75th Anniversary of D-Day---young people today ignorant about WWII - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 06-06-2019, 09:06 AM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 6,461 Times in 1,413 Posts
Default 75th Anniversary of D-Day---young people today ignorant about WWII

Advertise Here

Today is the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy.

The largest amphibious landing in history. The epic re-taking of a captive Europe from Nazi Germany after four years.

My brother teaches a business course at the state University. It's a course on doing business in overseas countries.

I just got done talking to him on the phone. My family had an uncle who was a WWII vet who was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge (he got the Purple Heart for it---but he never talked much about his wartime experiences).

My brother started asking his class this morning, some questions about World War II. And the ignorance of today's young people about this history is astounding.

Some examples:

Out of a class of 23 college students, only two could name a few of the major national leaders of the Allies in WWII.

Several students thought JFK was president when America was in the war.

One student insisted that World War II started "when the Chinese bombed Pearl Harbor".

Some thought Germany was our ally. And that we fought Russia.

None could name the years the war was fought. Most seemed to think it was sometime in the sixties.

They had some vague notions about D-Day. But no more than that "it was a big battle in Europe". One student thought it was an invasion of England.

Someone--please tell me WHAT THE HECK has happened to history education in this country?

When our young people--college students, no less---are totally clueless about the greatest conflict ever in human history?

Is this what nearly 50 million died for? A mere generation or two ago, and to be nearly completely forgotten?

Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,946 Times in 379 Posts

It's heartbreaking, for sure. When I was a Freshman in college, some of my classmates were not aware that we live in North America.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissFilthyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,613 Times in 456 Posts

This is because schools don't want to talk about the horrors of fascism and what it took to eradicate it.

Otherwise they'll see themselves and no longer vote Democrat.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,380 Times in 1,527 Posts

And from a prepping stand point how many of them know that we made nickels out of 35% silver for 3 years, because nickel was so valuable for the war effort. Canada made their coins out of nickel until the 80's. I'd have to look up the exact dates since the economy has been good enough the last few years that I haven't done any coin roll hunting, but in those types of forums I've talked with Canadians that measure their nickel in TONS just waiting for the next war to drive prices up.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFilthyPrepper View Post
It's heartbreaking, for sure. When I was a Freshman in college, some of my classmates were not aware that we live in North America.
I believe it. I actually worked with a woman in her early 30's that still couldn't be convinced the country we live in isn't Michigan, and thought Magellon (sp?) was a word made up for a shoe comercial.

The scariest part of that is that she home schooled her daughter after 7th grade, because the girl wasn't doing well in school. Yes she is even dumber than her mom.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,943 Times in 10,530 Posts

Becoming ancient history. I was surprised to see how many D-Day vets were able to attend the ceremonies honoring the 75th anniversary. They all had to be in their 90's (75 + 18 = 93) or more. Yet many were still able to travel and participate.

Eventually time buries all these old events and the only folks that care are historians and recreation fans. Some small things stay in vogue especially those kept alive by popular entertainment. But often distorted and completely wrong. such as Washington chopping down the cherry tree story. I can not tell a lie.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 33,517 Times in 8,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhll View Post
And the ignorance of today's young people about this history is astounding.
Years ago, I loved the TV show, Jeopardy. During UNIVERSITY WEEK (circa Feb, 2000), Alex read the answer..." It's the century in which the Vietnam war occurred", to which a University student answered..."What is the 17 century?"

Alex read another answer... "It's the primary ingredient in Cornflakes", to which another University student answered...."What is love?"

With that answer, Alex look like he was going to walk off the stage,

That did it for me. I NEVER watched that show again!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 12:30 PM
3 more years of this?

Thanked 4,885 Times in 1,590 Posts

I once knew a woman that asked me where I used to live and one of the places was Hawaii. She said "Oh thats down in the Caribbean" I said no Hawaii is in the Pacific Ocean. She argued with me saying I was wrong she said the maps shows it south of Texas thats in the Caribbean and proceeded to show me this map. Last I heard she was in some government job making financial decisions
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 PM

My stepdaughter (happened before i married her mother) was on the eighth grade,came home from school one day and asked her mother what all the hubub was about. This was around Sept 11th 2013 or so. She had not been been taught about the world trade center attacks in school. Her mother explained what happened and showed her several online articles about the events.

She went to school in Los Angeles.

My buddy in Tennessee, his daughter is about the same age. She knew about this stuff and was taught at school about it as well as at home from the time i met her.

Tell me that schools don't have an agenda based on what they want you to know or believe.

I've dated a woman that thought you could drive to Hawaii, when i told her there were no highways to get there, she said she would drive on the back roads.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tch1718a For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxak47 View Post
I once knew a woman that asked me where I used to live and one of the places was Hawaii. She said "Oh thats down in the Caribbean" I said no Hawaii is in the Pacific Ocean. She argued with me saying I was wrong she said the maps shows it south of Texas thats in the Caribbean and proceeded to show me this map. Last I heard she was in some government job making financial decisions
Well now we know why Alaska has oil. It's in the Gulf, might explain the rain forest too lol.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch1718a View Post
My stepdaughter (happened before i married her mother) was on the eighth grade,came home from school one day and asked her mother what all the hubub was about. This was around Sept 11th 2013 or so. She had not been been taught about the world trade center attacks in school. Her mother explained what happened and showed her several online articles about the events.

She went to school in Los Angeles.

My buddy in Tennessee, his daughter is about the same age. She knew about this stuff and was taught at school about it as well as at home from the time i met her.

Tell me that schools don't have an agenda based on what they want you to know or believe.

I've dated a woman that thought you could drive to Hawaii, when i told her there were no highways to get there, she said she would drive on the back roads.
Back when Russia invaded Georgia we had more than one person in the shop I worked at (of both sexes) wondering why we put up with them invading a US state and not attacking back.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,407 Times in 4,547 Posts

When I was in school, there were a number of us kids who's fathers were in the war. My history teacher was a veteran of the fighting in Europe.

Regardless, kids back then were just as dense. It's not systemic or intentional; many kids just aren't interested in history and are unable or interested in remembering key events, locations or names. It's just kids being kids.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to comdot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,682 Times in 10,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhll View Post
Someone--please tell me WHAT THE HECK has happened to history education in this country?
History education in this country been replaced with SJW indoctrination.

On my list of Intelliquests World's 100 Greatest Books is "The Decline of the West" by Oswald Spengler. It is one of the greatest books I ever read; clearly you are reading the mind of a genius. He talks about how nothing is more quintessentially philosophy than the study of history.

So, when I was younger, I looked at history through the prism of history's long bent toward justice and freedom. Then I realized in Spengler's book, Tytler cycle, "The Fate of Empires" by Sir John Glubb that Lord Acton's warning is true: those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it.

So, today schools do not teach how the Founding Father's advanced the cause of liberty more than any generation ever or the miraculous achievements and circumstances that lead to the birth of what Reagan called, the shining city on a hill from St Augustine. Instead they teach pop culture. More is written in history books today about Marilyn Monroe than George Washington. Hell, they do not even teach how we reckon time, why this is the year 2019.
  1. What is this year 2,019 years from?
  2. They certainly do not teach how America is a Christian nation,
  3. that Columbus was motivated by Islamic oppression and to spread Christianity in addition to economic freedom and prosperity,
  4. that the settlers on the Mayflower came here to escape totalitarianism in Europe,
  5. that religious freedom was the driver for all our freedoms.
  6. And they certainly do not teach American exceptionalism - properly.
And the entirety of the text is about identity politics, and the rise of 'social justice' which is just another form of communism. The last thing these indoctrinators want is for today's youth to understand the struggle that WWII was against totalitarianism and for freedom, specifically national sovereignty.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 30,726 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by comdot View Post
When I was in school, there were a number of us kids who's fathers were in the war. My history teacher was a veteran of the fighting in Europe.

Regardless, kids back then were just as dense. It's not systemic or intentional; many kids just aren't interested in history and are unable or interested in remembering key events, locations or names. It's just kids being kids.
We had a ww2 vet teaching math. I remember when someone asked him what we are ever going to use trig for.

I can still remember his response.
Ever see what artillery does to a man? You got to make sure the numbers are right.

I donít want imagine what that man saw.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Big-D For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 01:44 PM
Proud Crusader

Thanked 5,927 Times in 1,409 Posts

My great Uncle Hank, who passed in 1990, went ashore as a combat engineer on Utah beach. The Big Red "1".

Growing up, I was lucky to have had many Veterans in the family. My Uncle Hank was a very good man, among a family of good men. Something that seems to be in short supply in our country, as of late.

I miss him.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:45 PM
3 more years of this?

It also reminds me of my grandfather who was a Croatian miltia man during WW2 who I never asked about his time during the war until he was older. I noticed the 4 bullet holes in his back and he had a section missing from his calf from a dirty Nazi as he put it He and a few other farmers were the only men that held off Germans, Italians and anyone else that messed with them during that time, would raid their supplies at night and were considered "terrorists" by the enemy. He also mentioned the "Ustasha" which were as brutal as ISIS was. He said this "history" wasnt corrected until the 1990s when he went back to visit his sister after 45 years of living in the US. He was always troubled by the "facts" others had stated. I believed my grandfather over any history as he was a simple hardworking family man that came to this country, became naturalized, paid taxes and loved the United States for its freedoms.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 01:55 PM
Proud Crusader

Thanked 5,927 Times in 1,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxak47 View Post
I hope you are joking, friend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bound for glory For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 02:03 PM
3 more years of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound for glory View Post
I hope you are joking, friend.
No not one bit she argued that Hawaii was in the Caribbean because she seen it on a map like the one I posted. She also said since it was a island it HAS to be in the Caribbean....total ditz in my opinion
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to svxak47 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,255 Times in 1,388 Posts

My Uncle Jack died when his mine Sweeper struck a mine off Normande. They never found him. USS Tide.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spade For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-D View Post
We had a ww2 vet teaching math. I remember when someone asked him what we are ever going to use trig for.

I can still remember his response.
Ever see what artillery does to a man? You got to make sure the numbers are right.

I donít want imagine what that man saw.
You just dated yourself bud. My advanced math teacher was from 'Nam. He didn't talk about the war even when he missed a week and we found out later he was having issues because some shrapnel worked it's way out.

I remember someone asked him when we would ever need trig. He said "you never know what you need to know". He was right when after almost 20 years in the auto industry I went to a job in a carbide machine shop. Guess what? Machining is almost all trig and you have to be able to understand it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post: