Danger! Have you ever had to defend yourself in the wild? - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
foraging and wild edibles Terasec Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 12-05-2016 11:58 AM
Driver pulls gun to defend from DAPL mob Colt General Discussion 63 11-16-2016 05:47 AM
Death threats against Trump---how serious is the danger? zooeyhll Political News and Discussion 44 11-12-2016 11:34 PM

Old 01-07-2017, 09:35 PM

Advertise Here

My wife and I have a really good mushroom patch that we go to every year, last year I was down the ridge pretty far from her and I watched two guys walk to where she was. They had no idea I was behind them when one guy started making comments about a lady in the woods by herself. I'm sure they were just being dumb but one made a comment about how funny it would be to see on the news about someone getting robbed and raped over mushrooms. I stepped out behind them with my hand on my 45 and said that it would be pretty funny to find two guys shot over mushrooms. I haven't seen two people climb up the ridge so fast ever. I never go unarmed in the woods regardless of the place.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Farmerdan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 10:55 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Encounters with wildlife are to be expected. Experiences like Farmerdan's are creepy in a whole different way. i have had about three of those and they make a long lasting impression. Some people think they can act like jerks when there is no one around to stop them.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Prepared

Nope.

Had a close encounter with a black bear one night when it came up to sniff the tent. It woke me up and was only about 8 inches from my head. Sounded like a vacuum cleaner and put one heck of a large shadow on the tent.

Scared me half to death but wasn't aggressive, there wasn't anything in the tent that it wanted. Did find a candy wrapper that had been left out and didn't make it up into the trees, but that and some good sized tracks was all we found in the morning.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:19 AM
I love this forum

In 1955, I was camped in Yellowstone with my family in a canvas tent. In those days the bears were fed all the time and habituated to people. Big black shadows of bears went by on the canvas all night long like a kid's worst nightmare. The next day my Dad got up and strapped on an old .38. We followed the biggest tracks and my eyes got really big. Looking back on it, that was the day I became entranced by the outdoors and decided to become a forester.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,129 Times in 646 Posts

I went camping in northern Israel one time, only me, myself and my dog. I was in a remote enough forest that I thought no one would bother me - so at the end of the day I put up my tent, drank my one beer and went sleepy sleepy.

I awoke in the middle of the night with my dog barking like crazy. It's a very protective dog that never allows ANYONE but me near the campsite, and usually even a few barks from him is enough to deter the would be visitor. The fact that he was barking non stop meant something was out of the ordinary.

I climbed out of the tent in the middle of the forest and I saw people walking around the tent at various distances with flashlights, as if searching for something. CRAP! I'm about to be in the papers tomorrow, a'nt I?

I grabbed my knife and snuck towards some of them, hoping and praying to our dark lord Lucifer that they would be speaking Hebrew, not Arabic. (No, I wasn't going to stealth-kill them all skyrim style, I just wanted to see if they were... uhm... potentially hostile, and the knife was a sort of a safety net for just in case.) The dark lord was not on my side that night, they spoke Arabic. They were muslims. (Before anyone accuses me of being racist - it's Israel, and it's better being safe than sorry... i mean... than being lynched.)

So there was me - all alone in the forest, with only my knife and my dog, surrounded by an entire god-damn tribe of them, and my stupid dog kept making noise and simultaneously attracting AND aggrivating them. Damn mut.

I dashed back to the tent, trying to calculate wether it'd be worth it to pack it up or should I just make a dash for it? Me being a jew, I risked my hide rather to ditch something that was worth money, and decided to pack my tent\stove\whatever and then head out. At some point one of the arabs came really close to the tent, but the dog chased him off. I heard him shout something in Arabic to his friends and some of them shouted something back. I never packed a tent so quick in my entire life.

I remembered the general direction to where I parked my car, couple of hours away. This was going to be a crazy hike - I dared not to turn on my flashlight or anything that might give me away, so I hiked in the dark, stumbling around roots and trees and what not.

Several hours later, both me and the dog (somehow) reached my car and we drove away.

And the best part? The tent was unharmed.

My wife totally made fun of me for running away like a sissy but... hey... atleast I wasn't killed, right? (Evil woman!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadExample For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 AM
I love this forum

When in doubt bug out.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:25 PM

Oh lets see,
Years ago in the adirondak mts (northern NY) had a black bear come into my camp in the middle of the night, shot at it with M1 carbine and it left.
A year or two later was camping with group of people and one guy had a large tree limb fall on him during the night (don't know if trees count, it was a "wild" tree) he was OK just bruised up and shaken.
Some years later, had some large salamanders enter camp site during the night, scared a girl and my dog. My dog, god rest his soul, ate one and became sick, no that aint what killed him, old age did. he just got sick. the salamanders were otherwise peaceful, but according to the frightened girl, they look like snakes in the dark.
while backpacking in Georgia, a large green insect entered a trail (AT) side shelter and caused a stir, I believe it was called a Katydid...
while camping/trekking on the gulf coast in florida near pensicola, raccoons attacked a cooler that I happened to have our tent guy line attached to in the middle of the night, scaring my wife. when we woke and went out, they took off.
No other problems
Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 AM
I love this forum

Who defends themselves from salamanders, insects, and raccoons?
You have seen one bear and you shot at it??
Learn to control your fear.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,129 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Who defends themselves from salamanders, insects, and raccoons?
You have seen one bear and you shot at it??
Learn to control your fear.

Unholy Satan! I can't believe it but I'm agreeing with Ppine.

The end is nigh...
Old 01-31-2017, 01:07 PM

I have had four fairly difficult experiences.
I was attacked by a mountain lion while elk hunting. I was about 12 yards from it when it left the ground in a jump to land on me. I shot it through the neck with my bow. It took me about 30 minutes to find it, about 75 yards away stone dead. Arrow went right through the neck bone. Ate mountain lion heart that night. Tasty...

We were elk hunting in the edge of the Idaho Primitive Area. Second night in camp, a pack of wolves came in about 0200hrs and tried to hamstring our horses. We were up all night keeping them off. They were very sneaky, and kept trying to edge in and get to the horses from behind, sideways, etc. We never got a shot, although we tried for hours.
No wolves died in the making of this story...wish they all had...

I was up close and personal with a black bear. Very close, point blank range. .45ACP to the head, several times. It was very exciting. Ate bear that night...tasty.

I was in Alaska, with one daughter and my youngest son. We were fishing Salmon on a local river. We had 6 on the bank, and a local brown bear came up the river to drive us off our fish. We backed through the river to the other shore, and let him eat them. He ate all 6, then ran across the river for us, for more. To make a long story short, and less involved...I drew a line in the sand with my mind. When he crosses that line, about 10yards away, I will drop him. I had a .45-70 lever action. As he ran up he got to the line, and just inches before it, turned and ran away. No salmon that night, no bear, and very glad to get home. Bear measured 7 1/2 feet nose to tail the next day when he repeated his aggressive behavior to a friend of mine who flattened it with a 416 Taylor. He texted me and said "416 is final"... He was a decent bear, nothing huge. That was close enough for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedElk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 04:01 PM
I love this forum

Thanks to RedElk for his post.
Sometimes it is really hard to avoid killing them.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,485 Times in 8,180 Posts

plovers.
https://youtu.be/maqPyMoYp3M
Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 AM
I love this forum

RedElk,
Thinking back on it now, what could you have done differently to get out of those situations without killing the animals showing aggression?
Old 02-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,566 Times in 2,511 Posts

I've had a number of bear encounters with no serious repercussions but I have been charged twice by bears (both grizzlys) and one is dead. Shot in the chest at about 15 feet with a .338. The other one just took my lunch (and was welcome to it). A number of close encounters with copperheads and rattlesnakes but nothing too exciting but one copperhead did brush my boot with it's raised head as I walked over it in the dusk one evening from a bow hunt. It was too dark to identify so I picked it up with my bow and carried it back to my car with me (looped the bowstring around it's body and held it to the bow). When I took a look at it in my headlights, I realized it was a copperhead and my hackles rose and I could feel the chill go down my back. I put it in a plastic bag that I carried for deer liver (always the optimist) and set the bag on the back seat of my station wagon. Every now and then (it was about an hours drive) I'd turn on the dome light and look back to see if was still in the bag. Every time I looked back, that damn snake was staring at me with pure reptilian malevolence through that plastic bag and another chill would run up my back. The next day I had it in a large (gallon) jar and showed it to my neighbor. He was a biology teacher and wanted it for his collection so he killed it and preserved it in formaldehyde

The one that startled me the most was a mother grouse with tiny chicks that charged and thumped me on the side of my calf when I was walking alone on a mountain trail in Colorado. I had no idea it was there until it hit my leg. You'da thought it was a grizzly the way I jumped.

The people who mentioned some of the wildlife that live in our cities are certainly correct. I can walk in the wildest woods and never really feel uneasy the way I do when driving through certain cities even in the safety of my car.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Hiker

Many years back as a young boy, I came face to face with a wolverine as big as me. It was on a tarp in my uncles garage. It charged one of my cousins, my uncle hit it with a 7rm 3 times, thing still made it the 100 yds to flop at cousins feet.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Hiker

Does underwater count?
I was attacked by a pretty good sized green eel off the coast of Cozumel Mexico years ago. All I have was a big knife as a weapon, but there wasn't even time to draw that. I turned and kept my long flippers in between us and kicked him off repeatedly until he decided to give up. Not sure what ticked him off to begin with, but there were a lot of tourists around that day.

AA
The Following User Says Thank You to Armed in Alpharetta For This Useful Post: