Year End Report about what happened last summer on my BOL ( very pic heavy ) - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 08:33 PM
What I did on my summer vacation... (pic heavy) RandiTS DIY - Do It Yourself 34 09-30-2013 05:24 PM
A summer update (Image Heavy) Robert_Burns Knives, Swords & Axes 3 08-31-2013 11:03 PM
Year End Report about what happened last summer on my BOL Mtnman Mike Reviews and questions 15 04-16-2012 01:05 AM
Year without a Summer Emerald Eyes Manmade and Natural Disasters 54 09-21-2011 09:04 AM
A Societal Collapse Lesson from History: The Year without Summer LiamFisher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 09-13-2011 10:12 PM
Sambo's garden, Summer 2010/11. (pic heavy!) SamboRoberts Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 04-07-2011 05:53 AM
What happened the year you were born? speedofl33t General Discussion 45 03-28-2011 03:32 AM
Report: N.Y. Men Under Heavy Surveillance in Terror Probe Newsfeed General Discussion 0 10-01-2009 11:00 AM
Oil to REMAIN at 5 Year low for the Summer MP76 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 11 04-26-2009 03:17 PM

Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,988 Times in 4,828 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-hunter View Post
I don't think you're bashing your guests, I don't intend to knock them either.
But, you see what happens when more individuals are added to the mix.
For some reason you became a slave to one of your guests.

Will you re-consider this idea next year?
I have and will re-consider it even more.

I don't think I was really a slave but I did try to please both of the 25 year old guys who wanted to camp, work and live on my mtn place.
Glen decided he liked Encampment, the Bighorn Motel and the Mangy Moose saloon / bar and grill much better than my "primitive messy..." retreat.

And Steve did help me quite a bit although I let him mostly do whatever he wanted to do, which was hike and fish a lot. And there is an almost infinite amount of places to hike, fish and camp up there. I got angry at least a couple times at both of them, which I hate to get angry and even yell. I bet some others would have yelled everyday or kicked them out after only a few days.
But I was around them from June 1st to July 30th. Although Glen was in Encampment most of that time.

I do Not hate either of them and actually glad they did come out to at least see and experience what they did. They could have experienced much much more but I guess everyone is different, maybe me most of all.

I would Like to help others but after last summer I am not sure if I can trust many if any. There is One more young guy who is in college now and plans to camp, work and live on my mtn place during the summer of 2012. I have been emailing him for about 2 years now and hope to know him better. I hope and think he will work out much better than any others in the past.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM
old hand

Thanked 6,384 Times in 3,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
I have and will re-consider it even more.

I don't think I was really a slave but I did try to please both of the 25 year old guys who wanted to camp, work and live on my mtn place.
Glen decided he liked Encampment, the Bighorn Motel and the Mangy Moose saloon / bar and grill much better than my "primitive messy..." retreat.

And Steve did help me quite a bit although I let him mostly do whatever he wanted to do, which was hike and fish a lot. And there is an almost infinite amount of places to hike, fish and camp up there.
It sounds like each got what they really wanted. You and I agree on OPSEC, but still I'm sure you weren't really comfortable with the mouthpiece chattin' it up with the locals about your place.

Anyway, let others tag along if you/they wish ... but you've got to stay on your A game.

Mike, did you think of throwing the load off your truck before you made the ill fated trip back to town?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-hunter View Post
It sounds like each got what they really wanted. You and I agree on OPSEC, but still I'm sure you weren't really comfortable with the mouthpiece chattin' it up with the locals about your place.

Anyway, let others tag along if you/they wish ... but you've got to stay on your A game.

Mike, did you think of throwing the load off your truck before you made the ill fated trip back to town?
About OPSEC is that I am more concerned about local people within fifty miles of my BOL than anyone who might see my pics etc. on the net.
I had one person who did try to break into my bunker a couple years ago and I think it was probably a neighbor who owns a cabin within a mile or two. Although not real sure exactly who, I do have my suspicions.

I should probably have unloaded that heavy load and Steve and Glen even did have much of it unloaded when they were trying to find food etc. for their camp. That is the camp with the pic of the hanging clothes and not the campsite on my mtn land.
Then they and I loaded the truck back up except for some of the food they kept.
I also had to hike two miles back to this camp near Beaver Creek crossing it twice more Alone. I hiked this when I went back up alone in late June right after the state finally opened the locked gate after plowing the road open.

I hiked down the 4x4 road this time from the state highway, crossed cold Beaver Creek, picked up my green Coleman cooler which was at the camp and loaded it. Although I had to leave a few things but nothing too valuable. Then I carried, alone, the heavy Coleman cooler back again across cold Beaver Creek then back up about 2 miles to where I had my truck parked by the state highway. Then I drove to the beginning of my private road and camped until the 12 foot snow drift was plowed open by the neighbor with the bobcat loader on Sat. July 2nd, 2011.

But If I would have unloaded a lot of the heavy load I think the truck still would have gotten stuck and it would have been almost impossible to go back up and get the stuff with the truck. I probably could have 2 or 3 weeks later but there were a lot of ATVers and even saw a dirt biker driving around even thru the camp and all over those 4x4 roads.

I am sure I could have done Many things differently last summer but as some say, it was a learning experience. I learned that I like being alone best. I did get Much more done after August first when I was alone and built the tuff shed etc. I also have some pics of the hole Steve and I dug. And many more pics I should post real soon. Hopefully fifty or so more new pics within a day or two.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Here are some more pics which are not perfectly organized but at least I finally got them up. I might even add some more whenever I get time to put them up.

My cousin who is almost 2 years older than me, took most of the rest of these pics. If I had known he was going to take so awful many pics of me I would have worn some camo clothing or at least one of my caps or hats.
My hair is real short since before I go up to my land I get a real short haircut almost shaved. Then I get another hair cut in Nov. or so although my beard grows faster.

These are taken pretty much in the order my cousin took them in mid July 2011.

Mike jumping over spring etc. >

Mike by spring >

The spring running down the mountain towards the private dirt road >

Mike getting water out of the spring >

Sometimes I use a bucket or pipe but for this pic just had a pan close. >

Standing behind the woodshed, which was damaged by heavy snow, near where I got the water in the previous pics >

The Big Berkey drip water filter which I usually use for drinking water, although when the snow is melting I don't have to filter the water if gotten near where it flows out of the ground >

Looking up at the camoflaged bunker. The front door is under the shed on the left >

Closer view of the camo shed and another small storage area on the left >

Cleaning up some near the back trap door >

Looking down onto the top of the back trap door of the bunker >

In case some missed this pic in the past this is a better pic of the back trap door showing 3 foot thick rock and concrete roof. Took 250 eighty pound bags of concrete mix to make the concrete roof. >

Other side of the bunker / storm shelter which faces away from the private dirt road and notice the 200 foot extension cords that run from the solar panels into the bunker >

Back side of the large wood shed that is also a storage shed. Notice the snowdrifts - this pic was taken on July 16, 2011.
Usually the snow is melted, even in the shade, by July 10th. >

Another angle showing snowdrifts and the bunker shed to the left and the woodshed on the right >

Below the solar panels is the hole that I have begun digging that will be for the partially underground cabin >
Hope to get that new cabin built by early Oct. 2012 >

Digging more but first I had to split the piece of sod that had fallen into the hole and then carry out the two pieces of sod >

Standing in front of the front black steel door with elk backbone hanging near door and with the sunglasses flipped up >

Inside the bunker getting ready to look out the porthole which has a view of the private dirt road about 150 feet down the mountain >

Standing near the solar panels that are on the tree stump >

Solar panels on top of tree stump seen in the distance >

View to the left of the solar panels on the sunny hillside >

More views up the mountain where there are quite a few dead, beetle killed pine trees which I will use to build the new partially underground cabin, hopefully next summer >

I will post a few more pics someday. ANY comments or Questions are welcome and I do eventually answer everyone.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up

My dad always taught me to never leave the pavement without a full set of chains that fit your tires! If its bad enough to slip in 4, chain the front. if that starts getting bad, turn around! Man's nature is to push the limits, so if you get stuck, the back chains are your backup. don't run with all four chained, cause if you get stuck, then you are is "duck soup". Also, he taught me that your guests are just that, guests. no matter what arrangements you've made, don't expect ANY help. if you don't count on help, you will be much more cheerful and calm, makin the whole thing easier. you wanted companions, any unless someone is making money, they aren't likely to help much. I've ruined friendships over this same type of situation, and the labor/assistance isn't worth losing friends, even ones you don't yet know real well.

