Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blackswift sticks. 21 century defence canes Jaqhama Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 13 12-23-2014 04:29 PM
Planting CUT black raspberry canes? THE_HUNTERIAM Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 05-05-2014 01:44 PM
walking sticks . suthincomfort DIY - Do It Yourself 34 07-30-2012 02:34 PM
Walking Sticks jackalope10mm Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 51 01-16-2012 03:56 AM
Walking Sticks (bug) PunisherWeaponSystem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 01-04-2012 09:36 AM
What have you done to your hiking/walking sticks? J.McDonald Knives Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 24 05-24-2010 10:48 AM
staves/walking sticks AlchemicRage Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 42 12-31-2009 01:14 PM
Walking sticks...with bite G.I.JOE Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 24 10-09-2009 11:27 AM

Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Poppin' mags

Thanked 1,951 Times in 943 Posts

Advertise Here

The OP's argument about canes assumes the user is untrained. Ultimately, the actual weapon is far less important than the ability and intent of the user. An untrained person with any weapon (stick, gun or car) is basically a coin toss. Except for the intimidation factor, a knife or gun wouldn't necessarily be any better than a cane. There's no such thing as a "magical weapon for dummies" that lends itself to being used by complete newbies.

In some jurisdictions and situations, a cane may be the only real option. So, get some training, and then you'll better your chances!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to korbas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,545 Times in 7,831 Posts

You react as you've trained, korbas, and if you ain't trained, you get dead....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Prepared

Well, if I had to choose a melee' weapon, and could only pick "knife" or "cane"...I think I'd pick cane...so long as it was meant for the job, and not some flimsy thing.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,481 Times in 8,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproofvest View Post
if you're looking for protection, get a concealable bullet proof vest. that will definitely keep you from dying. unless you're shot in the head. LOL.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,485 Times in 1,887 Posts
Default Woman, 71, takes cane to burglars

Quote:
Posted: November 11, 2011 - 12:35am
By DeAnn Komanecky

A cane-wielding 71-year-old Effingham County woman scared off two men trying to break in to her Goshen Road residence Wednesday morning.
The woman was asleep when she woke up to someone knocking on her door and then heard breaking glass, said Effingham County sheriff’s spokesman David Ehsanipoor.

“She then saw two males trying to enter her residence,” Ehsanipoor said.
Deputies said the woman grabbed her cane and went after the suspects.
“They ran,” Ehsanipoor said.

The pair were last seen getting into a Ford pickup truck, possibly a Ranger, deputies reported.

One suspect was reported to be wearing a baseball cap.
Ehsanipoor said it appeared the suspects used a shovel they found in the woman’s back yard to break the glass in the home’s back door.
Deputies have increased patrols in the area.

http://savannahnow.com/effingham-now...s#.Tr4HLHJbUwA
Poor old gal, she did everything wrong, she didn't go to the gym to get in peak physical condition, she didn't have a specialty cane specifically designed for self defense, she didn't study martial arts before using her cane to defend herself. Somebody is going to have to take her cane away from her till she prepares properly. So sayeth Keyboard Kommandoes.

Like I always say it's not what weapon you have, the best defense is between your ears. If you have the proper attitude the average mope will not make a victim out of you, they don't like resistance and they don't like getting hit with a stick. Not even a flimsy cane wielded by a little 71 year old lady. She didn't dither and go "Oh my goodness. I am not properly prepared, whatever on earth shall I do?" She went right at them and whacked them. A thousand blessings on her.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,545 Times in 7,831 Posts

I respectfully submit, Old Grump, that she had indeed trained the important part. She had decided, a long time back, that she didn't need to put up with getting stole from. The tool isn't the important part, as you so carefully pointed out. It's what she had to hand, and she used it.

If she does need a better cane though, I bet that deputy could help her find one....
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 AM
Poppin' mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
Poor old gal, she did everything wrong, she didn't go to the gym to get in peak physical condition, she didn't have a specialty cane specifically designed for self defense, she didn't study martial arts before using her cane to defend herself. Somebody is going to have to take her cane away from her till she prepares properly. So sayeth Keyboard Kommandoes.

Like I always say it's not what weapon you have, the best defense is between your ears. If you have the proper attitude the average mope will not make a victim out of you, they don't like resistance and they don't like getting hit with a stick. Not even a flimsy cane wielded by a little 71 year old lady. She didn't dither and go "Oh my goodness. I am not properly prepared, whatever on earth shall I do?" She went right at them and whacked them. A thousand blessings on her.

Clearly she was prepared and ready to fight. However, training and practice can only be beneficial.
The Following User Says Thank You to korbas For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbas View Post

Clearly she was prepared and ready to fight. However, training and practice can only be beneficial.
Why are you confused or did you not get the main point of my post? She is 71, walks with a cane and nothing to indicate she was capable of doing Tae kwon do classes. The important thing was she used her head and she refused to be a victim. Give in to the bad guy and you will always be a victim. Fight back and your chances of surviving with your person unmolested and all of your possessions still in your possession go up exponentially. Attitude is the most important, all the rest is details.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 03:42 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,792 Times in 14,135 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

A person can train and even compete to become very good with a cane; without attending any Tae kwon do classes.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
A person can train and even compete to become very good with a cane; without attending any Tae kwon do classes.
I'm guessing you meant competent and Tae Kwon Do was only mentioned as one of several martial arts she wasn't likely to be participating in if she has to walk with a cane. Her age and already handicapped I'm betting she doesn't need any more stress on her bones and muscles other than her daily chores. You have to stop looking at her as a young able bodied person capable of athletic feats but for the elderly woman she is. Her weapon is her attitude and it will carry her further then any ju jitsu, karate, combat pistol shooting, or mixed martial arts training.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,792 Times in 14,135 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I'm guessing you meant competent
No I meant 'compete' like with trophies and awards.

Quote:
... Her weapon is her attitude and it will carry her further then any ju jitsu, karate, combat pistol shooting, or mixed martial arts training.
I agree.

I also know that having a background in competition sparring does not hurt a person either.

I have not sparred for years now. But the muscle memory is still there. A cane is very much like a foil / saber / cutlass.

I am not sure if any of the other fighting arts really focuses on using cane-like devices as much as fencing does.

The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

We had a British warrant officer on temporary duty with us when I was on permanent shore patrol. We were there for baton training but he slipped a little cane training for us when it came out that he competed and taught it. It was only 4 hours, (so much for an hour class and getting home to the wife that night). I will absolutely guarantee that it would not have helped her, that was a young mans sport the way he taught it and we were bruised battered and humbled by that little guy 17 ways to Sunday. That was 42 years ago and there is no way in the world I could do anywhere near what he showed us back then. the mind might be willing gut the body needs to be taken into account. I'm still pretty nasty with a baton and a tonfa but nothing like I was.

Back to the old girl I would rather see her with a small easy to handle gun instead of having to rely on a cane but again, she used what she had and used it well. Determination trumped a couple of cowardly rats.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2011, 06:25 AM
Poppin' mags

Quote:
Why are you confused or did you not get the main point of my post? She is 71, walks with a cane and nothing to indicate she was capable of doing Tae kwon do classes. The important thing was she used her head and she refused to be a victim. Give in to the bad guy and you will always be a victim. Fight back and your chances of surviving with your person unmolested and all of your possessions still in your possession go up exponentially. Attitude is the most important, all the rest is details.
Indeed. Attitude is essential, and attitude is both a requirement for, and a product of, training, though it may be innate to an extent. Training, however, doesn't necessarily mean classes in a classroom with an instructor and other students. Training is simply a conditioned set of reflexes and behaviors. It may even come from life experience of some sort...actual fights, or just not letting others get the best of you. At the very least, she obviously had mental training that allowed her to respond decisively to repel the attackers before they (literally) got a foot in the door.

For what it's worth, TKD tends to focus heavily on kicks and does not make extensive use of weapons training so she probably wouldn't have gotten a lot of cane use there. Regardless, there are many McDojos around which exist more for exercise/recreation and don't do a particularly good job of teaching either technique or mindset.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,208 Times in 827 Posts

OP, its not only a heavy weighted stick- its a grappling tool. PR24 is just a stick, in the wrong hands. In the right hands....
Old 12-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Emperor In Exile

Thanked 15,129 Times in 6,846 Posts

HMMMM, guess you have never seen a cane at work....... I have not omly seen it work but used one several times to make wannabe bad guys lay on the ground crying in pain..
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Hiker

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY

one of the most brutal attacts i have ever sen was someone using a normal pool cue to nail though a guys shoulder into a stud wall and then snapped it in two and then prompty beet the crap out of the nailed guy untill he passed out , still nailed to the wall, total time less that 30 seconds, all these years i thought just like client east wood your suposed to hit them with the thick end!!

short staff fighting or cane fighting is by far one of the best defence ways going, yes you are not going to stop a gang banger ten feet away with a gun but closer and with training it can be quite evil when used properly
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hedgerowpete For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 AM
Poppin' mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgerowpete View Post
one of the most brutal attacts i have ever sen was someone using a normal pool cue to nail though a guys shoulder into a stud wall and then snapped it in two and then prompty beet the crap out of the nailed guy untill he passed out , still nailed to the wall, total time less that 30 seconds, all these years i thought just like client east wood your suposed to hit them with the thick end!!
How did that work? A "normal pool cue" is not sharp enough to achieve the penetration required to go through a shoulder. It must have been sharpened or assisted in some way.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 AM
Prepared

Many yr's ago when i use to haul freight into many bad places across the U.S.... I was confronted by some guy that wanted my wallet.. I had injured my right ankle sometime before that. And was using a simple hardwood dowel for a walking stick. it was only 3/4 inch and about 4 foot long..

Was stopped on the street waiting for an unloading door to open. And needed to relieve myself on a tire..
He stuck something hard in my back and demanded my wallet.. i told him i'd get it.. i finished.. turned around and told him it was in my inside coat pocket.. i'll get it.. he was close... i used the hand i was holding my stick with and came up into his throat with the end of it..

His eyes got big.. couldn't breath.. i began making him wish he hadn't chose me to rob... A cop down the block saw what was going on and came code 3 to my rescue lol...
all he had was a piece of pipe in his bulky coat pocket . but coulda been a gun barrell... i didn't know..
The cop thought that was a pretty cool trick.. told him yup i never leave home without it..
but just that dowel got me out of what seemed to be a bad situation..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yankeeswagman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2011, 07:29 AM

Cold Steel has several canes designed for combat situations
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We do staff training at my dojo....trust me, you can do a lot with it if you are trained. If you have a "walking stick" with a paracord strap at the top to put your hand in, the perp won't be able to take it from you.

The staff is great for tripping, locking up, breaking collar bones and arms, taking out a knee cap, breaking a jaw or nose....you get the point.