Be Careful What You Say, Amazon is Listening - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Try to be careful no matter what you're doing TxHannah Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 108 03-17-2018 09:39 AM
A good knife for every price under $100 - List panoz77 Knives, Swords & Axes 19 07-31-2017 07:59 PM
Time to ditch my Amazon account. Revelations 8 General Discussion 46 06-10-2017 12:39 AM
Online Reviews - Are they complete nonsense? Big_John Reviews and questions 28 05-09-2017 10:39 PM

Old 04-20-2019, 08:09 PM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,504 Posts

Advertise Here

Don't have or want one but this is a whole lot funnier than an Alexa......... https://youtu.be/YvT_gqs5ETk
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to JL1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 18,934 Times in 4,925 Posts

I can't imagine what the poor SOB's listening to me think... comedy gold right there! Or SJW triggering to the point of hospitalization...

I'm an Alexa fan. We have several throughout the house. Use it to control lights, locks, etc... The freaking stove is supposedly controllable, but I haven't jumped through those hoops yet. Listen to music, order crap, usual stuff.

Yeah, they're listening, but who cares? They'd have to employ 1/2 the population to listen to the other 1/2. Nothing I routinely say is of any interest to some random stranger... it might mortify my kids, but that's my job.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 PM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 21,168 Times in 9,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Certainly your money your choice. However to compare it to a car needed to get to town is a poor choice of analogies. You can't walk dozens of miles carrying 100's of pounds and more.
A healthy person COULD, it would just take a lot of time and a lot of trips. Or you could take an Uber, or order everything you need from Amazon or get Grub Hub and Dominos deliveries every day. I suppose that some folks could hitch a team of mules to a wagon for a trip to town. For many folks, all those solutions would be less convenient and/or more expensive than owning and driving their own car... but there are plenty of alternatives to driving a car.

Quote:
You can listen to music through dozens of different devices up to and including your phone without needing to talk to them. Also without a monthly bill.
Iím not sure why folks are so concerned about ďtalking toĒ Alexa. Voice control is just another convenient way to control a device. Itís no different than pushing buttons or turning knobs except that you can do it with your hands full and from across the room. The Alexa voice recognition is not perfect, but itís pretty good. It gets better, too.

Quote:
The Echo devices remind me of the Satellite radio craze. For a while everybody that was big into music had to be hooked up to the pay service. Forget the name of it. Think it went under a few years back.
Sirius XM radio is alive and well and growing.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-subscribers/

Quote:
Never was a big fan of having music as a constant background irritant to my life.
I have mild tinnitus, so I like to have some kind of sound all the time. Itís nice having the same music or program streaming throughout the house... Echo devices are a good way to accomplish that. Itís much easier than stringing speaker wires everywhere.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:31 AM
Climate change advocate

Thanked 28,153 Times in 10,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
A healthy person COULD, it would just take a lot of time and a lot of trips. Or you could take an Uber, or order everything you need from Amazon or get Grub Hub and Dominos deliveries every day. ...
You must be a urbanite. A healthy person can not walk 30 miles to the store and carry back enough supplies nor could he hold a daily job. A car is not a convenience to the many of us that do not live in the city with things like mass transit. And no moving to the city is not always a option for everyone or we will all starve when the farms and rural resource extraction ceases.

Having voice controlled items would only be a convenience for those who are handicapped to the point they could not simply walk over and throw a switch though there are remote controls for many devices which has some convenience. I laugh at the voice controlled TV remote being promoted lately. It is not like it was too hard to use a remote to change the channel.

I guess some will only be happy when they are in a vessel of nutrient broth with everything presented to them through a state of VR. Being free of having to exert any effort to having things happen for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 07:05 AM
M.R. Ducks

Quote:
Having voice controlled items would only be a convenience for those who are handicapped to the point they could not simply walk over and throw a switch though there are remote controls for many devices which has some convenience. I laugh at the voice controlled TV remote being promoted lately. It is not like it was too hard to use a remote to change the channel.
Our ancestors managed to survive without cars to drive OR switches to throw. However, our lives have been improved by technology like mechanized travel and electricity. Technology will continue to improve. It’s silly not to avail ourselves of new conveniences. Our descendants will marvel at the backwards age when we were forced to push buttons and twist knobs... and future hipsters will have “retro” devices in their trendy lofts with actual volume knobs.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Climate change advocate

Quote:
Our ancestors managed to survive without cars to drive OR switches to throw. However, our lives have been improved by technology like mechanized travel and electricity. Technology will continue to improve. Itís silly not to avail ourselves of new conveniences. ...
I agree entirely. I am just pointing out when something is just a trendy thing and not a real convenience. Computers are a real convenience. Talking to them is simply a passing fad. Like taking selfies.

ETA: While in between posting I made use of a actual convenience. My electric/hydraulic wood splitter. As a device it simplifies and adds to what I can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	286128  
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Through Knowledge, Peace

Thanked 7,683 Times in 2,839 Posts

I just heard a rumor about how advertisers are putting certain tones within commercials that allow Alexa to start recording the reactions people have to those commercials. Facebook is also included in this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unbelievable For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,667 Times in 6,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
I just heard a rumor about how advertisers are putting certain tones within commercials that allow Alexa to start recording the reactions people have to those commercials. Facebook is also included in this.
Every FB ad I click on and it first ask for any information before giving me information I report it as a scam.

It is one thing to advertise to me. It is a whole other thing to gather my info.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 04:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,668 Times in 845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
I have been saying this for years.

I think we were the last people in the US to buy a VCR.
Whatís a VCR?
Old 04-21-2019, 04:31 PM
No Longer Rambling

Thanked 8,260 Times in 1,978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
Whatís a VCR?
LOL, you are kidding, right?
Old 04-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Through Knowledge, Peace

Thanked 7,683 Times in 2,839 Posts

UK government adds '12,000 pieces of information' to Google Assistant and Alexa

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...ant-and-alexa/
Old 04-21-2019, 06:45 PM
M.R. Ducks

Quote:
I agree entirely. I am just pointing out when something is just a trendy thing and not a real convenience. Computers are a real convenience. Talking to them is simply a passing fad.
I think youíre mistaken about voice recognition interfaces being a passing trend. Now that processing power and microphone technology has improved, weíll see more and more devices that respond to spoken commands. Speech is a natural way for humans to express our wishes. For certain applications it will be the best way to issue instructions to our machines.

Selfies ainít going away, either.
The Following User Says Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 06:06 AM
Climate change advocate

Quote:
I think youíre mistaken about voice recognition interfaces being a passing trend. Now that processing power and microphone technology has improved, weíll see more and more devices that respond to spoken commands. Speech is a natural way for humans to express our wishes. For certain applications it will be the best way to issue instructions to our machines.

Selfies ainít going away, either.
I think that speech is not the best way to turn on simple devices. I think it is a outgrowth of people's science fiction fantasies where we have interaction with intelligent machines. They listen to us and respond in these stories. But the reality is speech recognition is not even that great among ourselves. Your fellow human when given verbal commands has just as much chance to screw them up.

There is no argument with a machine state of flipping a switch. No misinterpretation of words. But than again there is no comradeship. Your dog may not always fetch the ball when you say fetch but it gives affection. Should not want that from a bundle of wires and circuits designed for a task.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:13 AM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 21,255 Times in 7,760 Posts

Quote:
I think that speech is not the best way to turn on simple devices. I think it is a outgrowth of people's science fiction fantasies where we have interaction with intelligent machines. They listen to us and respond in these stories. But the reality is speech recognition is not even that great among ourselves. Your fellow human when given verbal commands has just as much chance to screw them up.

There is no argument with a machine state of flipping a switch. No misinterpretation of words. But than again there is no comradeship. Your dog may not always fetch the ball when you say fetch but it gives affection. Should not want that from a bundle of wires and circuits designed for a task.
You bring comradeship into this. When I flip a switch I'm not expecting comradeship, why would I expect it by using voice controls?

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
The Following User Says Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 AM
Climate change advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
You bring comradeship into this. When I flip a switch I'm not expecting comradeship, why would I expect it by using voice controls?
Because the purpose of talking (and writing for that matter) is communication between thinking living creatures. You expect/hope the other to understand, though it doesn't always occur. Machines in spite of clever programming are not intelligent. Not self aware. Can they follow a script? Certainly.

We will never create understanding robot friends.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 21,255 Times in 7,760 Posts

Quote:
Because the purpose of talking (and writing for that matter) is communication between thinking living creatures. You expect/hope the other to understand, though it doesn't always occur. Machines in spite of clever programming are not intelligent. Not self aware. Can they follow a script? Certainly.

We will never create understanding robot friends.
Unless the purpose of talking isnt about communicating between living things. Nothing states that it has to be between living things. Technology advances. Thats just the way it is.

I dont have any voice activated items in my house right now but I have in the past and it was very convenient.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
The Following User Says Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,854 Times in 5,564 Posts

Another way of dumbing down the thinking person.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Climate change advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Unless the purpose of talking isnt about communicating between living things. Nothing states that it has to be between living things. ...
We do use words to express ourselves to inanimate objects. But that is communicating with ourselves. I can simply command a light to turn on and then flip the switch. "On lights", I say.

One good thing about talking to yourself is you rarely misunderstand your point. Though arguments can still ensue. I usually avoid answering myself when I sense I am just venting out loud.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,551 Times in 4,286 Posts

I have an Alexa Echo in my kitchen. I use it for music or the weather mostly. Sometimes people that visit ask it questions and we get a laugh over it. I essentially live alone with 2 cats, those conversations are interesting I'm sure... get the bleep off the counter.... who puked on the carpet? We're low on beer and vodka....

At times I have put a kitchen pot over Alexa, I do the same with my cell phone. That goes in the oven now and then if I want to talk with someone privately, nice weather, we go outside to talk. My girlfriend stays a few nights a week and she loves Alexa for the music.

Talking around my phone about something random, I'll get ads on some computer sites as a result, so I'm sure the phone spies on me.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:56 AM
M.R. Ducks

Quote:
I think that speech is not the best way to turn on simple devices.
We’re not talking about a simple on/off switch on a simple device. It’s true that paying extra for voice recognition on a flashlight would be a little silly. However, the systems we use to play music are fairly complex systems, not simple devices. (Using the scientific meanings of “simple” and “complex.”)

Suppose I want to hear a particular song on my old school stereo system. I have to:
1. Go to the Den
2. Turn on the receiver
3. Select the CD input
4. Turn on the CD player
5. Open the tray
6. Find the CD
7. Load the CD
8. Select the correct CD on the changer
9. Select the correct track on the CD
10. Press play

It takes the use of two switches two knobs and an indeterminate number button pushes to get Rush to play “Red Barchetta.” It also requires me to know which CD that song is on, where that CD may be and which track number corresponds to my favorite Rush song. If I want the music in multiple rooms, it requires me to flip more switches and push more buttons on more devices. (And fret for a second about impedance matching.) That’s in no way daunting... but it is very much less convenient than saying, “Alexa... play Red Barchetta in the whole house.” Plus... I can say this in any room even if my hands are covered in latex paint or bread dough.

On top of all that, using the retro stereo, I will have to run back in the den six minutes later to push more buttons on the CD player... because nobody wants to hear YYZ again.

Quote:
But the reality is speech recognition is not even that great among ourselves. Your fellow human when given verbal commands has just as much chance to screw them up.
Again, one doesn’t hold a conversation with an Echo device. One uses one’s voice to control it. Alexa responds correctly at least 99% of the time... and it gets better.

Quote:
What I’m hearing from you is that you don’t want a voice activated speaker because it will never love you. You are right about that. I’m a little concerned that you might think that’s what they are for... but hey... I’m not responsible for anyone’s emotional health.

But, to clear up any misconceptions, an Alexa enabled speaker will not hold a meaningful conversation about your hopes and dreams. It will play tunes, news, podcasts, wake you up, tell you when 25 minutes have passed and help you remember to order batteries. You can also use it to call a therapist who will talk to you about your hopes and dreams... if you need that.