Making and editing your own videos - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Editing a post DRGREENE Site Information & Suggestion Box 5 09-23-2014 01:18 PM
A Rookie, such as myself making videos.. A Sacred One Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 22 07-19-2014 06:03 PM
Editing txflyer Site Information & Suggestion Box 4 09-04-2012 11:55 AM
Making videos freeware speedofl33t The Tech Zone 2 08-29-2010 07:09 PM
post editing shadowman Site Information & Suggestion Box 2 08-25-2010 09:50 PM
Two videos of me making a sword. Could make a knife to this way. survivalebooks Knives, Swords & Axes 0 09-30-2008 07:53 AM
Editing Videos with Windows Movie Maker Josiah922 The Tech Zone 0 02-19-2008 03:36 PM
Forging and making a knife, videos Yorkshire Boy Knives, Swords & Axes 5 12-16-2007 08:17 PM
videos - making your own water filter kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 08-06-2007 03:03 PM

Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,149 Times in 7,819 Posts
Default Making and editing your own videos

Advertise Here

For those of you that want to make your own videos, there are just a couple of things you will need.

1 - is a video camera (duh).

My videos were filmed with 2 different Sony cameras. One is a DCS-W5. This camera records video in MPEG format, in 640X480 resolution.

The other camera is a Sony DSC-S650. This camera films in AVI format and in 320X240 resolution.

The second camera, the Sony DSC-S650 makes the worst looking videos. When the video is resized to fit youtube, the picture looks grainy. So if you are looking to buy a digital camera, look for one that films in 640X480 resolution.

2 - Video editing software.

I use windows movie maker that is part of windows XP, Media center and Vista. If you have XP, with service pack 2 installed then you have movie maker.

To access movie maker, click start, all programs and look for Windows Movie Maker. Or - click start, run, type in moviemk and click ok.

Open the folder you have your videos files in, click on the video and drag it to the middle of the movie maker screen. The video file will appear on the movie maker screen, then click the video and drag it to the time line.

To trim the video, click the video clip in the time line, move your mouse pointer to the end of the clip, you pointer will turn a red color. Click the end of the video clip and move the mouse to the side. This will shorten the clip.

To cut the video clip into segments, click on the video clip, click on the time line were you want to cut the video. In the tool bar at the top of the movie maker window, click - clip, then split. Then click on the video clip you want to remove and hit your delete key.

I find the split useful for inserting still pictures in the middle of the video.

To insert text into the video, click on the video clip, in the left column click "Make titles or credits." Select your text color, font size, and background color.

This should be enough information to get the ball rolling on making your own videos.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Crack A Joke, Split A Gut

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Great! I was looking for some info on this! Now I can make some videos! Big TY
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulycracker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2008, 09:23 AM
SURVIVOR

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 2
Thumbs up Movie Maker.. Help

Thanks Kev..i Woulda Never Known That I Had That Program..i Was Lookin For A Movie Maker/remixer Cuz Youtubes Remixer Is Crap. Ur A Good Dude,
Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AAPEXX For This Useful Post:

Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Gun Clinging "Deplorable"

Thanked 48,759 Times in 17,171 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I've had a Sony video camera for several years and have only made one video that lasted about 2 minutes. I'll dig the thing out and try my luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Local BAMF

And for us Mac users out there, your computer came with iMovie which used to be pretty darn good but is now a merely tolerable movie editor (IMO). If you look at my youtube channel, those were edited with iMovie.

Back when iMovie was more capable, I used to use it for the wedding videos that I was was being paid to shoot. Now I find it to be barely useful for amateur Youtube videos.
The Following User Says Thank You to yonder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 AM
nollart

Kev,
Off the subject slightly. I was looking at a video of a seminar you gave yesterday, got sidetracked witha phone call and lost it. I haven't been able to remember the title other than I thought I remember seeing google techtalk somewhere on it. Can you identify it for me. I'd love to finish viewing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nollart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2008, 08:39 AM
CHEERS :p

Thanked 1,843 Times in 766 Posts

one qiuck question....

can i upload the movie from my pc to this site or does it have to be hosted by youtube or something similar....
The Following User Says Thank You to Tugger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2008, 09:15 AM

