Survivalist Forum banner

RVs may be the ultimate bug out plan.

24K views 262 replies 53 participants last post by  softdown 
#1 ·
We do not know what threat, if any, will inexorably change our lives. Many of us sense a "pounding of the earth" - that some grave threat is afoot. That is why we buy food with long storage capacity. Keep extra fuel handy. Buy another carton of ammo. Procure a gold coin or box of whiskey when we do not drink (alcohol is excellent barter).

There are many grave threats that could force even the prepared to abandon their fortifications and "run". Just a few:
Floods
Earthquakes
Volcanoes
Fire contagions
Civil War - remember when General Sherman burned everything in his path?
Disease
EMP/solar flare - can you live without power? No water? No fuel for heat?

Bought a pop up truck camper - mostly for camping and travel. Started thinking more about the potential for long term survival. All we need is food/water and to stay safe, warm and dry. Pop up campers get much better mpg but offer little storage capacity. Storage capacity is vital.

What about long term survival? There is no going back if the earthquake literally swallowed your home. If the volcano covered your house.

Studies often predict areas of enhanced survivability in many disaster scenarios. Those areas are no good unless you can get there. Unless you can live there. You may need to live there a long time.

What RVs potentially offer a very livable alternative to life afoot and on the run?

I'm thinking that being inconspicuous would be advantageous. Do you want to be seen in a $500,000 motorhome towing a $75,000 auto? Probably not. Yet smaller vehicles simply don't have the storage for ample provisions such as food and fuel. Fuel for heat and fuel for staying mobile.

Many RV's are subject to considerable maintenance. Electronics do not like rapid temperature changes or the vibrations of bouncing down the road. Good luck finding the right electronics technician when a computer board quits working.

This discussion could get big. It could get ridiculed and dismissed. It could get ignored. We shall see.

See less See more
#3 ·
Is a motorhome best though? For survivability I would favor the truck pulling the camper.

My feeling is that driving a motorhome may be easier than pulling a camper at times. Campers tend to be over 24' in length. With the truck, tow hitch and camper - you are about 50' long. That is a chore in gas stations and other locations. But you can unhitch the camper - a huge advantage.

#4 ·
What is wrong with a popup camper? add a small trailer and your storage capacity is greatly improved. That's how I managed extended trips into the back country. You'd be surprised at how much stuff you can get in one of those inexpensive fold up trailers if you add side boards.

I can get into places in a 4WD pickup with a popup camper and light trailer that I wouldn't even attempt with a pull trailer or a motorhome.

#5 ·
Mine has very little storage. The fridge, heater, stove, water tank, propane tank and battery consume a lot of space. Pulling a small trailer is a viable option with solid arguments.

This would all be great for the week-end adventurer. I'm now in a position where I could literally travel half the time. Plus a small home sale should close tomorrow. It was forced because I violated code for doing needed repairs after a hurricane. I've just had it with knowing that I don't really own homes that make me pay $10,000/year in property taxes. The counties simply let me take care of them if I pay them off first.

In a world brimming with abuses of power - mobility can be king.

#9 ·
I thought along those lines - and this is day one of looking. So far - campers are almost always too big or too small. They go from 8-12' then jump to 24' plus. Funny thing considering that I had, more or less, settled on ~16'.

At any rate I am just starting out. This is something that should be thoroughly investigated. The home sale may crash as well. In the meantime, this takes my mind off of current stresses.

#8 ·
Recreation builds skills. Figuring out what works and what does not is very important. Honing camp cooking is important. Campers and RV's are a great thing.

We learned dutch oven cooking years ago while family camping in a popup. We were considering a trailer type RV for our 1st property that we were serious about. Zoning issues in that county helped us make a change before it was too late.

There are a lot of great places to visit before the apocalypse.

#11 ·
Plus one.

Another truth that nobody wants to consider. Civil War tensions are not declining - they are building. What is weird is that there exist no great reasons for it.

If a nasty Civil War breaks out then mobility could become vital. One may do well to seek shelter in Canada or Baja.

While we are thinking about the unthinkable...

#16 ·
We have an older class a. 1992 older. 30' long, no slides. Great motor still. It has solar panels to charge batteries for lights. The solar cannot run our ac, microwave, ceramic heater, or a blowdryer....but it works great for lights, charging cell phone batteries, and running a ceiling fan! The stove, oven, and fridge run on propane....and the heat, when it wants to work properly....it's been the least reliable part of our rv. We carry alot of food with us in it! My family likes to eat well, lol. And I keep it well stocked with most anything we would need while gone.

If a hurricane were to come thru the area and knock out our electricity, we could hang out in the rv and have some power. Or if we were gonna be on the bad side of the hurricane, we could bug out in it. Get ahead of/away from the storm. (Hurricanes are our big mother nature event...well, the effects of a hurricane....we're inland a good ways, so we don't have the coastal issues....but we get the winds, tornados, and torrential rain.)

#17 ·
In 1994, I bought a brand new 1995 Cl A 33' Limited edition with generator, awning, etc. Put on hydraulic levelers, heated holding tanks and had the dealer change some plumbing for cold weather use. Still have it, 45,000 miles on it, it's still like new inside. Hardly use it anymore. :eek::

Before that, had a CL C 28'. Traded it in on the Cl A. Reason I wanted a CL A was for the higher GVW to haul more & much better visibility than the Cl C.

Before the CL C, I had a 21' camp trailer.

Before that, a Volkswagen camper van. Later purchased a tent that fit on the side at the sliding door.

Now, I'd just go with a newer 4x4 van (factory installed) RV. Something easy to park, maneuver, all the comforts of home and able to go off highway.

In a BO situation, highways are going to be jammed and side roads or little used roads would be my choice. Having 4x4 (with lockers) is a huge plus in any camping trips too. JMHO

#18 ·
In 1994, I bought a brand new 1995 Cl A 33' Limited edition with generator, awning, etc. Put on hydraulic levelers, heated holding tanks and had the dealer change some plumbing for cold weather use. Still have it, 45,000 miles on it, it's still like new inside. Hardly use it anymore. :eek::

Before that, had a CL C 28'. Traded it in on the Cl A. Reason I wanted a CL A was for the higher GVW to haul more & much better visibility than the Cl C.

Before the CL C, I had a 21' camp trailer.

Before that, a Volkswagen camper van. Later purchased a tent that fit on the side at the sliding door.

Now, I'd just go with a newer 4x4 van (factory installed) RV. Something easy to park, maneuver, all the comforts of home and able to go off highway.

In a BO situation, highways are going to be jammed and side roads or little used roads would be my choice. Having 4x4 (with lockers) is a huge plus in any camping trips too. JMHO
Visibility is my beef with Class C's. The pop up camper on my truck hurts visibility more than I like. Especially when backing. When I look at Class A's - I see gigantic windows and excellent visibility I would hope.

I would rather drive a Class A than a Class C for that reason. But there do not seem to be many Class A's in 28'-30' - which I figure is large enough.

#20 ·
Hurricane Rita evacuation. EVERYONE stuck on the road in traffic as a category 5 barreled down on Houston. People actually died trapped in their cars and a bus load of seniors from a very pricey nursing home caught on fire, and more died.

You are only as good as the next gas station.

And you will require regular visits to mechanics. You must have cash or something to barter because we all know debit/credit goes down in SHTF events.

#21 ·
A lot of survivalists scenarios involve a collapse of the government. Wherein cash would be useful for starting fires or using as wallpaper. I may recommend other tradeable commodities such as alcohol, cigarettes, toilet paper, food, bullets.

If stuck for days, I'd rather be in an RV than a compact with a 1/4 tank of gas. Being stuck for days could easily happen. In an absolute panic there would likely be a number of serious accidents.

Americans have been very fortunate in many ways. We have never seen a single collapse. A real bomb. Many regions have been hit but the nation has always survived. Now the Bushbarian Reign of Terror? Shiver me timbers - lucky to survive that one for a bit.

#25 ·
This guy has some great ideas for a stealth van build...

Dodge Promaster camper conversion. - YouTube
Doing all that in 150 hours is amazing. The whole thing is amazing.

The concept is sound. I had a white stretch work van that I could park anywhere. Looked like I was doing a service call. Spend many a free night in that thing.

I got about 25 cents on the dollar when an "ex" secret service agent performed a perfectly executed 1/2 J turn into my left hip - totaling the van. Smoky Hill & Main St - April 20th, 2005. Dana Gamage - I think she graduated at the top of her driving class. There is that.

Real danger when you customize stuff. Insuring all that is crazy expensive. And you get nothing for it when some jackazz destroys it.

#23 ·
Soft, my plans include short to medium term disasters. I figure long term we are fairly screwed, I can't own a gun, my husband is a complete train wreck dependent on pain killers, I can't drive, etc.

I am equipped to bug in for a while, though.

#24 ·
S'Ok on the ammo and stuff. I loan that stuff to the government. Just let me know what you need and when you need it. Kidding! - feeling a tad loopy right now. Thinking of upgrading my BB gun though. It doesn't stop the goat.

Being equipped for a bug in is more equipped than 98% or so.

I mean - what are the odds of needing a righteously equipped bug out vehicle? Well - 100% if it happens. We'll be fine!

#26 ·
I lived in a camper for a few years.

They definitely have some pros in a short term SHTF which has been discussed here. The biggest advantage is that you can keep all your crap in one place that you can tow around, and you can get out of the rain. But they also have some cons for a long term WROL situation with zombies wandering around:

You simply can't take them to some places you could go on foot or with a 4wd, and you have to go slower.

They are easier to track.

Most of them stick out like a sore thumb. You could spend some time disguising it with paint and camo netting I guess. I would definitely include that in the preps.

The paper thin walls, relatively small size, and single exit (in most cases) mean they are a death trap if someone starts shooting at you from outside. Your only hope is that they never find you because if they do, you'll have to abandon it, but only if you can do so before they get in range.

They are also very flammable. It would be easy to burn you out.

They are very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. You'd need fuel for AC during the summer and in SHTF that may not be doable. But you could VERY CAREFULLY install a small wood stove for winter, but only if you are very careful and know what the heck you're doing. (this is what I did).

If you do plan on staying hidden, it will be nearly impossible to find others that you can band together with for a community defense. Which IMHO is the only way to survive long term because eventually the zombies will find you. So a long term plan should include finding a like-minded community where you can stay and park the RV.

#28 ·
Under 30ft Class A motorhomes (buses) seem to have decent accommodations for their size, especially with pop outs.
They're small enough to maneuver around tight places, but livable inside. I am not confident that they're made of the most durable or rugged design, especially when they come equipped with 3 Seiki TVs (LOL).

I've had a fancy for them, ever since seeing the "Titanic" on Trapper John, M.D. (Can modern RVs really support a patio deck on the roof?)

Reactions: softdown
#38 ·
28' seems ideal for me. Yet I have only learned of one manufacturer of a 28' Class A. Who may no longer be in business?

Pop outs? They are called slide outs. Yet I guess I need to quit calling trailers - campers.

Motorhomes do offer a lot more size than trailers - as a rule. The price will be 6-8 mpg compared to the 10-14 mpg possible with a diesel and some trailers. Plus you can't unhitch the truck and go most anywhere.

#29 ·
I have used some similar rigs in my stories that were designed for the types of scenarios in the OP. Some were based on a new purchase vehicle and converted by a commercial up-fitter. Others were DIY built from older and/or damaged rigs. Some were a combination. All were very similar in design.

Start with a diesel engine four-wheel-drive one-ton to two-ton chassis cab truck. Regular, extended, or crew cab. Build (or have built) a prepper friendly motorhome body on the chassis. No slides. Plenty of storage space, a generator, 48v DC solar panels, 48v DC battery banks, 48v DC to 120v/240v AC inverter.

Build (or have built) a support trailer. Usually, a tandem wheel trailer, using the same wheels and tires of the tow vehicle, but for the larger conversions, it could be a three-axle trailer. It is designed and built to extend the time that the rig can be away from supply sources.

Tankage is built into the frame, with insulated and heated tanks as needed. Diesel, gasoline, kerosene, POL, raw water, potable water, wastewater, 300-pound horizontal propane tank. A pair of battery boxes for 48v DC power system batteries.

Racks for 100-pound propane tanks, as well as 40-pound and 20-pound. Racks with jerry cans for gasoline, diesel, kerosene, POL, and water.

Racks and tool boxes for a variety of pioneer, recovery, and construction tools around the sides. A rack, cage, or box for a second generator.

Racks and reels for electrical cords, hoses, cordage, etc.

A platform with ramps is installed over the tanks, of a size to take a utility vehicle for use when the motorhome is parked. Usually, a small diesel pickup or SUV, though they could be gasoline. Space for a ROKON 2-wheel-drive bike and in-line trailer for off-road excursions.

Overhead 'pipe/lumber' rack to carry long items, spare tires, and solar panels. Foldover mounts for various Amateur radio and other antennas similar to the ones that would be on the motorhome. Fold-down 48v DC wind turbines.

In one version of the rig, the trailer had tool boxes on slide-out racks to allow access to the GMC Sonoma High Rider compact pickup truck it carried to keep the weight low on the trailer.

If anyone wants more details let me know.

Another pick-and-choose list. Items you want, install. Items you do not, ignore.

Just my opinion.

#36 ·
For survivalism - sure. For long term travel needs though? Building it yourself means building out of wood for most of us. That sucker is going to be heavy and will eventually vibrate apart under heavy travel.

Strictly for survivalism though? I would go incognito. Like using my car hauler - too big and heavy for extensive travel, fine for survivalism. Or my '93 box truck with its 454.

I'm more gung ho survivalist than 98%. Much less so than many here. I might be 85% geared towards travel - 15% geared towards survivalism.

Yes - the SHTF someday. In the next five years though? I started prepping in earnest in 2007. Things were more stable last year than from 2007-2010. Why not this year? Very possible wars in Venezuela and Iran. Can we keep out of Russia once in Iran? Can a scorpion quit stinging? Nothing more expensive than wars. Spending is our biggest threat.

Now the Dems are positioning a guy without stocks, bonds or a savings account as their chosen one to lead the biggest business in the world. Either that or a Marxist who never had a real job.

Jerry keeps saying "build". Is everyone here a builder? Am I missing something?

#30 ·
Here is a real world example of many of the features that Jerry mentions.

http://www.greataussieadventure.com.au/

This couple built a mobile home body onto a Unimog and now have it set up for long term camping. They detail some of their adventures camping without resupply for months at a time.

They even use a solar powered desalinator to be independent for fresh water when camped on the beach.

This photo shows one of their recent additions; a Landrover Defender 130 Dual cab on an A frame.

Attachments

#32 ·
There are many advantages to having a truck camper on the back of a 4x4 truck. It allows you to evacuate from just about any local or regional disaster, and not need anything for a while when you get somewhere safe. You can even tow a trailer, boat, or second vehicle if needed. Depending on the camper, you may still be able to get anywhere that the truck could go without it.

With a water filter and woodstove (yes, they make them for RVs) you could last a long time.

#33 ·
I owned a Lance camper mounted in the bed of my Dodge diesel pickup for most of the 30 yes I lived in the high desert of California. I found that I could drive on all paved, gravel, and dirt roads, and even on many desert 4wd trails.
While I was able to retire and move away from that extreme environment before any critical event occured, I very much liked knowing the Dodge was loaded with camping gear and enough fuel to drive 1500 miles.
Tonapah to Witchita was my Shtf plan.

#37 ·
The school bus is going to be sturdy as heck. But all those windows are a security and energy issue. Going to be hard to heat and cool.

Horse trailer - much the same. Horses are heavy so the trailer will be comparatively heavy. Aren't the top sides always open?

Strictly for survivalism? Sure. For somebody who wants to travel a lot? Something made for traveling a lot is a better fit.

#35 ·
Sure. Why not?

Bonus is that you don't stand out. So many of these on the road already.

Many RV's are subject to considerable maintenance.
Then don't have a complex one. No reason you can't build an RV that is off the grid. Wood stove, simple water pump, dry food stores. No problem. You can make it as simple as you want.

#40 ·
RV’s, especially diesel pushers, gas class A, and class C’s are horrible HORRIBLE investments. Depreciation is so awful with motor homes, coupled with the the flimsy cheap construction and the gas mileage they just do not make good investments unless you buy an RV and hold onto it for 20+ years. Good luck bugging out to the mountains on those bumpy forest roads in a Diesel pusher or class A. The people who buy RV’s and sell them every couple years to get a newer version don’t come across as the most intelligent bunch to Be honest.

Travel trailers and fifth wheels are a better option, because you always have the OPTION to use your tow vehicle as a back up bug out vehicle.

#42 ·
Motorhomes can pull a toad or dinghy (another auto). I have a Jeep that can climb ANY trail in Colorado. That changes the equation again. The only thing it is good at is extraordinary terrain and cruising at 55mph.

I have three old trucks - everything I have is old - I buy old. Only one has 4WD. With a gas 488 - I drive from station to station with that thing.

Whatever I buy - it will at least present as a deal. That usually means old and needing some work.

Looking for something to last 20 years. I keep stuff. I have time - not money. The only money I need is for supplies and the rest goes to - we all know. Stuff kind of required for modern living - property taxes, insurance, phone etc.

Sold a small house - I am told. May as well celebrate - life is short!

#41 ·
The other thing about motor homes is that they SIT for extended periods of time, which is hard on the engine, and when the RV is being driven the engine will always be under a heavy load, tires don’t last as long, when RV’s are stored they are stored outside (usually) and are exposed to the elements (sun, rain, hail etc.). Leaks can absolutely destroy a motor home.

#45 ·
In a true SHTF event, I would put a big fancy RV on the top of list for "Rob Me! I have $$$ and valuables!". Also, the large size coupled with a lack of off-road capability would make it very hard to disappear into the boonies and lay low for awhile.

#48 ·
Probably - but imagine the comfort compared to living out of a BOB.

I suspect that many of us may concentrate a bit too much on some of the worst scenarios.

The rest of the world still clamors to invest in the US. If they don't? May have to send them some freedom!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.