Fallout 76 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's BOOFM! (Build our own fallout map) CONELRAD Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 151 06-24-2019 09:15 PM
What are you playing? kev The Tech Zone 896 05-09-2019 07:34 AM
What is in your survival library? Nitromater Books, Movies & Stories 40 01-02-2019 09:00 PM
Article - Developing a Well Rounded Survivalist Library kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 05-11-2018 01:29 AM

Old 12-04-2018, 01:17 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,651 Times in 1,625 Posts
Default Fallout 76

Advertise Here

Any fans of the game here?

At first I had no interest. The reviews have been brutally horrible. A good friend at work urged me to give it a try, particularly because he'd heard I really enjoyed Skyrim. I gave it a shot, and I'm really enjoying it.

The constant need to find food, water, and resources makes for an interesting dynamic.

Anyhow, anyone else giving it a go?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to CaffeineBuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 01:37 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 28,831 Times in 9,496 Posts

Give me a review. I'm suspecting that they will eventually get like ESO and you have to have a membership to get benefits, you have to purchase special clothing, and then there are the DLCs.

Is it like Fallout 4 survival mode?
How are they doing targeting?
The original reviews said it was going to be online play with very little solo play... your thoughts?
Old 12-04-2018, 02:52 PM
No Longer Rambling

Thanked 8,340 Times in 2,006 Posts

Fallout 4 survival mode is cool if somewhat unrealistic. The long dark is a bit better for realism imo.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:

Old 12-04-2018, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Give me a review. I'm suspecting that they will eventually get like ESO and you have to have a membership to get benefits, you have to purchase special clothing, and then there are the DLCs.

Is it like Fallout 4 survival mode?
How are they doing targeting?
The original reviews said it was going to be online play with very little solo play... your thoughts?
I've not played any of the prior Fallouts.

If you are familiar with the targeting and combat style in Skyrim, they use the same engine.

The world they created is gorgeous. My wife crochets and she loves to sit with me while I game and watch. We both agreed that this might be one of the most visually impressive games I've played.

There is an element to the game that I'm getting used to and that is the AP system. You have to keep fed, and hydrated. If you become too hungry or dehydrated, your action points deplete more rapidly, which means you can't fight or travel as effectively or for as long.

Another management issue is your health and radiation levels. Some parts of the map, food, and water all have varying levels of radiation that you have to avoid, mitigate, or reduce with drugs. If you jump into a toxic lake, you may not survive long enough to swim to the other side....or get out alive.

The crafting system is very complex and robust. Lots to loot, salvage, and scrap.

I really love the base building aspect. The portable camp system allows you to put down camp and build a camp or fort of your liking, including crafting stations, storage, bedding, windows, roofs, etc.

Despite what they say, this is not an MMO. 16 people max on a server. At best, I'd call this co-op play. I most enjoy the game playing solo, but I have buddies that play and I join with them if they get on. It's a hoot to yuck it up with the squad.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,427 Times in 8,135 Posts

It lost me when it ditched the single player.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 04:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 6,809 Times in 1,015 Posts

They just up the stash weight from 400 to 600 lbs and I already filled it. At least my character has 130 lbs of space now.

Vats still work but it no longer freezes the game so you have to act quickly.

I still think some of the perk cards are broken such as scrapper. Just scrapped an assault rifle and only got 3 extra steel due to the perk. No springs screws ect.

Only ran into problems with other players killing me twice. Once was an event where people team up and I accidently hit the other player with a full auto gun when a mole rat was biting him. This trigger pvp. Other time was just a a hole who was 5 times my level trying to start a fight but was able to out run him.

I do feel that we have to eat to often. I probably eat 10-20lbs of food in 24 in game hours which seems unrealistic.

Game crashes maybe once every 5 hours usually one a load screen or when I try to team up with a friend and have to switch maps.

It is fun playing with a friend if you play with the same person for the whole run through. Have not really tried playing with random people.

One issue I have is there is only two vendors in the game. One vendor is a set of robots and shares the 200 caps they have to buy loot and the other vendor has 200 caps but wanders around so only found him once. It takes a whole day in real world time for them to get more caps.

Over all 7 out of 10 from a big fallout fan. Probably worth 35 dollars not the 60 dollars I paid when it came out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 05:01 PM

Mine just crashed. Probably have to un-re-install.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Concerned

Thanked 1,559 Times in 516 Posts

It's ok. No NPCs and no real objective has the game feeling a but empty (my opinion).

Its definitely not as bad as all the reviews say but not as good as 4 either.

I mainly play it because I am from WV and have been to many of the places in the game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Jon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 05:36 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 21,332 Times in 7,782 Posts

I havent played it yet. I just dont get the point of having no NPCs in it. Doesnt make sense to me. If it actually had people that you interacted with I would try it out, otherwise, ehhhh.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Old 12-04-2018, 06:58 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,692 Times in 505 Posts

Not happy about the Game I've played all the Fallout games I like single player only, but in the same token I'm level 50 now so yeah I'm playing it, today's fix seems to of helped, it seems I spend a lot of time looking for resources to repair Armor and weapons. The locations are pretty good since I've been to a few of them in the real world it seems these guys do their homework. I'll continue to play it and wait to see what Bethesda has to offer in the way of DLCs later.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:28 PM
The Hawks Nest

One complaint I found people had was a bait and switch that Bethesda did. If you pre ordered it and got the collectors edition you were suppose to get this canvas bag.
It stated it was canvas on the site, looked canvas and there was a video of them stating it was canvas.

Turns out they weren't able to make enough of the canvas ones so they changed it to a cheaper material. Supposedly there is a lawsuit going on about it.

- Tyler Durban
The Following User Says Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,692 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
One complaint I found people had was a bait and switch that Bethesda did. If you pre ordered it and got the collectors edition you were suppose to get this canvas bag.
It stated it was canvas on the site, looked canvas and there was a video of them stating it was canvas.

Turns out they weren't able to make enough of the canvas ones so they changed it to a cheaper material. Supposedly there is a lawsuit going on about it.
I read today that Bethesda is going to make good on those Bags, My son ordered one of those kits and his was not canvas either.
The Following User Says Thank You to ncwebnut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 PM
The Hawks Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwebnut View Post
I read today that Bethesda is going to make good on those Bags, My son ordered one of those kits and his was not canvas either.
If that is the case I am glad to hear that they are.

- Tyler Durban
Old 12-05-2018, 08:24 AM
VIP Member

So far, I have been unable to place a template or saved camp.

When you log into a world, if someone else has a camp near yours, the camp is stored. It doesn't cost to move it, but finding identical terrain is nigh impossible.

It would also be nice to be able to zoom way out when in buidling or modifying mode.

I hear stash limits are eventually going to 800.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,180 Times in 4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz View Post
Any fans of the game here?

At first I had no interest. The reviews have been brutally horrible. A good friend at work urged me to give it a try, particularly because he'd heard I really enjoyed Skyrim. I gave it a shot, and I'm really enjoying it.

The constant need to find food, water, and resources makes for an interesting dynamic.

Anyhow, anyone else giving it a go?
No, but I'm playing "The Long Dark", and it's fantastic. Going to write a short review on it soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 09:06 AM
The Hawks Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
No, but I'm playing "The Long Dark", and it's fantastic. Going to write a short review on it soon.
That's a good game. One complaint though is that you can eat 5k of calories and starve to death within a day.

- Tyler Durban
Old 12-05-2018, 05:02 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,180 Times in 4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
That's a good game. One complaint though is that you can eat 5k of calories and starve to death within a day.
Try playing in "Voyageur" mode. Tends to be the most realistic.

Playing in "Stalker", or "Interloper" is probably unrealistically difficult.

"Stalker" is a real challenge. Probably more than realistic. "Interloper" is like "Insane" mode. I can never get past 5 or 6 days on "Interloper".

There's also a "custom" mode. That's what I play with. However, some of the settings are a little ambiguous. You'll have to experiment until you find your niche.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 AM
LEGAL citizen

Wait, they said this was going to be massively online where you could start your own towns, group with others and if you wanted, you could attack or raid other people/towns. A little hard to do with a max of 16 people online.

At least in ESO, I can raid a keep and have a simulated battlefield with 100 other people online.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:24 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Wait, they said this was going to be massively online where you could start your own towns, group with others and if you wanted, you could attack or raid other people/towns. A little hard to do with a max of 16 people online.

At least in ESO, I can raid a keep and have a simulated battlefield with 100 other people online.
I never raided in ESO. I player for a bit and put it on the someday maybe list. Seemed really well done.

The world is massive. The server population. ..on average 4-6 players.

You could group up and place your camps together to build a small town, but it could be gone the next day if you log out
Old 12-07-2018, 09:06 AM
LEGAL citizen

Sounds like it's setup like ARK. If that's so, the Chinese teams will swamp the servers and take over... they always do.