Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOV Chemical/Biologic Protection ? 72Malibu Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 36 05-07-2019 08:07 PM
Rugged Vehicle vs Plastic Vehicle InOmaha Vehicles & Transportation 35 02-06-2018 12:41 PM
Signs that a bug-out or SHTF is imminent? zooeyhll Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 147 12-19-2017 05:28 PM
Water Sources Around The Bug Out Location AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 07-31-2017 09:30 AM
Computer speaker wire extension questions TxHannah The Tech Zone 14 07-03-2017 04:45 PM

Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,774 Times in 889 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
It is a bit more work to take a vehicle back to that that quality. They aren't giving away new vehicles at this point either. I can rebuild a heck of a nice vehicle for the 50K a new truck costs.
Yup. I've said it for a long time. A person could literally take a 2nd gen Dodge and replace every moving part in the truck, including engine, transmission, transfer case, axles and a whole bunch of other things if needed, all brand new, and still spend less than a new truck costs. And it would be cheaper and easier to work on when it came time to do maintenance or repairs. Many people don't have that option though, since they're making ridiculous payments on that $50-$75,000 pickup truck (but that's another subject )
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 7,901 Times in 2,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
It is clear enough that you know more about vehicle mechanical/electronics than most of us here.

What is unclear is how much you know (or indeed could know) about what an EMP would do to them.

On the subject of fuel, if fuel might become unavailable after an EMP brings the grid down, then that would make having a stockpile of long shelf life fuel a good idea.....

That sounds like the case for having a diesel.......that you have said before, you don't like or recommend.
He has also previously stated quite unequivocally that he is NOT here as a prepper and doesn't buy into the mindset of being prepared for as many eventualities as possible.

His answers are VERY normalcy biased.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,877 Posts

I love a good debate....��

Let me explain myself a little better
Parts for old vehicles harder to find ... during a apocalypse.. if you want to call it that...lol. When you have to break into a parts store to get a part.... what will be easier to obtain...a part for a 40 year old vehicle....or a 10 year old vehicle...? My money rides on the 10 year old vehicle

Old vehicles...high maintenance. When was the last time you had to adjust your ignition timing on your 10 year old vehicle....did you have to adjust the carb? How about adjust wheel bearings....change that cap and rotor lately? How are those drum brake shoes wearing? Good stopping ability? Got your float in your carb stuck recently? ...etc....etc...
Had to adjust your belts lately? I can go on....and on....

Next.... I think I mentioned. Our modern day tech doesn’t know how to work on those old vehicles....some can....but many can not. I see it all the time in my field. If a laptop can’t connect and tell them the problem....they are stuck. I know some millennial era techs who can not do simple repairs on old vehicles.
Us old school guys....we aren’t getting any younger.

Fuel economy.... your carburetor in your Chevy truck is gonna drink more gasoline than my injectors....

Not everyone has a 12 valve Cummins Diesel. ...

Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 10,827 Times in 3,527 Posts

Quote:
Parts for old vehicles harder to find ... during a apocalypse.. if you want to call it that...lol. When you have to break into a parts store to get a part.... what will be easier to obtain...a part for a 40 year old vehicle....or a 10 year old vehicle...? My money rides on the 10 year old vehicle
True, but irrelevant.

Unless your vehicle is in terrible shape now you will never drive enough after the apocalypse to wear out a car of any vintage.

Actually I should say sort of true because if your vintage vehicle is one that was extremely popular and still has an avid following, like a beetle, you actually can walk in to parts stores and get parts for it without a problem. I've picked up starters, valve cover gaskets, ball joints, etc all for my 67 beetle based sand rail from the local Napa.

But again, irrelevant. Nobody is storing enough gasoline to wear out anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 02:39 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 7,901 Times in 2,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post

Old vehicles...high maintenance. When was the last time you had to adjust your ignition timing on your 10 year old vehicle....did you have to adjust the carb? How about adjust wheel bearings....change that cap and rotor lately? How are those drum brake shoes wearing? Good stopping ability? Got your float in your carb stuck recently? ...etc....etc...

Next.... I think I mentioned. Our modern day tech doesnít know how to work on those old vehicles....some can....but many can not. I see it all the time in my field. If a laptop canít connect and tell them the problem....they are stuck. I know some millennial era techs who can not do simple repairs on old vehicles.
Us old school guys....we arenít getting any younger.

Fuel economy.... your carburetor in your Chevy truck is gonna drink more gasoline than my injectors....

In today's auto parts stores you will have a hard time finding ANY parts beyond the most basic. Pretty much everything, "will be here on tomorrow's truck" now.

I also dare anyone to walk into a parts store and find what they need simply by looking through the stock shelves.

To top it off unlike in the past where there was a rack of parts reference books on the counter it is all done by computer now (not working when power is off due to shtf) so you better have every part number your vehicle could ever need memorized and know what they all look like. Don't forget that not all stores use the same numbering system either.
Old Today, 02:49 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 10,827 Times in 3,527 Posts

Quote:
I also dare anyone to walk into a parts store and find what they need simply by looking through the stock shelves.
I normally order everything because its cheaper and I hate people.

But while replacing the struts on my wife subaru tonight I found out the lower ball joint is shot....and she has to have it to drive to work in a couple days....so I'm going to the parts store tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

(Honestly, I never have an problem getting the parts I need, but I also have vehicles that where among the most common, at least for this area, of their time periods. Any parts store that doesn't have subaru ball joints in MT doesn't deserve to be open)
Old Today, 06:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,345 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post

Next.... I think I mentioned. Our modern day tech doesnít know how to work on those old vehicles....some can....but many can not. I see it all the time in my field. If a laptop canít connect and tell them the problem....they are stuck. I know some millennial era techs who can not do simple repairs on old vehicles.
Us old school guys....we arenít getting any younger.

agree with you on a lot of points, but to be a devils advocate, you're right probably can't find parts for an older vehicle locally as easily as a new one. OTOH, I can grease and repack an old wheel bearing, instead of having to find the exact hub to replace it with.

I can file points, clean and gap plugs, clean a dist cap, fab new plug wires, clean a carb, solder a brass float, make a serviceable v-belt from hose, etc.

newer vehicles most of that is impossible. OTOH (again), stale gas doesn't run for crap in a carb, but I've never had a modern fuel injected vehicle not run on bad gas.

so it's a trade off...best bet is to learn how to fix and maintain stuff so you can make anything work in a pinch.

personally i'm lucky that I know old stuff and the new computer stuff and have all the tools to diagnose and fix either.

Knowledge and tools are my biggest prep.