Best device for internet... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Request for a Solar/Electrical expert WoodHavenHunter DIY - Do It Yourself 58 07-26-2018 08:56 PM
Tattling smart device automatically called police during domestic dispute. Justme11 General Discussion 19 07-14-2017 06:20 PM
Milwaukee TICK Tracking Device Don H General Discussion 1 06-27-2017 07:34 PM
GunAlert Bluetooth Device Can Spoil a Thief?s Day AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-08-2017 01:00 PM

Old 01-26-2019, 03:47 AM
Hiker

Default Best device for internet...

Advertise Here

I have a notebook computer (win 10) a desktop (Linux Mint) and a couple of cell phones. I find that the cell phones actually do the best job with using Skype - faster, few glitches, and all 3 are using internet from the same router. The notebook and phone are using wifi. The desktop is connected by cable. Is there some way to optimize a desktop or notebook to do a better job? I also have an android tablet with built in keyboard somewhere. I want to do teaching online so I need to have a bigger screen than 4" or 5".
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 04:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,195 Posts

My favourite device for internet access is a Dell Optiplex All In One computer that I got for nothing when
work threw them all out. It has a massive screen with speakers and a built in webcam for Skype.
I installed Ubuntu Linux on it through personal preference and it's pretty slick.
It runs NetFlix and Spotify too...
Old 01-30-2019, 04:59 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,791 Times in 9,803 Posts

Optimize for Skype? There is no optimization for Skype. If you're messages are delayed, you have bigger issues. Is that what you meant by optimize?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 05:02 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Optimize for Skype? There is no optimization for Skype. If you're messages are delayed, you have bigger issues. Is that what you meant by optimize?
Yes, it is slower - laggy a bit - than on my phone. Is there a bottleneck somewhere in the notebook? some settings in windows I can change to improve the situation?
Old 01-30-2019, 05:35 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,480 Times in 5,591 Posts

What are the specs on the laptop? My guess would be either too slow of a CPU or not enough memory. I'm not sure of the Mint variation, but I've used Ubuntu and it's a resource hog just like Windows. When the resources get used up, everything is slower including web pages. If you only have 2MB of memory like a lot of laptops do, I'm guessing thats the issue.

But you can update to the latest drivers for your wifi adapter and see if that helps.

Also, try to find out if Mint is autoupdating or something, using all your wifi by downloading. Windows does that **** to me all the time.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:20 AM
Hiker

I3, 8gb ram win 10
Old 02-01-2019, 09:12 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,791 Times in 9,803 Posts

Where are you Skyping to? If you are skyping out of country, it can have delays due to the hops it must take (across the internet). Cell phones would be much faster in this respect because of satellites (would be a more direct path).

We can do further testing of your internet connection with the recipient, but it's probably unnecessary.