Advice please - need to sell storage food - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 11-08-2019, 11:14 PM

Advertise Here

I checked several prepper/survivalist forums before joining this one yesterday and I must say, I am very pleased with the participation here! Seems like so many of them have been largely abandoned. I am glad I came here. You seem to be a nice bunch of people.

You folks have given me a good education. There is nothing worse than believing in something that simply isn't so. I thought my wheat was most valuable but now realize my "WonderMill" Electric Grain Mill is probably the real gem. The wheat is sealed in nitrogen and we have used a couple of buckets over the years, so we know it is quality stuff.

The big problem here is we might as well admit we are city folks. Outside of the weekly farmer's markets here and there (which sell a lot more arts/crafts) we don't know any farmers. Our previous rural home was a place for hunters not farmers.

I like the idea of thinking we had 22 years of "food insurance" because that makes the way forward more "palatable." I guess our "policy" has mostly run out now.

Someone mentioned donate. I wouldn't have a clue who to donate to. Most of our friends thought we were crazy to prep for Y2K. It ended up being a blessing since we did well selling the place we built up. But I don't know a single person locally who would be interested in grinding wheat and making bread with it. I used to know people who had a few chickens and sold the eggs but that was 50 years ago! Sigh.

It has been a pleasant experience reading your input here. Blessings to you all.

overthehillprepper
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to overthehillprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:38 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,821 Times in 19,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehillprepper View Post
I checked several prepper/survivalist forums before joining this one yesterday and I must say, I am very pleased with the participation here! Seems like so many of them have been largely abandoned. I am glad I came here. You seem to be a nice bunch of people.

You folks have given me a good education. There is nothing worse than believing in something that simply isn't so. I thought my wheat was most valuable but now realize my "WonderMill" Electric Grain Mill is probably the real gem. The wheat is sealed in nitrogen and we have used a couple of buckets over the years, so we know it is quality stuff.

The big problem here is we might as well admit we are city folks. Outside of the weekly farmer's markets here and there (which sell a lot more arts/crafts) we don't know any farmers. Our previous rural home was a place for hunters not farmers.

I like the idea of thinking we had 22 years of "food insurance" because that makes the way forward more "palatable." I guess our "policy" has mostly run out now.

Someone mentioned donate. I wouldn't have a clue who to donate to. Most of our friends thought we were crazy to prep for Y2K. It ended up being a blessing since we did well selling the place we built up. But I don't know a single person locally who would be interested in grinding wheat and making bread with it. I used to know people who had a few chickens and sold the eggs but that was 50 years ago! Sigh.

It has been a pleasant experience reading your input here. Blessings to you all.

overthehillprepper
It is good you are taking the advice here with dignity and grace.

You still face your trouble, but now with a better eye to value.

Yes, your Wondermill indeed is the prize that holds value. If used but fully functional then it retains half or more of current new pricing. At half of today's price and accounting for inflation then you should recoup most of what you first paid for it. Craigslist should move it fast that price.

I'd still suggest finding a local guy selling his backyard eggs to make a trade, but those local farmer's markets may also be a decent avenue too. Someone with a booth/stall might be willing to sell them for you on consignment for a piece of the action or barter. You might need to repack in something more convenient for local sale. Perhaps 5lb bags done big ziploc or vacuum pack. From 4 buckets you are looking at 26 of the 5lb bags. In smaller packs you may recoup more value. Make the offer of $2 cash or $2.50 barter value on consignment per bag and leave it to them to make more profit on it. Pick a produce seller who has product you like. That would get you around $60 worth of fresh produce. You still need to eat and filling your fridge and freezer drops your grocery bill. In the end you getting investment cash returned.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:00 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,127 Posts

Quote:
You seem to be a nice bunch of people.
38.9% A holes but that's only doing a statistical analysis for eight plus years.
The Following User Says Thank You to STEEPOE For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 09:40 AM
VIP Member

I'm familiar with Kitsap County, as I lived in Bremerton until I moved further East.
IamZeke makes valid points, but I'd suggest advertizing on Facebook Marketplace, towards the East in the Spokane/Colville area. Why? Because many in that area are the survival minded and many drive to Seattle for work or just to take a trip. I also check out the "barter fairs" in that area. There are plenty of farms East/Central to Kitsap. The Central locations cater to the apple industry, i.e., chickens, pigs, ect. Further East and North, you get horses and the survivor types.
Make sure you point out that the containers are sealed. Don't be suprise if you get a "taker" from Idaho . It could happen.
Best of luck .
Old 11-15-2019, 09:57 PM

Hey, I found a few more posts on my thread.

@eyepal, I see that you lived in Bremerton. Then you know how the rural areas here belong to "gentlemen farmers" most of which have some other form of income to support their hobby. That's probably too broad of a generalization but not so far from the truth in my experience. I have no idea who might still be selling some eggs these days.

Thanks for your suggestion for advertising on a resource in Spokane in what I have learned is sometimes called the American Redoubt. Craig's List has a Spokane page so that would be my choice. I will NOT be using Facebook and I strongly suggest you avoid it as well. I am a retired IT guy and when I found out what Facebook was all about four years ago - my wife and I cancelled our accounts. Facebook was started by the CIA because it is a perfect "honeypot" for collecting all the peoples' personal information, voluntarily supplied, including business, hobby, family and political associations. Google should be avoided as well. Use a more secure form of search. I haven't gotten completely off Google properties yet but I'm working on it. Blessings to you!
Old 11-17-2019, 06:25 AM

Nice to know.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,729 Times in 7,429 Posts

Quote:
My username doesn't refer to my location, but rather my age (and digestion). We have eight , forty pound storage buckets of wheat berries, about 22 years old (30 year shelf life) that we can no longer use for food because of allergies. Can you tell me if there might be a market for these? We live in Kitsap County, Washington State. I don't think anyone would pay for the shipping of these so would likely be limited by driving distance. We aren't ready for the "home" yet but we do need to downsize one more time before anything like that happens.
Sorry, I doubt there is an economic market for them. I would use them in my compost pile if I were you.