Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Email Alerts for GLOCK 43 - The NEW 9mm Single Stack Glock apps47inc For Sale 1 03-20-2015 01:07 AM
Smith & Wesson SD40/SD40VE 40 S&W 14rd Mag (19927) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-12-2014 08:51 AM
NutinFancy Parody: Compares Glock 17 to Glock 17 KaBar67 Pistol and Revolver Forum 2 02-03-2013 03:25 PM
KCI Glock Magazines In Stock - 3 Pack $39 (Glock 17) or $45 (Glock 19) apps47inc For Sale 0 01-13-2013 03:21 PM
Glock 23 Gen 2 .40S&W Police Trades two 13 rd Magazines - $299 shipped, Glock 22 $319 apps47inc For Sale 0 10-19-2012 08:51 PM
Question to Glock armorers or Glock dealers Waldlaeufer Pistol and Revolver Forum 12 10-15-2012 01:44 PM
Smith & Wesson SD40 VE 40 S&W Pistol 4 Barrel 14 Rd Two-Tone - $283 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 09-07-2012 10:25 PM
My New S&W SD40 doodo40 Pistol and Revolver Forum 4 11-16-2010 08:30 AM
GLOCK GEN 4 Glock-22-GEN4-Dual-Recoil-Spring-in-Slide DESIGN ranbo1213 Pistol and Revolver Forum 6 10-20-2010 05:02 PM
Trading From Glock .40S&W to Glock 9mm Interested? (East TX) Capa Ender Pistol and Revolver Forum 10 05-17-2010 07:54 PM

Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Hunter

Advertise Here

I'd be interested if they offered one in 45....evidently anyone can make an economy pistol that runs 9 and 40.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,755 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post
I'm gonna go to the LGS and handle one of these new SD40's myself and see how objectionable the triggers really are. The trigger on my XD is nothing to brag about.. None of my Glocks have the 3-1/2lb trigger disconnect and probably break in the neighborhood of 6-7lbs..

When using striker-fired handguns like Ruger SR, Glocks, M&Ps, XDs and Sigmas, they are more akin to shooting revolvers in double-action mode than autoloaders in single-action mode because of the long trigger slack take up and long reset. None of the striker-fired pistols are known for their "great triggers". Glock, XD, Sigma, M&P, Taurus--all their triggers suck, IMO. There's no second-strike capability and you have to rack the slide before you can fire them. They are all very effective within their rather limited capabilities of range and accuracy. A DA/SA can be cocked before firing enabling better accuracy potential due to lighter trigger pull compared to a s-f or DAO handgun.

How bad the trigger is on this new S&W remains to be seen. Until you've personally handled one and/or shot one it's merely your opinion on how well it functions. Bad mouthing something without having tried it does not lend to credibility and is like running your mouth with your brain in neutral.
I agree.

Several of my CCW students have bought them and brought them to classes. So i've shoot a good half dozen or more.

They're still crap in my opinion.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,357 Times in 1,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6864 View Post
I was replying to the poster about his Ruger not the Sigma the Ruger SRs had a recall....I dont think there is any way to get a Sigma/SD to fire by dropping it because the striker is not pre-cocked as much as say the Glock or XD
My bad, I was zipping through the thread and didn't notice that...........no offense intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post
I'm gonna go to the LGS and handle one of these new SD40's myself and see how objectionable the triggers really are. The trigger on my XD is nothing to brag about.. None of my Glocks have the 3-1/2lb trigger disconnect and probably break in the neighborhood of 6-7lbs..
Dont expect a glock trigger on the SD...I have a gen 3 glock and the triggers are not even close. The biggest difference is trigger reset and take up. This is because with the Glock the sear is partially pre-cocked while the SD is not. With the glock there is a good amount of dead trigger at first then you hit a short trigger pull to actually fire....then you have a short reset (as long as you dont let trigger out all the way) and each shot after that will have no take up.

With the SD your trigger pulls will be longer as the action of the trigger fully sets the sear giving you a longer reset as well. But the trigger breaks clean with no stacking like you had with the Sigma because of the different sear in the Sigma.

I dont have a scale but my SD40 and Glock seem to be almost exactly the weight only difference being take up and reset.

I still dont see what the big deal about the Sigma trigger was? The gun was never meant to be a range queen it was designed for self defense. Actually the Sigma makes you a better shooter as you need great trigger control to land your shots. Id say most of the bad rep comes from guys pulling their shots low and left just because they lack trigger control.

The one thing I find strange about the SD is that the rear rails are attached to the removable sear block. As to why S&W did this who knows. Maybe it was for ease of repair after seeing Glock have problems with rear rails being sheared off.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:50 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlledpress View Post
They're still crap in my opinion.
And that's all anything on here is, OPINION. Mine, yours, or anyone else's. The fact that the gun doesn't work for you, doesn't make it crap. It's just wrong for you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tyusclan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,332 Times in 1,988 Posts
Default Gun snobs amaze me

Okay, I'm the new guy so I expect I'll take some flack. Reading these forums on all those who hate on the SD9 VE or anything Taurus makes or other good guns makes me laugh. Whatever you own and like is obviously the best by most posters logic. Anything you don't own is crap...right? All the Glock worshipers are still sticking to their script even though the recoil spring mod is now in its third form and still failing on the Gen 4. The extractors and ejectors are failing, denting the brass and throwing it back in your face. Don't get me wrong, I like Glocks for their history of reliability. But then, I like about every gun I've ever owned, borrowed or fired. Much like Hickok45 I think whatever you own or have available at the time will probably get the job done if you've done your part before the need arises. Can we quit with the "My whoop de doo is the best whoop de do ever made and your's is crap" stuff. A drop in $17. mod will give you a 5# trigger with the SD9 or SD40 VE. Taurus makes some fine firearms. Their 92F versions and PT1911 are great firearms along with their Mod. 85 revolvers. I'm pretty sure others in their line are as well. These are just the ones I've personally owned and enjoyed. I've owned hundreds of guns over the decades and very few of them have had any issues at any price. When I get one with an issue I fix it or have someone better qualified than I fix it. Get over the gun snob stuff and enjoy what you can afford and like. Just don'e ever spend so much on one that you can't afford the most important part of ownership....the ammo to train and stay trained.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushmaster1911 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"

Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,241 Posts

Sold my Glock to get an XD, damn glad I did....
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,047 Posts

Glocks are not as reliable as most think there have been several recalls over the years.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6864 View Post
To all those who cant pull an 8lb trigger man the **** up! Or go buy a SA the Glock has a lower weight trigger because it pre-cocks the striker more than the Sigma/SD/SDVE. If you want a light trigger why bother with a DA?
I agree, I just got one and I have no trouble pulling the trigger with the tip of my finger.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Hiker

I have the Sigma 40F and I like it. However I have shot my son in law's M&P duty pistol and I really love that one. When I get into the pistol market again I will consider this latest one
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Prepared

I dont want to be come off like a glock fan boy becuase those drive me nutz. God i hate fan boys. I like Glock pistols becuase of there design. Here is the reasoning. Glocks do not have safety levers. Now thats important to me becuase i have trouble reaching and using the safety on some pistols. Pistols such as the Berretta 92fs and any version of the 1911. For each of those i have to shift the pistol in my hand to use the safety effective. For me that is unnacceptable.

GLocks lack of a safety lever was concerning for me at first, but then i got over it. I Dont have shift the thing in my hand to operate a design feature. Even the Slide release is in a suitable location.

There are others that feel good to me but i like glocks, none have proven them selvs like they have.
The Following User Says Thank You to kframe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,903 Times in 727 Posts

Personally, that pistol is not at all aesthically appealing.
Eh, took a second look. It does resemble my Glock...which is butt ugly.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM

Wink One mind any weapon

I just purchased the snw sd40ve. I fin it to be a nice piece, im more of a rifleman, but i enjoy the way sd40 ve looks and feels. For tge money i paid i also feel it is money well spent.

Now with that going said i dont see the big deal about the whole glock, over this weapon or any weapon for that matter. Being a combat vet of 2 wars, imho it doesnt matter what weapon i use. One mind any weapon we say! If the time comes, god forbid of course. It aint goin to matter if i have a glock, sd40, hell even a pop gun. Odds r im going to use wats available at that given time. Even if its a rock. So i dont see what the big deal is. Guns r a man made tool and tool a fault are not perfect. Also a gun is only effective as it wielder, in other words if you dont know jack then it aint going to matter what you do with it.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 AM
".....ya think?"

Thanked 1,003 Times in 353 Posts

Sold my XD to get a Glock, damn glad I did....
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Target Shooter

I bought one not the best.....But I paid $310.00 for it shoots like I thought it would no problems with it........
Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 AM

This gun is beautiful! I'm thinking of getting a S&W M&P9c
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM
The Tactical Outdoorsman

My dad has a Sigma in .40 that I have fired about 700 rounds through. I think it is a good economy SD gun. I like the ergonomics of it and I never experienced a single malfunction. The only bad thing about it is the horrible trigger pull. Unless they do something to make the trigger at least half way decent, I really don't think this will be any better of a gun than a Sigma.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Red face Sigma 40 VE not a boat anchor

The first question I ask when some one tells me my Sigma is a POS is, " When is the last time you shot one?". So many times the reply is never. So don't hate until you have given it a shot.
With that being said everyone has thier preference, I personally like my Sigma over the Glocks because of the way it shoots. I consistantly shoot 95 or better at my qualifications at 7,15 and 25 yds. When I went through LE training we used Glocks, they shot fine but not my favorite. That's me. They make a nice weapon and were the industry leaders in the technology. But then again so was Ford at one time. Things change, technology advances, and companies adapt to the market.
I don't hate Glocks or even HighPoint, because what works for you is the best for you. If you can only afford 200.00 bucks to protect your family then an HP pistol is better than a bat.
We are obviously ALL pro gun, so instead of hating what Fred or George is carrying or likes, help him improve his skills so he can be the best with it. Then when you need Henry down the street with his HighPoint to help out because all hells broke loose you know you have the best back up possible, regardless of what he has. JUST SAYIN.
The Following User Says Thank You to Murphyslaw1973 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Armed and Ready

I carry an sd40ve on a daily basis. Great gun, the trigger isnt bad but I am gonna get the apex 20 dollar kit. Surprisingly, Ive have quite a few sheriffs deputies compliment the gun.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM

Default S&w sd40 ve

I own an SD40, and it is an AWESOME handgun. Except for 1 thing.....the 8lb trigger pull. I understand it's supposed to bolster confidence in the shooter because of consistency, but it's really just too much. 5lb would be much better. Just saying...