Is there a website you can go to to check which advertisers are targeting you? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The redirects are unacceptable to every website besides this one? JBryan314 Site Information & Suggestion Box 1 04-09-2017 10:44 PM
Comprehensive Fish and Bird Antibiotic Videos and Website NurseAmyDrBones Health, Fitness and First Aid 2 03-17-2017 09:41 AM
New conservative opinion website kev Political News and Discussion 0 12-09-2016 10:44 AM
**New Official President Elect Trump Website TXplowgirl Political News and Discussion 15 11-15-2016 09:35 PM

Old 02-02-2019, 03:45 PM
Through Knowledge, Peace

Thanked 7,683 Times in 2,839 Posts
Default Is there a website you can go to to check which advertisers are targeting you?

Advertise Here

I would love to see a website full of the ads that are targeting me and those that use the same router as me..... aside from survivalistboards.com, is there a website I can do to that has nothing but targeted banner ads on it based on my metadata/cookies?

Just saw an ad about rose gold wedding rings.... someone using my router has been searching for rose gold wedding rings... hmmmmm....

If there isnít a website out there that does this, perhaps it would be a great idea?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Unbelievable For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Crusty Old B*stard

Thanked 2,060 Times in 679 Posts

I don't have a way to find out which particular advertisers are trying to track me, but I use Ghostery to block the ad trackers. Ghostery is currently showing that it is blocking 10 trackers on this site while my Avast online security only found four on this site. You can get either/both of these for free -- just Google 'em. Some websites are getting a bit testy about us using blockers, and they'll try to get you to turn 'em off, but sometimes an "incognito" or "private" window will work around them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry The Cat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 26,841 Times in 7,055 Posts

You can do it on Facebook ads. It's buried in settings and I just got through doing it myself. There were close to 200.. As to the web, I don't know, but you can certainly stop it from happening by removing them. First, clear your cookies and then run the link below at least twice.

http://optout.aboutads.info/?c=2&lang=EN

Then, change your cookie settings to "from visited" instead of "accept all". On my iPad of have my cookie set to "never". If you do that, you have to first logon to sites like SB and then turn the cookies off..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:

Old 02-09-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
Just saw an ad about rose gold wedding rings.... someone using my router has been searching for rose gold wedding rings... hmmmmm....
Advertisers don't use IP addresses for ad tracking do they? Other than for location.

It doesn't seem like that would make sense. A single user could easily be surfing from multiple IP addresses, and a single router IP address could be used by many different people. Not to mention most consumer IP addresses are dynamic and can change at any time.

I think most tracking is done by cookies or social media logins.

-ws
The Following User Says Thank You to windexsunday For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 05:45 AM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,149 Times in 1,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windexsunday View Post
Advertisers don't use IP addresses for ad tracking do they? Other than for location.

It doesn't seem like that would make sense. A single user could easily be surfing from multiple IP addresses, and a single router IP address could be used by many different people. Not to mention most consumer IP addresses are dynamic and can change at any time.

I think most tracking is done by cookies or social media logins.

-ws
Yes some parties use your IP adress to track especially since many people are starting to clear caches at the end of a browsing session or when the browser quits.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:52 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 13,118 Times in 2,761 Posts

If you use the FireFox browser, install the free Privacy Badger extension.

Privacy Badger

It identifies every tracker and lets you selectively block any you don't want to follow you.

It shows me there are 14 trackers on this thread page. Privacy Badger automatically blocked all but 2 of them. In addition, there are 5 more that are gathering data, such as Google Analytics but are not necessarily tracking me.

Ads stopped following me when I installed Privacy Badger.

It looks like Privacy Badger is available for the Chrome browser, but I would not trust that because Chrome is spyware.

As Harry the Cat mentioned, Ghostery is also good, but it appeared to be slowing my browser down.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asag View Post
Yes some parties use your IP adress to track especially since many people are starting to clear caches at the end of a browsing session or when the browser quits.
Do you have any links on that? I have tried searching and everything I have been able to find indicates IP addresses are not being used for anything but location.

Thanks,
ws
Old 02-14-2019, 02:51 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,149 Times in 1,700 Posts

Quote:
Do you have any links on that? I have tried searching and everything I have been able to find indicates IP addresses are not being used for anything but location.

Thanks,
ws
Take my word for it I have used IP logs in counter fraud work. One application presented a multi layered links graph where you can select an IP and all other associated IPís, email addresses, phone numbers and even home addresses would appear in a linked network graph.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asag View Post
Take my word for it I have used IP logs in counter fraud work. One application presented a multi layered links graph where you can select an IP and all other associated IPís, email addresses, phone numbers and even home addresses would appear in a linked network graph.
That doesn't seem the same as targeted advertising, the subject of this thread. You could have an IP associated to a phone number, email address, or home address but that would only be accurate if it was a fixed IP address used by a single individual.

Example, say me and my wife have 3 kids. We are all browsing from the same IP address at home not to mention friends/family that come to the house. How could an advertiser use that IP address for a targeted ad? They wouldn't have any idea who is generating the traffic at that address. And if one of us use the internet when we are not at home we would have a different IP address.

For targeted advertising to be effective, the advertiser has to be able to identify a individual regardless of what IP address they are using with a high degree of accuracy.

Sure, you can have data that associates an IP address with a phone number, email or physical address. But it would be worthless if an ISP generates a new IP address for a particular customer and that customer's old ISP addressed is assigned to someone else.

Maybe I am just not getting itÖit wouldn't be the first time. But I don't see how an IP could be used for targeted advertising.

-ws
Old 02-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,550 Times in 618 Posts

Quote:

Thanks,
ws
This explains some of the methodology
They don't need your IP address.:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...-we-found-out/