Table top dry run Survival preparedness school - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Marine Corps Mountain Survival Course/Survival Training School of California stsc1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 15 02-06-2018 07:37 PM
Treasury in need of Survival Preparedness... Bushrat Financial Forum 6 01-04-2015 03:22 PM
Skills you bring to the survival table Amazingfire General Discussion 13 11-17-2013 12:43 PM
school project - disaster preparedness cgmartin9789 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 02-12-2012 05:25 AM
What survival skills do you bring to the table? ToughFemale Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 43 05-22-2011 02:39 PM
Top 50 Survival & Preparedness Blogs survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 02-07-2011 04:42 AM
child care emergency preparedness at school caridad Ladies Section 10 10-06-2009 11:14 PM
preparedness and children while at school musiklover77 Ladies Section 22 09-15-2008 07:15 AM
Survival Preparedness: Help! RugerDude Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 08-23-2008 05:04 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 AM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default Table top dry run Survival preparedness school



Advertise Here

So I have this idea to start a survival preparedness school when I get out to of the army next year. It would be based in Vermont where i am moving too. I just wanted to know if and how many on here would be interested in attending.
The instructors would include me
8 years army infantry
emt-I
field sanitation class
certified rifle and pistol instructor
NBC instructor
3 deployments
My friend
Army ranger school
7 years army infantry
nbc certification
3 deployments
and a bunch of other guys i knew who have qualifications

I would teach
basic wilderness survival
combat first aid
tactical carbine and pistol
basic fortification and defense
food storage
communications
field sanitation
basic use of body armor
that would be the basic course i was thinking a week or two and between 300 and 500 dollars for the course. I would have basic intermediate and advanced courses available eventually but would start with basic and see how it went. The land would be about 20 acres with access to state forest. there will be a range on my land. already cleared shooting on my own property.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to infntryman86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Nutty Old Geezer Nutty Old Geezer is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,921
Thanks: 4,590
Thanked 5,950 Times in 2,417 Posts
Default

Sorry but I don't think it will be successful. Your area is too far off the beaten path. You won't get a lot of locals. You need a steady supply of new folk and that takes a urban area. The closest urban area to you is the Boston/New York corridor. Not as many folk up that way wanting that kind of training I would think. I believe areas like Virginia, Atlanta, Dallas, St. Louis, and other "freer states" would be better. Don't get me wrong I think that area is great, but I just don't see the population you would need to make it a going concern.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM
SOD's Avatar
SOD SOD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Right side WA state
Posts: 146
Thanks: 217
Thanked 166 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Will you be able to adjust your instruction to seniors, women and children and those with special needs? These people need far different instruction.
You have been meeting the needs of the army who employs health young men in their physical prime, are you prepared to instruct those that really need answers to some very real questions?
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Old Geezer View Post
Sorry but I don't think it will be successful. Your area is too far off the beaten path. You won't get a lot of locals. You need a steady supply of new folk and that takes a urban area. The closest urban area to you is the Boston/New York corridor. Not as many folk up that way wanting that kind of training I would think. I believe areas like Virginia, Atlanta, Dallas, St. Louis, and other "freer states" would be better. Don't get me wrong I think that area is great, but I just don't see the population you would need to make it a going concern.
I agree its out of the way, but so is sig academy in New Hampshire and when i went there for armorers course there were so many attending those classes from all over from florida to Texas. So I think if people are interested some may travel. This wouldn't be my only source of income. I will be collecting disability and my wife is about to finish her schooling to become a licensed shrink so it would be more of a side project. Though I do see your point.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:00 PM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOD View Post
Will you be able to adjust your instruction to seniors, women and children and those with special needs? These people need far different instruction.
You have been meeting the needs of the army who employs health young men in their physical prime, are you prepared to instruct those that really need answers to some very real questions?
I don't see why i wouldn't be able to teach these individuals, this is not going to be basic training, more like an outward bound program. I enjoy teaching used to be a leader in Boy scouts and did pretty well till they cut the marksmanship program. The classes would have regular hours. The special needs would be difficult I wouldn't be able to cater to all needs but I defiantly can make an attempt.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
240Geezer's Avatar
240Geezer 240Geezer is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Polishing Lombardi #5
Posts: 6,481
Thanks: 11,647
Thanked 14,064 Times in 4,568 Posts
Default

I'm interested! I'm in So. NH so it's close for me.
Don't let folks step on your dream. There are probably a lot of
people who would like to learn from your experience that are here
in the northeast. Schools or seminars are fairly pricey. If you add
the airfare and hotels, I can't justify the cost to go to someplace in
Arizona or wherever.

Thank you for your service.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM
240Geezer's Avatar
240Geezer 240Geezer is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Polishing Lombardi #5
Posts: 6,481
Thanks: 11,647
Thanked 14,064 Times in 4,568 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infntryman86 View Post
I don't see why i wouldn't be able to teach these individuals, this is not going to be basic training, more like an outward bound program. I enjoy teaching used to be a leader in Boy scouts and did pretty well till they cut the marksmanship program. The classes would have regular hours. The special needs would be difficult I wouldn't be able to cater to all needs but I defiantly can make an attempt.
Hey, I'm 56 and my comandress in chief is 64, we're not Davey Crockett
and Daniel Boone. But. We could learn. You could tailor your classes,
periodically to certain types of clients. Maybe, different courses for different
age groups or along other demographic lines.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
I'm interested! I'm in So. NH so it's close for me.
Don't let folks step on your dream. There are probably a lot of
people who would like to learn from your experience that are here
in the northeast. Schools or seminars are fairly pricey. If you add
the airfare and hotels, I can't justify the cost to go to someplace in
Arizona or wherever.

Thank you for your service.
Well add me to your friend list and i will give you and your commandress and chief a complimentary class so long as you guys go on here and talk me up lol. And as far as hotels I was thinking of building a cabin or two to house people for the time they were there nothing luxurious but enough.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Doc_Shane's Avatar
Doc_Shane Doc_Shane is offline
Garbage Collector

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,343
Thanks: 8,767
Thanked 35,944 Times in 8,893 Posts
Default

Do an MTT (mobile training team), take your show on the road, have groups host you and your instructors.

I did some contract work for the National Guard teaching more advanced tactical medicine and small unit tactics to grunts, had a team consisting of all retired Special Operations guys we made some good money.
__________________

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"


Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
Do an MTT (mobile training team), take your show on the road, have groups host you and your instructors.

I did some contract work for the National Guard teaching more advanced tactical medicine and small unit tactics to grunts, had a team consisting of all retired Special Operations guys we made some good money.
I dont know if that was really an option, my training is not quite in the Special ops league, and i promised my wife no more time away from the family 3 long deployments have been hard enough.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
Do an MTT (mobile training team), take your show on the road, have groups host you and your instructors.

I did some contract work for the National Guard teaching more advanced tactical medicine and small unit tactics to grunts, had a team consisting of all retired Special Operations guys we made some good money.
but if you want stay in contact just might have you as a guest instructor
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Doc_Shane's Avatar
Doc_Shane Doc_Shane is offline
Garbage Collector

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,343
Thanks: 8,767
Thanked 35,944 Times in 8,893 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infntryman86 View Post
but if you want stay in contact just might have you as a guest instructor
Shoot me a PM.
__________________

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"


Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:31 PM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

oh and every one if i end up doing this discounts for all board members
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:40 PM
comdot comdot is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,825
Thanks: 2,558
Thanked 27,407 Times in 4,547 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infntryman86 View Post
So I have this idea to start a survival preparedness school when I get out to of the army next year. It would be based in Vermont where i am moving too. I just wanted to know if and how many on here would be interested in attending.
The instructors would include me
8 years army infantry
emt-I
field sanitation class
certified rifle and pistol instructor
NBC instructor
3 deployments
My friend
Army ranger school
7 years army infantry
nbc certification
3 deployments
and a bunch of other guys i knew who have qualifications

I would teach
basic wilderness survival
combat first aid
tactical carbine and pistol
basic fortification and defense
food storage
communications
field sanitation
basic use of body armor
that would be the basic course i was thinking a week or two and between 300 and 500 dollars for the course. I would have basic intermediate and advanced courses available eventually but would start with basic and see how it went. The land would be about 20 acres with access to state forest. there will be a range on my land. already cleared shooting on my own property.

