Advice on a hand to hand self defense course for a guy? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you practice a bit of hand to hand, if so whats your regimen? Drose427 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 38 12-06-2015 04:17 PM
hand to hand self defense midnitemaniac2001 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 70 11-27-2015 02:16 PM
so does prepping & reloading go hand in hand... or do you all just stock up ??? Magnum Wheel Man Firearms General Discussion 15 10-24-2013 08:34 PM
5 reasons to learn hand to hand combat if your armed. sharir Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 12 11-16-2010 05:53 PM
New File Added: FM 21-150 US Army Hand-to-Hand Combat Training TcCoVeN Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 05-28-2009 07:08 PM
Stick Foo. The art of hand to hand fighting Highlander General Discussion 6 04-22-2009 09:56 AM
New File Added: How To Win In Hand To Hand Fighting.pdf sksdoc Urban Survival 33 04-10-2009 02:35 AM
who knew you needed hand to hand knowledge to ride the bus preparedmama Urban Survival 49 12-23-2008 07:29 PM
New File Added: How to Win in Hand 2 Hand Fighting sksdoc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 08-20-2008 08:31 AM

Old 03-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,587 Times in 8,161 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny SWO View Post
Drilling builds muscle memory. I agree that sparring is much better preparation than drilling, but drilling isn't useless. It's absurd to think that no one has ever done a hammer fist to the base of the neck in a real fight because they never did it when sparring.
I drill techniques every week, but as you said it is not the same as trying to apply it under stress and with full resistance from a skilled opponent.

Drilling is better than nothing, but you are less likely to use the technique under stress because you don't have as much experience or confidence in it as the techniques you use during sparring.

I'd rather use techniques I know work under resistance and under stress than hope that it works when I need it the most.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 12:22 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper6Niner View Post
You can practice them under any conditions you want. If you don't start slow and develop the muscle memory, you'll never do them correctly.
I just don't see how fine motor skills techniques can be effective in a real "street fight".
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
I drill techniques every week, but as you said it is not the same as trying to apply it under stress and with full resistance from a skilled opponent.

Drilling is better than nothing, but you are less likely to use the technique under stress because you don't have as much experience or confidence in it as the techniques you use during sparring.

I'd rather use techniques I know work under resistance and under stress than hope that it works when I need it the most.

Fair enough. I'll admit that in a street fight I'm more likely to use the techniques that I've developed when sparring, but if the opportunity to grab and rip someone's scrotum presents itself, I don't think I'll hesitate to do so because I haven't been doing it while sparring.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:53 AM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
I just don't see how fine motor skills techniques can be effective in a real "street fight".
Feel free not to develop any of them then. A former coworker of mine saved his life with a simple one I showed him for fun. We practiced enough hanging out after work and when someone tried to stab him he performed it as a reflex. Kept a kitchen knife out of his gut.

Did I have to stab him full speed with a knife to teach him to block one? We are talking about self defense here, not wrestling. These people are out to hurt you and they will come at you sideways.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Does he actually fight or does he just do drills?
Sorry, I missed your question from earlier in the thread. He spars just like everyone else and he's by far the best one there among the small over-50 crowd that we have. Ironically, he did suffer an attempted mugging a while ago and he was able to end it quickly with a BJJ wrist lock that we've drilled on.

Our gym is American Top Team certified, so there's also plenty of basic-level BJJ and MMA that is incorporated into our Krav training.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny SWO For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 04:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Fair enough. I'll admit that in a street fight I'm more likely to use the techniques that I've developed when sparring, but if the opportunity to grab and rip someone's scrotum presents itself, I don't think I'll hesitate to do so because I haven't been doing it while sparring.
How often do you have a scrotum dangling in your face during a fight?

Wait... don't answer that.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
How often do you have a scrotum dangling in your face during a fight?

Wait... don't answer that.

In all seriousness, it certainly doesn't need to be in your face to attack it!

I know this explanation can be taken the wrong way so I'm likely teeing up a good comeback up for you, but depending on what kind of clothing the attacker has, the potential to grab, twist, yank and powerfully as you can may be there. Do that and the fight is over.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:55 AM
Survivor

Quote:
In all seriousness, it certainly doesn't need to be in your face to attack it!
That sounds so...

Old 03-09-2016, 05:32 AM

Sounds like you're just a little bit too much obsessed with homosexuality. I wish I could empathize, but I don't have that problem.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,508 Times in 1,040 Posts

To the OP, my opinion is any hard sweaty full contact style is best. Boxing, kickboxing, sambo, muay thai, judo, MMA, BJJ etc. They will all teach you to handle the average guy , and 99% of dojo stylists as well.

99% of the dojo styles( semi contact kungfu, karate, TKD) just don't work in the formats they are taught. The self defence or military styles like Krav maga are a little hit and miss as well, depending on the club.

A simple question is who would you fear to fight most if I was to find you the nastiest opponent to attack you or your girl tomorrow? I can guarantee its not ''Sensei Bob'' with the 6 stripe black tipped belt, glasses, fat gut, works at the comic bookstore, and has a class full of teenage kids and suburbanites. Or the little Asian guy "Master Kwang do" the 12th degree dragon style death toucher who serves burgers by day and teaches students to tap into their ki and be one with the universe.

Its a sweaty, pig eyed, broken nosed or cauliflower ears, roided up tattoed guy 100lbs heavier than you, possibly twice your physical strength. Basically any professional heavyweight boxer, or high level judo guy, or Olympic wrestler, or pro muay thai or MMA heavyweight.

So was I right?

So just go and train with some of those guys. Very simple. You will be scared at first, you will sweat, you will want to vomit from exhaustion, you will get hit or taken down too( not hard enough to be hurt or injured, these clubs want people to come back after all, you will find professional coaches very professional in their methods with learners, as are the fighters themselves), and you will learn to actually defend yourself, and not be afraid. Because that is what it takes. There are no shortcuts. Anyone who tells you there is, is just selling colored belts to hapless suburbanites like ''sensei bob and master kwang-do''.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,518 Times in 443 Posts

My go to advice. See how they spar. Is it full contact? If not, find something else.

Generally, wrestling, boxing, mma, bbj, krav are full contact. Others may or may not be.

Remember, when training to fight, you should train by actually fighting. Other arts may be good for discipline, work ethic etc, but if they aren't full contact, they can actually hamper the main contributor to winning a fight (the capacity to do violence).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Praestes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Target Shooter

Default Get Tough

I recommend the "Get Tough" hand to hand manual used by American forces during WWII. available on the internet.

America had to train combat forces fast and they were playing catchup.

It is simple, effective and easy to learn without an instructor.

This is no frills designed to maim and kill.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,508 Times in 1,040 Posts

a word of warning again on 'military styles' and self defence courses. The issue being they are extremely incomplete, being a short course for soldiers to learn a few tactics, along with the other 20 or 100 courses the average soldier has to absorb, they cannot afford to be overly comprehensive, nor do they pretend to. Instructors do not have time to turn soldiers into expert hand to hand killing machines anymore than the soldiers navigation training or first aid training turns them into expert mountaineers or emergency room doctors. These courses will also not turn the average guy into a killing machine either.

One of their biggest failings is they are not designed to handle actual fighters- defending punches or kicks throws or takedowns from anyone semi-skilled. This can only be done by full contact sparring and drilling against the guys using these attacks the best. A lot of clubs do not even have contact sparring to drill anything and very little emphasis on fitness to boot. You can study a military style your entire life( though really it needs very little time) and at the end of it you may be able to handle the average guy or maybe disarm basic weapons but you will still be in trouble against the 250lb mugger who had a dozen boxing matches in the pen.

Where their attraction is of course the average guys being impressed "oh but soldiers use them for killing''( being unaware of the limitations of basic compressed training as I mentioned) and secondly they are short courses, so it seems like you are getting a free lunch, ''learn to be a killer in just 3 easy steps + a free video!" Sorry, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Where in life does that happen? Certainly these courses teach something useful, just as a restraints and control course works well for police/security/correctional workers. But if you want to learn something to cover 99% of hand to hand SHTF , get into full contact styles in your spare time, just like we tell our soldiers.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,169 Times in 465 Posts

I wrestled folkstyle, freestyle, and Greco for years and also did mma for a short period of time.

My advice is to practice a lot. Get involved with jiu jitsu and don't do it at a McDojo. Find the Jiu Jitsu club that doesn't ***** foot around.

For everybody who thinks you can learn anything useful about fighting by looking on the internet and doing stupid drills you saw on youtube, you have a hell of a shocking surprise the first time you get punched in the face.

Those drills are just to build muscle memory before you START to practice them correctly when do live sparring.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:20 PM

You're getting some good advice. My son is a Krav Maga instructor, so naturally, I think that is a great choice. I also have friends that are black belts in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. The army's modernized combatives is based on bjj, so it is a very effective choice, as well.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,075 Times in 728 Posts

I took a class from a guy who teaches a lot of Akido based stuff. I watched a 9 year old girl take down a full grown man in a full speed sparring drill. Obviously, training isn't as rough as the real thing, but I saw first hand that the physics and biomechanics work. Traditional martial arts and MMA are geared toward sport, not actual life-and-death fighting. I'd look for someone who teaches a "self defense" class as opposed to a "whichever martial art". If the teacher doesn't flinch or balk when you explain your problems, he's probably the guy for you.