up + for your thread bro, way to do the thing!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ditchrider For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Over the Evergreens

I am impressed, good sir!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Balloon'sGoin'Up For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,361 Times in 702 Posts

You need a couple griphoist hand winches with pulley blocks

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HT...ry_Tirfor1.htm

And some military landing mat cut into squires so the stack up in a nice bundle.
leave the mat hooks on and they lock together
Throw in some short chains with hooks

I worked a mine in the sierras year round for 5 years and i only had to walk to the mine and get the cat once.

I was running my F250 4x4 through snow that ran up to the bottom of my truck window and my truck had a lift kit.

this is a photo in town and that is a 6 foot chainlink fence

It was worse outside town
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Target Shooter

Great thread and pictures, Mike. I don't think I've commented on your threads before, but I've read and enjoyed them. I thought I should show some appreciation - I tend to forget that forums are a place for discussion, rather than just reading and leaving, so I often don't reply to things that I really should. Anyway, thanks for your threads and pictures - I always look forward to your posts and pictures of your beautiful mountain retreat.

Also, have you considered asking for payment in return for people staying on your land? At least that way you can be guaranteed to get something out of it (assuming you require up-front payment). If not, perhaps devise a work schedule with anyone who wants to visit - if you have a plan of what days work needs to be done on and what days are for rest (if any), then it makes it a lot easier to ask people to leave if they aren't working. I'd love to have an opportunity like that (if I could finally pay everything of, stop being a wage slave and find enough spare time!), so I'd happily sign a work agreement/contract saying that I agree to work X many days a week for X many hours in return for being allowed to stay there. It wouldn't change anything legally obviously, but to me signing something makes it seem more set in stone. Just a thought - I can't say I've done anywhere near as much as you, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Mtnman Mike, Thanks very much for this year end report and the photos and everything. Great Job! Wishing You the Best!
The Following User Says Thank You to kmatjhwy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux

Thanked 1,274 Times in 732 Posts

Great pictures and informative account of your summer. Good on you for your willingness to share your mountain with others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lark For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 02:20 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Here is the link to All of my albums which should not take too many minutes or hours to view, hopefully only the most interested will look since there are also a few more private pics shown in one or two albums > http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/ac9/MtnmanMike/

Great pics!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark View Post
Great pictures and informative account of your summer. Good on you for your willingness to share your mountain with others.
I think I would rather just share it with pics anymore. Next summer I might try to make more videos but like I have for the past 10 or so years I do take pics.
And while it was very interesting and the two guys did help me in some ways, Steve much more than Glen when Steve wasn't driving me nuts and it was interesting and a "learning experience." I learned I do best alone. Like I have most years up there since 1987.
Although the summer of 1999 I did have at least 10 people visit off and on but not more than 5 days.

I am messaging and emailing with at least 3 people now and one looks like the best one. Although if anyone does come up then I hope they don't expect too much, since I won't expect too much of them either.

The secret of any success I have had is the beautiful good mtn location. As I have tried to show in this and 6 other pic threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Also, have you considered asking for payment in return for people staying on your land? At least that way you can be guaranteed to get something out of it (assuming you require up-front payment). If not, perhaps devise a work schedule with anyone who wants to visit - if you have a plan of what days work needs to be done on and what days are for rest (if any), then it makes it a lot easier to ask people to leave if they aren't working. I'd love to have an opportunity like that (if I could finally pay everything off, stop being a wage slave and find enough spare time!), so I'd happily sign a work agreement/contract saying that I agree to work X many days a week for X many hours in return for being allowed to stay there. It wouldn't change anything legally obviously, but to me signing something makes it seem more set in stone. Just a thought - I can't say I've done anywhere near as much as you, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
I have considered it but I don't ask for any payment. If people wish to force money on me then I will gladly accept.

I do tell them, such as the two 25 year old guys last summer, that they had to furnish their own gear and food. Which they had even better gear than I had! Although I do still have stashed away in the steel drums, a 50 pound bag of pinto beans, much wheat, rice and some other things also.
I was hoping to open that stash up and at least start to use the beans and rice even some of the wheat but we had so much other food and Glen especially, ate mostly at the Mangy Moose saloon / bar and grill 12 miles down the mtn in the small town.