I've started a number of small companies, a couple of which grew and were purchased by larger ones. I love entrepreneurialism and am not trying to cut down your idea, but rather, help you think it through.

Would you open a sandwich store based upon your experience making sandwiches?

Do you know the market? Is there a need for this type of school? Are there other schools like it? How well are they doing? Did they fail? Why? Are there any that are truly succeeding? What did they do to become and stay successful?

Who wants to buy your services? How much would classes cost to meet expenses and expand the business? How would you market your business? Who would you market your school toward? Individuals or groups? Do you need to raise seed money to get started and if so, do you have a business plan to present?

This type of business sounds like there will be a need for extensive liability insurance and protection. Have you taken that into consideration?

My opinion is I would take the experience and talent you have assembled and offer that to prospective clients such as high profile businesses and individuals. I would offer to train them at their location so they incur the costs of facilities and liability.

I would offer an "outward bound team building" type class, a "weekend warrior get fit course." and a "play soldier for a weekend retreat course".

I would augment that with protective services and corporate security services. Once your reputation is established (and you have regular revenue), would I consider a permanent facility like you describe.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:56 PM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comdot View Post
I've started a number of small companies, a couple of which grew and were purchased by larger ones. I love entrepreneurialism and am not trying to cut down your idea, but rather, help you think it through.

Would you open a sandwich store based upon your experience making sandwiches?

Do you know the market? Is there a need for this type of school? Are there other schools like it? How well are they doing? Did they fail? Why? Are there any that are truly succeeding? What did they do to become and stay successful?

Who wants to buy your services? How much would classes cost to meet expenses and expand the business? How would you market your business? Who would you market your school toward? Individuals or groups? Do you need to raise seed money to get started and if so, do you have a business plan to present?

This type of business sounds like there will be a need for extensive liability insurance and protection. Have you taken that into consideration?

My opinion is I would take the experience and talent you have assembled and offer that to prospective clients such as high profile businesses and individuals. I would offer to train them at their location so they incur the costs of facilities and liability.

I would offer an "outward bound team building" type class, a "weekend warrior get fit course." and a "play soldier for a weekend retreat course".

I would augment that with protective services and corporate security services. Once your reputation is established (and you have regular revenue), would I consider a permanent facility like you describe.
I have thought about the liability waivers would be a definate must. and yes there are many schools out there offering this but mostly out west out of range for a lot of people the east coast. As far as doing it privatly I dont really like that ideah. and the whole ideah is not for some weekend warrior class or some pathetic army boot camp get fit class. It will be more an out door classroom style setting. My goal is not to get rich playing on the societal fears like many it is simply to help others prepare while making a sustainable profit that can go back into the program.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM
SOD's Avatar
SOD SOD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Right side WA state
Posts: 146
Thanks: 217
Thanked 166 Times in 64 Posts
Default

I believe ya ought to go for it.
Even if it does not work out, I think it's great experience.
I think everyone should have the experience of trying to run a business.
I think peoples attitudes toward those have been successful would be different if they understood how difficult it is to make it.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 AM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

so who for a discounted price woud attend the schoo if you didnt have to pay for lodging
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

so i just found a zombie survival course that is 450 a weekend and they are doing really well sold out classes
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to infntryman86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 PM
ScottPreps ScottPreps is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,646
Thanks: 433
Thanked 2,315 Times in 979 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infntryman86 View Post
So I have this idea to start a survival preparedness school when I get out to of the army next year. It would be based in Vermont where i am moving too. I just wanted to know if and how many on here would be interested in attending.
This may be an old thread, but I just happened to find it. Disagree that you're far off beaten path. How many folks drive from NYC and Boston for skiing? How many snowbirds bounce between Florida and northern Mass and VT every spring and fall?

My only suggestions would be...

* Consider not doing just full week or two week things. That is hard to get time for. So yeah, offer them and see how that goes. But also try weekend and long weekend Fri - Mon courses. Maybe those would have to be super focused. But that is something working folks could maybe get away with.

* Maybe add lightweight foraging and hunting. Like some basic easy to ident edibles and maybe snare/skin/cook a rabbit.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 AM
infntryman86 infntryman86 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 36
Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default

dead thread revived so my area of operation to north wester pa
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
carbine, pistol, preparedness, school, survival, tactical, training



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net