Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Hi Cap Full Size 45 for OC Eagle Scout Dan Pistol and Revolver Forum 21 01-12-2017 04:44 AM
full size 9mm AaronX Pistol and Revolver Forum 56 07-26-2015 03:02 PM
ATI FX45 GI SA 1911 Full Size 45ACP 4.25" or 5" Steel Black Wood 8rd - $280 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 05-29-2014 04:52 PM
Full size scope for 91/30 Barihawk Rifle Forum 14 12-30-2013 08:48 AM
Baby Desert Eagle II 9mm Steel Full Size (BE9915R) Cope's Distribuitng For Sale 0 07-03-2013 02:06 PM
HiPoint 40 s&w Full Size Cope's Distribuitng For Sale 0 10-02-2012 08:39 AM
H&K USP.45 (Full Size) TMHonfire Firearms General Discussion 7 02-24-2011 08:37 PM
Who's got a Full size Bronco as a BOV? sheepman Vehicles & Transportation 12 10-19-2009 02:00 AM
Shout out to the full size carry only folk Maverick88 Pistol and Revolver Forum 49 01-11-2009 06:10 PM

Old 02-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,645 Times in 1,064 Posts

Advertise Here

I have found that the older designs were really better guns to pack around due to the geometry of the gun.

They were flat and laid against your bidy closely and did not drag you down on one side. A belt slide holster was plenty of retention and I often do nt even wear a holster with my 1911. I just tuck it in my belt, stick an extra mag in my pocket and go.

The big ugly clubs they are selling now are off balance even in a holster and the poly frame does not make them lighter due to all those pipsqueek 9mm rounds you are carrying.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 06:38 PM

Well, my opinion is, if the gun works for you then USE IT!

I carry a 1911. I'm 6'3 and have large hands. In fact so large that I can easily place my index finger on the front of the 1911 trigger guard and squeeze. So a compact or what folks call a "good CCW" pistol is useless to me. I can carry a 1911 easier, shoot it better and probably scare the bajeebers out of most any target that crosses my front sight. Not to mention due to my size a 1911 can be carried as a CCW.

So FOR ME.... The 1911 fits me better than any other pistol I have held or used.

I also only buy All Steel. Plastic guns... meh... Just dont feel right.. I always wonder if water will squirt out the end..
Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
I carry it at about 3 o'clock, canted slightly forward in a serpa belt holster
How do you like that holster? I have one for my Glock, I love it, but it sticks out too far for concealed carry in my opinion. Do you just deal with it, or do you have any tricks for concealing it better? Sorry to go off topic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,504 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator_Grimshaw View Post
How do you like that holster? I have one for my Glock, I love it, but it sticks out too far for concealed carry in my opinion. Do you just deal with it, or do you have any tricks for concealing it better? Sorry to go off topic!
I own a Serpa, its great at retention for sure. In a situation where I am using my Serpa in a combat rig as a secondary, no issues. In most training I've been in, it really does slow you down dramatically for CCW drawn, it sticks the gun WAY off your body (bad for CCW). IMO, for CCW, no, for secondary control in a combat rig, very good. Though there are some reports of failure of the de-locking device in high sand/dirty environments. If using it for a secondary device in a "Combat" or mobile environment I would use it.(For riding motorcycles/atv on around land I would give this a 10) Outside of those specifics, going a full Kydex non-lock OWB is a better choice, IMO.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Just got word from my local gun shop. The New Ruger and remington 1911's are illegal in California.... They didnt pass the drop test.

Handgun Drop Test: shall mean a test in which the handgun in question shall be:

(a) test loaded;
(b) set such that the handgun is ready to fire; and
(c) dropped onto a solid slab of concrete from a height of one meter from each of the following positions:

1. normal firing position,
2. upside down,
3. on grip,
4. on the muzzle,
5. on either side, and
6. on the exposed hammer or striker (or if there is no exposed hammer or striker, then the rearmost part of the firearm).

In addition, if the handgun is designed so that its hammer or striker may be set in other positions, the handgun in question shall be tested with the hammer or striker in each such position (but otherwise ready to fire). Alternatively, the tester may use different handguns of the same make and model, in similar condition, for the test of each of these hammer/striker settings.

(from http://www.ago.state.ma.us/sp.cfm?pageid=1579 )
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,336 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
How do you do it? I mean do you have an exercise regiment or have perfected the optimal diet and vitamin dosing for the strength and vigor needed for the task? Are you all 6 foot 4 + gynormous grizzly adam look alikes to handle the extra heft of 10 to 16 ounces? Do you all have figures like John Candy to hide that huge hand cannon?

I really want to know. Just about all opinions I get are against even considering packing a S&W 5906. Damn thing is as heavy as a 1911 !!!! Damn it I am bigger than Sonny Crocket and at one time was better looking too
I carry a browning hipower. I guess it's just what you get used to.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Scout Motto - Be Prepared

Thanked 1,032 Times in 521 Posts

I'm 6'4"
Old 01-21-2012, 08:11 AM

I"m 5' 9" and 200 lbs..
I'm an active "senior" but not an athlete. I pack a Para stainless 1911 in aa Blackhawk Serpa. With a stiff belt I have no issues with comfort or the weight. I find the Serpa to be much more comfortable than a shouolder holster. With the pistol under my arm I can't achieve a relaxed posture for my left arm. With my Serpa at the 4 o'clock position it's easy to forget it's there.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Hunter

I use a Bianchi Shoulder Holsters 357 4 inch barrle.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,018 Posts

I'm 5'9", 180 pounds and I carry a Para 1911 in a Desantis "Thumb Break Scabbard" holster :
http://www.desantisholster.com/store...nt-Model-45cal
It's very comfortable and rides securely.

Like everyone has said, the belt is very important, but what made it easier for me was to add a pair of suspenders. I have no butt and even without the weight of a holster I have trouble keeping my pants up. These are the best suspenders I have found so far :
http://perrysuspenders.com/leorpesu.html
They use a plastic clip to grab the belt instead of a metal clamp that will dig into your back after a couple of hours.

Mark
Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Low Country

I carry an S&W 637 but I have been known to carry a Glock 24 in a shoulder holster. I could probably get used to it but by the end of the day I'm ready to take it off. All my holsters and I have more than a dozen. All of them are Galco's. I think Galco is one of the best out there. I get stuck on manufacturers. I only buy Leupold and I only buy Galco. Same with knives, I only buy Benchmade.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Prepared

I carry a full size para 1911 14-45 with a aluminum lower,14 rounds ,in a desantis small of the back holster,the strange thing is I wear it at 3 oclock or a little foward .The holster is a very hard forward cant but it sits tight to my side and a t shirt covers the bottom.It is the most comfortable holster I have ever had on, in and out of trucks,cars neeling, standing, sitting in a both at a resturant whatever im doingIi forget its there.A elastic waist jacket always creeps up and shows the gun,but I dont really care,its legal in pa and everybody knows I have it anyway,cause I promote carry to everybody I talk to.Its nice when people know you are carring a gun they are very nice to you.(lol)
PS Im 6' 260 lb wide shoulders and a big belly
Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Deplorable bitter clinger

What I carry depends on the time of year. Usually I carry a J frame S&W or a Makarov to the office each day, and I am not expecting trouble.

On the other hand, when I owned the building where my office was located, and the burglar alarm went off at 02:30, I skipped my normal carry gun and took a 1911A1.

It's one thing to carry every day and be an armed citizen. It's another when you know the odds are high that you will be in trouble. In that situation, I would carry a Howitzer if I could get one on my hip.

BTW: I am 6'1" tall.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,548 Times in 10,480 Posts

I CC a ruger 100 6 inch just wear appropriate clothing and put half the holster in your pocket
Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 AM

Just do it. I carried 60lb of stuff in IRAQ . I was 50 at the time. I just did it.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
How do you do it? I mean do you have an exercise regiment or have perfected the optimal diet and vitamin dosing for the strength and vigor needed for the task? Are you all 6 foot 4 + gynormous grizzly adam look alikes to handle the extra heft of 10 to 16 ounces? Do you all have figures like John Candy to hide that huge hand cannon?

I really want to know. Just about all opinions I get are against even considering packing a S&W 5906. Damn thing is as heavy as a 1911 !!!! Damn it I am bigger than Sonny Crocket and at one time was better looking too
Actually, I AM 6' 4", and while I don't have a beard (or hair left), a 1911 fits my hands juuuusssstttt right.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider86 View Post
I'm 5'9", 180 pounds and I carry a Para 1911 in a Desantis "Thumb Break Scabbard" holster :
http://www.desantisholster.com/store...nt-Model-45cal
It's very comfortable and rides securely.

Like everyone has said, the belt is very important, but what made it easier for me was to add a pair of suspenders. I have no butt and even without the weight of a holster I have trouble keeping my pants up. Mark
He must be married.......

Sorry for the thread stray - that line just struck me as very funny!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to compexp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 11:32 AM

Full size 1911 in a IWB holster, worn behind the hip, I can forget it's there.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Klaatu Brarada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 Member View Post
I always carry my 1911 with an extra clip. Wear it for about a week or so, and you won't even know it's there......until you need it that is..
I did this very thing after getting my Andrews shoulder rig for my 1911 with the dual magazine pouches on the opposite side, after a few days and it was no big deal.

Can't say I feel the same way about wearing one on my hip.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,156 Times in 870 Posts

Sig P220 in a Miami Classic though I am thinking of switching that to a Jackass rig. If I carry small it goes IWB, though at the moment I still have weight I need to take off so carrying full size IWB or in a close fitting belt rig does not work that great.