Using startpage - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Senate votes to allow ISPs to sell your internet browsing history Mosinka General Discussion 43 04-01-2017 12:19 PM

Old 01-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Hiker

Default Using startpage

Advertise Here

I have been using startpage as my search engine for a couple of months. i was told that simply by using that instead of google.com I would be surfing anonymously. Is that true? or do I have to do something else?
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2019, 09:21 AM
No Longer Rambling

Thanked 8,298 Times in 1,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I have been using startpage as my search engine for a couple of months. i was told that simply by using that instead of google.com I would be surfing anonymously. Is that true? or do I have to do something else?
Short answer? Not true.

Longer answer? Are you signed into any sites? FB, twitter, google etc... many. many, sites have cookies installed on your computer that allows them to "follow you around the net" like a stalker.

You really want to surf anonymously? Buy a new laptop with cash. Delete the original OS and install Linux. Use a VPN. If you want to make accounts on sites like this, use fake names, fake email addresses, and give all phony information. See the why are so many people born on Jan 1 1970 thread for example
Even with the VPN never log on from your home ip. Some people have vans set up as offices and sit in the parking lots of shopping centers where there are multiple sources of free wifi. Look up "cantenna" on youtube to extend your wifi range. Move to different centers on a random schedule. Clear cookies at least daily.
Never use any social media. If you must, all fake info. Never use a credit or debit card online.
The only trick left to learn, AFAIK, is how to mask or change your MAC address.
I am sure there are other tricks the professionals know that I don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 02:07 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,149 Times in 1,700 Posts

@ A SonOfLiberty

The Home Workstation install of Parrot OS is looking like a good bet for all round low profile activity. I have run it natively and virtually for the last month or so and no complaints on the straight install.

https://www.parrotsec.org/download.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post:

Old 01-07-2019, 02:27 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 20,963 Times in 7,945 Posts

They record everything on the net. If they want to find you they can. I'm not worried about what I write but I think they can manufacture anything they want. For example false pings sent to a cell tower from your phone - yea prove it wasn't you and your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post: