Canned Meat Reviews - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you guys think about canned meat? Kommandeer Food and water 60 06-12-2015 12:38 AM
Question about canned meat Floridian Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 16 06-11-2015 11:51 PM
fat in canned meat London808 Food and water 14 10-20-2014 11:36 PM
Best canned meat? Outraged Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 04-01-2013 10:56 AM
Top #1 best canned meat benson56 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 118 04-01-2013 10:23 AM
Pressure canned meat peak_oil Food and water 6 09-03-2011 07:39 PM
About.com - Canned meat recipes newberrie Recipes 0 08-03-2010 04:25 PM
Canned Meat kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 01-29-2010 08:43 AM
Canned meat kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 12-23-2009 11:56 AM
canned meat Paradox Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 04-29-2008 06:14 AM

Old 01-07-2012, 01:23 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,046 Posts

Advertise Here

Looks edible, actually not bad at all.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Target Shooter

I have some of their hamburger and it is really good. Just about what you would get if you fried it up from raw. I also got the 5 year if stored in a pantry reply when I asked. They are a small family outfit and I have had really good service from them. I need to order another case. I am VERY pleased with their product and service!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faif2d For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,200 Times in 657 Posts

I think Costco's canned tuna beats the heck out of Starkist et al. We drained all of the liquid off three brands including Costco and Costco was cheapest per ounce of actual fish, and the chunks were more like actual fish than gruel.

Starkist ingredient list says "natural flavors." I know one of them is garlic because I'm allergic to it, lol. Shocked me. Ate it, got upset stomach, pulled the can out of the garbage and...

If their fish is so bad they have to flavor it, they can keep it.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Adapter For This Useful Post:

Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Reach-out Kill enemy

THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA.....Thanks for starting it and adding your review
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsd4083 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,645 Times in 2,189 Posts

How come you didn't just add review to one of the longer canned meat threads and made it a sticky?
The Following User Says Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 31,825 Times in 12,094 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
How come you didn't just add review to one of the longer canned meat threads and made it a sticky?
Got tired of searching for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 12,842 Times in 4,711 Posts
Default chef boyardee count?

I'm not sure if whats in the cans legally constitute beef, i do know the taste is consistant and the shelf life ranges from a year to three years if stored in a cool place. And the taste is o.k. in a pinch, but you would get tired of it eating it on a regular basis. Therefore I think it would be a good to fair short term storage food entree. down in the south it can cost up to $1.99 a can (16oz) but since I moved up north I have found it as cheap as 89 cents a can. as for pure beef alone you really can't beat just getting a dehydrator and slicing up some and making it up yourself. My wife loves "sos" which of course is dried beef with a cream and flour gravy over fresh made bread toasted. damn good and works out to be about .19 cents for a 9 inch plate full steaming hot.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,884 Times in 783 Posts

anyone ever tried those canned sausages in the dollar store? are they any good?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,759 Posts

I just picked up canned diced turkey (white and dark meat) for $1 each at Menard's, and the expiration date is three years out. Going to see how that turns out in a sandwich.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
All Murican!!

i have bought several cans of the Libbies caned beef in gravy. Half the time there is only half the meat and the rest is REALLY REALY saly gravy. Its tasts good over rice but it rather expensive for the 6-8oz of meat you pay 5$ for. I prefer the canned chicken and canned hams. Also powderd chicken and beef gravy pouches. Mixed it up and pour over rice and beans.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bald Eagle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 05:51 AM

I highly recommend the little cans of "potted meat product". I onece was broke and hungry and I found a can of it that was 3-4 years past its best buy date. I opened the can and gave it a sniff. Smell was fine. So... I gave it a taste, tasted damn good. Didn't get me sick or nothing. The stuff is made outa meat scraps, fat and tripe. Try it fried with potatoes or on bread like deviled ham. I was edgejamakated in the culinary arts and sciences. You probably could eat an opened can of ham that has been sitting out at room temp for 24 hours with no ill effects. I've done it. I have an off the grid cabin and can't make enough money these days to properly take care of myself. I would say the real issue would be to do some research on eating a lot of food that is high in sodium nitrite. I heard it's bad on a mans prostrate.

