Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry Reid On Funding Childrens Cancer Treatment: "Why Would We Want To Do That?" Eduardo89 Political News and Discussion 21 10-03-2013 11:13 AM
Marijuana in treatment of aggressive cancer strains txmikenlisa1 Health, Fitness and First Aid 2 10-02-2012 04:18 PM
Survival Medicine Burn Treatment NurseAmyDrBones Health, Fitness and First Aid 3 04-04-2012 08:19 PM
Calcium Hypochlorite for water purification and CANCER treatment... Amazing research! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 10-12-2011 08:29 PM
U.S. Air Force Pilots Survival Knife Leather Oil Treatment Sgt. Sparky Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 09-28-2011 08:56 AM
The Cancer Treatment So Successful - Traditional Doctors SHUT it Down KawiGreen Health, Fitness and First Aid 55 09-23-2011 12:51 PM
capsaicin cancer treatment ..... NYC-Marty Health, Fitness and First Aid 23 06-02-2010 08:30 AM
New study suggest that being pregnant after breast cancer treatment is good for you Brad in Seattle Ladies Section 2 04-01-2010 10:13 PM
Skin Cancer Vanishes With Experimental Treatment awildchipmunk General Discussion 0 06-26-2008 05:20 AM

Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 PM
"Safe and blessed"

Talking LOL!!!!

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslin View Post
You are 'me' all over - in your attitude. I think that is why I am here - and so are you. It is who we are - in all things and situations.

Should I ever have to cope with what you are going through, I doubt there is much I would (instinctively) do differently than you have. Including the double mastectomy (lol .. I have always said if they have to take one, they will have to take both, PLEASE! but then .. I have never ever even had to think about augmenting what I have .. it is more than ample, thanks .. and I don't see my femininity as being made up of body parts.) And, if there is any reason at all to be able to argue for taking one, (and therefore 2) I will! And, at 60, what reason do I have to 'reconstruct' them (not that I would have bothered at any age)? I might be able to see my knees, without sitting down or bending over, for the first time in too many years to count if I don't! Woo hoo. And just think what money I would save on 'harnesses'! Doctors would probably be shocked at me too - and the plastic surgeons would not like me either.

But, of course, everyone will make their own decisions for themselves in that regard. My sister-in-law had both her breasts removed when she experienced recurring cancers in one. Doctors didn't want her to even remove one, but, she insisted and has been very happy she did. She had a bit of reconstruction but she had the opposite problem from me - always wanted a bit more - and is thrilled with the results. Each to her own.

And, though I don't have cancer (at least as far as I know right now), I drive my doctor nuts sometimes with my 'research' (I make her think and answer questions a lot). And I make her think about alternatives or old proven remedies too - she tries over and over to prescribe according to the latest and greatest lunch with a rep - but not with me. She will learn .. eventually! Should I encounter your type of situation, I would not change in that regard .. and I would do my mental preps too. As I said .. it is who I am.
AMEN SISTER!!!!!

hmmm...$60 bra vs. $60 worth of preps...hmmm....better shape for shooting a bow vs. items no longer useful (just a thought...did you know in Canada milk comes in plastic bags!?! ) hmmm...lots less in my way when I'm on the wheel throwing pots vs. ...well you get the point obviously lol
Yeah...my doc just does not get me at all...well my med. oncologist anyway. I think my radiation oncologist gets me perfectly...when he gave me that positive forecast he said "well, you were in an extremely risky position and we've thrown the worst of the worst at you, and it's like you're laughing at us"...yeah, I think he gets it, but then again, we do share a love of archery as well...
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Happygirl62 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM
"Safe and blessed"

PS. Teslin, it's a pleasure to "meet" you! :-)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,696 Times in 2,281 Posts

My hat is off to you, good lady. You are one strong and fabulous person and I love the attitude that you have about what you're going through. I have a good friend who just finished treatment for stage 3 breast cancer, and I had surgery over a year ago for cervical cancer. This post is an inspriation and I will be leading others here to read it! Stay strong and you're in my thoughts, tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaciRich For This Useful Post:

Old 06-20-2010, 10:50 PM
"Safe and blessed"

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaciRich View Post
My hat is off to you, good lady. You are one strong and fabulous person and I love the attitude that you have about what you're going through. I have a good friend who just finished treatment for stage 3 breast cancer, and I had surgery over a year ago for cervical cancer. This post is an inspriation and I will be leading others here to read it! Stay strong and you're in my thoughts, tonight.
Thank you SO MUCH!! I know it's meant for at least one "someone" so lead on!!! Thank you much for the thoughts as well!!!! I'll keep you in mine!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 AM

Knowing Happy you enjoy country music...just on youtube a sec and heard this song and thought I would post it in here,,,hope ya dont mind.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildmanliving For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Prepared Gourmet

Thanked 6,109 Times in 2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygirl62 View Post
AMEN SISTER!!!!!

hmmm...$60 bra vs. $60 worth of preps...hmmm....better shape for shooting a bow vs. items no longer useful (just a thought...did you know in Canada milk comes in plastic bags!?! ) hmmm...lots less in my way when I'm on the wheel throwing pots vs. ...well you get the point obviously lol
Yeah...my doc just does not get me at all...well my med. oncologist anyway. I think my radiation oncologist gets me perfectly...when he gave me that positive forecast he said "well, you were in an extremely risky position and we've thrown the worst of the worst at you, and it's like you're laughing at us"...yeah, I think he gets it, but then again, we do share a love of archery as well...
Yes, I do know about milk in Canada. lol My children, born, bred and (most) still living there, drank milk from them. I am a Canadian .. living in the US right now .. just like you are.

Perhaps this is why we think so much alike, at least in part. There is perhaps something about the Canadian mentality and education system (at least back in my day) that taught me to ask questions, and do my research. I spent my 'formative years' in the Yukon too .. that experience also contributes to my 'survivor' mentality I am sure. It helps me to see clearly and not shrink from challenges, taking them head on I think. And essentially laugh at them! Many Canadians have a great sense of humour too - though I have found it is not always understood below the 49th.

At any rate, I am so glad that is your attitude - because I am SURE it has helped you through all this ordeal and kept you alive .. and now prospering - and will make you even stronger!

(p.s. This is NOT to say that Canada is 'superior' to the US, folks, in case anyone is rushing to misinterpret - I don't mean that at all so please don't react negatively to what I said. Nor it is to suggest that any given American cannot/would not do attack problems the same way as HappyGirl does! These are just part of the experiences that shaped me - and some of them may be common with her experiences. You too may have had similar experiences, no matter where you grew up. At any rate, the ability to face issues square on and laugh is never a bad thing, at least as far as I can see. HappyGirl inspires me by her attitude, and reminds me that I too am able to take anything on if it is swept into my path!)

I go back to Canada every couple of months to see my 93 (as of this week) year old father. I leave again for there tomorrow. Stay well. I shall chuckle I am sure when I see a milk bag now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teslin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 PM
"Safe and blessed"

Default Awesome song!

Wild...thanks for posting that song! It's absolutely appropriate! So this one's for all those "tough" ladies who have fought and won...or who are still doing battle!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:01 AM
"Safe and blessed"

Quote:
Yes, I do know about milk in Canada. lol My children, born, bred and (most) still living there, drank milk from them. I am a Canadian .. living in the US right now .. just like you are.

Perhaps this is why we think so much alike, at least in part. There is perhaps something about the Canadian mentality and education system (at least back in my day) that taught me to ask questions, and do my research. I spent my 'formative years' in the Yukon too .. that experience also contributes to my 'survivor' mentality I am sure. It helps me to see clearly and not shrink from challenges, taking them head on I think. And essentially laugh at them! Many Canadians have a great sense of humour too - though I have found it is not always understood below the 49th.

At any rate, I am so glad that is your attitude - because I am SURE it has helped you through all this ordeal and kept you alive .. and now prospering - and will make you even stronger!

(p.s. This is NOT to say that Canada is 'superior' to the US, folks, in case anyone is rushing to misinterpret - I don't mean that at all so please don't react negatively to what I said. Nor it is to suggest that any given American cannot/would not do attack problems the same way as HappyGirl does! These are just part of the experiences that shaped me - and some of them may be common with her experiences. You too may have had similar experiences, no matter where you grew up. At any rate, the ability to face issues square on and laugh is never a bad thing, at least as far as I can see. HappyGirl inspires me by her attitude, and reminds me that I too am able to take anything on if it is swept into my path!)

I go back to Canada every couple of months to see my 93 (as of this week) year old father. I leave again for there tomorrow. Stay well. I shall chuckle I am sure when I see a milk bag now.
Tes...yes I had picked up on the fact that you were Canadian also...just wasn't sure how long you had been here, that's why I asked about the milk in bags I'm sure our homeland has a good bit to do with our shared mindset...and our approach! Yes I can imagine formative years in the Yukon would produce a survivalist...how could it not! lol Spent a wee bit of time in the NWT myself but most of my life in northern Ontario...and we were just raised tramping around the wilderness so prepping was just a way of life!
Glad someone gets my sense of humor! Although when it is understood below the 49th it's awesome! And yes I think most share the traits of questioning, researching...learning...at least that has been my observation, I think it's just something drilled into us at school. As for Canadian superiority...hmmm...well don't post any Rick Mercer vids in here lol. I've met many warm, wonderful, talented people here in the U.S. and agree it's not a matter of superiority...but we are definitely different!!!!
Stay safe Tes...see ya when you get back!!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:24 AM

Thanked 18,742 Times in 5,307 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
I have not had cancer (yet .. but it is rampant in my family so I expect some form of it someday). I will keep all your advice in mind in case that happens, or, in case someone close to me has to go through all this.
Yep, me too.

Lost paternal grandpa to colon cancer, maternal aunt to breast cancer, mother going through another kind, younger sis fighting the results of breast cancer metastacized but does seem to be doing ok without that little piece of her brain.

Same message every time:

"NEVER give up, NEVER stop fighting! Eat whatever will stay down."

Much prayers for your long and happy life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Raving Loony

Thanked 3,936 Times in 1,501 Posts

Ah, dear Nita. I just gained a whole heaping ton of respect for you. Coming from me, that actually has meaning. I don't say that to a lot of people. YOU ARE AWESOME.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We live in a society that confuses compassion, empathy, sympathy, and pity.

I'm glad you don't. Real compassion is a hard thing with a sharp edge. Empathy and sympathy (look them up in a good dictionary) are gray-- they can be good or not so good. Pity-- which a great many of us confuse for compassion-- kills.

Me, I'd probably visit the forums. Commiseration, in small doses, seems to work for me. It does for some. I doubt they'd let me stick around very long, though.

Bless you, Dame.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MC Ain't Crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 03:09 AM
"Safe and blessed"

Default Never, ever!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Lynn View Post
Yep, me too.

Lost paternal grandpa to colon cancer, maternal aunt to breast cancer, mother going through another kind, younger sis fighting the results of breast cancer metastacized but does seem to be doing ok without that little piece of her brain.

Same message every time:

"NEVER give up, NEVER stop fighting! Eat whatever will stay down."

Much prayers for your long and happy life.
Lynn, thank you much for your prayers, I'll be keeping your sis in my thoughts and you as well! Tell your sis from me to "keep on climbing!!"
Old 06-23-2010, 03:20 AM
"Safe and blessed"

Talking Thanks right back atcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Ain't Crazy View Post
Ah, dear Nita. I just gained a whole heaping ton of respect for you. Coming from me, that actually has meaning. I don't say that to a lot of people. YOU ARE AWESOME.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We live in a society that confuses compassion, empathy, sympathy, and pity.

I'm glad you don't. Real compassion is a hard thing with a sharp edge. Empathy and sympathy (look them up in a good dictionary) are gray-- they can be good or not so good. Pity-- which a great many of us confuse for compassion-- kills.

Me, I'd probably visit the forums. Commiseration, in small doses, seems to work for me. It does for some. I doubt they'd let me stick around very long, though.

Bless you, Dame.
Thank you MC...for the compliment given with such sincerity...for the very nicely worded recognition of the differences in those words and attributes, very well put!! And thank you for the acknowledgement re Dame - that means a great deal to me!!! ...the blessings as always are welcomed and returned in kind!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 AM

I don't post very often but I just want to say thanks! Very inspirational. Though I've never had cancer, I personally believe that a positive mental attitude can allow you to overcome anything. I didn't read through all the replies but the first few about the immune system "soldiers" is a cool idea. If you believe strongly enough in yourself and have the right mindset and attitude, you can do anything, and you proved that
The Following User Says Thank You to rhammer21 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 04:17 AM
"Safe and blessed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhammer21 View Post
I don't post very often but I just want to say thanks! Very inspirational. Though I've never had cancer, I personally believe that a positive mental attitude can allow you to overcome anything. I didn't read through all the replies but the first few about the immune system "soldiers" is a cool idea. If you believe strongly enough in yourself and have the right mindset and attitude, you can do anything, and you proved that
Thank you hammer for taking a moment to reply to this post. And thank you for your acknowledgement of what attitude and mindset can accomplish, to me it is absolutely the key to survival especially when combined with the ability to adapt to circumstance.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM
ready for it!

Well after reading every post on this thread I have a new respect for you Lady. Very brave of you (shy my A**)....

Thank you for sharing Lady!! distant hugs....

I am proud to know and call you a friend always.....

yours,
Hunter
The Following User Says Thank You to hunterwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM
"Safe and blessed"

Default back atcha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterwolf View Post
Well after reading every post on this thread I have a new respect for you Lady. Very brave of you (shy my A**)....

Thank you for sharing Lady!! distant hugs....

I am proud to know and call you a friend always.....

yours,
Hunter
The feeling is entirely and wholeheartedly mutual!

...BOW...heehee, you are so much fun!...and deeply appreciated!

Last edited by Happygirl62; 06-30-2010 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: added thought
Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 PM
"Safe and blessed"

Well the statement that WAS here was apparently entirely too cryptic...or canadian...or something lol, (my sense of humor is often funny only to me, that's when it's time for the brakes!)...so I thought I'd add a few favorite quotes instead!

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
~ Maryanne Williamson

“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” ~ Albert Pine

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

“If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.” ~ Winnie the Pooh

And because I happen to believe that most everything you need to know in life you can find in the pages of Dr. Suess's many wonderful stories....

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” ~ Dr. Suess

“This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life.”

Nita

Last edited by Happygirl62; 07-03-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Great your getting well~!!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
"Safe and blessed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue4x4 View Post
Great your getting well~!!
Thanks girl...it's so good to see you here! You have no idea....have missed you much!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 AM

Hi Nita--just read your thread today--WOW!

I get "reconstructed" next Tuesday, after having a tissue expander in since Nov '09--had to postpone surgery twice (too busy to have surgery ;~}

Anyway, I LOVE your post as I see major medical issues as a HUGE survival factor, seeing as how we can't all be our own physician for everything--as much knowledge as I have gained on how to stay healthy naturally, I couldn't have removed my own tumor.

The chief thing that keeps me connected to "society" now is that I could never affford this surgery without great [federal] health insurance: I've tried not to succumb to the medical scare tactics of the media in promoting expensive treatments for every discomfort, but I have had to think harder about being ~tied~ to medical help now that I'm going in for my 7th surgery in 2 years for a 7mm lumpectomy + radiation (no chemo) for stage 0 DCIS.

My cancer never was "scary" as it wouldn't spread like Nita's, and I do regret my course of treatment as I feel I probably would have been OK without any treatment at all.

I've always neglected health care treatment, feeling strong enough to overcomne things that are "supposed" to send you to the doctor, but the tumor was a total shock--I'd never felt ill, and I thought I was in touch enough with myself to sense anything major, but not in this case...

Nita--thanks again for your post--I live in Ventura also, but was born & raised in Upstate NY, so I'm practically Canadian ;~} I believe climate has a lot to do with the "survivalist mentality", as you & Tes discussed, or just generally makes you tougher (I'm so spoiled by the Mediterranean climate of SoCal, I fear getting "soft")

Much strength to you on your Journey!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meander For This Useful Post: