BOL Distance - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zero Distance TlTANlUM Rifle Forum 45 11-30-2013 09:33 PM
At what distance do you shoot? FarmerJohn Firearms General Discussion 24 11-06-2012 02:45 PM
Distance to BOL savoy1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 55 10-24-2012 06:59 PM
BOL distance/options? Sylens Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 01-18-2012 10:12 PM
Average distance to BOL sync Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 49 01-10-2012 11:29 PM
At what distance... Combat_Vet Shotgun Forum 40 09-14-2011 06:56 PM
BOL distance from cities? Floydfan2 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 03-21-2011 02:54 AM
Distance from BOL timberland Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 11-15-2010 07:09 PM
Average distance to bol Gregs Urban Survival 30 10-22-2009 11:02 PM
Distance CaptainUnderpants Military Weapons Forum 2 09-10-2009 05:16 AM

Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 AM

Advertise Here

Even though it is an old thread I found it helpful. Lots to think about. The more I read on this site the less I feel I know and am prepared.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 AM

Mines roughly 6 hours away by car, definitely a few days walk haha but I'm constantly thinking of closer options. But, my plan involves more of a nomadic approach than to a specific location. If I had the money for a better location, things would be different. But knowledge on how to survive is much easier
Old 05-29-2013, 12:50 AM
I have issues

Thanked 5,610 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drose427 View Post
Mines roughly 6 hours away by car, definitely a few days walk haha but I'm constantly thinking of closer options. But, my plan involves more of a nomadic approach than to a specific location. If I had the money for a better location, things would be different. But knowledge on how to survive is much easier
Corect me if I misunderstand but that sounds more like being a refugee than having a specific plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 AM

To an extent, yeah I guess so, haha But I have no intention of going to some "Camp" or pleading with people for supplies. My main BOL is a small house that used to be my Grandmas that my uncle owns that my family uses at will, traveling, etc. But I do have a couple other places here in southeastern, Ohio I could go to as well. Refugee could be used I guess, but it's not the best. My plan calls for me to rely more on skills and knowledge than gear. Being short on cash, thats the best shot I have. But I've also grown up, hunting, trapping, skinning, living in a lean to catch only what you eat camping trips with my dad and uncles, so as long as I practice what I've learned, for me personally, using the land is my best shot. By that, I do not mean to rely solely on the land, I'm by no means a bad ass indian whatever you wanna call it, but I intend on using my gear and skills supplemented with nature. So I wouldnt consider myself a refugee, but others might
Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Prepared

That's the way I think. Too many people are depending on their 'stash'. What happens when that stash runs out, and it will if it's long-term. Depending on the nature of the circumstances, people really should know how to survive as if they didn't have any stock-pile at all. I try to keep in mind that there are circumstances where we can lose everything that we have stored. What happens if your stores are lost to a natural disaster, or if they are stolen? Not really advocating heading to the forest to live off the land as a first choice....but we all should at least know what wild edibles are in our area, how to prepare and preserve them, and how to hunt and preserve the meat. Just in case.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 AM

Exactly. I'd rather spend money learning a SKILL I need that will last a lifetime than a piece of Gear that could break down in a who knows how long. That said, I too plan on having and using a great deal of gear. But why use a limited amount of things when I could use a limitless source? At the very least, it'll make my supplies last longer.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:43 AM
Prepared

It's amazing how many wild edibles are all around us, in our yards, under our feet. Wild medicines too. Sometimes the skills we need to know, skills that our ancestors had, are just too much to learn all at once, so we should at the very least have books that we can refer to to learn. It's actually kind of scary the way we have lost the knowledge that kept our pioneer fore-fathers alive. We don't even have to go as far back as the pioneers, just go as far as the depression...wild edibles kept many people alive and healthy.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,970 Times in 3,817 Posts

My statement is always along these lines:

Your BOL needs to be far enough away that your local worst case scenario will not affect it, but close enough that you can get to it, injured and on foot, during the worst season and weather of the year, in the conditions of that worst case scenario, traveling under cover and at night, in the time the supplies of your BOL alone (no caches) provides you.

Hope that is helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post
My statement is always along these lines:

Your BOL needs to be far enough away that your local worst case scenario will not affect it, but close enough that you can get to it, injured and on foot, during the worst season and weather of the year, in the conditions of that worst case scenario, traveling under cover and at night, in the time the supplies of your BOL alone (no caches) provides you.

Hope that is helpful.
Sure. No one else even mentioned the real purpose of BOL. Of course your requirements are contradictory (in U.S. at least). Any BOL closer than 200 miles from a significant city (and separated by natural obstacles) would not comply with your first requirement, and if it complies, then it wont comply with the second. To make matters worse, many scenarios would not permit walking more than 1-10 miles (depending on initial location).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GG42 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,755 Times in 2,192 Posts

That is the the $60,000, how far? Realistically I plan on 10-12 miles max per 24 hr period, I would prefer to be at least 100-150 miles from where I am at which is 25 miles north of Detroit. My problem is that because of the weather I would rather be at least 400-500 miles further south...
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Survivor

I am sorry, but 100 miles north would not help you. 500 miles south might not (going thru Ohio).
Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,970 Times in 3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
Sure. No one else even mentioned the real purpose of BOL. Of course your requirements are contradictory (in U.S. at least). Any BOL closer than 200 miles from a significant city (and separated by natural obstacles) would not comply with your first requirement, and if it complies, then it wont comply with the second. To make matters worse, many scenarios would not permit walking more than 1-10 miles (depending on initial location).
That is exactly the point I am trying to make. BOLs are, in application, a very tricky thing.

Most people think about them in terms of having lots of advance warning and heading to them before things get real bad. The reality is that, more than likely, your trip to your BOL will be far less ideal.

I always, in my planning of all prep eventualities, take it to the Worst Case Scenario for application of action because anything less than that becomes easier if you can do the WCS. If you can get to your BOL on foot, injured, traveling only at night, when there has been something like a nuclear or chemical attack, then you are going to have no problem doing it under conditions that are comparatively ideal.

On the other hand, if your BOL requires that you MUST have a vehicle (how many 100's of miles?), MUST use your caches (more of a walk than the BOB supplies allow for?), MUST have special gear to access (what if you lost your BOB and are using improvised and found supplies?), and the like in IDEAL conditions (warm season, good weather, roads are not closed, masses are not flooding out of the cities yet, no radiation and other such concerns, etc) then when there are complications you are screwed.

On top of that, what if your BOL is unusable when you get there (say 20 people, armed and such, have set up camp?)...have you set up things such that you can sustain yourself without it until you can take your BOL back?

BOLs are not a basic and easy thing to add to your plan.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Survivor

That is why I moved out ahead of time. But I STILL face the same general problems, except now they are related to be able to get home, rather than bugging out.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,755 Times in 2,192 Posts

If you move to a BOL then it is no longer a BOL it is your home
THe BOL is an alternate fall back location for when staying at home is no longer feasible
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manisonenmi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Making chips

Thanked 1,012 Times in 445 Posts

Seems like part of the equation should be what is the threat your trying to escape from.

If you live near a nuclear power plant In earthquake country you bug out should be further than just escaping the city when the power goes out. Everybody's BOL distance will be different. There is no one size fits all.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Machinist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Survivor

Of course there is, if a situation is country-wide.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Making chips

Quote:
Of course there is, if a situation is country-wide.
Seems like it still depends on the "situation".
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Survivor

Please suggest the country-wide situation where one has to bug out but short distance is adequate.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Making chips

Quote:
Please suggest the country-wide situation where one has to bug out but short distance is adequate.
EMP would work for me. I'd bug out from my small country town to my BOL cabin on the lake 60 miles away. It would be easier to feed and hydrate my family there. No need to go the full 5 hours to my plan "B" BOL.

Last edited by The Machinist; 05-29-2013 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Survivor

Possible. My question referred to a bug out from a significant town (hundreds of thousands people).