I know a little bit about video cameras and editing. I have a HD camera and use Sony Vegas. I've thought of doing a Survivorman or Man vs Wild spoof.
The Following User Says Thank You to PithHelmeteer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Diamond Dog

Thanked 1,077 Times in 510 Posts

I've got an HD camera and a bunch of software, i like to make movies..
The Following User Says Thank You to Mittelmorder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Hey thanks for the information. I'm just getting started with doing video. I've never done any video posting so I may be back with questions

Thanks

db
The Following User Says Thank You to davidb For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2008, 02:24 PM
woefully unprepared

Vegas is awesome. It's pretty straightforward and logical for the beginner, and it is very capable for anything you'd want to do as you get better. Lots of knobs and buttons.
The Following User Says Thank You to HotPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I use windows movie maker and have made Class A movies.

So, if you dont want to buy an expensive program, it works just as good.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallGame2100 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,932 Times in 4,249 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

I use a FLIP and a Mac Mini with Imovie.. I'm a happy camper, have done 57 videos that way so far for YouTube... of course, it did take me a year to figure how to use both...
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Aspiring survivor.

I use Camtasia. It's small, about 20Mb and you can purchase it for about $200, or download it for free if you were that way inclined from the many bit torrent sites.

Quite similar to movie maker, but has a few features that makes it more intuitive. Nice narration interface.

Also, you can do realtime screen grabs of anything you do on the screen and zoom in and pan easily too. Maybe useful for discussing maps or something on the computer perhaps?
The Following User Says Thank You to spock0149 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Knife Maker

That was very clearly stated. I have used movie maker only a couple of times when inserting video into a power point file. It is a fairly easy program to work with.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmac27 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 AM

I found Moviemaker to be just what I need (after buying a couple of $70 programs that gave me headaches). It's easy enough to understand for a novice like myself, and I can see that it has plenty of power if I want to get ambitious.

BTW, I've been having fun making movies out of my photos and adding a music background (just put together a slideshow of a recent pub crawl with ZZ Top accompanyment). Easy to do with Moviemaker.
The Following User Says Thank You to bad daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 05:22 PM
My will not all the world

Cool A (not so) Quick Video Tutorial

As far as the needs of 99% of the population are concerned, a Handicam and Windows Moviemaker are more than sufficient for your needs; you'll be able to get some tape into the computer, edit it, and spit it back out no problemo. It's when you start looking to do things a bit more complicated that things get...well, for lack of a better term, we'll use "more complicated" again.

As far as the camera itself goes, if you're looking to bump up to a more professional looking digicam, you'll need to look into more of the prosumer type cameras. As far as the bottom rung of the "I wanna be taken seriously, but while on a budget" cameras go, I'd recommend the Panasonic HVX200 or the Canon XL2.

The benefit of the HVX is that (when shooting P2, I haven't had amazing experiences with an HVX on tape) it's HD capable, and able to pull some pretty wicked color detail for the price. The major downside to it is that it's really bad at shooting low-light, and the only way to switch lenses on it is to get some sort of adapter like the Letus, and that drops its ability to shoot low light by about ANOTHER stop, so look out for that. All and all, though, it's pretty reliable, and turns out quality product (I know of two low-budget films recently shot on the HVX200, and they've both secured distribution).

The Canon XL2 is tape only (perhaps the biggest downside with it), so it's not HD capable, but it's reliable, and what it DOES turn out is damn pretty. I've had a buddy shooting on XL2 for about 5 years now and he's done several major regional television commercial ads with it, won a few awards, it does its duty.

Both of these will run you a few grand.

For a more serious prosumer camera, I've become a big fan of the Sony Z7U. It shoots in the Sony native HDV format, and is able to turn out some REALLY sweet footage. It shoots wonderfully at 1080 HD, and the interchangeable lenses are able to really bump the professionalism up a few notches with the whole crushed depth of field look. It also is able to shoot both to tape and compact flash simultaneously, which pleases me greatly, as you're able to simply capture digitally straight from the CF, and keep the tapes as a hard back up, just in case of such an occasion as you might need it. The HDV format DOES compress your footage more than the Panasonic, but if you get an external hard drive capable of pulling and recording data at a higher bitrate off of the HDMI stream, you can circumvent that, record to THREE places at once, and get a 4:2:2 chroma subsampling as opposed to HDVs 4:2:0, so there's a lot of benefit to be had. To get this camera with all of the bells and whistles, though, would be around ten grand, so it's sorta beyond anyone who's not looking to be making some scratch out of the whole deal.

Another option for the serious filmmaker is the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and other cameras of its ilk coming out shortly. They're pretty serious business from everything I've seen. Their footage looks amazing even straight from the capture, and the depth of field is gorgeous. The fact that you're shooting on DSLR lenses (the camera IS a DSLR, so it sorta makes sense) makes each image quite gorgeous. I haven't heard much bad, and they're pretty cheap. I WOULD recommend trying to get some sort of external monitor, but having never used this setup I wouldn't know how difficult that is. It doesn't record audio, though, so that's one obstacle. This'll run you around 4 grand.

As far as the editing goes, to really be taken seriously you should have not only a decent multi-track editor, but you should have a functional way to color correct your footage. Any additional effects from there are normally unnecessary except for extreme cases. It goes without saying that I won't exactly be pimping Windows Moviemaker here. It's nice for the basic stuff, but if you're looking for even a direct to DVD type of distribution, it's just not up to snuff.

A lot of people absolutely freak out over how good Final Cut Pro is, and I'm not entirely inclined to DISAGREE per se...but for the money you spend, I don't really see anything too absurdly worthwhile. You can do all of the things that the other serious NLEs can, but I haven't seen anything else that REALLY strikes me as spectacular. It prefers to run off of .mov files, and that's fine, but just about nothing SHOOTS natively to .mov in my experience, so you'll be re-compressing much of your footage as soon as you bring it in, which irks me. If you run a mac, it's viable, but I can't say anything beyond that.

Sony Vegas is a decent decision. It's a solid little stand-alone editor that can get lots of things done, though you really have to take the time to learn this editor SPECIFICALLY if you decide to pursue it, because it functions so differently from every other one. On the plus side, you can do passable color corrections inside the program, and quite phenomenal sound mixes, so it's at least good for that. Unfortunately, Sony doesn't play well with others, so you'd have to re-encode most formats into something that Vegas likes better. Only around $800, which is about half the price of Final Cut, so it's not too bad. Macs need not apply.

My top vote actually surprises me considering I used to hate this software with a fiery passion, but all and all I have to recommend Adobe. CS4 was off to a ROCKY start, but they patched themselves to something quite enjoyable, albeit a bit memory intensive. The glory comes in if you're running a decent enough rig to contemplate CS5. I have heard nothing but good things with CS5, and with the ability to run almost any video codec natively, as well as run it more smoothly than just about anything else out there, you're in for a treat. Both softwares include and communicate well with After Effects, which is far and away my favorite prosumer software. After effects will make you capable of color correcting your footage and so much more if used correctly. You can probably nab a decent editing package from Adobe for about a grand.

Finally, a quick word on encoding:

H.264

Thank you...no, but seriously, for web uploads, H.264 is quite a quality format, and will give you outstanding picture data in a small space. Other than that, you normally want to keep things as uncompressed as possible throughout the editing process (at least the raw footage, use proxies as necessary), and your editor should be able to transcode the footage to a DVD using the typical MPEG-2 format without much hassle. I like the way Adobe works again in this regard, as you can simply send the footage over to Encore without much fuss. Vegas does pretty well, but I find it a bit more complicated than Adobe.

Perhaps this is a bit more in-depth than people were looking for when they went into the thread, but I hope it might be a bit insightful for anyone looking to bump up their product to the next level.

Anyways, guys, adios!
The Following User Says Thank You to Caidh Mor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 43,722 Times in 25,926 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Awesome info, now for something worthwhile to film.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Diamond Dog

Thanked 1,077 Times in 510 Posts

I'd suggest if you're looking for a simple, high quality, and on the cheap side camera.. take a look at the Canon Vixia (or Legria if you're in the UK) HV20, HV30, or HV40 line of cameras.

Just some sample videos found on youtube to show you the quality, the HV20 can be found for as low as $350 used... the HV40 for around $600.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mittelmorder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Μολὼν λαβέ

I think now with windows 7 its called Windows DVD maker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf 1775 For This Useful Post: