Using startpage - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Senate votes to allow ISPs to sell your internet browsing history Mosinka General Discussion 43 04-01-2017 01:19 PM

Old 01-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Hiker

Default Using startpage

Advertise Here

I have been using startpage as my search engine for a couple of months. i was told that simply by using that instead of google.com I would be surfing anonymously. Is that true? or do I have to do something else?
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,970 Times in 2,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I have been using startpage as my search engine for a couple of months. i was told that simply by using that instead of google.com I would be surfing anonymously. Is that true? or do I have to do something else?
Short answer? Not true.

Longer answer? Are you signed into any sites? FB, twitter, google etc... many. many, sites have cookies installed on your computer that allows them to "follow you around the net" like a stalker.

You really want to surf anonymously? Buy a new laptop with cash. Delete the original OS and install Linux. Use a VPN. If you want to make accounts on sites like this, use fake names, fake email addresses, and give all phony information. See the why are so many people born on Jan 1 1970 thread for example
Even with the VPN never log on from your home ip. Some people have vans set up as offices and sit in the parking lots of shopping centers where there are multiple sources of free wifi. Look up "cantenna" on youtube to extend your wifi range. Move to different centers on a random schedule. Clear cookies at least daily.
Never use any social media. If you must, all fake info. Never use a credit or debit card online.
The only trick left to learn, AFAIK, is how to mask or change your MAC address.
I am sure there are other tricks the professionals know that I don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 03:07 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,957 Posts

@ A SonOfLiberty

The Home Workstation install of Parrot OS is looking like a good bet for all round low profile activity. I have run it natively and virtually for the last month or so and no complaints on the straight install.

https://www.parrotsec.org/download.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 03:27 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,694 Times in 9,017 Posts

They record everything on the net. If they want to find you they can. I'm not worried about what I write but I think they can manufacture anything they want. For example false pings sent to a cell tower from your phone - yea prove it wasn't you and your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
That is the claim (https://www.startpage.com/en/search/proxy-help.html), but I'm a cynical tinhatter. With all the revelations of Snowden, I'm unsure "surfing anonymously" 100% is even possible. I think the best you can hope for is to make invading your privacy so difficult (and expensive) that Big Bro, blackhatters, corporate spooks, etc., will either choose not to, or choose to do so rarely:

https://www.lifewire.com/anonymous-web-basic-3482839

https://www.csoonline.com/article/29...ne.html?page=2

https://www.fastcompany.com/90316917...online-privacy

https://ssd.eff.org/en

https://restoreprivacy.com/category/guides/
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
Short answer? Not true.

Longer answer? Are you signed into any sites? FB, twitter, google etc... many. many, sites have cookies installed on your computer that allows them to "follow you around the net" like a stalker.

You really want to surf anonymously? Buy a new laptop with cash. Delete the original OS and install Linux. Use a VPN. If you want to make accounts on sites like this, use fake names, fake email addresses, and give all phony information. See the why are so many people born on Jan 1 1970 thread for example
Even with the VPN never log on from your home ip. Some people have vans set up as offices and sit in the parking lots of shopping centers where there are multiple sources of free wifi. Look up "cantenna" on youtube to extend your wifi range. Move to different centers on a random schedule. Clear cookies at least daily.
Never use any social media. If you must, all fake info. Never use a credit or debit card online.
The only trick left to learn, AFAIK, is how to mask or change your MAC address.
I am sure there are other tricks the professionals know that I don't.
Linux is good.
Even better and run Virtual Box, run a Linux VM on your machine
specifically for browsing.
Set the MAC address of this VM manually in Virtual Box.
Install the TOR browser and use that for browsing.
Periodically restore the VM to it's original snapshot.
If you ever use a normal browser (not TOR) such as Firefox, install Ghostery to
prevent storing cookies.
The Following User Says Thank You to tiberius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Bad Dog

Thanked 17,043 Times in 3,627 Posts

pengyou, you are misinterpreting what Start Page does.

Start Page does not allow you to surf anonymously. If offers the ability to search anonymously.

From what I read about Start Page's Anonymous View, it appears to be a cookie blocker. That helps eliminate ad tracking. In other words, when you look at an item on Amazon.com, ads for that product should not follow you around the web.

Google, on the other hand, records everything you search for. They do use that in part to personalize your searches. In other words, if you frequently visit a site, that site will show up more often in search results and will rank higher in the results. Any site you visit that displays Google AdWords advertising gives Google the ability to track the sites you visit.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,970 Times in 2,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Linux is good.
Even better and run Virtual Box, run a Linux VM on your machine
specifically for browsing.
Set the MAC address of this VM manually in Virtual Box.
Install the TOR browser and use that for browsing.
Periodically restore the VM to it's original snapshot.
If you ever use a normal browser (not TOR) such as Firefox, install Ghostery to
prevent storing cookies.
I am actually just starting to play with virtual machines. I just learned of their existence a couple of days ago. I am sure there are even more tricks I don't know about yet. Like server bouncing. I know the theory behind it, and have even done it to a very limited extent; but I can't seem to bounce to and from multiple servers in a daisy chain though I know it can be done.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,275 Times in 18,790 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
I'm at the point in life where I don't believe anything I see or hear. I'm doing everything I can to protect my privacy. I use the Dissenter browser; I use DuckDuckGo search engine; I use uBlock Plus; I use Ghostery. I don't watch YouTube and never surf the net using Google. My next move is to get a good, solid, proven VPN (virtual private network) but there's a fee involved so I want to choose wisely.

Having looked at several sites, it appears that NordVPN is routinely found in the top 5 best VPN services.