Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building A Prepping Library AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 5 02-01-2018 07:19 PM
Smith & Wesson Fire Striker With Survival Kit (SWFS1) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-21-2016 10:14 AM

Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthedog View Post
Who else spends more time at risk of a true wilderness survival scenario? Are hunters inherently the best wilderness survivalists?
I would also say yes to a varying degree. If a hunter say lives in the woods then I guess this could be true. I hunt every year sincwe I can remember. I never remember a time I didnt hunt. I have graduated to different degrees of hunting. I no longer hunt over feeders or in box blinds. I prefer a style that requires getting deeper into the woods and closer to nature. I only hunt bucks and only through tracking and scrapes. I do not hunt over food. I do feed on our land but do not hunt over it as I let my children do that. Selectively.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,169 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycosteve View Post
Made the mistake of trying to hunt on public land for the first time last time. I'm prone and have a deer about 50 yards yards out and im looking to see what is beyond the deer and a shot lands 3 feet away from me. I said eff it walked back to my car and decided I'm not meant to be a hunter. I figured i could be a hunter or a survivor but not both at that time.
Deer hunting on public land is not optimal. Hunt for something else on public land and save deer hunting for private land. If you do hunt public land, the key is go DEEP into the woods.

I can tell when I am near an easily-accessible part of public land, because there are NO animals. Over hunted ridiculously. Gotta spend 45 minutes walking in any direction from the parking area and then you will find wildlife and privacy.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,451 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalFarmer View Post
Deer hunting on public land is not optimal. Hunt for something else on public land and save deer hunting for private land. If you do hunt public land, the key is go DEEP into the woods.

I can tell when I am near an easily-accessible part of public land, because there are NO animals. Over hunted ridiculously. Gotta spend 45 minutes walking in any direction from the parking area and then you will find wildlife and privacy.
That works back east. In the west the vast majority of the land is public so just as you mentioned, you have to go travel to get away from the bulk of the people. I have friends that really go extreme getting back into areas where there aren't humans for miles and miles. Big thumbs up to them for being that tough and adventurous.

psycosteve, what were you wearing at the time?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,519 Times in 1,951 Posts

How many hunters do you know get more that 15 minutes from the road? While many hunters have more a knowledge of the woods that average people, they still have a lot to learn. How many people can establish north without a compass or GPS? How many can start a fire in the rain? How many are carrying a day pack which is 15# too heavy? When I meet a hunter in the woods, I look at his knife. If it has a blade over 6" long, he does not know squat.
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,503 Posts

I'm a retired IT type guy. I hear what you say. You wouldn't believe the amazement and awe I saw when I talked to other computer weenies about going solo, even just a few miles into wilderness. Many are out of breath just walking in from the parking lot and have more medical conditions than you can count.

Don't think it has anything to do with being an alpha male. I had no interest in joining management.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,503 Posts

Well... there are a lot of hunters who do just that and a smaller number who do it right. The deeper you go the fewer incompetents you meet.

Unless they are lost...
Old 01-13-2017, 06:14 PM

Fishing is the key to survival, if there is a creek, pond or lake I can feed my whole crew for a day in a couple hours. Growing up hunting has meant camping and that has taught me to be able to survive outdoors.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,363 Posts

Are hunters best at wilderness survival??? Maybe...and maybe not.

If they practice survival skills then they have a good head start.

I have met hikers that practiced survival skills and fished but they viewed hunting low on their priority list. They focused a lot on edible vegetation and such. I learned a thing or tow from them.

I have seen 'hunters' who's idea it is to hunt over bait...but I don't think that qualifies them as a hunter with survivalist skills.

IMO, the best survuivalist is a community of survivalist with varying skills.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:12 AM

When I posted the question, I most certainly did not mean to include, what I am going to class as road hunters, hunters who travel no more than 10 clicks to get to the stand, private agriculture land hunters...If you don't need to pack a back up shelter system in case **** hits the fan then that hunter should not be included in the situation...
Old 01-25-2017, 05:49 AM
Outdoor Life is Good

Getting food is part of wilderness survival, if you can't hunt fish trap or forage your going to die. Shelter, water, and food.