New Prepper HAM Setup - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FarmerChads GreenHouse/Market Garden FarmerChad Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1387 09-03-2019 07:29 AM
Prepper Tips: Tomahawks and Hatchets AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-10-2018 10:30 AM
The Well Dressed Prepper AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-07-2018 09:30 PM
Simple solar setup Anonuser Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 07-15-2018 03:22 AM
Building a 50 Cal Ammo Can Radio Setup Reverend Bow Communications 66 02-01-2017 11:27 PM

Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Prepared

Default New Prepper HAM Setup

Advertise Here

I'm taking my Technician's exam on Feb. 2 so I'll be ready to add to my Baofeng UV-5RX3 Tri-Band Radio - VHF (136-174), 1.25M (220-225), UHF (400-520). I haven't had much use for the 1.25M band so I purchased a DBJ-1 Dual Band VHF/UHF 2 meter/70cm ham base antenna (75 watts max) to use with my HT.

Now I need a base station (non-portable) that will give me a little more range. I'd like to stick with just the VHF/UHF bands for now while I'm still learning and before I'm ready to commit the $$ into this hobby and buy a HF radio and antenna. I want to keep my current antenna so I don't want the unit to go above 75 watts. Any suggestions? New or used is fine with me.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NJPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 22,656 Times in 8,458 Posts

My first 2 M base was the Icom V8000. I gave it back to the guy that gave it to me because I couldn't find a second one for my truck. I bought 2 Yaseu FT-2900 80 W and the programming software/cable. I had to buy a larger power supply too. You can run them on less than full power. I have a small battery bank with LED lighting that I can use at the flip of a switch. Plus I have a ports to charge batteries and run the laptop off the bank. Can be solar except during the winter.

Ham Radio Outlet or giga parts. Radio $140, cable $50, power supply $50. I have a home made J-pole on a 20' pipe, a MFJ unit on 30' of pipe and a 2 M Yagi on a 25' antenna kit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 11:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,808 Times in 900 Posts

The difference between a Baofeng and a good base station radio is night and day, even with an external antenna on the Baofeng.

For me, first base was a Kenwood v71a but it's a bit pricey for a new ham. Great radio and still use daily. Dual band with a lot of features. Like most modern radios it benefits from a programming cable.

Like charliemeyer007 my next base was the FT-2900 which is 2m only. Also a great radio, simple to operate but like they said it needs a good power supply and you'll really benefit from the programming cable.

Have to second charliemeyer007 on HRO. Bought most of my vhf/uhf radios from them and all my hf rigs too.

Best of luck getting your tech ticket.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImbriD For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 05:49 AM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 28,648 Times in 8,324 Posts

As a Ham for a number of years, this is a common question. There are a considerable number of variables with your question.

Perhaps this link will help: http://www.arrl.org/buying-your-first-radio
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post: