Deployed in Afghan and SHTF what to do - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For the guys who have been deployed in the last 15 years Mels thinkingitover General Discussion 47 09-23-2014 12:50 AM
What to use deployed airbag for? Rogue1371 DIY - Do It Yourself 19 03-15-2014 09:04 PM
Anybody else been deployed? Albus Tigris General Discussion 26 01-08-2013 07:33 AM
WTF should I do when SHTF and I'm deployed? RedlegXXV Urban Survival 45 12-09-2012 03:18 PM
US Troops Being Deployed To Israel...? temu Religious Discussion 44 01-08-2012 11:48 PM
Us troops deployed to africa Bearpaw Controversial News and Alternative Politics 45 10-26-2011 10:35 AM
Care Package for Deployed RecordOLW Military Weapons Forum 28 10-09-2011 10:34 PM
Deployed Military SHTF Situations wolfdreamer Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 11-17-2010 07:55 AM
Deployed Cooking eodtech256 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 09-07-2009 08:59 PM
20,000 US troops to be deployed, in the US. rabbit_hmpr Controversial News and Alternative Politics 21 12-06-2008 01:43 PM

Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,672 Times in 2,358 Posts

Advertise Here

get a boat together now. hate to say it but i am sure you have more things to worry about then a collapse. get that vet homeloan now.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
You should read The Last Centurion by John Ringo
+1 Very good read about exactly what you are talking about.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Firefighter 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by infntryman86 View Post
So here is the issue i am facing i am deploying soon to afghanistan with the euro falling with the dollar soon to follow. I have been planning with fellow soldiers what we can do if the economy collapses and the US Gov't cant bring us home.
So far we got bringing gold with us one ounce each to buy our way home.
but that is pretty much it.
You will need a map and a compass. Plenty of ammo. Try to get to a base on the coast for a ride on a Navy ship. Have ID ready. Good luck this has been weighing heavy on my mind for months. Our service members will be stranded.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Prepared

I do think that it would be a grave situation for the military to leave personell behind. But bases have been over run and bad things can happen quick. I think that a plan to get home is a good idea. If for nothing else it would relive some of the bordeom and be a great excercise in prepping! Than being said.....

I had a Gunny in a survival school I attended that said something that has aways stuck with me. " First and formost-Survival is a state of mind more than anything. You must have the will to survive over everything else. With out the will to survive you are already lost.

Second-You must look at what you DO have and CAN do NOT what you DON'T have and CAN'T do."

You can be prepared all you want but the ultimate prep is knowledge. Knowledge of your surroundings will be a big priorty. What is where and how can you get it. This includes getting in touch with the local wheel and deal flim flam artist that every base has. Information will be a key player in how you begin you journey home. Making contacts with key personel ALWAYS comes in handy no matter what. The Generals may give the orders but the OFFICE POUGE carries them out. Find "Radar" and be his best friend. Learn every thing you can. The more intelligence you have on the area the better chance you have of making it home in either case.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
So here is the issue i am facing i am deploying soon to afghanistan with the euro falling with the dollar soon to follow. I have been planning with fellow soldiers what we can do if the economy collapses and the US Gov't cant bring us home.
I changed my mind. Don't deploy. Go AWOL. If you are a Sergeant at the moment, you are not currently qualified to take care of your men. With your "save my own skin" attitude, I don't need you deploying anywhere because you will not be an asset, you will be a liability. Just so you understand, I was an Infantry Squad Leader in the 82nd and a veteran of OIF 1 as well as 2 OEF deployments.

So either quit sniveling and do your job or quit now and go AWOL.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,153 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat82 View Post
I changed my mind. Don't deploy. Go AWOL. If you are a Sergeant at the moment, you are not currently qualified to take care of your men. With your "save my own skin" attitude, I don't need you deploying anywhere because you will not be an asset, you will be a liability. Just so you understand, I was an Infantry Squad Leader in the 82nd and a veteran of OIF 1 as well as 2 OEF deployments.

My sentiments exactly.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,214 Times in 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat82 View Post

Hey man I was in the 82nd during OIF 1 as well.
Went to the 173rd after that.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 PM

Reservists/Guard ALWAYS get screwed when it comes to gear cuts. You won't be left behind though. You will get the crappy leftovers and will have to scrounge around for things you want but when your time is up, you'll be on a plane home. Rest easy on that one. You have enough to worry about.
The Following User Says Thank You to seabee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
Reservists/Guard ALWAYS get screwed when it comes to gear cuts. You won't be left behind though. You will get the crappy leftovers and will have to scrounge around for things you want but when your time is up, you'll be on a plane home. Rest easy on that one. You have enough to worry about.
He ain't reserves or NG. He's 101st Airborne, one of the most revered, and best equipped, units in the entire US Army.
the 101st, along with the 82nd, and 173rd Abn BDE are generally considered the best fighting units the US Army has, and they get all of the latest and best gear.
Don't get me wrong, the 1st ID and the 3rd ID have excellent reputations as well, but aren't used in Afghanistan as much as their capabilities were more suited to Iraq, but they are top of the line units as well.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,541 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Deploying to a warzone and all you can think about is the Euro?

lol sorry if i see some humor.

Is there data from US military deployments in 1929-1931?

edit: if survival is your goal, you picked the wrong career!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,940 Times in 8,892 Posts

I had a different SHTF happen to me when I was deployed to Afghanistan, it showed up as divorce papers. My then wife of 6 years who was also active duty filed while I was gone and I got served in country by mail.

I signed the paperwork and sent it back to her, didn't speak to her again for several years after that. But it wrecked my world and made me dangerous to be around because I didn't really care if I died or not so I took a lot of unecessary risks that tour.

My advice is make a plan with your squad/platoon or whatever group you feel comfortable with and keep your eyes and ears open. You cannot cover every possible contigency but you maintain your situational awareness.

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"

Old 06-10-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benajah View Post
He ain't reserves or NG. He's 101st Airborne, one of the most revered, and best equipped, units in the entire US Army.
the 101st, along with the 82nd, and 173rd Abn BDE are generally considered the best fighting units the US Army has, and they get all of the latest and best gear.
Don't get me wrong, the 1st ID and the 3rd ID have excellent reputations as well, but aren't used in Afghanistan as much as their capabilities were more suited to Iraq, but they are top of the line units as well.
Hadn't read that part. If that's the case he has no worries about being left behind.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Hunter

This guy is a sergeant, in charge of between 3 and 10 guys. I'm glad I'm not one of his soldiers. He's more concerned about himself than his men. That's a big deal when I was in, enough to get a man severely looked down upon.
There is no me, there is only us, our unit. Our team.
You want to be an individual?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 AM
hunter-gatherer

not much advice to give here, the best could be its to don't go there , if you are there already ,look in history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Anglo-Afghan_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Anglo-Afghan_War

look section further readings, find books writen by people that already have experienced it, gather all possible information about anglo-afghan war survivors, hope for the best prepare for the worst, hope that will help you
what history tels us about anglo-afghan wars: first war lost, second war lost , third, current war lost (?)
"The British denied that they were invading Afghanistan, instead claiming they were merely supporting its legitimate Shuja government "against foreign interference and factious opposition". Looks like news from bbc, just its writen in 1838
200 years of afghan war and its still going on, i read some where that those that don't know they history are forced to repeat it, how true it is, even in this so called modern information age

Afghanistan: Graveyard of Empires
http://youtu.be/EhT-yj2kbhQ
The Following User Says Thank You to monobozo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,274 Times in 480 Posts

This sounds a bit like a fantasy situation. If things deteriorate so bad that you're not being airlifted out, then I would think the situation is so bad, it doesn't matter where you go anyway...

I DO see the problems associated with being deployed if the SHTF, having been deployed to Afghanistan (either deploying, serving, or redeploying) every year from 2003 to 2009. But as others have already mentioned, you need to focus on your job/function while you're down there, not worry about whether or not TEOTWAWKI is coming.

Just for "fun" though, as a thought experiment:
There is so many potential problems associated with getting out of Afghanistan and back to the west, that I don't know where to begin.

Personally, I would NOT go through Pakistan, even if it is a shorter distance to the coast, and possible seatravel away from the region, UNLESS there was some sort of organized evacuation with the understanding of the Pakistani government. But that is not what we're assuming here, to be honest.
The FATA/Baluchistan areas are waaaay too hostile, imho.

Going through Iran is a non-starter, I guess we can safely assume that no matter what global catastrophe have occurred, no ISAF/OEF-units will be very popular in that country.

I'd take my chances going north, through one of two routes:
First possible route is through Tajikistan-Kyrgyzstan-Kazakhstan. While not necessarily western-style democracies, these nations have/have had NATO-bases on their soil, and might be an easier, more safe route than others. But be prepared to negotiate locally, and possibly paying for passage, with local power-figures. Corruption is a problem in these countries.

Second possibility is through Turkmenistan-Kazakhstan. Much the same can be said about this option, as the first.

Both of these lead to Russia, more or less, so if the incident is war-related with Russia, these two are not gonna end well either. If the catastrophe is not a war with Russia, I'd rather take my chances with Russians, than many others in the region. Gaining access to Russia through the Saratov-Orenburg region might be an option, and something that US-Russian government might be able to sort out. They DO talk together you know.
Entering that area without gaining permission is not gonna end well though, as many of Russia's strategic nuclear forces have bases in the area, and security (and amount of hi-order troops) is high.

Third option, and almost certainly the best, is going through Turkmenistan, then getting boat-transportation over the Caspian sea, and into Azerbaijan. From there going through Armenia, and into Turkey. Azerbaijan is part of NATO PfP program, and would be easier than most of the other options really. Armenia is not equally easy, but still better than Iran, and shorter route to get into what definitely is a friendly nation, Turkey.

Going by boat over the Caspian sea, I would definitely check my navigation, and avoid hitting land in Dagestan...too much crap going on there. The Nagorno-Karabakh region in Azerbaijan is also an area to avoid for western troops I suspect.

No matter what option, I suspect some money/barter would have to change hand at some point, fighting your way through the region will be...troublesome...

Right, fun experiment...let's hope that NEVER becomes necessary
Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote:
That wouldn't happen, they'd need the forces back in the US for obvious reasons, and they'd bring them back ASAP. If you want a backup plananyway, go with your unit to one of the foreign forces and join their route out. If you're in the North, there's a whole bunch of Euro forces up there. If you're in the South go to the UK forces. Getting to their bases is quite feasible. The Euro shouldn't be a concern for you, there's no way it would have that kind of effect on the US. Even if the Dollar went down they could still bring you out!

If things are that bad, you don't need to buy anything. There's a whole bunch of you armed to the teeth, just borrow what you need at gunpoint from the A'stanis.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Having spent 2008 and 2009 there, I am not sure that one ounce will be enough to bring you back half way around the world.
That being said, its good that you are planning ahead.
If things were going south, I would hope it wouldn't happen so fast that our people were caught in that 10th century hell-hole.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 22,018 Times in 7,992 Posts

I must have missed it. Where exactly did he say he was only worrying about saving his skin? From what I have read, its his unit that has been talking about it.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Rational Being

Thanked 5,312 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
I had a different SHTF happen to me when I was deployed to Afghanistan, it showed up as divorce papers. My then wife of 6 years who was also active duty filed while I was gone and I got served in country by mail.

I signed the paperwork and sent it back to her, didn't speak to her again for several years after that. But it wrecked my world and made me dangerous to be around because I didn't really care if I died or not so I took a lot of unecessary risks that tour.

My advice is make a plan with your squad/platoon or whatever group you feel comfortable with and keep your eyes and ears open. You cannot cover every possible contigency but you maintain your situational awareness.
That is horrible, Shane. I'm so sorry to hear it. My husband and I had a rough patch the first time he went over to Iraq. The distance is hard, especially if there was unfinished business to begin with.

My husband just got done with his two month training and is in Afghanistan now. I've been searching this forum for information on it, but this thread and one other were all I really found. He's a contractor. Not sure what difference that makes, if any. Former Marine, honorable discharge for a medical condition.

I don't even know what the conditions are over there. We don't have a tv, and I don't get the paper. I stopped watching and reading main stream media the first time he went over because it just stressed me out too much.

I don't think anyone has actually said this yet, but thank you all for your service. I do sleep better knowing that he's surrounded by (hopefully!) competent soldiers.

I have had the same worry, too, about something major happening and him being stranded over there. I already feel guilty and scared that he's there in the first place. If something happened to him, I don't know what I'd do.