Last edited by jfountain2; 01-09-2012 at 07:58 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mountainmandan12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 AM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,016 Times in 3,649 Posts

I have bought and used Costco's canned chicken breast and canned beef products for a few years.

I will resort to them if I really want to make something with meat in it (usually in the crock pot) and I am not going to the store soon.

Both are good enough. Not as good as frozen or fresh, but as good as any meats in canned soup/stews.

The meat in the can itself at opening is not particularly appetizing because of the water and the congealed grease, but I pour that off.

Yes, it pretty much falls apart like shredded meat, which is pretty much how far I cook my meat in the crock pot anyway.

As for "stew fixings" - most beef stews in cans are heavy on the potatoes and light on other veggies because potatoes are cheap and they take up a lot of space. So mostly I don't use them except for a bit of flavoring.

The way I make stews/soups is to put a can of the desired soup/stew (I like Progressive low sodium Chicken Gumbo) in the crock pot, then add individual cans of veggies, then add a little more meat and spices. Then I let it cook. I often add rice or rice/lentil mix too. Maybe some dried split peas.

Generally the commercial canned soup/stew will be about one fifth to one tenth the volume of whatever I am making.

On the trail I substitute jerky for canned meat - it softens up and gives me something to chew on.

A little meat goes a long ways. The veggies are more important. We eat way too much protein anyway. Stretch out that meat by eating less of it and use the veggies for your calories, carbs, vitamins and other protein.

I really really like meat (mmmm! seared mammal flesh! yummmy!), but I could easily cut back to about one tenth of what I would eat and still be fine diet wise.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 42,824 Times in 14,057 Posts

Now JR, are you telling me a nice Coon-ass like your self didn't use ANY "special" seasoning???
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPALUV View Post
Now JR, are you telling me a nice Coon-ass like your self didn't use ANY "special" seasoning???
Nope, no Zatarians, no Tony's, no Tiger Dust, no Crystal's, no Louisiana, no Tabasco, no Slap ya moma, no salt and no pepper.... wanted to see how it tastes without the good stuff.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Road Trip!!!

I tried the Keystone Beef. It was good, but in a soup or stew it was very long cuts and stringy. It was tender but with the stands being so long I was afraid the younger mouths in the family might choke on it.

I preferred a brand in a smaller can I picked up at Walmart. Cant think of the brand right now. Smaller chunks that stayed together and didnt get stringy. It was moere expensive though.

BIH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigislandhikers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 AM

I like that potted meat and soda crackers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghost_23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Climate change advocate

Thanked 28,415 Times in 10,118 Posts
Default Beachcliff sardines in soybean oil trial.

I picked up some Beach Cliff sardines at Wallyworld for a $1 each the other day and decided to give it a taste test today for my lunch. The can is not big and it had only 3 (large) sardines in it. It says it is a product of Canada. I had to go online to get the nutritional information for it. http://www.bumblebee.com/products/15...in-soybean-oil

I had it like I usually eat my sardines, between two slices of whole wheat bread with mayonnaise. I had to salt it some since the flavor of the fish was rather bland. My opinion; not bad for the price of a buck. Certainly not King Oscar sardine quality but it is a caned meat I will not mind having as a emergency supply. I noticed the use by date was 2016 which is not bad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 42,824 Times in 14,057 Posts

Matt, this is just an aside, but Bumble Bee is a bad name i this house. I had several friends who worked at the plant "down da road" in the bayou. Leadership came in last year to see how they did so well and then after shut the plant and moved operations to Asia. Just sayin'.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Matt, this is just an aside, but Bumble Bee is a bad name i this house. I had several friends who worked at the plant "down da road" in the bayou. Leadership came in last year to see how they did so well and then after shut the plant and moved operations to Asia. Just sayin'.

Note to self: Never buy Bumble Bee Products again.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Climate change advocate

Thanked 28,415 Times in 10,118 Posts

Quote:
Sorry for your friends. Problem is all these conglomerates have moved somewhere and caused people to lose jobs. I don't think the fish are a problem though since they say their from Canada. I used to warn people about the dangers of Free Trade back when Bush Sr. touted it, but it is a lost cause. Now I just buy whatever fits the budget.

Though I did think it was interesting the last shirts I bought said they were made in Russia.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post: