Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazing stun guns sudaisabdullah Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 2 07-25-2012 11:44 PM
Stun guns handyman Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 8 04-24-2012 10:11 AM
Barracuda 3 million volt stun guns Dougzilla For Sale 21 08-02-2011 11:43 PM
Stun Guns - Tasers Eliot Urban Survival 30 04-28-2011 08:32 AM
Stun Guns in stock! Dougzilla For Sale 0 04-05-2011 11:06 PM
stun guns to treat bea stings and scorpon bytes paradice Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 03-25-2011 08:45 AM
New Product - Barracuda Stun Guns! Dougzilla For Sale 4 03-10-2011 04:46 PM
Stun Guns and TASERS fightback247 Firearms General Discussion 6 12-04-2010 05:24 PM
Stun Guns - 3 million Volts albertjohnson Urban Survival 14 09-07-2010 02:12 PM
Batons and Stun Guns SHoNUFF Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 18 02-15-2010 10:02 AM

Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Sheepdog

Thanked 3,239 Times in 1,031 Posts

Advertise Here

Stun guns aren't very effective, tasers on the other hand are. If your willing to break the bank check out the x26 tasers, our local police department carry those. A buddy of mine who happens to be a cop tested the stun of his x26 on me one time for kicks and giggles (the x26 can be switched from a taser to a stun gun by simply removing the cartridge), it barely hurt and it sure wouldn't have put me on the ground, now the taser on the other hand....
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 14,931 Times in 3,554 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2

I've heard it said that when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. That makes a good case for less than lethal options, but as a cop I can tell you that tasers and pepper spray do fail to stop aggression...more often than you think. Heck, guns sometimes fail to stop. They are great options and much better than nothing.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYCHICKEN View Post
The more power they have the more effective they are.

That being said their are several cattle prong models that can simply be modified to be near lethal

the devices themselves also can be modified with capaitors to make 'traps'

Actually the further apart the prongs are the more effective they are as apposed to higher voltages. This is why TASERS are so effective as they pass a large amount of current across a wide area of the body. All TASER's hype about Micro Pulse Technology doesn't mean much. Jack Cover who invented the original TASER figured out that current passing through two probes that were attached to separate locations on the body caused more loss of motor control than do electrical discharges to a centralized location.

Now don't get me wrong, a compact 4 or 5 million volt stun gun will hurt like hell, but it won't have the "Lock Up" ability of what a wide stun gun will at half the voltage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Prepared

I can't remember the brand now, but when I was in college I worked at a gun shop. We carried stun guns for a while there. They were priced at $75.

Being a bunch of college students, we'd screw with each other a lot. The instructions on the stun guns said they required 6-10 seconds of continuous contact to a persons neck or chest to put them down. I know for a fact that shocking someone unsuspecting on the neck from behind won't put them down. Will get the glass in your display case broken though....

Honestly, the surefire lights in the counter did more to incapacitate us than the stun guns did. You'd be blinky for a few minutes with the surefires, just ****ed off with the stun guns. YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to skpotamus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Prepared

cover the test barbs.get some heat shrink seal it off so you don't get that ZAP when do the test it really ramps up what your feel...did it for the wife..cop buddy got her a monster.She touch me elbow and my friggin arm hurt ALL day.Muscles went nuts.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Screenwriter/wheelgun guy

Thanked 3,442 Times in 1,242 Posts

Two different items: stun gun and TASER. I have carried both. I used the 300k stun baton to keep a dog from attacking us. As far as TASER goes, I have never felt anythng more painful in my life. It locks up every muscle in the body and their is no reisiting. Stun guns rely on pain compliance, TASERs on incapacitation. They both work, but for different things. A stun gun is like stabbing someone with an icepick A TASER is like hitting them with a baseball bat all over at once, but no breakage.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 PM

I am a pretty big dude and a taser took me down like I was nothing. I don't know about stun guns but I recommend tasers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taxpimp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Prepared

There's a whole bunch of youtube clips of drunk guys shocking each other with stun guns. I typically dont see that kind of stuff with pepper spray.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm just getting started!

I have pepper spray and a stun gun. I'm afraid to use the pepper spray cause in a situation I would have to use it I might not take notice to which way the wind is blowing and get myself. My stun gun is 7,500,000 volts and I have yet to use it. The guys I work with said if I didn't get one on my own they were going to get me one. A few months ago I was flagged down for help after work. About 1:20am. I was beat on for a solid 5 minutes, for my phone. No I don't stop anymore. I'm gonna light his ass up if I ever see him again.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
Stupid question maybe... But given how heavily they are advertised... I have never once seen anyone use them in a takedown... Not law enforcement... Not nightclub bouncers... Nobody... Not even muggers.

I know Tasers work well... But does anyone have experience with hand held stun guns? (I had a woman put hers on me 20+ years ago just so we could see what it would do. It didn't do much... But we were told she had a particularly crappy or weak model. It didn't stop me. It didn't even hurt. But I've heard other people say good ones put them on the floor... I've just never actually seen it.)

When I Google videos... They are either staged or unimpressive.

I would think that with the effectiveness of Tasers... Stun guns would worl well. I'd like to add one like this to my bag

http://www.knivesanddefensedepot.com...ts_id=63404741

But I'd like to find someone in LE who can comment on their effectiveness before I blindly put my trust in something I have never seen work.
i've found the Taser to be really effective in certain situations, just as i have pepper spray (OC)..... as long as the Taser has a good spread and cycles correctly, your body really can't fight it. heavy clothes/coats can defeat it (no connection), as can poor maintenance/user error (low battery, poor application). they also work pretty well on aggressive dogs....

one issue i see with less-lethal stuff, is that people think that it will work all the time, in every scenario. generally when people apply the tool, the bad guy is already wound up (or on some sort of chemical(s)).... OC works great in certain scenarios, but i am essentially immune to it now (due to being inadvertently sprayed a lot)...i love to use it if there's a group of people fighting, as it helps clear them out. but if someone's giving me the 1,000 yard stare, then it's pretty much a waste of time...

i think "stun guns" were essentially on the way out in popularity, until the Taser came on the market, and the consumer demand brought them back (even though they are not the same thing at all)...
Old 06-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,359 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrsbs View Post
yes,stun guns effective

but not at all.very hard to find good one.when more power they have the more effective they are.Some are effective some are not. The one you get at the market....are not.Pepper spray is another popular choice in self defense. With brands like Wildfire Pepper very effective.you can check it here <a href="http://www.smartstun.com">stun gun</a>Another popular option are High Intensity Lasers from WICKED LASERS, an innovative new way to ensure your personal safety.i know industry leading provider of real self defense tools include effective stun guns.these are very helpfully for me and i really think these are very helpfulyl too.So take a look inside and see for yourself why so many make SmartStun their first choice in self defense <a href="http://www.smartstun.com/">stun gun</a>
DO NOT. Bump my old posts so that you can advertise YOUR auctions on eBay. That is low ball BS.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,532 Times in 555 Posts

Excactly why when carrying a non-lethal, you should carry a lethal if allowable by law. Or have multiple redundant non-lethals and some sort of defense training
Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusken Raider View Post
Excactly why when carrying a non-lethal, you should carry a lethal if allowable by law. Or have multiple redundant non-lethals and some sort of defense training
this brings up a good point about the law.... many Tasers and stunguns are considered weapons, and require a CCW permit...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,714 Times in 1,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
Stupid question maybe... But given how heavily they are advertised... I have never once seen anyone use them in a takedown... Not law enforcement... Not nightclub bouncers... Nobody... Not even muggers.

I know Tasers work well... But does anyone have experience with hand held stun guns? (I had a woman put hers on me 20+ years ago just so we could see what it would do. It didn't do much... But we were told she had a particularly crappy or weak model. It didn't stop me. It didn't even hurt. But I've heard other people say good ones put them on the floor... I've just never actually seen it.)

When I Google videos... They are either staged or unimpressive.

I would think that with the effectiveness of Tasers... Stun guns would worl well. I'd like to add one like this to my bag

http://www.knivesanddefensedepot.com...ts_id=63404741

But I'd like to find someone in LE who can comment on their effectiveness before I blindly put my trust in something I have never seen work.
tasers are stun guns with deployable electrodes for a longer distance effective range. they work on some, not on others. they have very little effect on me. we have trained for them. i would not depend on one for defense. they are very little more than nothing. get a CCW with hollow points.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,349 Times in 694 Posts

I have a cattle prod and have used it. one time i pulled it, the drunk saw the spark and wanted nothing to do with it.

The problem with stun guns is winter use.

A heavy jacket will block the probes from reaching the skin and make them useless in many cases.
The Following User Says Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Digger

years ago in tennesse i used to sell stun guns...i had some expensive ones and some cheap ones. personally i wouldn't recommend them, the batteries go dead quickly even when they are not being used and i found that they are largely unreliable. you can't drop them and you can't get them wet.

the one thing they are good for is psychological intimidation. the blue lightning arc combined with the loud crackling sound may scare an assailant off before the attack.

like i said it was years ago and the technology may have improved since then but i'll personally stick to edged weapons and pepper spray.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:10 PM
FBHO

Thanked 2,126 Times in 737 Posts

Why would one want to taser and let them live, only to try to sue you, and perhaps dealing with it still be considered deadly force if you lived in a free state?

If I was in fear for my life to the point that I'd taser, I'd just shoot them till the threat was gone. aka dead.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Digger

a very good point sharkeater i never thought about that. it's better to just put them down, why let a would be robber or rapist live to prey on another victim later?
The Following User Says Thank You to dave fuches For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 PM
present and accounted for

Thanked 9,921 Times in 3,053 Posts

Stun gun- pain
Taser- incapacitation
The Following User Says Thank You to Wall*e For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Tilt. Cock. Lock. Look.

Location: Wave Hill Station. Northern Territory of Australia.
Thanked 1,972 Times in 840 Posts

Taser - point 'n' shoot, laser pointer equipped. Accurate enough over 'intermediate' distance, easy enough for a novice to use....

Stun gun - CQC - Close Quarters Combat.