Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 AM

Default JKD

Advertise Here

Hello all, new here, figured I'd add some input in a few areas.

Has anyone considered training in Bruce Lee's fighting system, Jeet Kune Do? It is a mix of the most lethal and effective moves from over 15 different martial arts disciplines.

Here is a preview. I have done some JKD training myself. Mainly in Close Quarters combat and Knife Fighting. It would seem to me that this could in fact be the ultimate martial art for self-defense. JKD is banned in MMA because it is designed to injure/maim/kill, many of the moves in JKD would be illegal in MMA. What is everyone's input? Experience?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Vincer Aut Mori

JKD is a good art to study if the instructor is a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM

The instructor that was teaching me is the guy in the second video, Matt Numrich, out of Elite Defense Systems. He has the JKD credentials
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Default JKD rocks

I have never studied JKD but have a lot of other systems; I currently hold a 2nd degree blackbelt in American Kenpo, a 1st kyu in Budo Taijutsu and am certified to instruct in PPCT, FBI Arrest Control and Krav Maga (for law enforcement) and have a smattering of low ranking belts in other systems (they didn't catch on or didn't work for me). A good instructor is key though and you need to make sure that your instructor is legit.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM

As in any MA, you want to select one that matches your abilities and personality. After you figure that out, then you want to decide who you shall train under. In JKD, you want to know the instructors lineage - i.e., how does he/she trace themselves back to Bruce Lee. If they were trained by Inosanto, STOP! you have arrived!
Bruce Lee really only had a handful of students he thought of as instructors (he died rather early).
Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,789 Times in 4,600 Posts

Bruce Lee in fact died before he really had a chance to test his theories. The closest he came was to teach Joe Lewis and watch him fight. Joe Lewis eventually phased out alot of what Lee advocated such as fighting with the strong side forward.

Lee was an innovator but don't believe all the hype, because it's usually just that. HYPE!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 AM

bruce lee was a out of date con man, as are 99 out of every 100 martials teachers, they just keep on teaching you silly useless junk moves which will never work,

all you need to know to defend you self is were are the bodys weak points, and which is the best way to attack them, ie with you foot or fist etc, and as the only tragets which you can attack safetly with your feet are the shins or knee, then combine this with a good weekly practices of boxing and you will stop most people in there tracks.

and 2 more points 1 get in there with the first stike and youly be the one going home, 2 if poss run away.

chunky
Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,414 Times in 6,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky View Post
all you need to know to defend you self is were are the bodys weak points, and which is the best way to attack them, ie with you foot or fist etc, and as the only tragets which you can attack safetly with your feet are the shins or knee, then combine this with a good weekly practices of boxing and you will stop most people in there tracks.
That is the whole point of JKD. It is art simplified. What works for one will not work for all. But it does what you just described.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,414 Times in 6,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjim View Post
As in any MA, you want to select one that matches your abilities and personality. After you figure that out, then you want to decide who you shall train under. In JKD, you want to know the instructors lineage - i.e., how does he/she trace themselves back to Bruce Lee. If they were trained by Inosanto, STOP! you have arrived!
Bruce Lee really only had a handful of students he thought of as instructors (he died rather early).
I honestly do not think "Lineage to Bruce Lee" means to much. I have trained with Bob Chapman and Bustillo and actually started out with Wing Chun when I was kid. But when it comes down to it JKD was all about personal discovery and what works with the individual under the initial concepts. Which is why direct lineage has less to do with actual discovery than it does a nice feather in the cap.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:42 AM

Bruce Lee was definitley no fraud or con man. As others have said in this particular forum JKD works best with a certain body type, natural speed is necessary for a lot of JKD's techniques to be applied effectively. I've used JKD in a few street fights and the stuff I used worked just fine. Also the overall theory behind JKD is "to use no way as way". Meaning that any technique from any style should be used if it will help you survive a fight.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,284 Times in 3,824 Posts

After training in Kenpo and Shotokan whie younger, then H2H/Combatives while in the ARMY, and the past several years in Judo, Muay Thai, Krav and Modern Combatives, I choose Modern Combatives, as it is simple, brutally functional, easy to learn and PROVEN in combat...

Remember, under duress, your pulse is going to hit 145 bpm or more, and fine motor skills go out the window, that is why Combatives work, they rely on using gross motor skills to inflict damage, edge of hand strikes, palm strikes, elbow, knees, hammer fists, forearm strikes, stomps, eye gouges, fish hooks, head butts, scrotum sack twists and pulls , etc...

I want it simple, easy to recall and use under duress and brutally effective and easy to train others as well...

Here is a link to the original "Get Tough," I will try to post links to other pdf's for download, as the files are quite large, too large for the forum here...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gettough.pdf (997.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Gone Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGUEsaint View Post

Has anyone considered training in Bruce Lee's fighting system, Jeet Kune Do? It is a mix of the most lethal and effective moves from over 15 different martial arts disciplines.

YouTube- WORLD JKD ONLINE - JEET KUNE DO

Here is a preview. I have done some JKD training myself. Mainly in Close Quarters combat and Knife Fighting. It would seem to me that this could in fact be the ultimate martial art for self-defense. JKD is banned in MMA because it is designed to injure/maim/kill, many of the moves in JKD would be illegal in MMA. What is everyone's input? Experience?
Why do people always say nonsense like this? JKD as an art is not banned in MMA. Small joint manipulation, throat, eye, groin and strikes to the back of the head are illegal in mma, not any art. I hate when TMA'ers always say thier art is "to dangerous". It is nonsense. Your art isn't used in MMA because it doesn't work in MMA, simple. I have also taken some JKD, it is a good art, but won't work in an MMA match mainly because you have limited ground game and can't compete. But stop saying this BS about its too dangerous.

Next you are going to tell us that your hands are registered as lethal weapons with the police lol.

Regarding Bruce Lee, I love him, he is an icon. However, he was not really a proven fighter, he was an actor and a great marketer. He didn't invent anything, he brought asian martial arts to America and became the face for TMA while making a career in movies. He never fought anyone and doesn't have any sort of record.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGUEsaint View Post

YouTube- WORLD JKD ONLINE - JEET KUNE DO

I loves me some JKD! BTW, excellent choice of including a clip with Octavio (the guy opposite Jerry Poteet), he is incredibly skilled, and a VERY nice guy!

I've never heard of JKD "banned" in MMA all together, considering MMA is a mishmash of multiple styles as well. I can see how aspects, such as the energy drills could be used to set someone up for BJJ style grappling, etc. However I would agree that there is no competitive aspect to JKD. It's meant to end the fight as quickly and painfully as possible, destroying your opponents weapons (limbs, joints), taking the fight out of them, etc. I suppose that's true for all, however one difference is that JKD is very lead hand oriented: Closest weapon to the nearest target, economy, and when in doubt, HIT!

As far as an "ultimate" art, even as a practitioner, I can't agree with that, because frankly, different styles are a better fit for different people. Notice how wirey Octavio and Poteet are. Even within the art, some things tend to gel more than others. I'm as big as both of them put together, and at the kicking range, I'd say I'm pretty good, however we are working on getting my hands up to speed.

IMHO it's not just about mastering one style, but also being able to figure how to fight other styles using your system. For example, Muay Thai, attack the legs at the moment he switches feet, or you know a kick is coming from a TKD guy when his back foot goes perpendicular. The key to JKD is that it strives to be the least telegraphic, and doesn't fight "fair"
Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 AM

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm from the Netherlands, so excuse my grammar

I have been training JKD under Corne Heesters in the Netherlands.
Corne is an indirect student of Richard Torres and Ted Wong (Bruce Lee's personal training buddy who has sadly died).

Sadly enough there are to many people who have been certified by Bruce Lee. This would not have been a problem if they didn't give there own spin to JKD, making it look cool, and with doing so completely missing the point of JKD.

I have to warn you there are a lot of bad instructors out there who give JKD a bad name.
To those who say Bruce Lee is a hype, you can thank these instructors for that.....

Also JKD techniques do not rely on speed, its the execution and other factors that makes it fast.

Lastly Im not going to defend JKD, I just wanted to point out that the is a lot bull**** out there.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm from the Netherlands, so excuse my grammar

I have been training JKD under Corne Heesters in the Netherlands.
Corne is an indirect student of Richard Torres and Ted Wong (Bruce Lee's personal training buddy who has sadly died).

Sadly enough there are to many people who have been certified by Bruce Lee. This would not have been a problem if they didn't give there own spin to JKD, making it look cool, and with doing so completely missing the point of JKD.

I have to warn you there are a lot of bad instructors out there who give JKD a bad name.
To those who say Bruce Lee is a hype, you can thank these instructors for that.....

Also JKD techniques do not rely on speed, its the execution and other factors that makes it fast.

Lastly Im not going to defend JKD, I just wanted to point out that the is a lot bull**** out there.
First off... Welcome to the board!

Now, down to business.

While I respect Bruce Lee as an innovator, Mr. Lee spent about the last three or four years of his life working on real life self defense. Before that he was involved with 'Gung fu' and 'Wing Chun.'

I don't know if I can take the theories of a guy that was only beginning to find the truth as gospel truth.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon115 View Post
First off... Welcome to the board!

Now, down to business.

While I respect Bruce Lee as an innovator, Mr. Lee spent about the last three or four years of his life working on real life self defense. Before that he was involved with 'Gung fu' and 'Wing Chun.'

I don't know if I can take the theories of a guy that was only beginning to find the truth as gospel truth.
Thank you

You are correct about his former training. But keep in mind that JKD is dynamic. Much has changed and is still changing based on current knowledge of all martial arts. I guess the only way to see it's effectiveness and logic is to join a few classes.

The video's above don't give a good representation at all. If you want I could elaborate on this.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Thank you

You are correct about his former training. But keep in mind that JKD is dynamic. Much has changed and is still changing based on current knowledge of all martial arts. I guess the only way to see it's effectiveness and logic is to join a few classes.

The video's above don't give a good representation at all. If you want I could elaborate on this.
Yes, elaborate if you will. I always keep an open mind.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon115 View Post
Yes, elaborate if you will. I always keep an open mind.
At the moment I'm doing an internship (is this the correct grammar?), and I'm quite busy.

So please be patient, I'll elaborate on JKD somewhere this week
Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
At the moment I'm doing an internship (is this the correct grammar?), and I'm quite busy.

So please be patient, I'll elaborate on JKD somewhere this week
No hurry, take your time.