Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Son's Friend Killed Walking In On Home Invasion TORTIS General Discussion 32 09-22-2015 07:41 PM
Home Phone went out last night, metal thieves! Robot General Discussion 2 07-25-2011 11:09 AM
Gen 1 night vision for SHTF and home defense? A waste of money? ATI corp? FloridaState Firearms General Discussion 14 07-09-2010 02:27 PM
Walking Distance from your Home (Do you know your Resources) OhioMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 04-19-2010 03:18 PM
So you come home late one night and see this in your yard OhioMan Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 47 10-11-2009 12:07 PM
Home Action Plan Put Into Play Last Night Highlander Urban Survival 24 12-10-2008 09:37 AM
Dinner last night - home grown potatoes kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 08-08-2007 02:38 AM

Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel666 View Post
The thing I prefer is a length of heavy chain with a padlock around my waist like it were a belt. Also a shiny silver pipe helps. When the person you bopped tells the police they got knocked with a silver pipe you say that it was a pipe for smoking with. They ask about the chain and lock say you ride a bicycle.

Mostly the chain gives you reach advantage to wop the attacker from a distance. They never get close. The pipe is for if they do get close.

Go for the knees with that pipe. Very sensitive area.
Use the chain to swat a stick out of attacker's hands (sensitive hands).
Also, blowing through the lead pipe (like a trumpet) signifies that you have made your mind to defend yourself. Sends fear into those who hear the awful growling pitch.
ehh.... the padlock/chain (or padlock/bandanna) is a neat idea, but nearly every cop knows it's intended to be a weapon, unless you're riding your bike at the time of the assault.

if you use a chain, i wouldn't suggest "swatting' with it.... it's still a chain, afterall, and can hit with some force.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Look! shiney!

You have a choice to make.
Here is my thought.
where I work also has a "no firearms" policy, that being said, every time I leave my house I have a G21 in a IWB, and most times a .380 also. It is called CC for a reason.

The choice I made is that no job is worth not having the means to not "become a victim"
There are other SD options out there, and some have been brought up, but as I stated, you have a choice to make.

I wish you the best in whatever choices you make.

Scott
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott in AK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,015 Times in 487 Posts

Bare in mind that your ideal plan has to be to get away unharmed. Pepper spray might just **** someone off, assuming you can deploy it. Theres no easy solution that doesnt preclude non-lethal force.

I know thats not really helpful. Its just an important reality check.

EDIT: Off the top of my head, get a kubotan. Its an improvement over empty hands and it works from the appropriate range. Its also less likely to be a lethal force tool, and its easier to deploy. You just grab the thing.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,015 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteMan View Post
I carry a gun. My job says no guns too but I'm the one walking home at night, not my employer. Get caught by employer, get fired. Get caught by mugger, get fired... upon.

Mugger to guy walking home from work:
"Your money or your life"
Guy:
"Take my life; I'm saving my money for retirement"
Optionally, since the mugger hasnt made you a safer target by incapacitating you immediately, you can probably just give it to him and youll be fine. No need to risk sustaining injury or death or be fired upon, no need to fire upon anyone.

Think about how youd mug someone, and how much safer it is to mug someone whos incapable of defending themself due to damage sustained.
Think about it for a few seconds, how if you havent already been dealt damage and why that is, and then get back to me

I can dig up a CCTV video for you of a guy being nonchalantly shot in the back of the head at an ATM, then his corpse is mugged. Or a girl getting thrown down and stomped to death and then being mugged. Or some guy who demands something, gets it, and leaves. Big difference. Murder charge > robbery.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Prepared

WD40 or Liquid Wrench with the red straw cut down to 1/2" or so. Let's you spray in the eyes from 8-10' feet away. At least that what I have been told Practise on yellowjackets, wasps or hornets. Spray paint will mark them for i.d. purposes or let a dog owner know his mutt was somewhere it shouldn't have been.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Never Give up

Thanked 14,174 Times in 4,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiviSheepDog1017 View Post
Rascals I thought this was the non-leathal section...

And to the rest of the replies, I like the 4d mag lite idea but that's a little too close for comfort. I also don't like the idea of carrying a light. I like the Idea of blending in with the shadows, not being a glowing target. I already take the most direct route, but I think I need a good strong pepper spray. I don't like the idea of an irritant like mace. I feel an inflammatory like pepper spray would be more reliable.
They are non leathal. Until needed. We have cougars and I don't mean older women and bears.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Hiker

I tend to carry a heavy flashlight and know how to yell. generally, an attacker will back off once they realize you aren't the easy prey they thought
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to judyt00 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,495 Times in 2,824 Posts

IF no gun get the brightest led slim line LED flashlight..In those conditions I would prefer a 2000 lumen LED which is very bright..Walk with the light off so you don't draw attention to yourself....Get one that is about 18 inches long as it also can be used a club after spraying the attacker......Call up a police clothing/equipment store see if they sell the latest and best pepper spray to you...I prefer the cans that have the flip up cap instead of the turn and twist cap...Flip up can can be in your outer pocket and easily accessible with your hand on it while walking......Understand what type of spray pattern comes out and at what length...When carrying it always be mindful of wind direction...IF you have a potential attacker move so the wind will be behind you then blind him with the light of your flashlight and spray into his eyes and nose area...
I am old school so I believe in a whistle too that should be worn on a thin breakaway cord around your neck.....IF you have a cell phone tell your friends not to call you when you are walking home....Do not answer or use the cell phone at all while walking....Have it preset to dial 911...As you walk always be aware of your surroundings...IF there are glass windows on buildings and cars use them as a mirror to constantly see what is around you...
An attack happens very quickly...
Be wary of someone asking the time of day or for change...He may be alone or have another hit you from behind...
For women never carry a purse...Always wear flat type comfortable/stable shoes....
Be careful out there the 2 legged Ahole is everywhere..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,495 Times in 2,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyt00 View Post
I tend to carry a heavy flashlight and know how to yell. generally, an attacker will back off once they realize you aren't the easy prey they thought
And yell like your a crazy person they want normal people....
Old 11-30-2013, 01:31 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 26,829 Times in 10,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteMan View Post
"Your money or your life"
Guy:
"Take my life; I'm saving my money for retirement"
My mum used that on me when I was a little kid with a potato gun.

'stick 'em up mum! your money or your life!'

"take my life" she replied quick as a wink. "I'm saving my money for Christmas presents."

We laughed our heads off and thought she was sooo clever. and now i find out it was an old joke she'd heard before... sob.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Absolutely! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Thinker

Thanked 1,383 Times in 626 Posts

When I used to run at night, I carried a handheld alarm - sounds off and continues to do so until you disable it. If you live in a small town, something like that may be a good deterrent. Also, you can get a keychain stick that can be used as a weapon - these came highly recommended by my self-defense instructor, you can find them on Amazon, or from Damsels.

The element of surprise is your friend. A laser light can also be a good tool against some people - temporarily blinding your attacker (I haven't tried this, but it was also recommended in class), and then there's always carrying a handy 4-6D cell flashlight which doubles as a club.
The Following User Says Thank You to prepgal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 AM
Officer Friendly

Thanked 2,394 Times in 697 Posts

Get a small gun and pocket carry. Nobody will ever know you have it. With a good pocket holster, it will feel like a wallet if anyone were ever to pat your pocket. I ignore "no gun" signs all the time. Concealed means concealed.

If you absolutely refuse to carry a gun, I recommend OC in one hand, and a 4 D cell LED maglight in the other. Shine the light directly in a scumbag's face and yell "Police, get on the ground!" as loud as you can with an authoritative tone. Scumbags are used to hearing this and they know what to do. They will either comply or run most of the time unless they know you of course.

If anything comes of it and the cops ask you if you were impersonating an officer, just say that you yelled "PLEASE get on the ground!"

I have been sprayed in the face with OC 3 different times and I can tell you it is very effective. You can fight through it, but it still gives you a huge tactical advantage. The scumbag's night vision is already blown from the flashlight and now his eyes are slamming shut from the OC. Use this opportunity to run away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twilight For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,272 Times in 619 Posts

Four bars of soap in a long tube sock.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 AM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,635 Posts

Small 100+ lumen flashlite in your right hand and do some boxing lessons.

If you wanna go all 'lethal force' and it's LEGAL where you are then a flashlite & knife combo at night would be an option. Think VERY hard before you pull out that knife though. Its unlikely you actually will ever be attacked and if you are its also unlikely deadly force will be justifiable. Most situations can be avoided by being smart and taking the safer long route, running or using your fists.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Hiker

its funny, I've lived in bad neighbourhoods all my life and never once been accosted. I think its because I never walked like I was scared someone was going to attack me. and if I passed someone on the street, I talked to them like I expected them to be pleasant. Walk tall and own the night. nothing scares a potential rapist than to meet a strong woman who looks like she will make life difficult.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Target Shooter

$8 can of Wasp and Hornet spray and a bic lighter. Instant 30 ft flamethrower.
nuff said... GET BACK!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruzer1800 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,308 Times in 813 Posts

I like the idea of a walking stick or cane. In no way do I want "someone" to close within arms length of me.

Also I used to carry an NAA mini and nobody will ever know but you.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:46 AM
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!

Thanked 1,405 Times in 730 Posts

One thing I will note that nobody ever seems to mention... YOU NEED TO PRACTICE USING YOUR PEPPER SPRAY or it will be useless to you. It's easy, it can be done in an hour or two- but if you have no experience using your pepper spray, you will NOT be able to use it effectively when you are panicked and fearing for your life.

Pick a brand of pepper spray, buy two cans and use up the second for the below drills (takes 1-2 hours max):

1. First practice drawing the canister and bringing it to bear. Get a feel for how long that takes. You want to be able to draw it in about 1 second or less if possible. Find a way to keep it palmed in your hand while you walk, whether your hand is in a pocket or purse. Try drawing it while moving, strafing, back-pedalling etc.
  2. Also practice disengaging whatever safety it has when you draw. If you ever need to use the spray, you will be in "fight or flight" mode, and you will not be capable of figuring out some finicky locking mechanism for the first time.
  3. Head to the back yard with some safety glasses. Pick a target, draw your canister and give it some shots, from various ranges. Practice the sequence of draw + spray. Short spurts are best; you will only get maybe 10 seconds of continuous spray out of a can. Aim for head-sized targets and use initial shots to quickly adjust your aim. If you have any spray left, try hitting a target while back-pedalling or running sideways.
  4. Mark your can's expiration date on your calendar, and replace when appropriate.
The above seems like common sense in hindsight, but I can't count how many people I know who buy some pepper spray for "protection," throw it in their bag, and never touch it again.

Rants aside, a good reverse-clicky flashlight helps too. If you see shady figures approaching, you can have a bright light palmed in one pocket and the pepper foam in the other.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d3athp3nguin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2013, 03:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,825 Posts

I like the suggestin of Bear Spray..or a stun gun.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
I got an idea off of youtube where a guy was using hornet spray as a last resort. The problem with pepper spray is that it's not meant to seriously injure the person. It's just meant to disrupt them with some temporary pain.

I'm pretty sure that a can of bug spray that has a Mr. Death emblem on the back with bold letters that say "harmful or deadly to humans" is probably not something you want to get in your eyes, nose, and mouth.

And make sure to tell the person while they are being sprayed that they now have a toxic chemical on their face which will make them go blind or die if they don't go and wash it off.
I've heard from several sources (the internet, so it must be true) that use of wasp/hornet spray in place of pepper spray is illegal in most jurisdictions and can get you in serious trouble. Disparity of force issues. As suggested, bear spray is a better option than wasp spray.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inusuit For This Useful Post: