Electrical Tech Support pleaze - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modern Minuteman - a "theoretical" discussion Grevlin General Discussion 3578 07-09-2019 03:32 PM
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1010 06-26-2019 08:47 PM
Support Your Local Sheriff AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-27-2017 06:30 PM
We at Camera Land appreciate your support, and want to thank you with SPECIAL $$ gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 11-25-2016 01:18 PM
Hillary Clinton¯s pollster Benenson Strategy Group says she is tanking; Trump support Watchingtheweasels Political News and Discussion 50 10-30-2016 06:58 PM

Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,682 Times in 794 Posts
Default Electrical Tech Support pleaze

Advertise Here

Room of 4 outlets dont work, i changed the outlets still dont work. The other room outlets do work. Its not a breaker or CGFI plug. One light swich near the outlets that are out work..
I'm not sure where to find the problem now, any new suggestions?
I'm starting to go in circles scratching my head.
Thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,177 Times in 7,130 Posts

Some kinda like attic time. The circuit that feeds that light switch is likely on the same breaker. Get in the attic and find the wires where they come out of the wall and trace them back toward the breaker box. It is possible you had rats or squirrels and they chewed through the romex/wire that feeds those plugs. I had that happen at my place.

Are they gfi plugs?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 06:32 PM
GO Dawgs

Thanked 1,398 Times in 678 Posts

Pull the switch out and check for taps in the box,it could be a loose wire nut or stab locks on the switch where the wire plugs into.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to divinginn For This Useful Post:

Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Hunter

I changed all four dead outlets. No attic, craw space under home, cant see crappies its got insulation and black plastic all up under the floor.
Everything else in the home works.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:00 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 61,025 Times in 18,835 Posts

I had a similar mystery. The outlets in the master bath quit working. The one with the GFCI reset/test button seemed OK, Replaced it and still didn't work.

Turns out one of the upstairs bathroom outlets that I never used, tripped. and somehow, that was part of the circuit downstairs. I had to hire an electrician. Hangs head in shame.

I never would have thought to look all the way up there for the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,177 Times in 7,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
I had a similar mystery. The outlets in the master bath quit working. The one with the GFCI reset/test button seemed OK, Replaced it and still didn't work.

Turns out one of the upstairs bathroom outlets that I never used, tripped. and somehow, that was part of the circuit downstairs. I had to hire an electrician. Hangs head in shame.

Yeah, the way they wire homes these days is insane. I've got a similar set up in the kitchen. There's a gfi plug in the garage that several outlets in the kitchen are wire to. If it trips, I loose the plugs in the kitchen (and they are gfi as well). I swear the electricians never heard of junction boxes (which you can also tap off of if need be). Using light switch and plug boxes as J boxes is not the right way to do things.

The only way I ever found it was to reset every gfi in the house.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Hunter

I have 3 cgfi plugs 1 in kitchen, 1 in each bathroom. It is a one story. Everything works in every room, i tested and checked about 7 outlets and the cgfi are working. So i replaced the 4 that didnt work. Nothing, still dont work. Everything else tests okay. Still 4 dont work.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2 View Post
I have 3 cgfi plugs 1 in kitchen, 1 in each bathroom. It is a one story. Everything works in every room, i tested and checked about 7 outlets and the cgfi are working. So i replaced the 4 that didnt work. Nothing, still dont work. Everything else tests okay. Still 4 dont work.
it's the one you didn't find yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,829 Times in 2,160 Posts

Check the working plugs on the same circuit breaker as well, should be more than 4. The wallplug that leads those 4 could have had a wire pull out and it still work, and affect those down line. Sometimes they use the quick stabs and not the screws and I have seen those pull out or fail if hot, the screw could even have been weenie tightened and come off.

Trace tickers can be used to as well to find the fault.

Good luck

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,143 Posts

Breakers can fail. They can appear ON but be OFF and not reset by turning off and then back on. There has been a big problem with counterfeit sub-standard breakers being used.

A GFCI can also go bad, although most newer ones will have an indicator light that lets you know if it is powered up or not. GFCI's can be located in other areas of the house. They are expensive and electricians try and stretch the code as much as possible by using as few GFCI's as they can with as many outlets as they can. I think the code should be changed to require that the GFCI only supplies other outlets in the same room.

Rats or squirrels can chew wires in attics, crawl spaces and even walls. Wiring can also be damaged by close lightning strikes. I had a house several years ago where lightning came in through a metal cold-water pipe in the kitchen, jumped a few inches to romex feeding an outlet and burnt it in two. Also, my neighbor's house lost several outlets and I found a similar burn-through in the attic above the garage. Lightning passed from the bolts holding the metal garage-door rails to the ceiling joists and burned a wire up there.

If you are unable to find any GFCIs that are tripped, breakers that are tripped, or wire damage, you can run a 3-wire extension cord from a known good outlet to one of the bad ones. Using a volt meter, measure from hot on the extension cord to ground and neutral on the bad outlet to see if they are present. Also, check hot from bad outlet to ground and neutral on extension cord. That will tell you if you have an open hot or neutral causing the outlets to not work.

Please be careful, and call an electrician if this seems to complicated or you are unsure of what you are doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 09:19 PM
Hunter

Maybe i should replace my cgfi plugs too, they have a button but no light..

Thanks for the advice, if yall have any input dont wait just post it. I will see it, even if i dont respond right away i appreciate sny extra positive tips.
Unlike.. use a fork and see if you get a shock. I have been stressin' i dont have the extra funds for a real electrician. . I was trained in matinance years ago, i am sure i need a refreasher course
Old 04-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Hiker

I'd vote for a bad CB. I've probably replaced fifty at work that look fine but won't reset. Cheap and easy to buy another one. If you're lucky the electrician might have left an unused spare or two in the box.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 PM

Did you look out in the garage and such places? My stupid garage GFCI plug controls all the outside outlets by the doors. Very far away. I also found one light switch that the bulb was always going out on. Finally I noticed the switch was warm. the idiot electrician never tightened the screws holding the wires on, so poor contact made the switch get hot.

I'm sure it was a licensed illegal alien that wired up my house.
SOme breakers also have a GFCI reset switch right on the breaker lever. And I've been told sometimes you just have to cycle EVERYTHING to get them to reset.

Another possiblity is you have a water leak in the wall somewhere, causing the GFCI to trip for a real reason.

The tick tracer comment is also helpful sometimes.

I've never had a breaker go bad, but I hear they do. ALso I got a recall notice one time on a previous house that some blue handled breakers were failing open and needed to be replaced. So I was supposed to find any blue breakers and get them swapped out.

Sometimes fire ants will get into the breaker box and short it out with their bodies. They are attracted to electricity for some reason.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,478 Times in 4,070 Posts

I'm still here is probably correct. They loop from one outlet to the next and often, the outgoing wire(s) pull out or break from the supply outlet, leaving it working but killing the next ones. Find the closest outlet in the next room heading towards the breaker box and check the wires.

What have you got to lose?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cabinet Maker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 09:39 PM

Checked Youtube.
Interesting problem found. the little break away tab burned open and disabled the circuit that was fed from the other half of the outlet.
they shouldn't be allowed to wire like this, but there is another thing to check.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,344 Times in 691 Posts

In calif untill 2003 they allowed contractors to hire illegals to wire up homes and only needed a skilled electrician to do a final check.

There was also a problem for years of aluminum wiring in older homes.
https://inspectapedia.com/aluminum/A...ng_Hazards.php

In some homes and motor homes you will find gray Polybutylene plastic water lines. they are also a problem as they are c##p and will start to leak in about 15 years. and if you look at the fitting around these homes and see i white deposit around the fitting they are already leaking and the deposit is minerals from the water

If you are inspecting a home look for both these.

Depending on the area of the US these are a reason to drop your bid on the home by 10 to 15% to cover future repairs.

Surprising in many states if homes have ether of these and you tell the sellers they must tell anyone else that is putting in a bid.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:10 AM
begger of beer

Just changing devices is not a good plan. You need to be using a meter. Check if you are getting power out of the breaker. Check continuity in the wires. No point in spending money on parts until you figure out what and where the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2 View Post
Maybe i should replace my cgfi plugs too, they have a button but no light..

Thanks for the advice, if yall have any input dont wait just post it. I will see it, even if i dont respond right away i appreciate sny extra positive tips.
Unlike.. use a fork and see if you get a shock. I have been stressin' i dont have the extra funds for a real electrician. . I was trained in matinance years ago, i am sure i need a refreasher course
Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,046 Times in 587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post

Same here.

One 15A circuit for all 3 bathrooms, breaker to GFCI outlet in the master, then to 3 downstream outlets.

The nearly 30 year old GFCI outlet failed recently.

Replaced it with a new one (has the LED that lights up green when properly wired) but couldn't get it to reset.

Turns out the "load" and "line" wires were backwards on the original (no LED) GFCI outlet.

Once I switched them around everything was fine.

I've also encountered many backwards-wired hot and neutral connections over the years.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Wer sind da Gehirnpolizei

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillHere View Post
Check the working plugs on the same circuit breaker as well, should be more than 4. The wallplug that leads those 4 could have had a wire pull out and it still work, and affect those down line. Sometimes they use the quick stabs and not the screws and I have seen those pull out or fail if hot, the screw could even have been weenie tightened and come off.

Trace tickers can be used to as well to find the fault.

Good luck

I never use the "back stabbing" method in the picture, I always wrap the wire around the screws and tighten down. There are some outlets and switches where the screws clamp a back stabbed wire and those are OK, but spring tension alone is poor practice. They will overheat and fail.

One winter, my wife had a small 1100 W electric heater running in the garage. Our TV was acting up and I happened to measure voltage at the TV and other outlets in the LR. The TV was nearest the garage and very low voltage , as I checked the other outlets, closer to the panel, they were slightly higher. The outlets were also noticibly warm. This was newer construction home . Changing from back stabbed to screwed down wiring fixed the problem.

In my current home, I found one in a bedroom where the wire insulation was actually charred, I think a heater had been plugged in. In my opinion the NEC and NFPA should ban those type of fixtures.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post: