Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monarch 9mm 115 Gr or .380 ACP 94 Gr 200 Rnds - $34.99 + Free Shipping apps47inc For Sale 0 01-15-2017 09:17 AM
Hi Point 9mm, .40 S&W & .45 ACP Carbines Roundup @ WikiArms wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 12-17-2016 10:42 AM
Hi Point 9mm, .40 S&W & .45 ACP Carbines Roundup @ WikiArms wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 11-14-2016 08:15 AM
Hi Point 9mm, .40 S&W & .45 ACP Carbines Roundup @ WikiArms wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 11-05-2016 09:26 AM
Hi Point 9mm, .40 S&W & .45 ACP Carbines Roundup @ WikiArms wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 10-18-2016 08:22 AM

Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,007 Times in 7,732 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
I'm just curious, since the .380 is such a pitiful weapon, and 6 rounds are just NOT enough....where are the studies or statistics or news reports showing that the guys with the .380's used in SD are getting robbed or blown away, dying with an empty gun, or even a partially empty gun, in their hands?

Outside of the police shootouts, gang wars, and the rare but over media reported mass shooters; none of which are technically Self Defense situations (unless someone with a gun stops the mass shooter, which is rare, as they pick their battle grounds)...how many SD "gunfights" have simply NOT ended in favor of the defender, due to "not enough gun"?

I'm not "saying" anything. Just asking. Because I'm not finding much of anything.
Out of curiosity, who would spend the time or care enough to gather and collect and store such information? Nobody in close enough proximity to know, has any vested interest to spend the resources.

However what we do know is the government pours money into researching ballistics. Few-to-none go with the .380. They favor the 9x19, .40, and some even the .45...

Some of you want to trust your lives to a .380, then go for it. I can see very rare circumstances, such as only able to carry a squirt gun sized gun, for anything as anemic as .380. I have a PT3AT for that role. It's almost never employed. My Bersa Thunder and Beretta 85 are both just as big as 9mm counterparts firing a far more capable round.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,374 Times in 9,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Freaking amazing!

Shoot the bad guy 14 times with a 45, several in the chest, several more in the head before he stops.
I don't believe 9mm is the solution. A hand grenade is the solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,331 Times in 18,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Freaking amazing!

Shoot the bad guy 14 times with a 45, several in the chest, several more in the head before he stops.
All (the 45-70 revolver I was offered in trade and similar not wirhstanding) pistols are underpowered.

That's why I don't understand wanting to go on the "low end" of what's already underpowered!?!?!?!????!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,683 Times in 5,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Freaking amazing!

I just read that article and every part of me wants to scream out BS! in bold capital letters.

Sorry, not buying it in the least.

Also liked the comment he now carries 145 rounds of ammo. I know for a fact talking with some of the agencies here they are limited on how much ammo they can carry. More than a couple limit the officers to 65 rounds. Of course anything in the Chicago area is a war zone so I can see why that officer may be carrying more.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,331 Times in 18,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
I just read that article and every part of me wants to scream out BS! in bold capital letters.

Also liked the comment he now carries 145 rounds of ammo. I know for a fact talking with some of the agencies here they are limited on how much ammo they can carry. More than a couple limit the officers to 65 rounds. Of course anything in the Chicago area is a war zone so I can see why that officer may be carrying more.
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-massad-ayoob/

Note the last one.... 65 yards.
Doo that with your pocket .380?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post

Far more agencies have no limit. I personally carry 4 G17 mags with +6 extenders on them, plus one in the chamber, plus 20 more in a backup gun.
Total of 113 rounds on my body at all times. Because everyone I know that has been in a gunfight worries far more about how many rounds they have, than what caliber of rounds they have.

If you think Tim's shooting is BS, look at Jared Reston's, Peter Soulis's, or the Sikh Temple shooting. Handgun rounds suck for reliably stopping determined attackers. Doesn't matter if they start with a "4" or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,683 Times in 5,688 Posts

Wish I still had my S&W M39. I miss that pistol.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-massad-ayoob/

Note the last one.... 65 yards.
Doo that with your pocket .380?
I'll raise you this :

1-handed, holding the reins of two horses, pre-dawn...104 yds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/austin-cops-sure-shot-stopped-crazed-gunman.amp
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2019, 11:30 PM

anyone who "thinks" that factory 380 ammo is sufficient, is quite ignorant of the facts. If a 380 stops him, a .22lr would have done so, too. Shooting a few animals with the 380 will convince you of this fact of life. They just run off. However, the same is true with .45 ball ammo. So, if you want to settle for such performance, ok, but the Kahr CM9 and Sig P938 work fine in Kydex rigs in the front pants pocket, as long as you dont wear scrotum-hugging jeans. They offer 1400 fps with the Corbon 90 gr plus P jhp, 400 ft lbs per hit and are considerably more controlable in rapidfire than any 357 snubbie. This is especially true of the cocked and locked Sig, but the thumbsafety lever badly needs re-designing, to make it usable like a 1911 speed safety.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:04 PM

I was the one who started this discussion. Thanks for all the input. I finally found time to take my Sig s365 9mm to the range and put about 150 rounds downrange. With the extended magazine it's fairly easy to control and shoots well. With the regular mag my pinkie hangs off the grip making it a bit difficult to control but still not bad. The pistol fits easily into loose jeans or shorts and is essentially invisible. I bought a small pocket holster because this pistol doesn't have a safety and I'd hate to blow my nuts off because I was careless and put my keys in the same pocket as my gun.

For those arguing over the effectiveness of different calibers you might want to take a look at the Ellifritz study which is summarized here:

https://flicense.blogspot.com/2014/0...ellifritx.html
Old 03-31-2019, 05:31 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,007 Times in 7,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post
I was the one who started this discussion. Thanks for all the input. I finally found time to take my Sig s365 9mm to the range and put about 150 rounds downrange. With the extended magazine it's fairly easy to control and shoots well. With the regular mag my pinkie hangs off the grip making it a bit difficult to control but still not bad. The pistol fits easily into loose jeans or shorts and is essentially invisible. I bought a small pocket holster because this pistol doesn't have a safety and I'd hate to blow my nuts off because I was careless and put my keys in the same pocket as my gun.

For those arguing over the effectiveness of different calibers you might want to take a look at the Ellifritz study which is summarized here:

https://flicense.blogspot.com/2014/0...ellifritx.html
I looked at those raw stats for 5 minutes and the guy wasted 10 years of his life. The raw stats don't make any sense. Nor do they account for skill levels of the shooter. Generally more experienced shooters will use the larger caliber guns cited. The stats don't comport when compared to the other guns.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,757 Times in 2,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed70 View Post
I'll raise you this :

1-handed, holding the reins of two horses, pre-dawn...104 yds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...zed-gunman.amp
Call and I raise you.

Massive internal wounds from 9mm at a 1000 yards. It didn't survive.