Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tokarev TT 33 MH12194 Pistol and Revolver Forum 19 05-11-2017 07:39 PM
Tokarev hoplite59 Pistol and Revolver Forum 51 06-28-2015 09:53 AM
ttc-33 tokarev Halo1 Military Weapons Forum 17 04-06-2014 07:13 PM
My New/Old Tokarev Belifend Pistol and Revolver Forum 3 11-19-2013 10:26 AM
Romanian TTC Tokarev - $199.99, Yugo M57 Tokarev - $209 + Free Shipping apps47inc For Sale 0 10-31-2013 04:10 PM
7.62x25 Tokarev M57 atrez43221 Military Weapons Forum 21 05-20-2013 11:02 PM
CZ-82 vs m57 tokarev dbrown Firearms General Discussion 11 07-17-2012 08:59 PM
My Tokarev got here. Tackleberry41 Pistol and Revolver Forum 9 05-20-2012 07:54 PM
tokarev mortalis09 Pistol and Revolver Forum 20 07-23-2010 10:15 PM
Anyone have a tokarev or CZ-52? my375hp302 Firearms General Discussion 11 05-10-2009 06:28 PM

Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Default How does the Tokarev sound for survival?

Advertise Here

i'm just wondering if a Tokarev would be good for survival.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM

That depends on what weapon and the type of rnd. I'm curious as to where you are finding ammo, and what you are paying for it.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,388 Posts

I guess that depends on how well you shoot it and what your ammunition supply looks like.

If you can reliably hit what you are aiming for, it will do just fine as long as you have the ammo for it. Spare parts wouldn't hurt either.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it wouldn't be my last either.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM

can't hate on the Tokarevs. last time i looked at em they were about $200 and they shoot basically mini-AK rounds. They're tough and to add icing to the cake, they shoot out a huge flame that will fry somebody's face if the bullet can't save you lmao
The Following User Says Thank You to guero311 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM

is it cause you love the weapon and cartridge or is it the price that is attractive.jgsales.com used to sell a **** load of them and ammo.isnt the firing pin weak,if yes grab some extra.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM

Default Torkarev for survival

first of all I have to ask you do you have a shotgun or a 22 rifle or a 22 handgun ?? if not then buy one of the other firearms I mentioned . if you have a hankering for a survival pistol buy a decient 22 as they are cheap to shoot and if you buy say a Ruger mark 2 or a Ruger single six you will be able to feed yourself and protect youself .

if you just have the Torkarev you might not be able to hit what you want to eat and you will starve. second weapon after the 22 is a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 pump with a slug barrel and a longer barrel . don't get talked into anything else . I would'nt buy the Tork - have it as my only handgun .

this is only my opinion but I have been shooting since I was 12 and I'm 52 so I have a little knowledge. your choice my friend . make the right one .
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Target Shooter

I have a Romanian Tok and find it to be QUITE accurate (same with the CZ52 I have, but I prefer the Tok's feel). PLEASE don't rely on the after-market, punched in safety (possibly exception being the Yugo model ... the one that takes the longer magazine). From what I have seen, the added on lever is only a rudimentary trigger block.
Half cock (i.e. Tok's version of "safe") vs. empty chamber? Your choice. Read a lot, know YOUR piece, and make an informed choice.
LOVE the cartridge. Used to be one of the cheapest center fire rounds out there ... not so much anymore. Still, if you have one and it's your main piece, you can still get ammo and even some JHP for it. There are "better" more modern choices, but you have to know what YOUR needs are (as best as you can predict) and know what YOUR capabilities are with YOUR pistol. There are far worse choices, IMHO. I've been known to pack my Tok when out working in the yard and so forth. Haven't taken to generally toting it (yet) as I simply have other pieces that serve my needs better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CeltKnight For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM
The Celtic Prepper

I love me some oddball 'arms and cartridges, but I can't say I'd choose them as a survival gun. For me, a large part about a gun's "survival" ability is the chance that I'll come across that ammo or parts in the future.

I'm not a huge Glock guy, but it's the exact reason why I would take one over anything else right now...availability.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IrishCannon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Prepared

Tokarevs are great. 7.62X25 is an under-appreciated round. The Czech Sellier and Bellot is is of high quality.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CornCod For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Thanked 6,656 Times in 2,242 Posts

The catridge is good against soft body armor. If it works for you go for it.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,977 Times in 821 Posts

I will say that they are reliable, resonably accurate and well built pistols that along with surplus ammo provide a decent gun at a very attractive price. It's inexpensive without being "cheap." I'd really need to know what you mean when you're asking about whether it's "good for survival" though.

As a home defence gun, the snappy 7.62x25 cartridge will penetrate through a lot before it's stopped, making it less than ideal if there's others living at the same address or even other houses close by.

And while the gun is relatively accurate, I agree with the earlier comments that it isn't accurate enough with its fixed sights to be too practical for harvesting small game like rabbits and squirrels, which a decent .22 pistol, or better yet a rifle could do with far greater effectiveness.

For other purposes like bigger game hunting, hunting fowl, or defence against people armed with rifles, the gun is either inadequate or a distant second to more appropriate firearms.

The Tokarev might be a good, low priced option for a first centerfire pistol that with low cost ammo might provide considerable opportunity to practice, and it might even compliment a couple other guns like a .22LR rifle, centerfire rifle and shotgun as part of an individual's battery. If I were to have only one gun for "survival" purposes though, it would not be my first choice and would only serve as a self-defence pistol within limited applications.

Last edited by Canadian Prepster; 03-07-2013 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Prepared

If you plan on bugging out to the Czech Republic, absolutely wonderful choice. 10 years ago when they were $100 and ammo was 3 cents a round it may have been an option stateside, because you could buy five of them for the price of a Glock. Now...take what you can afford to feed. Find the ammo, and then find the weapon to fire it, spare parts, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to tacosupreme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,410 Times in 3,076 Posts

it would sound like BOOM!

7.62x25 penetrates like crazy

Once shot a ruptured adult hog with one shot to the body went straight through and the hog didn't seem to notice - a shot to the head went straight through - hog did notice that ...
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Hiker

jeebus ...another how cheap is my life worth thread
Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadair View Post
While I understand where you are coming from, Tokarevs stood up just fine in military service with Warsaw Pact and Chinese forces for decades. I think it would stand up just fine in SHTF as well. In some applications (where penetration is desirable) I would rather have a Tokarev than a $1500 .45ACP or .40 S&W of any quality make.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fenrell For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Angry Chaote

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadair View Post
Buddy the Tokarev is a powerful pistol, I'd choose a well built Yugo m57 Tokarev over a factory built 1911 any day. Of course, I'd choose an FN 5.7 over a Tokarev any day too.

7.62x25 isn't as plentiful as it used to be unfortunately, but oddly enough the FN's ammo is about half the price of standard 9mm Luger ammo... yet you could buy 5 Tokarevs for the price of one FN 5.7 and arm your friends.

IMO yes, the Tokarev is a great weapon. Survival? Well, I'd hunt with .22lr first but the Tokarev variants are all usually accurate within 100 meters. That is GOOD for a pistol.

If money were no object, I'd take the FN 5.7 over the Tokarev and arm myself with a P90, but the Tokarev also has a companion SMG firing 7.62x25, which is the PP-19. It's more compact than the P90 too.

Full auto PP-19 with extra magazines, Yugoslavian M57 as my sidearm, I'd be pretty comfortable in an urban SHTF environment where defeating cover and light armor is an issue and where everything's really tight so long as I didn't have to worry much about collateral damage, the 7.62x25 goes through things
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zonark For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Target Shooter

The Tok is OK pistol. They are cheap, reliable, and have ammo available. Ventilate somebody with a couple 85 grain pieces of lead going Mach 1+, and at worst they will have serious second thoughts about continuing their course of action against you.

When all this BS levels off, you can always upgrade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ticom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 PM

I have a CZ52 and a Romanian TTC in 7.62, love the round and the firearms. But they are merely range toys. The ones I trust my life to are my modern handguns in 9mm and .45ACP.
The modern handguns have too many advantages over the Tok. The ammo selection alone is worth it, if you are lucky you can get some Wolf or Privi in a Tok hollow point. Modern defensive loads in 9mm or .45ACP are as varied as the pistols that fire them. Add to that modern handgun ergonomics, higher magazine capacity, holster options, better sights and sight options, and high availability of customizable parts that in most cases can be installed by yourself and you can see why most people don't still have a Tok strapped to their hip.

But I can only tell you my opinion, the final decision is up to you. Just be sure to do your research before you stake your life on anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to wester For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2013, 06:14 AM

.22 does not have anywhere near enough stopping power as your main shtf handgun
The only thing u can put down with that is a rabid cat or a 2 year old.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,321 Posts

I have little doubt my tokarev is just as durable and reliable as any other pistol I have. Hard to say what I have is more modern, the 1911 came out 30 years earlier and tokarev only predates my browning HP by 2 years. If anything they were made more durable for use by poorly trained conscripts, and has no screws to lose. I do wish they had directly copied the firing pin of a 1911 since they can't be carried with the hammer down on a live round.

Ammo has always been an issue. Pretty much all available was FMJ surplus. Winchester and Fiocchi make it now, reloadable, but still FMJ. Never seen any of the fabled HP sold by wolf. I make my own out of the hornady XTP. It really peels a milk jug of water open.