Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"HELP"....me build realistic scare'crow decoy people. 6.8SPC General Discussion 24 07-17-2015 05:33 PM
General "We helped build Isis" KRINKOV762 General Discussion 39 05-26-2015 08:46 PM
Let's build "Patriot Bundles" and do a cost comparison. subvetssn Firearms General Discussion 23 03-08-2014 11:26 PM
BOL - Buy "complete" or start with land and build? Meyer Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 10-25-2013 09:13 PM
HOW TO? Build a metal/steel target for a Range? "9mm to 5.56" Please help. ROMAK47 Firearms General Discussion 8 04-06-2012 09:48 AM
Russia's Putin says wants to build "Eurasian Union" prepperintraining Political News and Discussion 5 10-04-2011 09:26 AM
Has anybody read "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" ShellbackBill Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 07-08-2011 08:45 PM
Feds ready to build "virtual fence" along border jarhead101 General Discussion 11 05-13-2009 10:03 AM
"To Build a Fire" Jack London daibutsu Books, Movies & Stories 4 11-28-2008 08:48 PM
N. Korea says it will build a "Defense Network." Duncan General Discussion 6 06-18-2007 12:54 AM

Old 09-08-2015, 11:14 PM

Default "Faircane" Buy Or Build?

Advertise Here

The famed W E Fairbairn, Shanghai police Riot Squad founder, CQC trainer to the SOE & OSS in WW II, co-designer of the classic SAS Fairbairn-Sykes Commando Knife, also designed a swagger stick. Sometimes it was known as the "Faircane". It was 22.5" in length, constructed of stacked leather washers on a steel rod core. The end was 2.5" of semi sharp steel point. The pommel was usually a barrel shaped brass affair. Just below the pommel was the handgrip, built-up to mimic a FS Commando Knife handle, with a built-in leather wrist lanyard. A Google search will yield pictures. I've tried to buy one at auction sites, without success. So the question is, does anyone know anyone who, for a price, will build me one or more. Perhaps even a lengthened one to be an actual walking stick? Thanx in advance for your advice.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015, 11:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,990 Posts

That sounds like a good project..you've got me wanting to try that one myself!
The Following User Says Thank You to jojo64155 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 11:58 PM

JoJo, do you have the skills & time. Perhaps we could partner-up on this project? Send me a PM if you are so inclined.
The Following User Says Thank You to acropolis5 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,990 Posts

a pm has been sent
Old 12-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Target Shooter

You would have to make sure the rod is either flexable or thick, too thin of a non-flexable rod may bend and stay bent after hard use.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:41 PM

I get the impression the OP has never handled an original. They were never really intended for use as a weapon; use in a striking or stabbing manner would likely cause serious damage to the stick.

I've had the opportunity to disassemble an original, and have made a couple of copies. The design (solid metal core surrounded by leather washers) doesn't really lend itself well for use as a walking stick; too much inherent flex in a rod of that diameter/length. You'd probably have to go to a tubular core. Actually,when I think about it, that would probably be the way to go if you wanted a copy of the original for use as a weapon.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:04 PM

Habu: you are correct, I've never actually handled a Faircane. My knowledge is from books and articles, as well as sme old pictures. However, there was a very informative article, which I still have, in the Spring 1992, Fighting Knives Magazine, authored by LeRoy Thompson, with photos, describing the Faircane in detail and its use in self-defense. Thompson was also something of a Fairburn biographer in various books and articles. If you Google " W E Fairburn stacked leather assault stick" and scroll down a few entries to www.worthpoint.com and open that entry, you will find several excellent pictures and text descriptions of the sticks. I do however take your point as to a solid rod being too springy.

If you would like to accept an engagement to build one or more Faircanes, please send me a PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,581 Times in 6,364 Posts

http://www.fairbairnsykesfightingkni...50826_orig.jpg

Looks almost as poky as a knife.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,103 Times in 20,548 Posts

My dad made himself a swagger stick in WWII. It was just a 50 cal shell casing on the back of a round wood shaft about 18 inches long, with the bullet mounted on the tip. Varnished. Not a weapon, just something that was in style to look sharp with. I guess they pointed at maps and such with them and carried them under the arm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 07:57 PM

Well, persistence has paid off. My casting about led me to Ban Brock at Plowshare Forge. Dan stepped-up and built it for me. He used the 1992 Leroy Thompson article, some additional internet research we did and some discussion with me, to design and build a Faircane.

It was delivered today and let me say that it is a work of art. Kudos and my gratitude to Mr. Brock. My computer savvy is limited. I will try to post a picture. Dan has one as well. If you really want one, "Dan's the Man"!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acropolis5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,342 Times in 794 Posts

If there is no picture it didn't happen, so a pic and an evaluation of it. Defensive tool or pointer?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neo nimrod For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,356 Times in 11,467 Posts

make it out of Delrin and brass. going to look into that as well....
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 11:30 AM

As requested, pictures of my new Faircane are included. Mr. Brock built the replica on a 5/16" stainless steel rod, with about a 1" high tapered brass barrel pommel. It has a palm swell handle, a la the famed FS WW II fighting knife. The wrist thong lies between the pommel and the palm swell. The SS tip is introduced with a brass collar. The SS tip is about 1"" long and semi sharp. The body is made from leather squares stacked around the rod core and turned on a lathe. The leather was finished with brown Kiwi shoe polish. The finish is just rough enough to looked "aged". The stick is not springy and it does not noticeably flex when handled. Overall length is ~23.5" and it weighs in at 14oz. Mr. Brock & Plowshare Forge have exceeded all my expectation and have produced a work of art. It will join the best of my walking stick collection on display in my home.

Finally, I managed to reach ,via email , noted W E Fairbairn biographer and weapons historian, Leroy Thompson who also authored the Spring 1992, "Fighting Knives" magazine article which gave us the basic build information. I sent him photos and the build description. I am happy to report that he thought the build quality looked, " very good". High praise from the man best able to judge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	164425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	164433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	164441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	164449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	164457  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acropolis5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis5 View Post
As requested, pictures of my new Faircane are included. Mr. Brock built the replica on a 5/16" stainless steel rod, with about a 1" high tapered brass barrel pommel. It has a palm swell handle, a la the famed FS WW II fighting knife. The wrist thong lies between the pommel and the palm swell. The SS tip is introduced with a brass collar. The SS tip is about 1"" long and semi sharp. The body is made from leather squares stacked around the rod core and turned on a lathe. The leather was finished with brown Kiwi shoe polish. The finish is just rough enough to looked "aged". The stick is not springy and it does not noticeably flex when handled. Overall length is ~23.5" and it weighs in at 14oz. Mr. Brock & Plowshare Forge have exceeded all my expectation and have produced a work of art. It will join the best of my walking stick collection on display in my home.

Finally, I managed to reach ,via email , noted W E Fairbairn biographer and weapons historian, Leroy Thompson who also authored the Spring 1992, "Fighting Knives" magazine article which gave us the basic build information. I sent him photos and the build description. I am happy to report that he thought the build quality looked, " very good". High praise from the man best able to judge.
How much did it wind up costing you?
Do you know if Mr. Brock would be open to making another?
Old 11-25-2016, 02:36 AM

Default Faircane price

Mr. Brock quoted me a Bargin Basement price of $125, plus shipping. I'm sure that he underestimated the fabrication difficulty and underpriced the item. But, he was "good to his deal" and did not ask for a price increase. I think he would do it again, but for an enhanced price. Just email a request. I would have gladly paid substantially more. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron880 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 08:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,923 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron880 View Post
Mr. Brock quoted me a Bargin Basement price of $125, plus shipping. I'm sure that he underestimated the fabrication difficulty and underpriced the item. But, he was "good to his deal" and did not ask for a price increase. I think he would do it again, but for an enhanced price. Just email a request. I would have gladly paid substantially more. Good luck.
Meanwhile, somewhere in China...