Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got One Man's Wilderness Richard Proenneke for $1 FU69 Books, Movies & Stories 1 11-18-2012 03:54 PM
The Frozen North - Richard Proenneke's Life in the Wilderness surviveoutinthewild Books, Movies & Stories 13 01-10-2012 07:20 PM
Richard's AR Quentin Military Weapons Forum 12 01-27-2011 02:03 PM
**** Proenneke Fans Time Walker Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 08-17-2010 12:12 PM
**** Proenneke Full Video caliguy2010 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 4 07-31-2010 09:01 PM
Where is the best place in the USA to do a **** Proenneke and Les Stroud?? caliguy2010 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 03-30-2010 09:38 PM
A true survivor **** Proenneke HikerDad Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 03-09-2010 07:40 PM
anybody ever hear of **** Proenneke ? hoosier70 General Discussion 4 03-08-2010 07:47 PM
**** Proenneke the hog Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 35 07-01-2009 03:34 AM

Old 06-26-2016, 08:01 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 13,842 Times in 3,506 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
And some would go totally insane from what is considered normal amount of human contact. It is a interesting experience to go six months alone isolated in a small arctic cabin. Even more interesting is the strange experience of the first hearing a human voice after six months.

Something I wrote, from my experience:

The wilderness can change a man............

There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not himself starts.

Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

I know not of drugs, but being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today.
Many of us can live vicariously through Proenneke's adventure simply because it is impossible to escape from the clutter of the modern age. Noise clutter ... material clutter ... social clutter ... financial clutter ... Proenneke was a lucky man.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Popeye Doyle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,621 Posts

I met him a few times when I homesteaded on Lake Clark. I have built three homesteads in Alaska over the last 46 years, and you can still do exactly what he did, assuming one has the skills. I am still building my last and final homestead. My first homestead was one of the very last under the Federal Homesteading Act. That free land opportunity closed in the early seventies. My first homestead was on the Upper Susitna River in the "Clearwater Country".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye Doyle View Post
Many of us can live vicariously through Proenneke's adventure simply because it is impossible to escape from the clutter of the modern age. Noise clutter ... material clutter ... social clutter ... financial clutter ... Proenneke was a lucky man.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,618 Posts

I clearly remember learning about Mr Proenneke as a Boy Scout in the early 70s growing up in Nebraska. That sparked something in me that has never died. One of the first things I did when I moved to Alaska was to fly out to Richard's cabin on Twin Lakes. My wife and I camped, hiked and fished the area for a few days in wonderful solitude. I still get chills up my spine thinking about it.

I am now a few years into living and improving my modest, semi-remote Alaskan homestead. I'm loving it and I owe much of my simple pleasures to Mr Proenneke. I just wish I had 1/4th of his considerable skill set!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:

Old 06-26-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post

Something I wrote, from my experience:

The wilderness can change a man............

There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not himself starts.

Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

I know not of drugs, but being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today.
Very well said. I've felt a taste even after backpacking trips, or just long road trips where I didn't interact with anyone for weeks. I am starting to loathe my hyperconnected world. I work in IT, so social media permeates everything... it is difficult in my normal life to "unplug" and so for me, a backpacking trip is a violent jolt back to reality. I have yearned of doing what Proenneke did, but still find myself reasonably trapped in the "modern" world... but always wishing to cut ties and return to the wilderness.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fletcher Christian For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2016, 05:34 AM
High Concept

Thanked 6,482 Times in 2,317 Posts

Been there done that. The cabin turns into a lodge, then family and friends want to be there, then the airstrip goes in and the satellite dish.
The aircraft hanger needs to be build because more and more time is spent out there with a crowd of people. Then emergency services request back up usage of your airstrip, and you build a cabin to house them and stray pilots scared of closing weather.
Uncle Rett ends up flying all the nephews, cousins he never heard of and their friends up to the lodge.

Then uncle Rett starts thinking about another area to build a nice quiet log cabin.