Best Portable Toilet for SHTF? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Portable Toilet For Hunting or Camping AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 10-12-2017 07:51 PM
Toilet paper alternatives and personnal hygiene in SHTF situations joey80 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 85 01-20-2017 04:52 PM
SHTF Toilet Paper - Thread Compilation ComancheSniper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 115 08-09-2013 10:57 AM
Bulk Toilet Paper (When SHTF Wipe it!) Mister X Urban Survival 38 09-22-2012 11:57 PM
SHTF Toilet GPArcher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 09-03-2012 01:19 AM
portable toilet for $90 bucks or just bend over in a hole? Domindart Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 47 07-04-2011 05:06 PM
Indoor Toilet, post SHTF KODIAKHERSHEY Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-22-2010 06:06 PM
Great idea for a portable toilet for a BOL tankman1989 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 11-28-2009 05:10 PM
portable alarms for SHTF bug in/out Dirt Fisher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 11-17-2009 02:58 PM

Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Default Best Portable Toilet for SHTF?

Advertise Here

My father put me in charge of setting up my family's emergency supplies for our home, and in most areas (e.g. food, protection, wilderness skills, first aid etc...) I feel prepared, or at least know which direction to go in.

On the subject of septic sanitation I feel at a loss for Bugging in. Digging a latrine is no biggie in the woods, but with a family in the city.... ? I dunno.

I was looking into portable toilets and realized I have no frame of reference whatsoever.

Help good people!

Thanks guys.

-Abe
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to The Abe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,507 Times in 641 Posts

Here ya go..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cearbhall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,433 Times in 3,288 Posts

There are toilet seat lids that will fit a 5 gallon bucket. We use a hospital portapotty, we bought at a thrift store for $5, when we first moved to our homestead and didn't want to hit the outhouse during cold winter nights. We placed a 5 gallon bucket under the seat and it worked great. We also, used it again this past summer when we remodled the bathroom.

You can pick them up at a thrift store very cheaply. Disposing of the wast might be another story. If you have a wood burning stove you can burn the toilet paper like we did to keep the outhouse from filling up so quickly. Now we live out in the woods so we can dig a hole/latrine. But in town it is going to be harder to care properly for the wast that will accululate from your family. You may want to take the bottom out of a plastic trash can and dig a hole in the back yard to lower the bottomless trash can into. Then have a few big bags of lime to sprinkle over the wast when you put it down the trash can hole. Cover the can with a lid and rock to keep the lid from blowing away.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramona M. Faunce For This Useful Post:

Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,056 Times in 3,759 Posts

Ok....Assuming the grid goes down, the pumps stop pumping, then i am digging a slit trench, etc...

Another option is to simply remove the sanitary sewere manhole cover in fron of my house/street, the hole is quite deep, do the deed and be done wtht it..i figure it would take alot of **** before it reached the top....

other option if 55 gal drum, cut in half, like we did in the service, and have a burn party.....

make sure you have a backflow block on your pipe or if the **** does back up, it won't get into your home....
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 4,222 Times in 1,666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

A toilet can be flushed by pouring water into the bowel, it only takes a few gallons and you can use gray water, rain water, water from a pool or pond. The important thing to know is where the nearest lift station is, if there is a lift station the sewer will start to fill up. Where I live there is not a lift station between me and the treatment plant so it will take a long time for it to fill up.

If you are going to compost mix your waste with saw dust it will help it break down. Do not pee in the same place as you poo it will not brake down as fast if you do. Your pee has a lot useful this in it and it would be a shame to just throw it away.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pawiscoming For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,607 Times in 13,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhall View Post
Here ya go..
They said portable.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Hiker

just try and not have a fan nearby........
The Following User Says Thank You to deadair For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Trapper

How long will the fan be out of commission (week, month, Sandy)? What damage is done to keep the normal toilet from being operational (water coming in, water going out)? Place a small shed (tool shed, portable building, ect) over a deep hole and have it convert to a outhouse when needed.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 PM

if you cant dig a hole, such as apartment living, or dont want to go out in the weather, I agree a 5 gallon bucket and make shift lid on plywood or store bought bucket lids work good. plastic bags to line the bucket and lime or kittylitter stop the smell to allow you to use it more than once without being overwhelmed by smell. Hot weather may prevent to much time between usage. tie the bag up and store it elsewhere if you cant bury
The Following User Says Thank You to Bearpaw For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Prepared

The best portable toilet is any place you can squat in privacy.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
It's good to be back! :)

I have a portable camp toilet and plenty of enzyme packs for it. I would dump the tank down the existing toilet.

BTW, I found something out the hard way: In our house there is an unused half-bathroom where we shut off the water to the toilet tank because it was leaking, and no one was using that bathroom anyway. The room it's attached to is my sewing room.

One day my sewing room began to stink like, well, a sewer. All the water in the bowl had evaporated, and sewer gases were rising up out of it. The lid, of course, does not make an airtight seal. So now I fill the bowl periodically with a bucketful of water -- problem solved. (If I didn't have that option, such as if the water to the whole house were shut off or contaminated, I'd find some other way to seal it up.)

Maybe this is old news to some of you folks, but it was news to me. Better to find out now than later, I guess!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prudence For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM

depends... I use the 5 gallon bucket at my cabin...

http://youtu.be/qCcCbeAoJoE

beyond that a shovel...

Last edited by OLDWarrior64; 11-12-2013 at 03:16 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cleb For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Gitter Done!

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,499 Posts
Cool

When I first built my house I had no running water for a year before the finances came in to finish the well pump room and finish the pipe work throughout the house. The option was a porta-potti or a bucket.
(An outhouse would have been built on a side of a hill, no thanks).

I bought the porta-potti and it worked great for a few months, but then it sprang a small leak. So until I got another porta-potti it was the bucket, which once you go 1 or 2, you just throw in sand or ash on the top of your waste in the bucket. I found that ash (from the fireplace or burn barrel) works best as it takes away 99 percent of the smell.

So if you go with the comfy flushing porta-potti it is good to have a backup in case it breaks. (or lots of epoxy on hand). Considering toilets will flush if there is water added to the toilet (requires having water to put into the toilet) it will also work dumping the bucket or porta-potti into the toilet with just enough water to make it flush.

There are several options to get water. Just have several options to work with in your home, apartment or Buggin out fort.

If you are not in a cement city and have dirt around (besides the kiddies playground and sand box), you can dig a hole large enough just to dump your waste into and retreat back into your HQ again.
The Following User Says Thank You to usmountains For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,192 Times in 8,929 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

A good chemical toilet, extra toilet chemical, and a shovel.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,199 Posts
Default Personnal Experience Receipt For A Good Shiet

Get some new-used 5-6 gallon plastic buckets WITH LIDS, either square or round will work...if you measure. Buy a good cheap wood toilet lid from WW or other, get some cheap cat litter in a big sack and buy a bunch of 13 gallon white trash basket liners.

Grab your buckets and see if the toilet lid will sit on the top of the bucket. No wobbling is permitted...if it is unstable, then AHHHH-SHIET! Dump a little (couple of cups) of cat litter in the bottom of the empty bucket. This works as a fall back containment thingie.

Then TRIPLE LINE the bucket with the trash bags. Dump another couple of cups of cat litter in the bottom. Employ the bucket until about 75% full....no more. Be sure to add cat litter as the bucket is being employeeeed as a sit down comfort device.

When about 75% full (no more) remove the three bags with the stuff inside and tie it off with the provided (hope soss) ties provided with the trash bags. Remove the air before tieing tightly. Place the forementioned bags with waste somewhere safe.

It will not stink. You can use the bucket over again many times, but you do reach a point where the bucket has absorbed stinks and will not quite ever be the same again. The lid is employeeed between uses as a odor stopper. This system works.

HB of CJ (old coot) (personnally done all of this) No leaks, runs or errors...and...no job is finished until the paper work is done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HB of CJ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Gettin' there

Thanked 1,144 Times in 356 Posts

I use elephant size sleeping pills. So when I wake up, I don't have time to run to the bathroom. Beside my bed I use those handicap toilets/hospital toilets. It has a seat, cover, arm rails and I'm not sure of the size of the bucket that is attached. I line it with 2 waste paper trash can size bags.

We also use this when we go camping. Change the bag however often you wish. If it's just pee in there, I'll let it get near full before changing (I'm the only one who uses it at the house). I tie a knot in the bag and out it goes.

This will be our makeshift toilet system in a SHTF situation.

http://blog.timesunion.com/simplerli...e-commode1.jpg
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,498 Times in 6,724 Posts

Folds down to just 5'' in height
300 Lbs weight capacity
To be used with Double Doodie waste bags
One bonus bag included
Easy to carry
Lightweight
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-P...oilet/10829093
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 AM

the cheapest most portable would be the closest tree to you...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,040 Times in 509 Posts

No pics or links to offer but how about a bumper dumper that fits in the hitch of your truck I think they even have a shower curtin thing that you can hide in while going
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Old Hounds Smell Good

Thanked 2,347 Times in 743 Posts

If you're looking for something that has more permanence then you're going to have to spend money. On the upside of that, these things are pretty awesome and a small solar set up that will charge the DC system will allow you to have a higher capacity toilet.

To preserve these guys for better usage, you can pee in excess of your standard 3 times of the rating somewhere else.

Here are some good choices.

http://www.envirolet.com/enwatsel.html (these guys are having a sale too)
http://www.biolet.com/store/biolet-6...ess-toilet-p-2 (power use on this one is very reasonable for a small solar set up and offers really good capacity)
http://www.compostingtoilet.com/?page_id=401 (This is a more robust system that you could install in a FROG with the tank in the garage below. Very high capacity)
https://www.lehmans.com/p-3645-excel...ng-toilet.aspx (And the best seller of all)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChristyACB For This Useful Post: