Be Careful What You Say, Amazon is Listening - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Try to be careful no matter what you're doing TxHannah Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 108 03-17-2018 09:39 AM
A good knife for every price under $100 - List panoz77 Knives, Swords & Axes 19 07-31-2017 07:59 PM
Time to ditch my Amazon account. Revelations 8 General Discussion 46 06-10-2017 12:39 AM
Online Reviews - Are they complete nonsense? Big_John Reviews and questions 28 05-09-2017 10:39 PM

Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Through Knowledge, Peace

Thanked 7,689 Times in 2,843 Posts

Advertise Here

I admit., I love the Alexa...... when its in other people’s homes and i can yell at it to play some good music.... other then that, its just more privacy intrusion.....

So many people think they have nothing to hide.

So many people also don’t realize all of the contracts the CIA has with amazon lol..

It is a nifty device. But like most of todays internet connected technology is THE BIGGEST double edged sword you could ever get involved with.

We have made things so easy in our lives, at the great expense of all things that made America America = PRIVACY!

Please tell me you have nothing to hide, and i will provide you a list of things to post here for everyone to take a look at.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unbelievable For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 PM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 21,782 Times in 9,712 Posts

I love Alexa. Just about every song ever recorded is available for the asking. Voice control of lights and other appliances, Hands free kitchen timer, alarm clock and appointment calendar, Those are the pros.

The cons are some Amazon employee might hear me talking to the dog. Its an easy choice for me.

There are 5 Alexa devices in my house now and three or four more are likely coming before the end of the year. I just noticed the Echo Input is on sale for $20... maybe I'll order one tonight.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:24 PM
Through Knowledge, Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
I love Alexa. Just about every song ever recorded is available for the asking. Voice control of lights and other appliances, Hands free kitchen timer, alarm clock and appointment calendar, Those are the pros.

The cons are some Amazon employee might hear me talking to the dog. Its an easy choice for me.

There are 5 Alexa devices in my house now and three or four more are likely coming before the end of the year. I just noticed the Echo Input is on sale for $20... maybe I'll order one tonight.
One for every room? Even bathrooms? Sicko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 06:17 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,391 Times in 10,398 Posts

Quote:

This kind of thought pattern is alien to me. If I want to listen to music I turn on my stereo. I fail to see why I should hold a conversation to do that. Turning on and off my lights is a simple wall switch. Voice controlled appliances? Really? What possible utility is there to that? The kitchen timer simply requires me to push a couple of buttons and there is no voice recognition difficulties like I get from the robotic answering devices when calling up any company these days. "I did not get that, say yes or no". My alarm clock is a very simple device though the last time I used it was 8 years ago. My appointment calendar is a actual calendar on a peg on the wall.

There is no pros to having a gadget that you talk to for simple everyday life. Your dog at least likes the attention.

What is it that is causing perfectly normal people to think they need a Alexa? Completely baffles me.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:55 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,592 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
This kind of thought pattern is alien to me. If I want to listen to music I turn on my stereo. I fail to see why I should hold a conversation to do that. Turning on and off my lights is a simple wall switch. Voice controlled appliances? Really? What possible utility is there to that? The kitchen timer simply requires me to push a couple of buttons and there is no voice recognition difficulties like I get from the robotic answering devices when calling up any company these days. "I did not get that, say yes or no". My alarm clock is a very simple device though the last time I used it was 8 years ago. My appointment calendar is a actual calendar on a peg on the wall.

There is no pros to having a gadget that you talk to for simple everyday life. Your dog at least likes the attention.

What is it that is causing perfectly normal people to think they need a Alexa? Completely baffles me.
+1

Yeah to me this device solves all kinds of problems that never existed in the first place.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,833 Times in 4,191 Posts

Kind of akin to being able to being able to say "toilet now", and one will come to you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cabinet Maker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:51 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,844 Posts

We were warned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doh Myn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:51 PM
M.R. Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
One for every room? Even bathrooms?
Yep. I need my tunes and news in the shower.

Quote:
This kind of thought pattern is alien to me. If I want to listen to music I turn on my stereo. I fail to see why I should hold a conversation to do that.
To each his own. Sometimes I go to the den, turn on the old Technics receiver, Sony CD Changer or Realistic Turntable and sit and really LISTEN to some Rush or Police through the big two-way speakers. That's a different experience from having Alexa play Bruno Mars, Stephen Sondheim or Dolly Parton as background music throughout the whole house while we're cooking dinner or doing laundry... or playing the news as we go from room to room getting ready in the morning. The Echo devices are great for casual listening, which is 90% of what we do.

We own a lot of CDs and albums... but we don't own them all. With Amazon music we can listen to the new Post Malone or Halsey.

And BTW, you don't hold a conversation with Alexa. You control it with your voice.

Quote:
Turning on and off my lights is a simple wall switch.
When your hands are full of shopping bags or covered in old motor oil, it's more convenient to just say, "Alexa, turn on the lights."

Quote:
The kitchen timer simply requires me to push a couple of buttons and there is no voice recognition difficulties like I get from the robotic answering devices when calling up any company these days. "I did not get that, say yes or no".
Again, when I'm elbow deep in mixing a meatloaf or have my hands covered in dead chicken, it's much easier to tell Alexa to set a timer. And BTW, Amazon's voice recognition is much better than an average voice mail system. It's not perfect, but it's very good and gets better.

Quote:
My alarm clock is a very simple device though the last time I used it was 8 years ago. My appointment calendar is a actual calendar on a peg on the wall.
Yep... if those work for you, keep using them. Some folks still use kerosene lamps and rotary phones.

Quote:
Echo devices entertain me and make my life more convenient.
The Following User Says Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,480 Times in 5,591 Posts

Reminds me of this article I read recently! LOL

Justice Department Sends Trump Amazon Alexa Device As Peace Offering For Spying

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C.—To make amends with President Trump for previously spying on his campaign during the Obama administration, the Justice Department sent a gift to the Oval Office. Trump had staff help him open a box marked "Amazon Prime" to reveal an Amazon Echo. The packaging for the Echo appeared to have been slightly tampered with.

"This is neat. What is this some kind of blue tusk thing?" Trump said. After correcting him to say he meant "blue tooth," staff helped Trump activate the Echo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 06:14 AM
Don't get me started

Quote:

Echo devices entertain me and make my life more convenient.
As I said Alien. I have never thought I needed to listen to music or anything while I shower. My purpose for showering is to get clean not to entertain myself. I have never had difficulty with turning on a light because I was unable to put a bag down to free up a hand. Though why I would have bags in my hands when it is dark is another strange activity.

Your Echo device simply costs you money to do things that you can easily do for yourself if you are a normally functioning individual. Now if you are handicapped that would be a different story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 09:38 AM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,510 Times in 1,863 Posts

There is no way I'd have an Alexa or anything like an Alexa in my home. It's bad enough that we are being spied on via our phones and computers and tablets. An Alexa-type thing could facilitate spying.

A few weeks ago, one of my friends was about to get a "Google Home" device (Google's version of Alexa). Then, her phone and computer were both hacked. She's now changed her mind about Google Home.

MattB4 said

Quote:
The convenience afforded by Alexa and similar devices is enticing to a lot of people.

Also, there is the status aspect of it: keeping up with the Jones's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post

The convenience afforded by Alexa and similar devices is enticing to a lot of people.

I fail to see any convenience to the devices. Though I will acknowledge the Hula hoop or Pet rock phenomenon of them. Almost as bad as the advertisement I am seeing recently about some phone that allows you to charge someone else phone. Really? Is that a real need or convenience? Deplete your battery so that some stranger has a partial charge? Amazing! Must buy!

Aliens!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Through Knowledge, Peace

Quote:

Let me guess? CNN!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 PM
M.R. Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelievable View Post
let me guess? Cnn!
NPR
Old 04-19-2019, 07:41 PM
No Longer Rambling

Thanked 9,592 Times in 2,316 Posts

Quote:
NPR
Just as bad. We need to cut funding to that BS channel ASAP
Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 PM

This product is insane we dont have it.
Wont have it. My friends got there kids and self each one thi past xmas and i honestly thought it was insane to do so... for many reasons including
Financially....why..
Security as mwntioned above....
Sensible..um no...
Radio is for radio..tv for tv..honestly we dont even own remotes the kids have broken in past so yah just like in the 80s we get up to change channel or volumn. Get off your asses..check the weather..look outside..turn your own lights off ..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katiecoupon13 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 PM
M.R. Ducks

Quote:
Your Echo device simply costs you money to do things that you can easily do for yourself if you are a normally functioning individual. Now if you are handicapped that would be a different story.
You could say the same thing about your car. Why do you need a machine to take you to the store when you can walk? Because it’s more convenient and enjoyable to drive than walk ten miles for a sack of groceries.

Smart speakers are entertaining and convenient but they’re not vital. I could easily do without them... but why would I? I have about $250 worth of Alexa devices throughout the house providing almost all the music, news and other audio entertainment I want... all for the asking. To recreate that same capabilities with traditional stereo equipment and music on physical media would cost thousands of dollars... and it still wouldn’t tell me when my meatloaf is done.

If you don’t want a voice-controlled audio player with instant access to millions of songs, thousands of podcasts and hundreds of radio stations or if you’re afraid an Amazon employee might hear you make a noisy poop... than an Echo device is not for you.

It is for me, though. Alexa is a good entertainment bargain for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 06:30 AM
Don't get me started

Quote:

It is for me, though. Alexa is a good entertainment bargain for me.
Certainly your money your choice. However to compare it to a car needed to get to town is a poor choice of analogies. You can't walk dozens of miles carrying 100's of pounds and more. You can listen to music through dozens of different devices up to and including your phone without needing to talk to them. Also without a monthly bill.

The Echo devices remind me of the Satellite radio craze. For a while everybody that was big into music had to be hooked up to the pay service. Forget the name of it. Think it went under a few years back. Never was a big fan of having music as a constant background irritant to my life.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 10:10 AM

I read an article one time where someone had Alexa and the couple fought one night. The wife threatened to call the cops and Alexa did. I don't think she would have followed through with the threat, but Alexa didn't have any problems calling the cops after the thing heard "call the cops". I wouldn't have one in my house.

My son bought a Xbox package deal and a Kenetic was included. After finding out what it did, it was put away in storage.

I don't have a smart phone or camera on my computer. However, I do have a tablet. I don't see it being a problem if I don't turn the camera on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zalam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,977 Times in 959 Posts

Got a kindle a long time ago.

Amazon installed Alexa without permission [using up space] say a year later. Turned Alexa off. Alexa turned itself back on multiple times. Alexa actually tried to carry on a conversation with the car radio. Kept turning Alexa off. It seems to be staying off.

[In previous attempts I had turned off the sound. I found Alexa turned it back on when it turned itself back on. So I would know when it comes back on. Can turn sound on and off as I wish.]

Contacting Amazon did no good. Couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to use it. Couldn't understand why I'd care about it taking up space. I was polite and didn't tell them they were morons for spouting their company's line. Hey, at least they have a job.

Do not have cable. Am on dial up so thus don't have a router [I think the Amazon rep had to look up what that was when I was chatting]. Don't talk to myself. If I am on the land line I figure it is easy for anyone to listen in if they want. Don't have a smart phone. Figure anyone who also wants to listen in can just use the cell towers.

Know people who have Alexa and Hey Google. Both systems are trash frankly. Tested them out. Typing info requests would be faster and more accurate.

Hey Google is probably listening in also.