I don't like schedules etc. but maybe someday if I get more people we will be more organized.

I am no drill sergeant or even someone to boss others around. I might tell much more about all of that later also. I like to lead by example and if any have questions I do answer. Which Steve did ask sometimes but maybe should have asked me more so he would know more of what I wanted and needed done. I am sure I could have been a better "leader" but guess I give people too much freedom and leeway.

But anyone who thinks they would like to come up for a visit or even all summer then message or even email me. But after June 1st I will be much more difficult to contact since I will be off the net and by mid June hope to be on my mtn place.

much more later and even 25 or more pics hopefully on the top of page 4...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM

Lets get to page 4 for more pics then. =)

Thanks for the pics and info, it's a great read. I'm about to go find your older threads and read them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoominaga For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Trapper

Awesome pics of your bunker and beautiful wilderness retreat ....

Quote:
Here are some more pics which are not perfectly organized but at least I finally got them up. I might even add some more whenever I get time to put them up.

My cousin who is almost 2 years older than me, took most of the rest of these pics. If I had known he was going to take so awful many pics of me I would have worn some camo clothing or at least one of my caps or hats.
My hair is real short since before I go up to my land I get a real short haircut almost shaved. Then I get another hair cut in Nov. or so although my beard grows faster.

These are taken pretty much in the order my cousin took them in mid July 2011.

Mike jumping over spring etc. >

Mike by spring >

The spring running down the mountain towards the private dirt road >

Mike getting water out of the spring >

Sometimes I use a bucket or pipe but for this pic just had a pan close. >

Standing behind the woodshed, which was damaged by heavy snow, near where I got the water in the previous pics >

The Big Berkey drip water filter which I usually use for drinking water, although when the snow is melting I don't have to filter the water if gotten near where it flows out of the ground >

Looking up at the camoflaged bunker. The front door is under the shed on the left >

Closer view of the camo shed and another small storage area on the left >

Cleaning up some near the back trap door >

Looking down onto the top of the back trap door of the bunker >

In case some missed this pic in the past this is a better pic of the back trap door showing 3 foot thick rock and concrete roof. Took 250 eighty pound bags of concrete mix to make the concrete roof. >

Other side of the bunker / storm shelter which faces away from the private dirt road and notice the 200 foot extension cords that run from the solar panels into the bunker >

Back side of the large wood shed that is also a storage shed. Notice the snowdrifts - this pic was taken on July 16, 2011.
Usually the snow is melted, even in the shade, by July 10th. >

Another angle showing snowdrifts and the bunker shed to the left and the woodshed on the right >

Below the solar panels is the hole that I have begun digging that will be for the partially underground cabin >
Hope to get that new cabin built by early Oct. 2012 >

Digging more but first I had to split the piece of sod that had fallen into the hole and then carry out the two pieces of sod >

Standing in front of the front black steel door with elk backbone hanging near door and with the sunglasses flipped up >

Inside the bunker getting ready to look out the porthole which has a view of the private dirt road about 150 feet down the mountain >

Standing near the solar panels that are on the tree stump >

Solar panels on top of tree stump seen in the distance >

View to the left of the solar panels on the sunny hillside >

More views up the mountain where there are quite a few dead, beetle killed pine trees which I will use to build the new partially underground cabin, hopefully next summer >

I will post a few more pics someday. ANY comments or Questions are welcome and I do eventually answer everyone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vja4Him For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
You need a couple griphoist hand winches with pulley blocks

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HT...ry_Tirfor1.htm
Tirfor Recovery at Hawkstone - YouTube

And some military landing mat cut into squires so the stack up in a nice bundle.
leave the mat hooks on and they lock together
Throw in some short chains with hooks

I worked a mine in the sierras year round for 5 years and i only had to walk to the mine and get the cat once.

I was running my F250 4x4 through snow that ran up to the bottom of my truck window and my truck had a lift kit.
I have said that I would respond and answer all eventually. I probably won't respond to all of the posts though.

The one I just quoted in this post is interesting and I see augoldminer has a F250 truck also. Although I am sure newer and maybe better than my old 1988 truck.

