Samsung Fold - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to fold down tailgates? .455_Hunter Vehicles & Transportation 32 09-04-2018 04:34 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 AM
hawk55732's Avatar
hawk55732 hawk55732 is online now
The Hawks Nest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,532
Thanks: 11,800
Thanked 21,255 Times in 7,760 Posts
Default Samsung Fold



Advertise Here

Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-fold/

Basically its a phone, that you can open up to be a tablet.
I have a 7 Edge. For a while I was thinking about getting a Note 9 because I take so many notes at work during meetings and stuff. However, I was then thinking that maybe it would be better to get a tablet with a pen. Now, with this it might be possible to have the best of both worlds. Unfortunately it doesnt come with a pen, though I suppose its possible it might work with one. I dont think that id get a first generation one since it is new technology but who knows, if they keep the design perhaps id get a future generation.

The 2k price tag is definitely the breaking point though.
__________________
Father, husband, son, Marine.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 10:12 AM
blacklab blacklab is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 199
Thanks: 300
Thanked 740 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-fold/

Basically its a phone, that you can open up to be a tablet.
I have a 7 Edge. For a while I was thinking about getting a Note 9 because I take so many notes at work during meetings and stuff. However, I was then thinking that maybe it would be better to get a tablet with a pen. Now, with this it might be possible to have the best of both worlds. Unfortunately it doesnt come with a pen, though I suppose its possible it might work with one. I dont think that id get a first generation one since it is new technology but who knows, if they keep the design perhaps id get a future generation.

The 2k price tag is definitely the breaking point though.

Itís a start and this is for early adopters of technology. I imagine there will be a lot of bugs and things to overcome. From what I saw the phone screen looked funky, you have to wonder what battery life will be like with the displays, and I am not sure how to come up with a case for people who like their products to have a little extra protection.

This is a product for people who have more money than me. I do think the concept is cool and hope it leads to something useful.

I personally want to see a flexible phone along the lines of old flip phones. Where I can fold it from top to bottom instead of side to side.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to blacklab For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 10:22 AM
blacklab blacklab is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 199
Thanks: 300
Thanked 740 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
Itís a start and this is for early adopters of technology. I imagine there will be a lot of bugs and things to overcome. From what I saw the phone screen looked funky, you have to wonder what battery life will be like with the displays, and I am not sure how to come up with a case for people who like their products to have a little extra protection.

This is a product for people who have more money than me. I do think the concept is cool and hope it leads to something useful.

I personally want to see a flexible phone along the lines of old flip phones. Where I can fold it from top to bottom instead of side to side.
And it looks like another company is doing this.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blacklab For This Useful Post:
 
Old 02-24-2019, 11:10 AM
AZ_HighCountry AZ_HighCountry is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: High country of Arizona
Posts: 5,418
Thanks: 1,406
Thanked 16,414 Times in 4,382 Posts
Default

Motorola was experimenting with this technology back in the late 90s. At that time still a lot of engineering problems to be worked out. One of the engineers on the program told me the objective was to literally be able to fold a device up and stick it in your back pocket like your wallet, etc. In other words, the device would not be constrained by the case; it would be capable of bending in any direction.

Glad to see that Samsung has been able to finally bring a 1st Generation device to market.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 11:32 PM
LibShooter LibShooter is offline
M.R. Ducks
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 16,065
Thanks: 6,091
Thanked 21,168 Times in 9,407 Posts
Default

Itís very cool... but for me, itís overkill. Basically, youíre getting three screens and 6 cameras in one package. Itís my observation that early iterations of devices that combine two or more functions are often not real good at any of the functions or/and are too expensive.

Also, it wonít let you take notes in the pad while talking on the phone, something I do a lot. So, for now iíll Stick to two separate devices.

Having said that, Iím pretty sure Iíll own one when the technology comes to the iPhone XV or something.

Thinking about it, the same technology might be better used in a folding tablet that could due duty as a laptop with a virtual keyboard on the lower screen.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:19 AM
varuna's Avatar
varuna varuna is offline
Dog & Reptiles eater
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Surabaya, Indonesia
Age: 40
Posts: 1,397
Thanks: 585
Thanked 1,296 Times in 683 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-fold/

Basically its a phone, that you can open up to be a tablet.
I have a 7 Edge. For a while I was thinking about getting a Note 9 because I take so many notes at work during meetings and stuff. However, I was then thinking that maybe it would be better to get a tablet with a pen. Now, with this it might be possible to have the best of both worlds. Unfortunately it doesnt come with a pen, though I suppose its possible it might work with one. I dont think that id get a first generation one since it is new technology but who knows, if they keep the design perhaps id get a future generation.

The 2k price tag is definitely the breaking point though.
Foldable display technology is still pretty new, and as such there are still plenty of "unknown" glitch

Suffice to say even IF i have the money to buy it I won't be buying it yet, at least not in another 5 years.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to varuna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:10 PM
AZ_HighCountry AZ_HighCountry is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: High country of Arizona
Posts: 5,418
Thanks: 1,406
Thanked 16,414 Times in 4,382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by varuna View Post
Foldable display technology is still pretty new, and as such there are still plenty of "unknown" glitch

Suffice to say even IF i have the money to buy it I won't be buying it yet, at least not in another 5 years.
You won't have to wait that long.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 PM
mauser6863 mauser6863 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,079
Thanks: 2,910
Thanked 5,914 Times in 1,542 Posts
Default

Samsung has been working on foldable displays for over 10 years. They have shown prototypes and even made mock commercial for them in 2013. Since (rich) people seem to get a new phone every year, I'm sure Samsung will have a hit on their hands with this one.

https://youtu.be/sAAie_Zf1pU

The ones that I have seen, are the displays that un-roll like a Roman or Greek Scroll, into basically a full size display.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 02:11 AM
KLF KLF is online now
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FIN
Posts: 1,021
Thanks: 76
Thanked 1,074 Times in 565 Posts
Default

Huawei's take on folding display:

It looks better than Samsung concept but... will it leak my data to china? :D

edit: last video was taken down, so here's a new one.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2019, 08:19 PM
hawk55732's Avatar
hawk55732 hawk55732 is online now
The Hawks Nest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,532
Thanks: 11,800
Thanked 21,255 Times in 7,760 Posts
Default

So been doing some more research on the Fold. Even if I had the money I wouldnt be getting it yet. Three fold. First, the price. Just couldnt justify paying that much for a device like that. Not at this time anyway. Second, its new tech. From my understanding they have had a prototype since 2017 and have been testing the heck out of the screen to see if it will break but its still new. Give it a generation or two and well see.
Third reason and the biggest, Ill wait till they come out with one that has a pen. That is one thing I would get this for. I have wanted to get a tablet with a pen to help with organizing all the notes I take but kept putting it off. If I could get one device that took the place of a phone and a tablet for note taking (and the price was a bit lower) I would be all over it. I can also think of alot of people who would get one for that reason as well.
__________________
Father, husband, son, Marine.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 AM
varuna's Avatar
varuna varuna is offline
Dog & Reptiles eater
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Surabaya, Indonesia
Age: 40
Posts: 1,397
Thanks: 585
Thanked 1,296 Times in 683 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
You won't have to wait that long.
Looking at the current price it's beyond reasonable doubt I couldn't afford to buy it before price goes down further in the next 5 years or so. Beside, I'm still using over 5 years old cheap phones (Xperia X10 mini, Xperia Z3, Lenovo S920, and Samsung S4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser6863 View Post
Samsung has been working on foldable displays for over 10 years. They have shown prototypes and even made mock commercial for them in 2013.

The ones that I have seen, are the displays that un-roll like a Roman or Greek Scroll, into basically a full size display.
The possible "glitch" of this foldable touchscreen tech is the nature of OLED which doesn't have as much longevity compare to LCD, moreover the touchscreen layer itself is pretty new tech.

Sony, LG, and Samsung has release rollable display few years back, however I haven't see any rollable touchscreen display yet.

Personally I do have a need for rollable touchscreen. With sufficient size I could develop mapping app with it (using the device GPS and variety of other sensors)
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 06:23 AM
AZ_HighCountry AZ_HighCountry is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: High country of Arizona
Posts: 5,418
Thanks: 1,406
Thanked 16,414 Times in 4,382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Third reason and the biggest, Ill wait till they come out with one that has a pen. That is one thing I would get this for. I have wanted to get a tablet with a pen to help with organizing all the notes I take but kept putting it off. If I could get one device that took the place of a phone and a tablet for note taking (and the price was a bit lower) I would be all over it. I can also think of alot of people who would get one for that reason as well.
That right there may very well turn out to be the #1 reason people don't adopt the device in this first release.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 06:24 AM
KLF KLF is online now
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FIN
Posts: 1,021
Thanks: 76
Thanked 1,074 Times in 565 Posts
Default

I wonder if the screen is soft and pressure sensitive like the old ones or capacitive touch like modern phones with hard glass screen.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 06:34 AM
varuna's Avatar
varuna varuna is offline
Dog & Reptiles eater
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Surabaya, Indonesia
Age: 40
Posts: 1,397
Thanks: 585
Thanked 1,296 Times in 683 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
I wonder if the screen is soft and pressure sensitive like the old ones or capacitive touch like modern phones with hard glass screen.
It's capacitive
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to varuna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 06:48 AM
hawk55732's Avatar
hawk55732 hawk55732 is online now
The Hawks Nest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,532
Thanks: 11,800
Thanked 21,255 Times in 7,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
That right there may very well turn out to be the #1 reason people don't adopt the device in this first release.
For this generation I agree, however, I have heard rumors that future generations will have a pen with it.

Personally I think they shouldn't have had so many cameras. 6 cameras! Seriously, who needs that many.
__________________
Father, husband, son, Marine.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 06:18 PM
AZ_HighCountry AZ_HighCountry is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: High country of Arizona
Posts: 5,418
Thanks: 1,406
Thanked 16,414 Times in 4,382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
For this generation I agree, however, I have heard rumors that future generations will have a pen with it.

Personally I think they shouldn't have had so many cameras. 6 cameras! Seriously, who needs that many.
Nobody needs that many cameras but once upon a time Bill Gates said 640K was enough too.

I can see a lot of potential uses for the device such as managing our warehouses, running the IMS off of it and being able to make updates / notes to on-hand stock, etc.

Will be watching this.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 06:54 PM
hawk55732's Avatar
hawk55732 hawk55732 is online now
The Hawks Nest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,532
Thanks: 11,800
Thanked 21,255 Times in 7,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Nobody needs that many cameras but once upon a time Bill Gates said 640K was enough too.



I can see a lot of potential uses for the device such as managing our warehouses, running the IMS off of it and being able to make updates / notes to on-hand stock, etc.



Will be watching this.
Can also see this being handy for people who have to do paperwork in the field as well.
__________________
Father, husband, son, Marine.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 06:15 PM
windexsunday windexsunday is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 58
Thanks: 42
Thanked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Nobody needs that many cameras but once upon a time Bill Gates said 640K was enough too.
FWIW, there is no good evidence that Gates actually said that.

-ws
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 06:29 AM
Watchingtheweasels's Avatar
Watchingtheweasels Watchingtheweasels is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,356
Thanks: 7,548
Thanked 15,708 Times in 4,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-fold/

Basically its a phone, that you can open up to be a tablet.
I have a 7 Edge. For a while I was thinking about getting a Note 9 because I take so many notes at work during meetings and stuff. However, I was then thinking that maybe it would be better to get a tablet with a pen. Now, with this it might be possible to have the best of both worlds. Unfortunately it doesnt come with a pen, though I suppose its possible it might work with one. I dont think that id get a first generation one since it is new technology but who knows, if they keep the design perhaps id get a future generation.

The 2k price tag is definitely the breaking point though.
I have a ZTE axon M. It's an interesting idea, but the reality is that when the device is folded, the second screen becomes an extremely slippery place to try and hold the device. Also, it prevents using any sort of traditional case (it would cover the back screen).

The phone itself is decent though, and was unlocked so I could enable developer mode, get in there with ADB, and strip out Carrier IQ and other spyware.

It looks like Samsung got around this problem by using three screens, one on the front and two inside with a traditional back.

But then again you can buy about 18 of the Axon Ms for the price of a fold.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 09:13 AM
KLF KLF is online now
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FIN
Posts: 1,021
Thanks: 76
Thanked 1,074 Times in 565 Posts
Default

There has been rumors about new Motorola Razr, also with a big folding display.

No official photos yet but this is a computer render by someone
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net