Loose rate for new chicks - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
im no pro but the chicks sure like it! mKosel Knives, Swords & Axes 1 11-10-2013 06:55 AM
Revolution period tax rate vs current tax rate Jamesconn Financial Forum 25 09-26-2013 12:16 PM
Obama wants to make 28% corporate tax rate, 40% small business tax rate no_fair_fights Financial Forum 20 08-01-2013 02:23 PM
Chicks! Dixie Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 03-06-2012 04:06 PM
LA's crime rate dips to lowest rate in 50 years; homicides down more than 18 percent FXjohn Controversial News and Alternative Politics 49 01-17-2010 07:46 AM
To loose a horse for the lack of a shoe, to loose a shoe for the lack of a nail. Hick Industries Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 07-20-2009 01:09 AM
And now my chicks! bridgierapa Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 13 05-06-2009 10:43 PM

Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,164 Times in 7,823 Posts
Default Loose rate for new chicks

Advertise Here

When my wife and I bought our newest set of chicks last February we bought 6 of each breed, for a total of 24.

Out of that 24 we lost around 10 to various predators.

Looking across the flock this evening these are my estimated looses over the past month or so.

Barred Rock - 3
Buff Orpington - 2
Australorp - 3
Rhode Island Red - 3

My wife and I also have an Australorp rooster that is about 6 weeks old and 2 Rhode Island Reds that we bought with the rooster.

To go with losing the new chicks, my wife and I have lost 5 full grown hens in about 8 months. So the loose rate of the new chicks is much greater than the full grown hens.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Prepared

That seems high but I suppose it depends on your setup. I'd imagine most people have coops that prevent losses from predators
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,137 Posts

My wife and I have each gone out at least once each in the last ten days and seen a coyote not 50 feet from the chicken pen/coop. It's time to do a little predator hunting. I'm also planning on setting my live traps and re-locating any chicken eating varmints I catch. I've been lucky lately, haven't lost any in over a year.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Once whatever it is getting them, gets away with getting them, they'll keep coming back. We had a possum family last year, but we trapped and got them all and haven't lost any so far this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,164 Times in 7,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
Once whatever it is getting them, gets away with getting them, they'll keep coming back. We had a possum family last year, but we trapped and got them all and haven't lost any so far this year.
I know a hawk got a couple of the chickens.

There is a stray tomcat that has been hanging around.

Then the puppies killed a couple of chickens.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,828 Times in 3,382 Posts

Urinate around the coop and fence. It seems to work for me. I have not seen a raccoon near the coop in two years. I did catch a skunk, but that was more for the garden then the coop (I had made the mistake of burying crushed eggs under a few tomato plants to help with calcium... the skunk dug them all up).
Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 2,242 Times in 830 Posts

I always figure a loss at 10% with our neighborhood fox, raccoons, opossums, owls and maybe one of our kids stepping on one and squashing it. We bought 40 on April 22 and much to my surprise we haven't lost one yet due to sickness. I put them out in the chicken house today however because my wife was fed up with them stinking up the garage. I put a tarp all around the chicken house and put a heat lamp on them. So I'm hoping no one will get sick. Tomorrow till let them roam outside. I'll probably start losing some them.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,828 Times in 3,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
I always figure a loss at 10% with our neighborhood fox, raccoons, opossums, owls and maybe one of our kids stepping on one and squashing it. We bought 40 on April 22 and much to my surprise we haven't lost one yet due to sickness. I put them out in the chicken house today however because my wife was fed up with them stinking up the garage. I put a tarp all around the chicken house and put a heat lamp on them. So I'm hoping no one will get sick. Tomorrow till let them roam outside. I'll probably start losing some them.
I put 36 bigger little guys out in the coop two weeks ago. I lost one last week and this morning, appears both got trampled. I have around 100 smaller ones in the basement. I lost 4 of them last week when it got cold all of a sudden and they must have all huddled together, and these guys got trampled.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:54 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 2,242 Times in 830 Posts

I like to think one advantage we had this year than in the past was that we put vitamins in their water every time we had to re-fill. I noticed by doing this the little chickens seem more alert and have a healthier appetite.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Actias Luna

Thanked 14,553 Times in 3,248 Posts

I've lost my entire flock almost every year I've had chickens. Mink, raccoons, opossum, and hawks are all guilty. They are just doing what varmints are meant to do, but it sure gets frustrating. Having a creek running through our property while living 300 yards from a river makes for a steady stream of predators.

Keeping chickens has turned me colder, before them I would never have ran outside with a gun at 5 a.m. in order to deal death to a nosy raccoon or opossum.

The best advice I can give you is to surround your chicken enclosure with wooden posts laid around the bottom. We dug all around our old coop and sunk them in so nothing could dig under it. Then we used chicken wire to completely cover the top of the outer pen as well. If you do this and have a tight coop, you should see a drastic reduction in killings.

And one more tidbit for you; if you lock them up at night for 364 days but forget them on the 365th, something will kill them all on that one night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrysalis For This Useful Post: