Apartment security during SHTF? - Page 7 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**Ladies Section** Security for new apartment? WildPigeonChase Ladies Section 15 09-22-2015 09:52 AM
Apartment Security Help Steam_Power_Prepper Urban Survival 20 04-10-2014 10:58 AM
Urban DIY apartment security system Cat Urban Survival 0 11-08-2012 12:28 PM
Staying Warm in an Apartment in the Winter SHTF Antonomac Urban Survival 35 09-26-2012 06:50 PM
WHy not a small dog for security after SHTF? ShellbackBill Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 90 07-08-2012 05:17 AM
Security Camera, apartment building tygerstar35 DIY - Do It Yourself 11 08-10-2011 06:49 AM
What can I do to improve my apartment security for when not @ home...? Reason Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 08-02-2011 09:44 AM
Living in an apartment-security and supplies GA8MM Urban Survival 6 10-27-2010 01:20 PM
SHTF Security Measures fisherman50 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 09-12-2009 04:21 PM
Providing Security in SHTF Mike Honcho Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 06-28-2009 05:17 PM

Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Hunter

Advertise Here

Apartment complexes really can vary. The one i live in is all college students and the complex is pretty much indefensible unless you move to the basement. Bit honkin windows everywhere, easy access to the upper levels. Its usually easy to tell when someones home or not.

Chances are is that your apartment has a storage somewhere nearby that only residents can access. Use that to your advantage and keep a lot of stuff in there. I put a lot of non-vital bob stuff in it like extra water and food. Stuff i can snag if i have time.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Default Be Careful

You guys need to be careful. If you read through all of these posts, you will notice how people keep adding more information on almost each post. you could get a pretty good idea of location and what some people have stored up. BE CAREFUL.
The Following User Says Thank You to rabidSnoopy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Trapper

yea someone brought up the apartment fire thing i think thats one of ur biggest concerns. Especially if there is no power and its cold people will probably start trying to make small fires to keep warm or have a bunch of candles etc.. burning, plus fire for cooking, boiling water. We go to apartment fires all the time usually the builders are trying to build large complexes and make money so they build them faster and ive seen apartment fires rip through a whole building of units in a few minutes, without a fire dept. to stop it i have no dought the whole complex would be burning in no time. If u did stay there id have all ur stuff ready to grab and leave incase a fire started so u wouldnt be caught not ready to leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2016, 12:17 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branned View Post
Apartment security during SHTF?

This sound like a great thread for lots of Americans.
most of the apt occupants around here are the security threat ,, i lived in one once never again , i considered it a death trap

Last edited by bmrtoyo; 10-09-2016 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: add
Old 10-09-2016, 03:59 AM

One thing I am shocked no one has mentioned (if it already was I missed it) is DISEASE. When those toilets stop working the area will soon have a lot of feces which carry some pretty nasty bacteria not to mention the horrible smell. Not only that if someone gets an illness, cold, flu, stomach virus, pink eye, diarrhea, sore throat, cough or anything half of the population will end up with it within a few days.

If you live in apartment and SHTF it is wise to get the hell out ASAP.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:33 PM

Are there floors above your's or are you the top floor? Is there roof access to everyone in the building?
Old 10-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Pot-stirring nest-poker!

Thanked 8,729 Times in 2,189 Posts

It's been six (6) years since OP made his post. I'm hoping he has since moved to a more secure location.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:13 AM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak0586 View Post
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone out there has some ideas about how to defend an apartment during a shtf situation. Also looking for some ideas about how to keep the fact I have preps hidden, i.e. cooking, waste removal, and lighting. General Ospec stuff?

Anyway, I live on the 3rd floor of a big apartment complex of about 900 residents, even mix of male/female. There is about ten acres of wooded land behind the complex.

There is one entrence, and a balconey also. The main door is steel with two deadbolts. The balcony doors are sliding glass with a simple latch lock.

I have enough food and water to last about 3 months and supplies to procure more as needed.

For defense I have...
Beretta px4-1000 rounds
Mossberg 500-200 rounds,various
Ruger 10/22-1000 rounds
A few hand to hand combat weapons

I would be defending myself, my girlfriend and my preps.

Any imput would be great, Thank-you

This all depends on the type of SHTF.

Your real dangers are "fire". If stuff gets weird and people starting cooking or heating with open flame the risk of fire increases greatly.

There are just WAY to many SHTF, but unless you are the super intendant or building owner I would just focus on your own appartment.

You might like to speak with your super about implementing some type of security plan in event of a major disaster etc.. though. They may not be interested but it all depends on them. Some condo style buildings will have "security" or concierge service.

Normally post orders are insuring general security of the building. There will likely be no "natural disaster" protocol.

The other issue is if concierge are not live in, then they may not show up meaning building security will reduce.

I think the best strategy would be to get some type of ladder you can climb down if needed and intend to barricade your entrance and cover your windows in an emergency. Even posting a trespassers will be shot sign in event of a natural disaster - IF YOUR LOCAL LAW USES THE CASTLE DOCTRINE AND STAND YOUR GROUND.

In a really bad situation like severe civil disorder expect the sledgehammers to start flying.

Walls doors.. if they gain entry to the appartment next to you, you might like to consider what your walls are made of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5l2EvveVIo

Being anywhere someone may enter carries a risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVf2lmAA3ic

You might want to set up trip and neck wires.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:10 AM

I can't believe how many people in here are saying that apt defense is pointless and you need to move and buy a house. Do you seriously think we are made of money? My rent here is cheap and a house would be double or triple what I pay which I wouldn't be able to afford and I can tell you that my apt is much more secure than that house that my mom has or the one my dad has. If all you have is an apt, then make the best of it and secure it the best you can. If you do live upstairs, the front door is going to be the only entrance. At least have a ladder to escape if need be out a window and secure the front door as best you can.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:45 AM
HidingInPlainSight 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak0586 View Post
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone out there has some ideas about how to defend an apartment during a shtf situation. Also looking for some ideas about how to keep the fact I have preps hidden, i.e. cooking, waste removal, and lighting. General Ospec stuff?

Anyway, I live on the 3rd floor of a big apartment complex of about 900 residents, even mix of male/female. There is about ten acres of wooded land behind the complex.

There is one entrence, and a balconey also. The main door is steel with two deadbolts. The balcony doors are sliding glass with a simple latch lock.

I have enough food and water to last about 3 months and supplies to procure more as needed.

For defense I have...
Beretta px4-1000 rounds
Mossberg 500-200 rounds,various
Ruger 10/22-1000 rounds
A few hand to hand combat weapons

I would be defending myself, my girlfriend and my preps.

Any imput would be great, Thank-you
TELL NO ONE WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.Make or have an alarm installed on your balcony (area) entrance - NOW - You will sleep better!!
1a. Get more ammo
2 Get some more ammo
3. Teach her to handle all the weapons, teach her to shoot, teach her to shoot to kill... sorry its either them or you!! ..and dead men have NO side in a story!!
4. Would consertina wire around your balcony be frowned upon??
5. Be happy!

Last edited by 5keepers; 10-18-2016 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: UPDATE!!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 AM

If you are talking about code red SHTF and full breakout of riots weapons included then i have one word: rappelling

the biggest cause of death when apartment buildings are under seige is lack of escape routes...9/11..they had no parachutes or rappelling gear, 26/11 india attacks they were trapped in hotel rooms, paris attacks - cornered or even in case of fire or earthquakes when all occupants have crowded the staircase.

apartment buildings are not for camping...yes u can keep baseball bats, guns, knives etc but you are cornered with limited space for storing enough personal defense equipment...hell..most rented apartments have such weak doors i can kick them in.

buy those high capacity carabiners, some nice cords...and i dont mean paracord....learn rappeling

If things are code orange....all lights off, get wooden planks and nail them to your door, windows and stuff wet towels under door in case someone is trying to flush u out etc and camp in.

keep sound levels very low so no one knows you are inside.