Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best bug out vehicle or survival vehicle is ....the CJ or Wrangler series vehicles Sped Man Vehicles & Transportation 211 06-19-2019 09:57 PM
Bug out vehicle? Here's your bug out vehicle! Pictures and link. Pangea Vehicles & Transportation 13 01-17-2016 12:15 PM
Hey Rover Name General Discussion 12 11-08-2013 05:30 AM
Is vehicle RANGE important to you in your BUG OUT vehicle? bozar Vehicles & Transportation 64 10-28-2013 10:02 PM

Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 PM
أنا لست إرهابيا

Thanked 79,988 Times in 31,968 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsndesertrat View Post
I do hope you plan on washing it before bugging out.
Thats the last thing he should do -- "Oh look a nice clean car -- whats inside"

I had a chance to drive one -- a long time ago -- I liked it

Lucas electrics ?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 AM
Apprentice Geezer

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe
Like most stock/near stock SUVs expect it to go to the grocery store and haul kids pretty well but do not expect it to do significant off roading without at least more aggressive tires.
Does it have traction control, limited slip differentials or lockers?

Originally Posted by sojurn87
While the things you list are nice to have, they are not mandatory for off road capability.
Off road capability come in degrees; driving into a garage or parking lot is far different from driving an easy 4x4 trail which can be far different from driving a moderate to difficult trail. Different equipment will make significant off roading (NOT mall parking lots, nor mud puddles or semi-maintained trails) much easier on both driver and vehicle.

Significant off road travel, IMO involves the need for at least 4 wheel drive and at least more aggressive than stock street tires, IMO (based on much more than 20 years four wheeling).

Used vehicles differ in capabilities and equipment, I was trying to ascertain the degree of capability of the vehicle in the original post (apparently stock or near stock).
Having seen LRs off road on moderate trails, I was also trying to figure out why the OP would think his is significantly better than a Cherokee off road (seen many cherokees off road and my current street vehicle is a near stock Cherokee; for significant off roading I use a moderately well prepped Jeep CJ). If this rover has traction control, or not open differentials, the explanation is obvious.

In my experience there is nothing magical about the brand of vehicle (some just require more modification than others to do significant four wheeling) the driver, tires, suspension and drive train largely make the vehicle, IMO.

Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,173 Times in 596 Posts

Years ago one of my landscape bosses had a Land-rover with a wench to the front bumper. There was not one tree or stump that thing couldn't pull out of the ground. Toughest dang truck I ever saw. Nice find and good luck.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Apprentice Geezer

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,150 Posts

...wenches can be useful/enjoyable but I never saw one pull stumps (must have been corn fed/beefy).
... or do you mean a winch?

Enjoy!

Edit; Here are some mods (to rovers not wenchs) that the guys at fourwheeler recommend;
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...very-upgrades/
Scroll the the end of the article and click on load more or read full article.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,106 Times in 585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Lucas electrics ?
That's the old joke...

Why do brits drink warm beer?

- because Lucas made fridges too
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by infntryman86 View Post
offroad capability pretty good better than jeep Cherokee
Ups, are calling for getting flamed, do you?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,243 Times in 8,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
That's the old joke...

Why do brits drink warm beer?

- because Lucas made fridges too
That is too funny, I have an MGB and can't figure out how let alone why, the left rear lights (stop, turn and tail) are on one fuse while the right side is on another. I have been rewiring as needed to my own specs.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:43 PM
أنا لست إرهابيا

Thanked 79,988 Times in 31,968 Posts

You didnt clean out all that oil in the SU's -- did you ?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,243 Times in 8,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
You didnt clean out all that oil in the SU's -- did you ?
The floats in the SU's had disintegrated, rebuilt them and put in the proper amount of the proper oil. Have a really good local British automotive parts store. I still haven't driven it but down the rod and back, every time I get one thing fixed two more problems show up. If wasn't for the fact that it was free, I would have taken it to the scrap yard years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,495 Times in 790 Posts

Discos are brilliant vehicles when they work.

Full time 4WD and center locking differentials most model years. 45 degree lean due to their low center of gravity. Yes..despite their height the bulk of the weight is low to the ground thanks to a solid, heavy duty frame (gross weight approaches 3 tons). Land Rover also put the axle vents very high....behind the turn lamps in the back and near the wiper motor in the front and the air intake was smartly located in the wheel well in the void area created by the bumper when fording.

Don't forget the steep approach and departure angles and a well thought out torque band and gearing that work well together. No engine mods needed to do what it was intended to do.

These trucks were made for more than hauling Trevor and Ashley to soccer practice. That's just the image they had in North America. These trucks were sold the world over for serious use.

I had a Disco 2 and *when* it worked it was a wonderful machine. I was confident that it would go wherever I wanted. However, I wasn't so confident that it would always get me home.

I had to replace the oil pump at 50k, head gaskets at 60k, and random leaks and electrical faults on a regular basis. Eventually I gave up. Despite learning to do the bulk of the work myself (LR makes the best repair manuals in the business, gents) it was still one expensive beast to own.

There's a reason why the bulk of second hand Rovers begin appearing on the market not long after the warranty runs out. The out of warranty repairs and dealer service become too much. But so long as you're willing to learn the vehicle and can perform the work yourself there's plenty of support online to keep them going.

Although I don't have any plans on getting another Disco, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Defender or Series Rover. But what I really want is an old MB diesel G-Wagon.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 PM
In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by subvetssn View Post
Discos are brilliant vehicles when they work.

Full time 4WD and center locking differentials most model years. 45 degree lean due to their low center of gravity. Yes..despite their height the bulk of the weight is low to the ground thanks to a solid, heavy duty frame (gross weight approaches 3 tons). Land Rover also put the axle vents very high....behind the turn lamps in the back and near the wiper motor in the front and the air intake was smartly located in the wheel well in the void area created by the bumper when fording.

Don't forget the steep approach and departure angles and a well thought out torque band and gearing that work well together. No engine mods needed to do what it was intended to do.

These trucks were made for more than hauling Trevor and Ashley to soccer practice. That's just the image they had in North America. These trucks were sold the world over for serious use.

I had a Disco 2 and *when* it worked it was a wonderful machine. I was confident that it would go wherever I wanted. However, I wasn't so confident that it would always get me home.

I had to replace the oil pump at 50k, head gaskets at 60k, and random leaks and electrical faults on a regular basis. Eventually I gave up. Despite learning to do the bulk of the work myself (LR makes the best repair manuals in the business, gents) it was still one expensive beast to own.

There's a reason why the bulk of second hand Rovers begin appearing on the market not long after the warranty runs out. The out of warranty repairs and dealer service become too much. But so long as you're willing to learn the vehicle and can perform the work yourself there's plenty of support online to keep them going.

Although I don't have any plans on getting another Disco, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Defender or Series Rover. But what I really want is an old MB diesel G-Wagon.

Solid vehicle in and out. Granted, it's not a set it and forget it auto like the Toyota carolla is designed to be. These are higher maintenance trucks, but if you do the wrenching yourself you can save a ton of money over the long haul. Like Subvetssn mentioned they are real workhorses when they are healthy, Have you checked out www.discoweb.org ? A wealth of information there, including where to get the aftermarket parts to replace the ones most likely to fail. There are certain runs that are better than others (03 comes to mind being an off year for production quality).

I was dead set on getting a Disco after watching the Camel Trophy series when I was much younger, and I did a ton of research on the series II when I became ready for a "recreational vehicle". My research also showed that the soccer mom set has been the most vocal complainer on the web. The soccer mom set has no business driving a truck like this, it's far too intense a "utility" truck for them. You know what I'm talking about, they need a turnkey kid hauler, not a serious utility truck like a Disco.

I took a serious look at an 04 with a blown head gasket (that engine is famous for that) that was otherwise in mint condition. Was going to swap out the tranny and engine for a turbo diesel and do the recommended mods but life happened and it was sold before I made the move.

Anyhow I know you made a great choice, and soon you'll be pushing her though her paces in comfort, and with the style only a Discovery can offer.