Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Krav Maga questions warhawk-77 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 47 08-17-2018 03:34 AM
Krav Maga WTF???? BladeGuru Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 181 05-17-2018 12:32 PM
Krav Maga? comas Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 100 05-17-2018 12:31 PM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 245 07-27-2012 07:29 PM
Gun In Your Face & Krav Maga Lono Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 25 06-15-2012 02:49 AM
Krav Maga Check In nukinfuts29 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 20 02-02-2012 10:16 PM
Krav Maga in denver? MtnBikeMike Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-29-2011 07:01 PM
This is Krav Maga ! sojurn87 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 86 04-09-2011 11:42 PM
MMA vs Krav Maga (Video) Warmachine Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 0 07-24-2009 02:04 AM
Krav Maga Gun Disarm WORKED Semper Paratus Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 45 05-30-2009 01:21 PM

Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet2022 View Post
Howdy,

Looking for people experienced in Krav Maga and/or Jiu Jitsu to chime in here with words of wisdom/advice.

I will be looking for a class to join.

Thanks for any help/advice/stories you give. I'm very eager to learn.
I dont have any experience with Jiu Jitsu (boxing used to be my martial art). But.... I did observe someJiu Jitsu instructors.

Be very careful in selecting an instructor. The moves are very dangerous. Even with mature instructors and mature students, I suspect injuries are common. Mix in inmature instructors and aggressive students, and things can go down hill- fast.

For some reason in may area (Southeren California) there was a disproportioante number of immature "anarchy" or "semi skinhead" type instructors and alot of MMA wanna'be students. I personally witnessed one instructor glorifying aggression. While defensive aggression is ethical, I just did not like the guy's tone.

Likewise, a church friend's son signed up for a basic lessons at one place and received a permanent shoulder / elbow injury. I have a suspiscion that the injury might well have stemmed a gym with an immature isntructor and aggressive students.

In summarry, be careful with Jiu Jitus, both as a system and instructor / students wise. There are bad combinations of that in all martial arts, but it seems to be more so in Jiu Jitsu.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Another Brick in the Wall

I took Krav up to level three. Excellent cardio conditioning and easy to remember instinctive self defense skills. As you get into levels two and three there is more ground fighting which is somewhat jiu jistu based. I had had back surgery, two level discetomy laminectomy only two years earlier and my back was fine with it. I did however break my finger twice requiring a pin. If you spar it can get pretty intense. I went at least three times a week, but four or five when I could. More you go, faster you learn, quicker you get in shape. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 PM
improvise adapt overcome

Thanked 1,263 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BshMstr View Post
why the heck are you only looking at Krava Maga or BJJ? are these the only schools in your area, or what?
I think Krav Maga and Ju-Jitsu compliment each other quite well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karaya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2015, 01:10 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaya1 View Post
I think Krav Maga and Ju-Jitsu compliment each other quite well.
True....Jiu-Jitsu goes well with every stand up style
The Following User Says Thank You to cuchillo negro For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I dont have any experience with Jiu Jitsu (boxing used to be my martial art). But.... I did observe someJiu Jitsu instructors.

Be very careful in selecting an instructor. The moves are very dangerous. Even with mature instructors and mature students, I suspect injuries are common. Mix in inmature instructors and aggressive students, and things can go down hill- fast.

For some reason in may area (Southeren California) there was a disproportioante number of immature "anarchy" or "semi skinhead" type instructors and alot of MMA wanna'be students. I personally witnessed one instructor glorifying aggression. While defensive aggression is ethical, I just did not like the guy's tone.

Likewise, a church friend's son signed up for a basic lessons at one place and received a permanent shoulder / elbow injury. I have a suspiscion that the injury might well have stemmed a gym with an immature isntructor and aggressive students.

In summarry, be careful with Jiu Jitus, both as a system and instructor / students wise. There are bad combinations of that in all martial arts, but it seems to be more so in Jiu Jitsu.
True.......all Jiu-Jitsu schools are not the same. Most Jiu-Jitsu schools are sport oriented and really do not teach self defense. At these types of schools the instructor have no clue how to teach students how to defend themselves. This is a big controversy within the Jiu-Jitsu community.

Your friend went to the wrong school....his son should have never been allowed to spar since he had no clue what he was doing. All new students have to go through a beginner program first before they are allowed to spar with full force. I see this happen all the time and chases students away.
The Following User Says Thank You to cuchillo negro For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 08:33 AM

I know this is a old thread but I did see some where training at the US embassy in Baghdad. I'm heading that way and wanted to see if that's still going on?