Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You get to pick next US military sidearm! What would you pick and why? Wagion Military Weapons Forum 572 02-20-2017 06:42 PM
They pick me up, how will YOU know HaroldWayneHamlin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 43 01-23-2017 12:46 PM
Help me pick a 10/22 Eagle Scout Dan Firearms General Discussion 16 05-13-2014 09:42 PM
Which one would you pick? spmc1977 Knives, Swords & Axes 30 08-09-2013 10:58 PM
Which would you pick? ben1022 Firearms General Discussion 25 05-24-2013 10:10 AM
help me pick my new gun houndsman Military Weapons Forum 25 11-30-2012 10:24 AM
Take Your Pick Mr2ndAmendment Military Weapons Forum 21 11-13-2012 12:18 PM
Help me pick a gun outside the box Shotgun Forum 19 09-05-2012 03:34 PM
MS or MI... if you had to pick one which would it be? Skeer Urban Survival 54 05-13-2012 12:21 AM
If you had to pick two... manriki Manmade and Natural Disasters 103 01-11-2011 05:44 PM

Old 10-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Later Dude Saint

Advertise Here

i'd get a cz 82 makarov for less than 200. 12 shot.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm60660 View Post
Don't know if anyone has recommended it, but the Kahr CW40 sounds like close to what you're looking for. It's 40 cal, reliable, concealable and the price is right. (Kahr pistols had their issues a few years ago, but they seem to be pretty well worked out.)

I think the whole manual safety thing is over rated on a CC pistol. On a Kahr, the trigger is SUPER smooth, not too heavy, but longish trigger. Kind of like a D/A revolver trigger. It must be pulled fully to the rear for the pistol to fire.

A modern semi auto pistol in a holster is "on safe" until it is out of the holster. The only safety that matters is the one between your ears.

Also, manual safety is just something to forget in an emergency. That could cost you that instant of surprise when it matters most.
DM
There are many arguments for and against a manual safety. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with it. With my Ruger LCP I like the fact that I can pull out the gun with the holster which is like a safety on the draw. And if I needed too I could pull the gun out of the holster on the draw, this would be the tactical situation where one arm is disabled, just a one hand draw. Something to practice for. When I really pack I carry my 15 rounds of 45 ACP in a full size double stack 1911, my favorite open carry. I like the big thumb safety and it's easy to get to, especially with one hand. Now my full size Glock 21 in 45 ACP has no safety and it scares the hell out of me, so I carry it without a round in the chamber. I really like to carry this particular gun this way because I can throw it in a pocket or in my pack and don't have to worry about it going off, and it has a light spring so racking the slide to chamber a round is very easy. But without it locked and cocked it's slow on the draw, but at least it's a few seconds away from the ready.

Here's a few stats:

Kahr CW40: $549 18.7 ounces
Ruger LCP: $373, 9.4 ounces, or $548 with laser, 10 ounces!

Carry weight is a big thing for me and you'd be hard pressed to find a lighter gun than the LCP for everyday carry. Just try to walk around with a 20 oz gun in your pocket, not to mention the extra weight of the larger caliber ammunition, and within days you'll be looking for a smaller gun. Trust me, I ended up with a whole gun safe full of guns before I settled on the LCP. Buy a full size 40 or 45 ACP for your belt for occasional carry and keep the LCP in your pocket all the time. Be sure you have a ooncealed carry permit!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Target Shooter

Walther PPK
Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,761 Times in 4,526 Posts

well wewalked, what did you get????
Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
Find one that fits your hand. You should be able to work the controls, mag release, safety etc without altering your grip.

After that work on make, model and caliber.

What he said! Me I have the Glock-19. It's perfect for me.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Prepared

Some people have already mentioned them:

Beretta 84
Walther PPK

Both good choices and meet your criteria except price may be a little more.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,823 Times in 5,140 Posts

I would also suggest a J frame, preferably in 357 (allows you to shoot any 38's and magnums).
But, if you are not a fan of that idea, and want an inexpensive, effective carry pistol with thumb safety, then look at the Rock Island Armory (RIA) line of compact 1911's.
45ACP power, thumb and grip safeties, 7 rounds with a 3 inch barrel. Thin for comfortable IWB carry too. They have several models in your price range, try Centerfire:

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Ce...2011092101/#10

(I'm not affiliated or employed by them, etc...)
Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCENT View Post
well wewalked, what did you get????
after a couple of months of sleeping on it I THINK I have decided to go with the Bersa Thunder .380 concealed carry model (decisions decisions). I was very torn between the LCP or LC9 and the Bersa but eventually decided that my big, goofy hands were not suited to the LCP and the lack of a manual safety/decocker really bugged me... I know its safe so long as the safety between my ears is functioning but I'd be paranoid about it and wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it. Also, the long trigger pull, for me, means spending a lot of range time which I don't have and a lot of ammo which I can't yet afford. The LC9 is significantly better in terms of size and safety (and cheaper ammo), but again, I really like the control and ease of a single/double action. I can see myself picking up a LCP or LC9 in the future when I have more cash, or even eventually trading the Bersa for one, but for now I think the Thunder .380 is where I am headed (not to mention its cheaper than both the LCP and LC9).

Thanks for everyones help and I am still willing to take comments/thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to wewalked For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 PM
I survive on Hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverred View Post
Sig Sauer P229 - May be over your price limit but you can find one for a lil over 500. It's single action so if you don't mind having it on safety or releasing the hammer when carrying or simply turning the safety off when in use then it's a great carry gun.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...tols-p229.aspx

Also I would recommend a .38 special. Great defensive gun, and you can always rely on a revolver.

Check out Slick Guns for searching for cheap used and new guns. Good luck! Remember if you have friends that have different carry guns or smaller hand guns, ask them if you can shoot them! Shoot as many different types as possible and see which one you prefer before finding an "awesome looking" gun to carry.
+1, I have a Sig P229 in 9mm, and it's a fantastic pistol. Small, compact, and lightweight.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Congradulations on your Thunder wewalked. The gun that fits right in your hand and makes sense to you is definately the one to buy.

Have you started to carry it yet? If so how easy is it to conceal and carry?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus29 View Post
Congradulations on your Thunder wewalked. The gun that fits right in your hand and makes sense to you is definately the one to buy.

Have you started to carry it yet? If so how easy is it to conceal and carry?

Not yet. I'm still waiting on my permit. When I get it and start carrying for a week or so I'll do a post (maybe with pics) reviewing it. Least I can do to return the favor to the forum.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,761 Times in 4,526 Posts

do forget to do your wally walk. its a tradition. the first night you get your permit, you strap your gun on, and head out to wally world to walk about for an hour or so. it alows you to geta feel for it and see if people notice. besides you can pick up some ammo while ytour there..

also congrats on the bersa. i had one, and it was really nice. i'd buy another before either of the rugers.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Just got my better half a new Ruger 380 auto, small, alot of LE types carry this for a backup.
Shoots well, small, only drawback it the 6 plus 1 for ammo cap, loud as hell!!, and no safety.