I have never had too much trouble in snow with any 4x4's I have had. And I have had several since 1982.

I have only gotten stuck once where I was not able to get out by myself and that was in the mud hole as shown in post number one of this thread.

I should have had a good winch mounted on the front of the truck. But I have never needed one and I usually never drive my truck on rough muddy 4x4 roads. This was a unique situation last summer which I have tried and might try more to explain.

Lots of good advice though in this thread but most or all of it would cost me too much money.
I do Not plan to drive my truck on anymore 4x4 roads, except my driveway which is not much over 100 feet long. I do have chains for the 2 front tires and might tell more about that later.
I have only used the chains for snow, usually only when driving out of my mtn place in late Oct. or early Nov.

And I have driven in over 2 feet of powdery snow, sometimes over 3 feet. Even last year when I came out there was "only" a foot of snow but solid ice under the snow for most of the one mile out on the private road to the plowed state highway.
I had no trouble getting out and never have had any trouble when I had chains on just two tires even.

I do have 3 tow / logging chains which I mainly use to pull logs with my truck or ATV.
I did use the chains getting out of the mud.

And I also have a hand winch although it is only for 2,000 pounds and a couple come-a-longs / power pulls which are for 4,000 pounds. I did use a come-a-long to winch my ATV up to my tuff shed. This pic shows right after I got the ATV up to the tuff shed and maybe everyone can see the chain on the ground, to the left of the ATV >

I do not have the best or Most expensive equipment, gear etc. I do what I need to do and buy what I have to.
I hate being in debt and have not been in debt since I paid off my mtn land in 1990.
I saved up money to buy the truck shown in this pic thread, buying the well used although nice looking truck, in 2005.

It does not look as nice anymore since it has had some rough use. Using it as a work truck mainly and not going out of my way to abuse the truck.

I only work for money part of the year, mainly when in the city in the winter and the last 3 years have been less money made than most years.
I do make a little money working for neighbors although that has been much less over the past couple summers.

And working for one neighbor I only got paid with a 1990 ATV which was pretty good payment and was bartering. But being paid in dollars is probably best pre-SHTF.

So since 1999, I have had a choice of working full time in the city at a "good" job like most people do. Or working in the winter and then camping, working and Living like few ever live today in modern suciety.

I have chosen to work half the year living like most modern Americans from Nov. to June and then working for little or no money from mid June to Nov.
So I have choices to make and cannot afford the best, most expensive gear, supplies, winches etc. etc.

From mid June to Nov. on my mtn retreat I actually live pretty much like the S has already Hit the Fan. Having to improvise, use what is available, doing what I need and sometimes what I really want to do.

But mainly what I need and really want to do is Live on my mtn place. I refused to wait until I "retire" someday which I am not even eligible to get social security checks for about ten more years.

Here is what I have done, even though most people will not or cannot understand >
I bought a few acres of mountain land in 1987 in southern Wyoming, paid it off in 1990 and have been building a survival retreat ever since.

I have some sheds, a well stocked underground cabin - bunker - two springs, many trees etc. Hope I can move to my mountain retreat permanently someday but since 1999 I have spent every year from June to Nov. up there and the rest of the time in Greeley, Colorado.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Never Ever Give Up!

Thanked 1,783 Times in 623 Posts

Thanks for the updates and current pics!
The Following User Says Thank You to DB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
HANDY MAN

Thanked 1,533 Times in 640 Posts

Awesome thread MMM. As per usual! Hey man, I was trying to check out those videos you made and I'm being told they are "private"...?

Let me know if theres a password I need or something.

Looks to me that your retreat is becoming something of a resort with all the new structures on it! You getting soft on us Mike??? LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtyape For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyape View Post
Awesome thread MMM. As per usual! Hey man, I was trying to check out those videos you made and I'm being told they are "private"...?

Let me know if theres a password I need or something.

Looks to me that your retreat is becoming something of a resort with all the new structures on it! You getting soft on us Mike??? LOL
I doubt anyone would call it a resort. A survival retreat where people can learn, live and practice all kinds of survival if they are up to it but never a fancy resort.

I have always wanted a tuff shed but never wanted to spend many hundreds of dollars for one. Lucky the neighbor who has the cabin half a mile up the road did not want to repair that tuff shed after it had gotten sort of crushed with the deep snow of last winter.
He had 2 large posts holding up the roof but the terribly record breaking snowpack pushed the roof and the 2 posts down thru the floor.
There was two holes in the floor but fortunately I had two good sheets of wood to put over the holes and floor.
I also added more sheets of plywood to the roof and more trusses - just 2x4's across the ceiling of the roof.
In this pic people can see the log post in the back of the tuff shed which is a tree trunk that was only about 20 feet from the shed. I would have put more posts inside the shed but I had to fit the ATV inside also. And there are ten or so large boxes on the left and right sides, inside this shed, not seen in this pic. >

I think and hope that the roof and all the shed will withstand the heavy snowpack this next winter. Which I think it will especially since this winter is much more mild than last winter and I can see the snow depth here. > http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sn...ays=7&state=wy
That link is from a snow survey station that is half a mile up the mountain from my place.

I will check out the videos although the first main one should be seen even without a pass or log in. It is the longer 7 minute one. > http://survivalhq.net/index.php/topi...-of-my-videos/
Later I will probably post more links.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoominaga View Post
Lets get to page 4 for more pics then. =)

Thanks for the pics and info, it's a great read. I'm about to go find your older threads and read them.
Since not very many are posting and quite a few such as you Hoominaga, want to see all the pics soon, I am posting and in an hour or so will post probably the rest of the new pics on the top of page 4 where I hope it will be easier for some to find.

And here are some links to some of my pic threads although my homepage and a sticky thread in this wilderness should not be too difficult to find.

A long pic thread showing how I get to my BOL - retreat and what I do once there. Others also have posted pics of their retreats etc. in later pages >
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=96951

My BOL / cabin / retreat pic thread with more than 50 pics in the first 3 posts - posted over a year ago >
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=142692

Anyone can ask me anything and I will answer, eventually.

Some of you might like to read in the following link also which has my pic threads and videos in this online bunker > http://survivalhq.net/index.php/foru...al-discussion/
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

[QUOTE=ditchrider;3619672]My dad always taught me to never leave the pavement without a full set of chains that fit your tires! If its bad enough to slip in 4, chain the front. if that starts getting bad, turn around! Man's nature is to push the limits, so if you get stuck, the back chains are your backup. don't run with all four chained, cause if you get stuck, then you are is "duck soup". Also, he taught me that your guests are just that, guests. no matter what arrangements you've made, don't expect ANY help. if you don't count on help, you will be much more cheerful and calm, makin the whole thing easier. you wanted companions, any unless someone is making money, they aren't likely to help much. I've ruined friendships over this same type of situation, and the labor/assistance isn't worth losing friends, even ones you don't yet know real well.

QUOTE]

Thanks but I have chains for the front tires which are the only ones I have ever needed. And since they cost $150 for the set of 2 snow chains it might be a while before I would buy more. They are extra heavy duty and must weigh 30 or more pounds each.
I did try to put chains on but after the truck was stuck. I did barely get a chain on one tire but not on the side that was leaning into the mtnside and deeper in the mud. So the chains did not help that time.

I actually did not expect too much and did not even ask too much. I did offer to pay Steve one day after he helped me for a few hours when we were moving logs and slash but he declined and said that it was enough that I let him camp and be on my land.
I had also, furnished the vehicle, did all the driving and paid all of the gas - over $100 to fill my gas guzzling F-250 with the 460 engine. That was filling it at least 3 times from Greeley until we finally got onto my land about a month later, after camping in several places.

They also told me that they did want to help me around the BOL / retreat even helping me build a new cabin, which Steve did help me some digging the hole but the hole is still only half dug.

Here is a pic of the hole showing a large rock that will be difficult to remove. I was thinking of using a winch and / or come-a-long / powerpull to remove the rock. First I might have to split that rock which is about 6 feet wide by 12 or more feet long. Anyone who has more ideas on how to remove this rock please post them.
In the left corner is shown logs that are holding back dirt and rocks that I am removing from the hole. It will be a flat area where I could put a grill, chairs or whatever. I have also planted winter wheat on this flat area on the mtnside which it did come up and hope it will do well next summer.

Solar panel and hole that I am digging during the summer to build a new partially underground cabin >

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post: