Predators at bug out location - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Location, Location, Location Ė Depends on Where You Live Yehudi Urban Survival 13 07-17-2016 08:41 PM
ammunition seized from George Zimmermanís home - location, location, location.... HarryWinters44 General Discussion 51 12-05-2013 04:36 PM
Predators and other pests barnetmill Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 25 03-06-2013 01:49 AM
BOLO Predators Whiskey Tango Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 11-26-2011 01:31 PM
Danger! Taking cell phone pics can pinpoint your location to predators/ thieves! patriot101 General Discussion 3 11-12-2011 12:08 AM
Urban Danger: Location, location, location Halkon Urban Survival 8 12-13-2010 07:04 AM
predators corndogggy Religious Discussion 45 10-08-2010 09:56 AM
How Do You ID Human Predators? Pinemarten Urban Survival 131 07-17-2009 04:48 AM
Predators of man after SHTF Purdy Bear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 06-27-2009 02:24 PM
Big Predators in Texas when SHTF Dwind Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 08-11-2008 10:03 PM

Old 12-06-2015, 04:09 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,393 Times in 7,145 Posts

Advertise Here

We lost a few hens this fall & our BOL coop/run is darn near bullet proof. Finally set live traps outside the coop. 2nd night after the traps were set caught the little varmint, which turned out to be a feisty pine marten.

Next run to town, caretaker dropped it off live about 30 miles downriver.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Because when you are living a true subsistence lifestyle the loss of even a single animal can spell the difference between life and death. Unlike how the TV shows depict it, living such a lifestyle is a FULL TIME job so those people don't have time to spend days tracking down and humanely(?) killing such predators.
Sorry, but I still don't accept that. I would spend my time "fortressing" my animal shelters against predators.. Of course, its simply my opinion, but cruelty is cruelty and men are more vicious than most predators. Heck, a live trap (cage) with bait inside doesn't require anyone to be there 24/7, and you can humanely put the animal down once you catch one.

I think there are other options than vicious cruelty, and if it were me, I would explore them.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoWildcat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Adventurer

I've had luck on the 'yotes using smoked pork with my traps. How far do your dogs roam? It's possible you could set traps far enough away that it'd draw the coyotes away from your coop while keeping your dogs safe.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,388 Times in 3,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoWildcat View Post
Sorry, but I still don't accept that. I would spend my time "fortressing" my animal shelters against predators.. Of course, its simply my opinion, but cruelty is cruelty and men are more vicious than most predators. Heck, a live trap (cage) with bait inside doesn't require anyone to be there 24/7, and you can humanely put the animal down once you catch one.

I think there are other options than vicious cruelty, and if it were me, I would explore them.
I never said that reinforcing the pens wasn't called for or that if given the opportunity a cleaner kill shouldn't be attempted but when push-comes-to-shove in a TRUE subsistence lifestyle, expediency is going to win over humaneness every time. You also aren't going to catch a coyote/wolf/cougar/bear in a cage.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 4,227 Times in 1,666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

What we are proposing is no different then having a bunch of MBZ in the area and putting out a bunch of poisoned booz for them to find.

PostSHTF if it comes down to me and mine or them, there is no way it is going to be them. I am willing to do every dirty, nasty and cruel thing that I have have to do to make sure that I and those that I love and care for come out on top.

Some people on this board need to face the fact that when the SHTF the world as we know it now is likely to come to an end.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pawiscoming For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,026 Posts

They catch coyote and wild hog [the smaller younger ones] in live traps in FLA. In fact, they have some larger hog traps that work too.

I know someone who caught an alligator in a live trap [it had been baited with an eaten cooked chicken leg]. easy 4 footer, too. Know someone who catches feral/wild chickens with live traps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Florida Jean For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
I never said that reinforcing the pens wasn't called for or that if given the opportunity a cleaner kill shouldn't be attempted but when push-comes-to-shove in a TRUE subsistence lifestyle, expediency is going to win over humaneness every time. You also aren't going to catch a coyote/wolf/cougar/bear in a cage.
Of course you can catch one in a cage! People do it around here and these are the big eastern coyotes. Coywolfs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Padeen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Target Shooter

Some people on this board need to face the fact that when the SHTF the world as we know it now is likely to come to an end.[/QUOTE]

You mean IF SHTF. And that's a very big IF. Chances are it won't happen in our life time. It could, but probably won't. So until then, no hanging coyotes on hooks and any other weird shi*, ok?
Old 12-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 4,227 Times in 1,666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padeen View Post
Some people on this board need to face the fact that when the SHTF the world as we know it now is likely to come to an end.
You mean IF SHTF. And that's a very big IF. Chances are it won't happen in our life time. It could, but probably won't. So until then, no hanging coyotes on hooks and any other weird shi*, ok?[/QUOTE]

It has started already, I was there to see it happen, I barely survived the first attempt on my life 36 years ago, I will no longer take a knee.

I saw the change to what we are dealing with now as it was happening, I saw it for what it was and now is. The world as I knew it ended 36 years ago then again 31 years ago and has gotten worst every year since.

We are 24 hours or less from the end of the world as we all know it at any given time. With a stroke of a pin we can find ourselves living in the stone age.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,339 Times in 2,741 Posts

This argument is about how bad the future may be. I agree with Paw, I think there is a very good possibility that we could be living in the 1800s world or worse overnight. There are some who haven't accepted that possibility yet.

If it gets bad enough, if your kids are crying because they are hungry, then it will be time to forget about our civilized ideals.

Would I resort to some of the ideas expressed here today, no, I don't even like to resort to leghold traps. But if my grandkids are going hungry then I am prepared with THE KNOWLEDGE of how to use any and every method of keeping them fed. We would also probably EAT the coyote I caught with fishhooks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,560 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
...we are thinking creatures...
Not really.

Quote:
there is NO NEED to treat animals (or people for that matter) like that. Its abhorrent.

As it came up in this thread, there is a need to treat animals that way. Controlling their population so that our population can thrive. Would you prefer someone live like that guy, who may have to viciously kill some animals to maintain his lifestyle but which allows for lots of wild animals to live in the vicinity. Or would you rather he live like most people, in an urban area that doesn't need to viciously kill wild animals because wild animals don't exist there? I know which I think is the most cruel.
The Following User Says Thank You to zorost For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Shortly after I moved to the farm 2 years ago a coyote started picking off my chickens. He was able to steal 3 or 4 before I spotted him but was unable to get a shot off. The coyote wised up and took a break for a little bit. The recently he started coming back and stole several chickens.

In the past month a couple of possums killed two of my hens.

Unprepared for predators at bug out location - YouTube

In all honesty I am not prepared for dealing with predators. I have a couple of foothold traps but can not use them because I do not want my dogs getting caught in them.

I do not have a coyote call.

My AR-15 is setup with a red dot optic, which is not my ideal solution for 100+ yard shooting.

To fix all of this I have started stockpiling dog proof traps, going to order a coyote call and a 3x9-40 scope for my AR.

Stockpiling traps for SHTF - YouTube

For those of you who watch my youtube videos yall know chickens play an important roll in my long term shtf survival plans. Predators killing my chickens are interfering with my plans. I simply can not allow a coyote or possum to risk the future of my long term survival plans.

Lets say In the past 2 months I have lost about 6 chickens. 4 to a coyote and 2 to possums. Those 6 chickens may not sound like a big deal. Each chicken should lay at least 200 eggs a year.

That is an estimated 1,200 eggs a year 2 possums and a single coyote cost my family and I.
Learn to hunt and learn to get the proper varmint rifle scope combo,,,yu know what you lack all you have to do is to REVERSE the situation
Old 12-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorost View Post
Not really.

As it came up in this thread, there is a need to treat animals that way. Controlling their population so that our population can thrive. Would you prefer someone live like that guy, who may have to viciously kill some animals to maintain his lifestyle but which allows for lots of wild animals to live in the vicinity. Or would you rather he live like most people, in an urban area that doesn't need to viciously kill wild animals because wild animals don't exist there? I know which I think is the most cruel.

Horsesh$#t
Old 12-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,237 Times in 737 Posts

I grew up on a smallholding with up to 2,000 free range chickens. Initially we had some losses from predators, mainly foxes and feral dogs. Fencing was expensive and needed constant maintenence and was never 100% proof. We soon sought advice and our flock became much safer. We put 6 geese in with the chickens, stocked the feed hoppers at last light not first thing in the morning, trained the dogs to herd the chickens in at night and had 2 extra dogs.
The geese were great for protecting against daylight raids, they would go for anything yet left the chickens alone.
Feeding the chickens late in the day meant that the flock would all move down to their chicken houses in the evening without needing any encouragement. The dogs would just herd the broody ones who were laying out.
One of the extra dogs was trained as a 'Night' dog. He would sleep during the day and spent the night roaming around the perimeter as a guard. He was not a pet and regarded our land and all that was in it as his. The only time he would be awake in daylight was if my mother was on her own at home in which case he was her shadow at about 5 to 6 yards, enough distance to gain speed to 'hit' any threat. He did not bark or growl.
After the first year we had minimal losses to predators, less work for us and our mother was very safe despite being in an isolated place.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gavbar For This Useful Post: