TACDA-The American Civil Defense Association - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fed "Red Team Planner" lists results of civil war scenarios Bud General Discussion 52 03-15-2018 10:06 PM
US Abstains in UN Vote Against Israel PeterEnergy Political News and Discussion 568 02-13-2017 11:47 AM
2nd American Civil War Colt Manmade and Natural Disasters 506 02-05-2017 03:12 PM

Old 05-03-2019, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

Default TACDA-The American Civil Defense Association

Advertise Here

Hello Folks,

I wanted to let folks here know about an organization called TACDA-The American Civil Defense Association. They have been around since about 1968.
Perhaps some of you already are familiar with them. For those whom are not, you might find it interesting.

I did a search here for them, but found no thread hits.

I have been a paying member for about 20 years. I just found out they are now offering the memberships free of charge. This is great, as it provides free on-line access to it's bi-annual publication called the Journal of Civil Defense (e-journal) to everyone.

All back issues of the Journal are there to read or download, which is a good resource of information for all of us. They also have a section on their website called the TACDA Academy, which has many topics of interest of a educational nature. Shelters, EMP, food, medical, communications, etc.

I'm hoping it is not against forum rules to share this info here.
I am not providing the web address for TACDA in case it is. A quick web search and you will find it quite easily.

Disclaimer: I have no direct connection or interest in them other then I'm a member, just like I am here. I believe they are a non-profit organization, relying on donations to fund the organization and the Journal.
If this thread is a forum rule violation, I apologize in advance and understand if the moderators wish to remove this thread.

Again, I have no direct interest in TACDA, I just wanted to share info on what I think is a good organization that has much info all of us here may find helpful.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 07:36 PM

This has me interested; I've never heard of it before. Just tagging this in case anyone else comments.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Honyock

This looks like an online thing for making money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 08:21 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Randal View Post
I have been a paying member for about 20 years and I can attest to fact that making money has not been their priority. They do have an online store, but I have not used it due to their limited selection and high pricing. They used to offer a lot more items, but I think they realized thru the years that the internet offers more purchase options. I think the store is there as more of a convenience for the members.

If anything, they are shifting gears by now offering the free memberships and now relying more so on donations. I have always found their overall direction to be more of education and awareness.

They have been a relatively small organization for many years. They have had many notable folks write great articles, with some great information.

That said, I personally found some of the articles in the Journal to be somewhat self-serving, as I have found that the writer/author of some articles are business owners serving the preparedness market. I don't like that too much, but those folks do occasionally offer up some good info, albeit from their perspective.

I have found the older earlier issues of the Journal, (all the way back to the 1960's) to be a bit more useful, without the promo hype.

I give them a fair to good rating, as I personally see most of their efforts to be sincere.

By the way, I'm not here to promote them, I'm just sharing what I have found to be an organization with good additions to my reference library of info.

Gordon, no offense, but before you discount them, you may want to take a look at the TACDA Academy pages. Those pages seem to be a bit less self serving.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:50 PM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Randal View Post
It is totally free to access the online resources.

It is donation driven, with no obligation to donate.

It looks like a solid resource for beginner preppers.

Its a bit like a book on the basics of prepping, covering a wide variety of disaster prepping and civilian response to WMD attacks.

It references a bit into the ARC and APN stuff.

The materials are light and summative but people should know pretty much everything on the site before getting into more specific information on those topics.

Not so much the academy but the Journal offers more indepth topical commentary.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:22 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,870 Posts

I grew up in the 50s and 60s. I think this is probably an organization I remember that was active during the Cold War years. I believe my dad was a member. Members of the organization were to take charge of things in the event of a nuclear attack.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Just a tad bit insane

Interesting but more research is required.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:23 PM
Honyock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post
It is totally free to access the online resources.

It is donation driven, with no obligation to donate.

It looks like a solid resource for beginner preppers.

Its a bit like a book on the basics of prepping, covering a wide variety of disaster prepping and civilian response to WMD attacks.

It references a bit into the ARC and APN stuff.

The materials are light and summative but people should know pretty much everything on the site before getting into more specific information on those topics.

Not so much the academy but the Journal offers more indepth topical commentary.
Since it has been endorsed by Mr Ashley it must be the real deal. Everyone should immediately sign up!