Most important farm animal? - Page 12 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On George Orwell's Animal Farm Preface That Was Removed - Written For Western Press blackkitty General Discussion 29 07-27-2014 02:12 PM
"Animal Farm" by George Orwell Pure Lambskin Books, Movies & Stories 6 06-04-2013 12:59 AM
"Animal Farm" by George Orwell Pure Lambskin Books, Movies & Stories 6 05-27-2013 07:46 AM
Victorian Farm , Edwardian Farm & River Cottage Serien Gullars Skandinaviske 16 02-12-2012 09:03 AM
Farm Family in Ohio moving to new farm-who wants the old one? wellspring New Member Introduction 32 01-25-2012 04:17 PM
Just an important legal note from another forum I frequent - important CondoPrepper Site Information & Suggestion Box 0 04-03-2011 01:12 PM
BBC Edwardian Farm , continue of Victorian Farm! Gullars Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 23 02-11-2011 11:13 AM
Well Written/Animal Farm 2.0 ilikerice Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 08-04-2009 05:54 PM
Question - 5 most important tools on the farm Josiah922 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 12-05-2008 12:09 PM

View Poll Results: Most important farm animal?
Cow 42 9.01%
Horse 14 3.00%
Goat 49 10.52%
Pig 16 3.43%
Chicken 293 62.88%
Rabbit 15 3.22%
Fish 1 0.21%
Sheep 11 2.36%
Emu 3 0.64%
Other 22 4.72%
Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2018, 05:32 PM

Advertise Here

Muscovy ducks are our livestock of choice, right now. Great eggs from the ducks, lots of red meat on the drakes, lots of nutrient rich water to use on the fruit trees. They hatch out ducklings reliably on their own (started sitting in Jan this year), and do a good job of taking care of the little ones with no special need for extra heat or shelter.

This is our second year with them and it has been a big learning curve, but they are keepers for sure. They take our hot summers and still love a bath in freezing winter temps.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Don't mind me...

Location: Somewhere, everywhere, inside and outside the confines.

I'd say Dogs, Turkey and Goats
Dogs, big hard headed primitive dogs: Malamutes, Akitas, Greenland Dogs and the like. true working breeds that can fend for themselves if left in the wild with coyotes and bears. If you don't get too attached skin them for that glorious fur.
Turkey's seem to do a better job taking care of themselves while free range than Chickens do. They face less predation and even intimidate some humans.
Goats are Goats! They will do most physical work a dog will just slower and they won't scare wildlife. meat, fur or fur-off skin, dairy.

Coming from a family that has had cattle since the earliest records of them being in America I say a big NO to cattle! Yaks, maybe I don't have enough experience with them...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minimotos95 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 04:46 PM

skimmed this but didn't see geese mentioned, they are very good guard dogs and you can get eggs, feathers and meat from them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shdwlkr For This Useful Post:

Old 07-14-2018, 05:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
While I wouldnt have voted for it as number 1, one/two animals I never see mentioned here for survival or prepping are llamas/alpacas.

They are low maint, dont require alot of food, can be used for packing, but especially, provide valuable fibers.
Llamas also protect against coyotes and other vermin. They will protect your goats and chickens. On an establish farm they can replace guard dogs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
Llamas also protect against coyotes and other vermin. They will protect your goats and chickens. On an establish farm they can replace guard dogs.
Dogs not only protect your livestock, but they will run smaller critters like coons and possums out your gardens and orchards. I would not care to have llamas roaming around in such places where I grow food.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,359 Times in 2,669 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I couldn't decide which animal is more valuable. They all have their uses.

My current menagerie includes a cat (mouse hunter); dogs ("alarm" system, and usually coyote deterrent); horses (transportation and manure for fertilizer...LOTS of manure/fertilizer ); goats (milk/dairy products, meat, hides, and again, manure/fertilizer); cow (milk/dairy products, meat, leather, and manure/fertilizer); chickens (eggs, meat, feathers, manure/fertilizer) turkeys (meat and feathers) and ducks (eggs, meat, feathers, down, manure/fertilizer), and BEES (pollination of food plants, wax, honey)

Eventually we plan on adding swine (meat, lard, pigskin), sheep (wool/fiber, meat, and milk for certain cheeses), and geese (another "alarm system", meat, and eggs.)
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 12:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,792 Posts

We have a zoo here. Guard llamas protect the sheep, goats and Emu in the fields. that keeps vermin away from the barn and house. It would be a toss up between chickens and goats. Chickens would get the nod as one can eat a chicken in a couple of days eliminating the storage issue. Goat need to be processed and the meat stored for long term or at least a few weeks.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 AM

In my humble opinion a good watch dog is the most important followed by hardy free range hens . The dog warns me of ANY intruders and the hens eat ALL the insect pest and keep me and the dog fed .
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,200 Times in 460 Posts

1. - Horse, 2. - Hog, 3. - Fat-Tailed Sheep