Stop.....Step away from the Tillers - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepare My Life Planner up to 35% Off, Step-by-step emergency preparedness plan JC Refuge Safecastle 0 03-16-2015 11:57 PM
make a phone camera to scope mount step-by-step walkthru keithm DIY - Do It Yourself 15 01-09-2015 08:58 PM
Home Made Gun Camo Project step-by-step walk thru keithm Firearms General Discussion 13 02-14-2014 11:49 PM
Amaze Your Friends With This EASY DIY European Mount: Step By Step Directions AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-02-2014 12:30 PM
Step 1: Shoot Buck. Step 2: Get Organized. Step 3: Buck Attacks Dead Buck. AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 10-14-2013 06:04 PM
Magazine capacity bans are a step by step plan for a backdoor semi auto ban. thelaststand Firearms General Discussion 23 05-20-2013 07:57 AM
Excellent Step by step printout for nuclear survival... ifly106 Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 2 04-08-2013 04:20 AM
Primitive Sod / adobe shelter construction - Heavy pictures - step by step instructi Von Helman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 03-30-2011 09:40 PM
Easy Way - Step by Step to proof PLANET X (NIBIRU) Using Your Phone Camera !! Bosco Warden Controversial News and Alternative Politics 46 03-15-2011 05:04 PM
Tillers and even cheaper tillers kturnerga Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 08-04-2010 09:00 PM

Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

Advertise Here

If it's the 750cc rear tined I bought it last year.

GET IT!

Great tiller. We have some HARD pack earth here, had to actually get part of the land broken with a tractor, but where the edge is, I was able to cut into the nasty hard pack mud never been dug into earth with it.

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,446 Times in 2,595 Posts

I think I'm going to do it..if it's still there. I'd feel better knowing it's sitting collecting dust this year rather then thinking about using my mattock and shovel next year when I have to plant for survival and it's not available.

Anyway, going back to what Prag...said, Why wouldn't I utilize the land within spitting distance of my house post SHTF? It would be my plan to use it, whether the owners are alive or not. My BOL is my house. I do not have the advantage of a BOL with land to raise crops nor do I live in the "sticks". I live 60 miles from Pittsburgh, 50 miles from Erie, 20 miles from Youngstown, OH... in a small town (2000 people) and I'm on the edge of it. Originally being from NYC I would call this the sticks but I am still "in town". Within a 1/4 mile of my house it opens up to farmland but I figure it's out of my range to accurately hit a target with my 308.
The Following User Says Thank You to PA_Robert For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM

no til methods protect the soil alot more actually preventing erosion and runoff most organic farms practice it now

and would a SHTF scenario kinda force you into organic farming?...

Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
".....ya think?"

Could I buy a tiller for my Kubota tractor "L4400" cheaper or about the same price as what a large walk-behind rear tine tiller would cost?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolexguy View Post
no til methods protect the soil alot more actually preventing erosion and runoff most organic farms practice it now

and would a SHTF scenario kinda force you into organic farming?...
Sometime you must till or nothing will grow in the spot.

Erosion and runoff happens when you do not rotate crops depleting the top soil. By tilling the soil with a compost you are actually building a better top soil.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,870 Times in 1,705 Posts

I said don't plan on it. Planning on being able to use something you don't own is bad planning.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Survivor

Prag,

Why is it bad planning? Two scenerios:

#1-neighbors who have the property are dead..They didn't last the first few months of post SHTF..therefore their property is available

#2-They are preppers and survived....I think they would be willing to turn their yards/lawns into productive fields?

What is your situation? in town/city, live on a farm, live in the woods, etc?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Stargazer Extraordinaire

Thanked 1,034 Times in 502 Posts

Yep, what 2Dogs said.

All I have is a big front tine and it's a workout (understatement), especially if you happen upon a big root.

Rick
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Target Shooter

As long as you don't have any big rocks, and have the money, buy the tiller.

I have rocks so I have been slowly chopping the soil and picking out the rocks. A tiller will then follow.

But I think I'll get a tiller for the tractor. A small garden tractor and tiller would make quick work of an acre.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,860 Times in 1,141 Posts

Get the tiller, it'll save you a lot of labor over the hand tool methods of gardening but have the hand tools available if need be. If shtf there are 2 gas powered tools that will save a great deal of time and labor and will produce much needed supplies and those are a tiller and a chainsaw. Shtf these are the things stored gas is best used for, not a generator in my opinion. It's easy to set yourself up to live without electricty but you can get a lot more food and firewood with these 2 items than you can by hand. Also every one who keeps saying don't get it because shtf there won't be gas are overlooking the most likely shtf scenario of them all in my opinion and that's the slow economic burn we have starting right now. In that case gas while expensive will be available to use in your tiller and your tiller will help raise enough food that you otherwise won't be able to afford or that will be in short supply.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Survivor

I pulled the trigger....getting it tomorrow. and yes rear tine 18" wide,

A couple years ago,I did a small garden (20'x20') with a front tine and it kicked the shyte out of me.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post
I pulled the trigger....getting it tomorrow. and yes rear tine 18" wide,

A couple years ago,I did a small garden (20'x20') with a front tine and it kicked the shyte out of me.
It's a great tiller.

Make sure that the grass is cut as short as possible before starting out.

If you have a hard pack, you might want to get a "lip" started for the tiller to dig into.

Start with the shallowest cut. It'll take a few passes but once you get through the grass, it will just eat the dirt.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,328 Posts

An old Allis Chalmers big 10 and a chisel plow is better than a tiller or a moldboard if you've got loamy soil. If your soil is kinda sandy a tiller is great.