent comes at you, you sidestep and make contact with them and go with their forward motion, then trap them and take their motion farther( in the same direction), taking them off balance, then suddenly you change direction, do a 180 and take them down quickly and there's nothing they can do about it.
That's if you want to be nice. If not, then you do the same-sidestep, go with them and then suddenly clotheline them in the throat with the front bone of your offhand wrist or near elbow.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,789 Times in 4,600 Posts

Boxing, wrestling or both is a great base.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon115 View Post
Boxing, wrestling or both is a great base.
Yes, but it good to be able to use your legs. Mui Tai kick is a good low kick that keeps you out of arms reach. The thing I learned practicing Ju-Jitsu is the dynamics of controlling the hips. Judo is another good one.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
I have practiced both and recommend both. Krav maga is a bare bones take them down, street fight, while MMA is more of a subdue.

Another good MA is aikido( which I have practiced as well).

The thing is, PSHTF ( or even now) you don't want to have that frame of mind of beating the crap or killing everyone who crosses you. You want that survival mindset of surviving with the least amount of force and damage as possible.

Whether it's a person or animal, you want to discourage them from messing with you, preferably without hurting them ( or you getting hurt).

The good thing about MMA( Ju Jitsu) is you can wrap them up until they calm down or choke them out and leave.

The thing with Aikido is you use their force against them. Watch youtube vids on it and see how they do it, it real and pretty easy to learn. When an opponent comes at you, you sidestep and make contact with them and go with their forward motion, then trap them and take their motion farther( in the same direction), taking them off balance, then suddenly you change direction, do a 180 and take them down quickly and there's nothing they can do about it.
That's if you want to be nice. If not, then you do the same-sidestep, go with them and then suddenly clotheline them in the throat with the front bone of your offhand wrist or near elbow.
I have that mind set for 1 simple reason. I don't care if I hurt you I only care if you hurt or kill me. I also don't rob people or pick fights for the simple reason I'm not that kind of person. If I do get attacked I defend my self to the death if I can't run away you have to have that mind set or your going to get more hurt when they run away don't chase them down or do things like that let them run that's the trick. Have almost no rules for fighting and when they run let them run when the cops show up what happened this is what happened I was in fear for my life because they tried to stab me this is what I did to them after I gave them everything. Cops let people walk away or hint at it I will talk to the other person you might want to just walk down the street when I turn my back. That's what they do sometimes once you explain what happened and why because you were the honest one were the other people story was some big dude jumped out of the bushs and beat the crap out of them for no reason at all and they were crack heads.

The simple basics is someone grabs you move your arm towards there thumb they then need to hands to grab your 1 then flat palm to the face works well. Then bend your knees and lower your center of gravity you can swipe out the legs or stuff like that. Twisting the arm behind the back then lifting will pop out the shoulder very painful but didn't take them out of the fight they were limited in what they could do but it didn't stop them as there was 2 on 1. 1 got a broken jaw, elbow, glass in the forehead from going through a window, and was missing an eye the other one just got a dislocated shoulder. 1 had a knife the other one didn't I was fighting with just my hands as this happened in high school. The cops were shocked that I was dead calm and knew exactly what to say and explained it yes sir no sir this is what happened this is what I did and I was in fear for me life. I have no problems telling a judge that. Do I know my attackers no I don't have no idea who they're. Ok go home have a nice day you charge them they charge you ect so I don't want your name they have a warrant for drug charges and skipping bound so they were going in for that.

Let me put it to you this way. I could take on the instructor for self defense class due to being trained at 4 years old and beyond and training every single year on how to fight with hand to hand combat. I was trained by people who charged a machine gun nest with a brick in his hand because he lost his rifle and knife and only had a brick so he fought with a brick. Any advantage is a good one thumb to the eye is by far the most effective attack out of everything your ever taught (they don't teach that) I was taught they try to stab you just get the knife and stab till you can't lift your arm or your dead then it doesn't matter. You have to enter into that way your going to die if you lose so at least take them with you. With that you might get away with no injury.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,648 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptandsurvive View Post
Anyone have experience with MMA or Krav Maga? Would you recommend practicing it for SHTF?
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=302804

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=55206

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=316557

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=317008

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=319756

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=282420

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=287388

Plus many more, just go to the main non-lethal weapons section and start scanning down the list of threads.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaqhama For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Trapper

Parkour.

(escaping)

The Following User Says Thank You to minitruck83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,015 Times in 487 Posts

For SHTF, go try both and see which ones training methods suit you best.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,618 Times in 1,180 Posts

Zen.. and the art of seeing it coming....
The Following User Says Thank You to maia For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 01:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptandsurvive View Post
yes

no

yes
The Following User Says Thank You to sojurn87 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Target Shooter

Stay away from Krava Maga Worldwide, Kapap, Commando Krav Maga and Haganah. Instead look for Krav Maga Global, Krav Maga Institute, Krav Maga Federation, Combat Krav Maga or International Krav Maga Federation.

Avoid MMA schools that do not have a legit BJJ black belt.
The Following User Says Thank You to cuchillo negro For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
I . If I do get attacked I defend my self to the death....
well, imo, you're not being realistic of a REAL shtf encounter nor do you have control of yourself.. Just like now, you can't kill someone for stepping in front of you in line at wally world. You can't kill some teenaged punk for running his mouth in front of his friends. So what, you gonna kill everyone who disagrees with you, who can't control themselves and come across really harsh? who's the better man?

Btw, why do you feel the need to say you've been practicing MA since you's 4 by the most ruthless killers on Earth? Apparently they didn't teach you humility. A true warrior don't need to toot his own horn.

I've been CC for 35yrs and 99% of confrontations have been less then lethal. Most of the time, folks just need attitude adjustments and most situations are better served by de-escalation. IMO, knowing joint locks and take down techniques are FAR better, most of the time. Btw, most folks can't kill someone with their bare hands.

In the real world, you need to be in control of every situation. period. That
"kill them all and let God sort them out" don't work.

In a real shtf world, if your solution is to kill everybody, the masses are going to consider you a out of comtrol mad dog and will take you out.
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchillo negro View Post
Stay away from Krava Maga Worldwide, Kapap, Commando Krav Maga and Haganah. Instead look for Krav Maga Global, Krav Maga Institute, Krav Maga Federation, Combat Krav Maga or International Krav Maga Federation.

OMG, really? Well, the majority of folks only want to get in better shape and learn some self defense techniques , not become black belted and compete in the Octagon. The fact is, most couldn't even if they wanted to, it's a young person's game with great genes.

Folks would do good to join a cardio kick boxing class, a great place to start.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
OMG, really? Well, the majority of folks only want to get in better shape and learn some self defense techniques , not become black belted and compete in the Octagon. The fact is, most couldn't even if they wanted to, it's a young person's game with great genes.

Yes really......If people want to get in shape they can just join an aerobics class or cross fit gym. If they truly want to learn how to fight they must seek a legit school. Any clown can open a MMA school. A guy who wrestled in high school and took a few years of boxing at the YMCA does not make a legit MMA instructor.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cuchillo negro For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 PM

I studied Aikido to almost Brown belt level and I still love it, though I'm not a gymnast and never will be (throws). Some years after that I studied TKD and got my 1st Dan black belt. Having said those thing, the problem with actually USING Aikido is that, in my HO, you have to be a Black belt or pretty near there to actually make it Work. It's an art and a way of life. Now, the -jitsu arts are the "dirty street fighting" kinds, according to more than one of my Senseis.

I've only had to use my knowledge once--and once the guy saw I was becoming threatened (and dropping into Stance) he backed off. I've heard three things I trust--1. Best Self-defense ? If you can, RUN ! 2. All fights end up on the ground, and 3. Most fights are over in 30 seconds.

Almost any Art, taught well and practiced, will leave you better off than you were before you began. :D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rivercrone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,760 Times in 8,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchillo negro View Post

Mma school equals a fight record. My coach does not have a bjj white belt.

Rob giuffrida getting his brown belt. Recently.
http://themmacorner.com/2014/03/13/i...not-accolades/
Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,760 Times in 8,353 Posts

Quote:

Yeah but you want to learn self defence from someone who knows what they are doing.

We started a guy at 55 who did his first boxing match (exhibition) after twelve weeks.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 2,663 Posts

There's squaring off and fighting someone head to head, and then there's being attacked. They are two different things. You should never choose to do either of them.

In ninjitsu, you always want your opponent to be at a disadvantage no matter what the situation. And you should always seek to exploit any advantage that you can. If in a street fight, run and jump on top of a car roof. Your opponent will not have any experience fighting on a car and will not easily be able to strike you. This also works well in dog attacks, since dogs can't gain a good footing on slick car metal. Taking the high ground in this way really forces your attacker to press onward from an inferior position if his intent is to do you harm.

A lot of these other styles and strategies are based off of scenarios that don't need to take place in the manner they are practiced. You have a lot of control over how you engage in combat, whether you understand it or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ninjasurvivor For This Useful Post: