Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V8 Juice as a prep... Hawaii Guy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 45 05-03-2016 05:40 PM
No juice for you sandcrab General Discussion 45 04-01-2015 10:34 AM
Blueberry Juice Durgan Recipes 3 11-09-2014 12:54 PM
Juice fast falconbrother Health, Fitness and First Aid 7 02-17-2014 10:35 AM
*** diy chicken waterer! ((chicken nipples)) *** homefarmideas DIY - Do It Yourself 30 01-01-2013 04:21 PM
A relaxed chicken is a healthy chicken. POPPALUV Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 05-22-2012 03:44 PM
Chicken Coop addition and chicken updates! Festes Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 03-06-2012 04:46 PM
Leatherman Juice CS4 skifast Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos 4 09-19-2009 05:22 PM
Lime juice Bearson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 10-13-2008 12:06 PM
Lemon juice sylan Edible & Non-Edible Plants 10 10-04-2008 10:46 PM

Old 09-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Hunter

Default Chicken Juice

Advertise Here

Thanks to all that got me started and taught me how to roast a chicken.

I used to buy cut up chicken for the grill, now I am all about roasting them in the oven. (BTW, is there a difference between the $.98/lb or $1.29/lb or $2.19/lb whole chickens?)

Back to the topic of this thread, what do I do with the juices from the chicken? Is that soup? Or what do I add to make it into soup.

Chicken soup recipes wanted or other ideas to use the roasted chicken juice.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to southtex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Old Guy

Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,103 Posts

The drippings will make a nice gravy with the addition of some flour to make a roux, Or you can separate the fat out and use it as a basis for soup.

I like to keep some of the chicken grease to use as a soup base as well.

As far as price per pound differences, just inspect the chicken and if it looks good, buy it. Often, larger chickens are older and therefore tougher.
The Following User Says Thank You to CA357 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 30,955 Times in 8,957 Posts

That's also known as chicken stock. Make a soup, a gravy, heck can it up to make chicken soup with it for later if you get sick.

Save some of that and add pieces of cooked chicken and can it.

Nothing like homemade chicken soup if you come down with a cold or the flu.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Hunter

I know how to make a roux to make just plain gravy, but any recipes for chicken soups? Classic chicken noodle soup and any others?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,797 Times in 5,016 Posts

After I got tired of eating fast food crap, I bought this book. It's a great source of recipes and good general info on cooking basics that helped me out.

Amazon.com: Cooking Basics For Dummies... cover
Amazon.com: Cooking Basics For Dummies...
Here's a link to most of it, but you have to pay to get all the recipes. Looks like they won't give the chicken noodle soup recipe for free, bummer!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45661552/C...cs-For-Dummies
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,085 Times in 31,035 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If you debone your chicken, put the bones, the "chicken juice" and a quart of water in a pot and boil for about 1/2 hour. It will give you a nice rich stock to start with.

Mel's Chicken Stew

2 quarts of chicken stock
3/4 pound cut up cooked chicken (not finely cut up)
3 tbs. dried onion
1 tbs. dried bell pepper
1 tbs. dried celery
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup dried carrots (or 1 cup frozen)
1/2 cup dried sweet peas (or 1 cup frozen) OR 1 cup frozen okra
1/2 cup dried diced tomatoes (or 1 can - depending on how well you like tomatoes)
1 cup frozen or canned corn
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Cajun Seasoning or two shakes of hot sauce

Throw all of this in a pot together and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes. Serve over cooked rice, a spoon of rice in each cup of soup.

If you are feeling really wild, add 1/2 pound of smoked sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces with your chicken.

If you use the sweet peas it's stew, if you use the okra it's gumbo.

Last edited by Mels thinkingitover; 09-08-2012 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: forgot the garlic
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Chicken Noodle Soup

2 quarts chicken stock
1/2 pound chopped chicken
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 1/2 tsp. Nature's Seasoning (made by Morton's)*
Salt to taste

Cook for 30 minutes, until carrots are tender.

Add 8 oz. of egg noodles, spaghetti noodles or linguini noodles (your choice which, I usually just use spaghetti noodles.)

Cook for 10 minutes.

To thicken the soup if needed, mix 2 tbsp. of cornstarch in 1/4 cold water and slowly stir in to the soup. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes stirring. This should thicken the broth enough.

*I say Nature's Seasoning because it is a mix of spices that works well in things like this. If you have not done a lot of scratch cooking, I don't know how extensive your spice shelf is. I tend to throw in some things, . When you'd like a list of throw in spices, feel free to let me know.
Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Hunter

Those sound like some good Chicken Soup and stew recipes. (And really easy too.)

Since ya'all got me started roasting chicken, I've been roasting a chicken a couple times per week. Now that weather will start turning, chicken soup will be nice and warming.

Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southtex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 45,707 Times in 10,991 Posts

Damn the bunch of you. Now I'm starving for some homemade chicken soup.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve28 View Post
Damn the bunch of you. Now I'm starving for some homemade chicken soup.
With ground beef up to $2.50 pound, I've started switching to more chicken.

I hear you. I just roasted a chicken Friday and ate off the bird for dinner. Cleaned what was left to the bone, made chicken sandwiches for lunch yesterday and King Ranch Chicken for dinner last night. (Probably tonight too.)

I just didn't know what to do with all the leftover juices. Chicken soup does sound delicious. As I cook more and more, I wonder why I ever bought anything frozen or in a can.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to southtex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,797 Times in 5,016 Posts

Thanks for the King Ranch idea southtex, I've never tried it before.

If you're looking for other ideas for your left over bird, White Chicken Chili is one of my favorites. The recipe can also be found on some cans of Bush's Great Northern Beans.

http://recipes.bushbeans.com/recipe/...ken-chili.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
Thanks for the King Ranch idea southtex, I've never tried it before.

If you're looking for other ideas for your left over bird, White Chicken Chili is one of my favorites. The recipe can also be found on some cans of Bush's Great Northern Beans.

http://recipes.bushbeans.com/recipe/...ken-chili.aspx
We love our chili and casseroles with a little kick. King Ranch Chicken is basically an enchilada casserole. Don't be shy with a little heat.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

SouthTex you had asked about chicken prices and what the differences are. Since prices are all over the place across the country I can't tell what you are seeing in the store for those price points but here is the chicken lesson of the day. Chickens that weigh 3 1/2 pounds and under are definitely the ones you want to use for frying, if you fry chicken. The pieces are small enough to cook evenly and tender enough to be enjoyable. They are also fine for baking/roasting. Chickens between 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 are going to be good chickens for baking/roasting/stewing. They are meaty and not too tough. A chicken over 6 pounds is generally referred to as a "roaster." These are chickens that if you bake them slowly and for a longer time you can cook somewhat like a turkey, just not as long. A roaster will tend to be a tougher chicken and unless you are setting a table that you want a "pretty, larger bird for the table" is not usually worth the extra price. The roasters do tend to be on the $2.19/pound end of the price scale around here.

Happy chickening.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 6,763 Times in 1,966 Posts

After eating roasted chicken the first night, the next day I put the carcass in my stock pot with a couple cup up onions and some garlic. Slow simmer all day (I like getting every speck of flavor out of the bones). Since I stuff my roasted chicken, I leave any remaining stuffing in the bird and boil that too. It disintegrates into the broth and makes a thin gravy. I put a drainer over another pot and pour the broth into the other pot. I pick all the meat I can off the bones and out of the boiled onions in the drainer. Then make I make dumplings (REAL dumplings, not the nasty oversize noodles they call dumplings in the South)

Damn, now I'm hungry but it's too hot for roasted chicken right now.

1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. veg oil
1/2 c. milk

Combine the dry ingredients. Add the milk and oil and mix to form a soft dough. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling gravy. Boil for about 10 minutes.

Last edited by yappat; 09-11-2012 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Oops, forgot the dumpling recipe
The Following User Says Thank You to yappat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappat View Post
After eating roasted chicken the first night, the next day I put the carcass in my stock pot with a couple cup up onions and some garlic. Slow simmer all day (I like getting every speck of flavor out of the bones). Since I stuff my roasted chicken, I leave any remaining stuffing in the bird and boil that too. It disintegrates into the broth and makes a thin gravy. I put a drainer over another pot and pour the broth into the other pot. I pick all the meat I can off the bones and out of the boiled onions in the drainer. Then make I make dumplings (REAL dumplings, not the nasty oversize noodles they call dumplings in the South)

Damn, now I'm hungry but it's too hot for roasted chicken right now.

1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. veg oil
1/2 c. milk

Combine the dry ingredients. Add the milk and oil and mix to form a soft dough. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling gravy. Boil for about 10 minutes.
We're a mixed dumpling marriage at my house so I alternate. One time nice fluffy dumplings, the next time flat rubbery dumplings. I consider "rubber dumpling" night a diet night because those things are just disgusting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM
You talkin' to me?

Thanked 28,430 Times in 6,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappat View Post
After eating roasted chicken the first night, the next day I put the carcass in my stock pot with a couple cup up onions and some garlic. Slow simmer all day (I like getting every speck of flavor out of the bones). Since I stuff my roasted chicken, I leave any remaining stuffing in the bird and boil that too. It disintegrates into the broth and makes a thin gravy. I put a drainer over another pot and pour the broth into the other pot. I pick all the meat I can off the bones and out of the boiled onions in the drainer.......
We do the same thing with our leftover Turkey after the Thanksgiving meal, then we either have a couple of meals of turkey soup or we can it for "Meal-in-a-jar" type storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,029 Times in 451 Posts

You can also add homemade egg noodles to it. My daughter really loves it with the noodles and dumplings and really stretches the meal a bit further. You can also look up making chicken stock. I put the juices boiled with the bones then I place it in the fridge overnight in the morning I skim off the fat. Throw that fat out.Put some carrots celery and onions in a pot with the juices and boil and freeze in ice cube trays when it froze solid put the cubes in a freezer bag then you got chicken stock as needed. You can also do this with beef for beef stock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eqgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 6,763 Times in 1,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels thinkingitover View Post
We're a mixed dumpling marriage at my house so I alternate. One time nice fluffy dumplings, the next time flat rubbery dumplings. I consider "rubber dumpling" night a diet night because those things are just disgusting.
"Mixed dumpling marriage"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yappat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqgirl View Post
You can also add homemade egg noodles to it. My daughter really loves it with the noodles and dumplings and really stretches the meal a bit further. You can also look up making chicken stock. I put the juices boiled with the bones then I place it in the fridge overnight in the morning I skim off the fat. Throw that fat out.Put some carrots celery and onions in a pot with the juices and boil and freeze in ice cube trays when it froze solid put the cubes in a freezer bag then you got chicken stock as needed. You can also do this with beef for beef stock.
Oh, great... now I have to figure out how to make homeade egg noodles. I couldn't find any in the spaghetti section at my HEB.

(I gave up on asking for help from the grocery store employees, they try to be very helpful, but when I asked the meat counter guy where the veal was, he told me that they don't sell wild game. Of course, I don't ask for directions when I'm lost either. )
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 PM

1lb Two part Onion 1 part carrot, 1 Part celery
8 lb Chicken carcass, wings leg and thigh bones etc.
2 Bay Leaf
2 Clove Garlic
4 Sprig Thyme
Parsley Stems

Remove all skin and excess fat from your bird remains. Place in stock pot with 3 gallons of water. Bring to a boil. When the water comes to a boil immediately turn to low and skim all fat and foam that has accumunlated on the top. Add vegetables and flavorings. Simmmer for at least 6 hours on low. Continue skimming the top frequently. You now have classic chicken stock. Make soup with it, make sauces, gravy, stew, or use it to cook rice. I always have a couple gallons on hand. If you want a deeper richer flavor mix the bones and vegetables with tomato paste, place on seperate pans and roast in the oven until lightly charred. Then follow the same procedure as for the other stock. After the cooking is over, strain the liquid to cool it quickly by putting the pot in a sink filled with ice water. After it has cooled I put it in gallon ziplock bags, seal them and lay them flat in the freezer. You can also can it for long term storage using a pressure canner. BTW beef or veal neck bones can be used in the same manner. Bon Appetit
The Following User Says Thank You to gobears1997 For This Useful Post: